Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
(I know Drawfee is a Youtube channel, but they're pretty podcast-adjacent and don't really have "shows", so I put this in RGD instead of TVIV)

Drawfee (originally "Morning Drawfee") is a collective of cool artists who draw improvisational art based on weird fan suggested prompts (like style mashups and trying to draw pop culture that they've never seen). Their art ranges from silly to incredibly impressive. They mostly came from CollegeHumor & Dorkly, but have been independent for over a year after the big CH layoff, and now rely on their Patreon. They also have a Drawfee Extra channel for occasional streams.

Co-created by Nathan Yaffe (who is still on the channel) and Caldwell Tanner (who isn't), the current roster now Nathan, Karina Farek, Jacob Andrews and Julia Lepetit, as well as recurring guests. They're all cool, funny people with pretty varied styles, but typically Julia's is the one people talk about most because she has an insane talent for making what's in her head come alive (like the time she taught herself Blender just to do a speed drawing). They're not just great videos for artists, they're also really chill videos to put on in the background or watch at 2x speed. New episodes are usually posted on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Some all time greats:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 31, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Drawfee rules and they are insanely talented to me, a person with no drawing ability.

I think a good recent episode of theirs was their fast food mascot redesigns, it does a good job of differentiating the hosts' styles-
https://youtu.be/439X1hJ_j9w

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great show! Drawtectives is a lot of fun.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Sankara posted:

Great show! Drawtectives is a lot of fun.

I need to go back and watch all of Drawtectives now that its finished. I'm very hype for season 2.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

C-Euro posted:

Drawfee rules and they are insanely talented to me, a person with no drawing ability.

I think a good recent episode of theirs was their fast food mascot redesigns, it does a good job of differentiating the hosts' styles-
https://youtu.be/439X1hJ_j9w
That episode reminded me of how underrated Jacob is, and I think it's because he's just so consistent that you don't really notice until he experiments. He's improved a lot too. I assume being Julia's partner has probably helped him branch out more.

And I love that Julia did both a whimsical classic BK and an insane dark one. The only way it could be more Julia is if she drew a background.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
All hail Strong Nathan!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Karina deciding to lean into being into Neopets has been a fun little mini-arc.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Drunk Baby Dragon is still their best gag

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Froghammer posted:

Drunk Baby Dragon is still their best gag

Seconded.

I never have time to watch their streams. Are they worth checking out? Any highlights?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sankara posted:

Seconded.

I never have time to watch their streams. Are they worth checking out? Any highlights?

I love their streams, both the Drawfee official one and Jacob and Julia’s Secret Sleepover Society gaming stream. Extremely chill, good-natured vibes. One of my favourite running gags is the audience getting Karina to draw different iterations of Hatsune Miku. I personally contributed Wombatsune Miku.

As for Secret Sleepover Society, the all-time highest highlight has to be “Oh, Hitman...!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Phylodox posted:

All hail Strong Nathan!
But can Strong Nathan beat Strong Frasier?

I love the kind of mashup stuff they do in this week's, because it just looks more insane the longer the video goes on.

"I'm going to give you legs."
"How?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just watched the Fighting Foodons (short-lived Pokemon knock-off) episode and it's probably in the running for most cursed Drawfee ep. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it before-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2lR1TYFl7s

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I just watched the Fighting Foodons (short-lived Pokemon knock-off) episode and it's probably in the running for most cursed Drawfee ep. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it before-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2lR1TYFl7s

Oh God I'd never seen this one and Spaghettaboutit is destroying me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ONLY GOD SPAGIVES

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Inspired by today's episode:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Good god, the animal skull challenge is equally hysterical and terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqeX0aK6L1U

And it's definitely not cursed. You can stop watching any time you want to.

HMS Beagle posted:

Oh God I'd never seen this one and Spaghettaboutit is destroying me.
That and Puddington's one giant goddamn tooth.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 30, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sticklefifer posted:

Good god, the animal skull challenge is equally hysterical and terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqeX0aK6L1U

And it's definitely not cursed. You can stop watching any time you want to.

That and Puddington's one giant goddamn tooth.

You must play The Bone Game!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Drawfee also has some of their twitch and or patreon stuff uploaded on thier other channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpKaZzU4K8X6i-9TXkiRikA/featured

The variety hour shows were glorious fever dreams, and the "boys" episode is the best of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RowdBk4H62Q

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I never liked the variety shows, to be honest. Not sure why, exactly.

Their newest episode on designing eeveelutions was very on brand. That is, they drew terrible things to behold.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've been putting episodes on in the background while I do other stuff for the last week or so and really enjoyed them, so thanks for making the thread. I'd heard Caldwell mention it throughout the NaDDPod stuff, but just never bothered to try it for whatever reason. Quick question after this week's Eevielution episode: do they regularly grouse about YouTube comment behaviour now? I think this is the first episode less than 6 months old I've watched, and it just found it quite annoying. Not that they did much or anything, but a YouTuber I used to watch a lot of videos from bitched a lot in his podcasts about YouTube comments and the behaviour of some of the more obsessive fans and it's just made me weary (and wary, I guess) of that behaviour. I'm assuming it's fairly isolated given I haven't heard them say a peep about it before in any of the few dozen videos I've watched, but worth asking.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Drawfee crew is just, like, ridiculously positive so if they’re grousing about something like that it’s most likely a bit they’re doing. Jacob in particular plays at being antagonistic towards the fan base, but it never feels like more than good-natured foolery.

The one exception is that Karina does get anxious about too many people overstepping on Twitter, which I think is 100% valid, anyways.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea most times it's just them being playfully antagonistic with the fans to be all 'oh god you messed up an obscure nerd detail, THE COMMENTS ARE GONNA EAT YOU ALIVE YOU FOOL'.

They do sometimes get real but like said that tends to be more obvious like Karina being all 'no but really it's weird when fans try to overstep just because they think following me on twitter means they're somehow tight with me' which is, yea pretty obviously a fair thing to say.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It doesn’t help that Karina apparently gets a lot of negative poo poo on Twitter. Like, equal parts people trashing her and infantilizing her. It’s to the point that they had to delete her page from the Drawfee wiki because people were just being straight up creepy and malicious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it sucks poo poo, don't blame her for having a more hair trigger than the others for going 'no but for real don't be weird'

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Karina was in a lot of the initial videos I watched, but absent from most of the ones I've watched over the last two days or so. Which is kind of a bummer, since I think she adds a good bit of character to the show. She has a really infectious laugh, and tends to end almost every sentence with a laugh because she's having so much fun with whatever they're doing. She seems to have a good rapport with everyone. Videos that are just Nathan, Jacob and Julia (or the lore master on videos to make Marvel/DC stuff) are still really good, but having Karina around too seems to add that little something. Strangely, I've only seen Caldwell on one video. Well, two, since I watched the first episode of Drawga too, but that's almost it's own little thing. I presume he left several years ago now?

Edit: Wait, Karina doesn't know know who Columbo is? She a babby :colbert:

This whole discussion is pretty gold, with Julia insisting that she and Jacob watch some Columbo later and Jacob just sighing "yeah, that's probably not going to happen; there's just too much poo poo to watch". And Nathan just drawing away in the background, glad that everyone else is preoccupied because it's more relaxing to draw when the others aren't watching him the whole time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 9, 2021

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Caldwell has moved on to other projects, yes. Including having a newborn.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love how they'll do crazy goofy poo poo for weeks on end that kind of hides some of their talents, but then every once in a while they'll pull out an episode like Turning Famous Paintings Into Anime from a couple weeks ago, where all four of them just bust out AMAZING ART.

Usually it's in the ones where they just comment over a speed recording because the paintings took them like 8 hours each, but they're always winners.

Phylodox posted:

It doesn’t help that Karina apparently gets a lot of negative poo poo on Twitter. Like, equal parts people trashing her and infantilizing her.
The show did a "Karina is baby" thing for a while, but of course when a fandom runs with something from the show they like, they run an ironman marathon with it. A similar thing happened with infantilizing Griffin on MBMBaM a while back.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Drawfee good

I think my favorite single best moment/joke is Caldwell's skyrim shout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC50JdOvZvk&t=450s

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The speed drawing episodes are my favourite ever. When they start with a blank canvas with a big play button on top you know it’s going to be great.

And I love how they’ve all been really challenging themselves during this pandemic. Jacob in particular talked quite often about how he tends to stick to his cartoony style, but then the “Painting Love, Actually Characters as Demon Souls Bosses” came along and he’s pushing himself to do full-on digital painting and it’s amazing.

And then there’s Julia and Blender...

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Phylodox posted:

And then there’s Julia and Blender...

That was great. The week before Jacob derisively said to Julia, "Do you know what a rectangle is?!" Then here she comes next week, casually dropping "Oh I learned Blender".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

I love their streams, both the Drawfee official one and Jacob and Julia’s Secret Sleepover Society gaming stream. Extremely chill, good-natured vibes. One of my favourite running gags is the audience getting Karina to draw different iterations of Hatsune Miku. I personally contributed Wombatsune Miku.

As for Secret Sleepover Society, the all-time highest highlight has to be “Oh, Hitman...!

I'd just like to add to this, because the Secret Sleepover Society episode for Game of Life 2 showed up in my feed as the next video after some Drawfee episodes, and I started it without even realizing it and really enjoyed it. Mind you, once I realized it was the second of two videos I stopped and watched the first. There's not really any major need, but some injokes carry over. Julia and Jacob play Game of Life against 2 computer opponents, Paige & Gonzo, and Jacob gets really, really annoyed at Gonzo because Gonzo keeps loving him over throughout the first few attempts at the game. Which is referenced in the second stream, where Karina and Nathan join them for a 4 player Drawfee play.

The episodes are fun to listen to the cast bounce off each other, but I also watched the Journey episode that popped into my feed, because I loved Journey when it came out and the Secret Sleepover Society episode about it is fantastic. Journey is a pretty simple game that's mostly about the experience, but has a multiplayer gimmick where someone else playing the same area will be paired up with you if you have the option switched on. At which point the only way you can interact is through bleeps, but being close to the other person makes your flight energy recharge so the game encourages you and some other random player to stick together. Which is really nice. The first person they run into is lovely though, and constantly guides them to secrets, and the two of them get really attached to this person. Which makes it rather melancholic when they switch levels, since there's a chance the other person might not be paired up with them.

The ending of the episode is amazing though, and one of the only instances I can think of where a spoiler warning might be necessary for a single episode stream. So if any of that sounds good, don't click the box because I do want to ask a question related to the ending on the off-chance someone else has also seen it and knows an answer: Julia and Jacob mention playing Journey with GoddessDancer again at some point to see more glitches in the game etc, but I don't see anything in the YouTube channel. The channel is maintained by a fan though, from what they say in the episode. Did they ever do another Journey episode with GoddessDancer, in the end? Also, is there any way to see older episodes on Twitch? I'm not terribly familiar with it, only really using it to watch Critical Role, but there only seem to be a couple of weeks worth of content in the videos section and the YouTube channel is all 480p. Which is fine for something like Game of Life, but Journey is a pretty enough game I'd love to see them playing it in full HD.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 16, 2021

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Karina why. Why would you do the things you have done today.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm really happy they all got to be in the same room for the first time in over a year.

But also

Sonic butthole

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 2, 2021

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I'm really happy they all got to be in the same room for the first time in over a year.

But also

Sonic butthole

I'm thinking about making that the first avatar I've ever bought on this godforsaken hellsite.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Drawfee Extra posted a Twitch video of the team playing Gartic Phone, which is a pretty fun game that I recommend if you like Jackbox-type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HIyoxwgcM

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Garlic Phone was real good.

Also more bone game but I havent watched that one yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXbc5f8hcw

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The 'draw VTubers you never saw before' episode is good, but the real gold is the good five minutes of demolishing Jacob at the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlfIOOTc6Og

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Complemented nicely by demolishing Nathan at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Mods please change my username to Catboy VTuber.