Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Holy poo poo the cop was a pedophile? The guy who did the cops on the beat threads?

It was always weird to me how much goons fawned over stories like ‘then we beat this guy up for saying he was innocent’ but in old guy language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

shelley posted:

It’s been a couple of days, but I happened to run across that thread today, so here it is:

Ask me about the French Foreign Legion

Thanks! Can't believe that was 14 years ago.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As I recall he made a few too many comments about "of course it's perfectly normal to get horned up over teenaged girls, that's when they're most attractive!" and the mods just got sick of it.

Yeah this was also the end point of the Bob From Marketing saga.

Bob From Marketing was an Eve Goon in his mid-20s based in Iceland who apparently posted pictures (often sexual) of his then-girlfriend on an internal Eve Goon forum. It turned out the girlfriend was 14 (:airquote: technically legal :airquote: in Iceland at the time). When the Eve Goons found this out, they immediately kicked him out. But he was never permabanned from the main forums, because there was a rule against "offsite drama" at the time.

Some years later, a different group of Goons got involved with the MMO Archeage. Bob From Marketing came out of hiding and joined them, putting himself in a key position in the clan. Some Eve Goons noticed this, and tried to point it out, but it took a while to take hold, and there was a lot of forums drama in the meantime. Finally, Bob From Marketing got perma'd.

At the end of all that, the cop dude made a "technically it's ephebophilia" post.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone ever seen an actual Tunnel of Love in the wild? They showed up in TV from the 90s and earlier all the time, but I've been to plenty state fair/carnival type events and I don't think I've ever encountered one. On a similar note how about kissing booths? That concept seems too skeevy to have ever actually existed so I assume it's basically the Andy Griffith show equivalent of a rainbow party.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone ever seen an actual Tunnel of Love in the wild? They showed up in TV from the 90s and earlier all the time, but I've been to plenty state fair/carnival type events and I don't think I've ever encountered one. On a similar note how about kissing booths? That concept seems too skeevy to have ever actually existed so I assume it's basically the Andy Griffith show equivalent of a rainbow party.

1) no, and 2) also no

Also, the wiki for kissing booth is tiny, and mostly about a 1971 LGBT event/protest called "hug a homosexual"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing_booth

As much as I instantly know what both of those things are, i really do now also wonder when either might have existed outside of media

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tunnels of Love seem liked they'd have huge potential for either a) couples going beyond whatever level of PDA the proprietors have decided is acceptable or b) date rape so if they really were ever a thing it's not too surprising they aren't any more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There is a sort of tunnel of love in the Gröna Lund amusement park in Sweden but it's more like a low budget It's a Small World thing with all these tiny quaint villages populated with animatronics singing a cutesy song.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Hey Arnold had an episode with one, so they were at least still a cultural memory in the late 90s/early 2000s.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Moon Monster posted:

They were known thing in the 1980’s. See these music videos:

The Tubes, She’s a Beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_k_VG6Syc

Bruce Springsteen, Tunnel of Love

https://youtu.be/M4K7XZGeHTE

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Themed log flume-esque rides were an early amusement park staple, and I think there was a brief period where there were a bunch of them that were actually called a "tunnel of love" in the first couple decades of the 1900s, but it was basically a passing fad that's lived on as a media trope.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
the Brooklyn Museum site has a photo of the Tunnels of Love @ Coney Island , and it reminds that "dating" as we know it today (being alone with the person) was not a thing back then and this gave couples perhaps their first chance to be alone even for a few minutes without being in a group/with chaperones/in public/at their parents house.

https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/181502

When these rides were introduced at the turn of the twentieth century, social etiquette often still made relaxed communication difficult.

Remember that prior to the norm of single people having their own apartments in big cities, dating was rarely a private activity.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That reminds me, you never really hear about lovers' lanes anymore either.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Clark County Fair in Washington state had a tunnel of love years ago, no clue if it still does now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cyril Sneer posted:

That reminds me, you never really hear about lovers' lanes anymore either.
kids these days don't even know where Makeout Point is

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
People jumping from windows and landing in blankets help by firemen. Was that ever a thing? Or just a made up cartoon thing?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

People jumping from windows and landing in blankets help by firemen. Was that ever a thing? Or just a made up cartoon thing?

It was real but sucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_net

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I thought being an adult would involve seltzer water you could spray out of a bottle and it never did.

I actually looked that up when I was putting together a grown-up bar and apparently it’s not been a thing for a very long time.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Are hall monitors a thing? Were they ever? Schools in California mostly have classrooms that open to the outside and you just walk from building to building. Maybe there's some corridors or something, but that's not really the same thing. So I never really had a chance to find out if hall monitors exist. They sure came up on TV a lot though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m very proud of my 3 months as a hall monitor. I got a sash to wear and everything.

So yes, they were real. And yes we were the worst and deserved every misfortune delivered upon us.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We had some people who could be called hall monitors. They mostly supervised the cafeteria at lunch. The rest of the time was spent hassling the younger teachers for being in the hall without a pass. We also had some security staff, they mostly directed traffic at the start and end of the day, and the rest of the day spent drinking coffee in the football coach's room.

I never saw students work as a hall monitor.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m very proud of my 3 months as a hall monitor. I got a sash to wear and everything.

So yes, they were real. And yes we were the worst and deserved every misfortune delivered upon us.

How did that work? I didn't understand the concept on TV because it seemed like the student doing it was somehow not attending classes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Krispy Wafer posted:

Somehow I thought being an adult would involve seltzer water you could spray out of a bottle and it never did.

I actually looked that up when I was putting together a grown-up bar and apparently it’s not been a thing for a very long time.

Bottled seltzer very nearly disappeared but apparently is making a very small comeback.

https://youtu.be/agAkMbk20y4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't seltzer just soda water? I can buy four different brands at any supermarket.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Scudworth posted:

How did that work? I didn't understand the concept on TV because it seemed like the student doing it was somehow not attending classes.

I wasn’t a hall monitor but I was an ‘assistant’ which meant for one period out of the day I sat in the principle’s office and ran errands for the assistant principle like picking up attendance forms and such. Also I got to sit and read a book for 80% of the period unmolested.

You get to do that if you place out of all the math at your grade level in junior high.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't seltzer just soda water? I can buy four different brands at any supermarket.

You can buy it but you can't really buy it in the the spray bottles. So if some guy is trying to hunt you, you can't confuse him by pretending to be a bartender and then spray him with seltzer water.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

my impoverished and underfunded public school didn't have enough classes to fill all your periods so they were counting on you getting into work study and leaving after lunch to go work at McDonald's or Wal-mart for class credit and if you didn't do that like I did then half your day was either as a Teacher's Assistant where you just graded quizzes for the teacher or as Peer Tutor which in theory was you teaching math to struggling kids who'd been failed by the system on their own terms and other freedom writers bullshit but in reality was just you going through the 20 late math assignments they'd yet to do and just explaining the problem repeatedly in progressively simpler terms while they'd try to manipulate you into just giving them the answer.

we did not have hall monitors though. sports coaches had to be employed by the school in a non-sports role so they just made them all security guards.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Yeah my high school had "student service" you could sign up for then you'd go to the middle school and mostly grade things for the period. Me and a friend always scheduled it for right after lunch so we could leave before lunch and go wherever we wanted. I worked at another job with the teacher I did that for so I'd usually grade spelling tests and things like that for about 15 minutes then she'd let me leave. I also scheduled study hall as my first period or two and never once showed up, never got in trouble for it. I think I had some kind of agreement worked out for that, it was a long time ago. I could be trouble when I was bored so they'd probably rather let me sleep in than be there. I was actually voted class skipper but the thing was I was ahead enough in credits I didn't need to show up for about half of the day my senior year and used loopholes like that for what I did need. We didn't have the go to a job for credits thing but there was a class where you'd go around and stock the vending machines and school store for credit too. There was also another one where people would go to an assisted living home for two periods but I never did that one. We didn't have hall monitors either but I'd assume it'd work the same way.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah my high school had "student service" you could sign up for then you'd go to the middle school and mostly grade things for the period. Me and a friend always scheduled it for right after lunch so we could leave before lunch and go wherever we wanted. I worked at another job with the teacher I did that for so I'd usually grade spelling tests and things like that for about 15 minutes then she'd let me leave. I also scheduled study hall as my first period or two and never once showed up, never got in trouble for it. I think I had some kind of agreement worked out for that, it was a long time ago. I could be trouble when I was bored so they'd probably rather let me sleep in than be there. I was actually voted class skipper but the thing was I was ahead enough in credits I didn't need to show up for about half of the day my senior year and used loopholes like that for what I did need. We didn't have the go to a job for credits thing but there was a class where you'd go around and stock the vending machines and school store for credit too. There was also another one where people would go to an assisted living home for two periods but I never did that one. We didn't have hall monitors either but I'd assume it'd work the same way.

That last one seems nice.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The only thing my school did is that everyone had to take a turn on the front reception desk. It was a day out of lessons, but it was boring as gently caress because it was just two of you sitting there all day and maybe signing for a delivery or pointing a visitor to the meeting room.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
All of our hall monitors were teachers.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Re: hall monitors, here's a reference from older media that probably wouldn't fly today:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just want to remark that this whole hall monitors/hall pass was probably one of the most baffling things any of us non-Americans ever learned about American schools.

shortly behind the guns, obvs

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just want to remark that this whole hall monitors/hall pass was probably one of the most baffling things any of us non-Americans ever learned about American schools.

shortly behind the guns, obvs

Yeah. It all seems pretty weird. Especially students grading papers or restocking vending machines. You attended class, studied in the library, attended practice if you played a sport, or you went home. That was pretty much it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Also what the gently caress is the whole Class President thing about?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They oversee endless drama and do lots of community service stuff in exchange for the ultimate power of having a say in the prom theme

e: we definitely didn't have any student hall monitors, but teachers would grade things in the halls when they had free periods, in hopes of preventing kids from smoking in the bathrooms or whatever. Students had to take a full schedule with maybe one study hall, there was no leaving early or coming in late or having half-days or anything like that.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 13, 2021

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They picked the color scheme for the dances, I guess. We also had a school-wide student president. I have no idea who was on student council. I was also a goon who didn't go to any school event, besides senior skip day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're class president you can list that on college applications.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At my school hall monitors were selected for 3 month terms. You wore a sash and helped, well…monitor the halls and bus lines in the morning and afternoon. We did not monitor anything during the actual school day.

It was on-the-job-training for future Karens.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Sweevo posted:

Also what the gently caress is the whole Class President thing about?

We had a similar thing here in Canada. Their main job was MCing pep rallies and assemblies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

If you're class president you can list that on college applications.

I ran for some position (I can't remember what it was because it had zero responsibilities, which was a HUGE plus) for this exact reason. I won because there were only 2 candidates for 4 positions, but I did run a strong campaign which consisted of my friends putting up silly photos of me all around the school.