Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bhodi posted:

I was thinking recently, how is dwarf fortress doing? I played it probably a decade ago, did it disappear under a pile of feature bloat and bad UI, did it get any better? Is this a good time to take another look at it? So many games are compared to it but no one talks about the game itself.

There's a GUI version of dwarf fortress coming out on steam at some point. Other than that it seems to be plugging along about as it always has been. I kind of fell off of it when it went 3D and never really got back into it completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Poil posted:

There is an autosell feature. The trade tab on the window where you buy and sell. You can use it to auto buy animal feed and stuff too.

Also if the economy is similar to the first game crops is a trap option. Berries, fruit and animal products is where it's at.

My last thoughts on Farm Manager 2021. I setup some auto-buy and auto-sell orders, and started on the 'Wheat Magnate' scenario. The goal is to grow 20k of 5 various cereal crops. You start with a piddling amount of money, no staff, a 10% quality combine, and a small ostrich farm. In order to afford your wheat fields, you have to run your ostrich farms. I setup my ostrich farms for 3 food stuffs, bought the maximum amount of ostriches, and started going. I made about 1.5k in income a month, and after 2 months I could afford 2 more ostrich farms. That got me up to about 4k in monthly income, by mid summer.

A friend was watching me play, and said "What is the difference between this game, and cookie clicker?"

I did not have an answer for him.

At max speed, it took over an hour to get to winter. I made about 20k in new money, and could not afford a single field.

Do not buy.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Bhodi posted:

I was thinking recently, how is dwarf fortress doing? I played it probably a decade ago, did it disappear under a pile of feature bloat and bad UI, did it get any better? Is this a good time to take another look at it? So many games are compared to it but no one talks about the game itself.

Dwarf fortress might be my favorite game of all time. But it's not a game, it's just a big sandbox to tool around in.

I was toying with the idea of making a 'how to play' video on YouTube.

If the ascii or arcane UI turns you off, the next best Dwarf-Fortress-like in my opinion, is Kenshi. Kenshi is a great blend between the adventure and fortress mode, and you can absolutely play Kenshi as a city-builder/RTS style game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Voxel Tycoon just put out a patch that visualizes rail exchanges better so you can troubleshoot bad signal placement. I really like how they handle signals in that game and this kind of stuff makes it even better. I think I'm still going to stay away from it for a bit to let them flesh it out more before going back but I like what I see.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

Voxel Tycoon just put out a patch that visualizes rail exchanges better so you can troubleshoot bad signal placement. I really like how they handle signals in that game and this kind of stuff makes it even better. I think I'm still going to stay away from it for a bit to let them flesh it out more before going back but I like what I see.

Oh neat this is something I really love in Mashinky. The signals are super easy but I feel like I am learning a bit about signals. I wish Mashinky had the magical teleport to depot thing though so it’s less of a nightmare to untangle my mistakes. Sometimes it’s better to just let the trains crash to get them out the way!

Have they stated whether this is part of the transport route overhaul or just building on the current system? Not being able to do level crossings drives me nuts in Voxel Tycoon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LeFishy posted:

Oh neat this is something I really love in Mashinky. The signals are super easy but I feel like I am learning a bit about signals. I wish Mashinky had the magical teleport to depot thing though so it’s less of a nightmare to untangle my mistakes. Sometimes it’s better to just let the trains crash to get them out the way!

Have they stated whether this is part of the transport route overhaul or just building on the current system? Not being able to do level crossings drives me nuts in Voxel Tycoon.

I think just building on, not sure what their longterm plans are really. But yeah I played a lot of OpenTTD and Transport Fever 2 through the years and mostly figured out how signals work just by looking up videos or trial and error. Railroad Tycoon had a good one too where it showed the flow of traffic and stop signs to indicate one-ways. I really really like how it's visualized in Voxel Tycoon though. I feel pretty confident that I could set up some pretty complex exchanges just by using the info they give me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's always irritated me that factorio has way better signaling than dedicated train games

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Azhais posted:

It's always irritated me that factorio has way better signaling than dedicated train games

I've never messed with trains in factorio much because it's a pain dealing with the biters constantly loving things up. I think I'm finally going to start a new factorio game with enemies turned off entirely.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

explosivo posted:

I've never messed with trains in factorio much because it's a pain dealing with the biters constantly loving things up. I think I'm finally going to start a new factorio game with enemies turned off entirely.

I always play Factorio with the enemies turned completely off. Its a ton more fun that way to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kvlt! posted:

I always play Factorio with the enemies turned completely off. Its a ton more fun that way to me.

I never tried it before because so much of the tech tree is devoted to defense stuff so I figured it'd be boring but yeah at this point I'd much rather just work on a base without having to worry about wall placement or feeding turrets and stuff. I kinda like how Satisfactory handles it where there are enemies on the map but they don't attack your base. It adds some danger when exploring but once you clear them out it's no longer a problem.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

explosivo posted:

I never tried it before because so much of the tech tree is devoted to defense stuff so I figured it'd be boring but yeah at this point I'd much rather just work on a base without having to worry about wall placement or feeding turrets and stuff. I kinda like how Satisfactory handles it where there are enemies on the map but they don't attack your base. It adds some danger when exploring but once you clear them out it's no longer a problem.

You can do this by turning Peaceful Mode on. There are enemies and their nests you have to clear out but they never attack.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can do this by turning Peaceful Mode on. There are enemies and their nests you have to clear out but they never attack.

:aaa:

That rules! I will check that out thank you!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You can also try Railworld-esque settings where biter nests don't respawn. So you keep the production puzzle of keeping your bulwarks defensible, but one you get those set up you're free to goof around in the space you've carved out without a care in the world.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eh I just ended up turning enemies off entirely. I like the idea of Peaceful Mode but really at this point I think I'd rather just not worry about em altogether. Thanks for all the help though!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grevlek posted:

Dwarf fortress might be my favorite game of all time. But it's not a game, it's just a big sandbox to tool around in.

I was toying with the idea of making a 'how to play' video on YouTube.

If the ascii or arcane UI turns you off, the next best Dwarf-Fortress-like in my opinion, is Kenshi. Kenshi is a great blend between the adventure and fortress mode, and you can absolutely play Kenshi as a city-builder/RTS style game.

DF let's plays are far more interesting to me than actually playing and trying to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing.

E: \/\/\/ this too. I don't even know what's different because I'm sure it's like "farmers will now grow plump helmets in clay if you enable 'gently whisper', also, there are now dragons.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 13, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dwarf Fort is gonna be a really good game in like 2030.

I see no real point in getting into now personally when the Steam release is apparently coming with Workshop/a moddable UI but I've also lived dwarf life a couple times in the past so I'm not in a hurry.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a one of a kind beast that inspired a lot of other games that mimic it with a way better UI.
I will be getting the steam release of it when it drops but have been holding off on playing it until then.

Also checking in on x4 foundations: there's resource management and FPS in it. I don't think I was warned enough about the grind. Of the 80hrs or so steam says I've played I would hazard that at best I was actively playing 20 and letting things run automatically in the background while doing other things. It is a slog to get to where you can start to do cool stuff and the ships and stations all get kind of samey after awhile.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

frogge posted:

Dwarf Fortress is a one of a kind beast that inspired a lot of other games that mimic it with a way better UI.
I will be getting the steam release of it when it drops but have been holding off on playing it until then.

Also checking in on x4 foundations: there's resource management and FPS in it. I don't think I was warned enough about the grind. Of the 80hrs or so steam says I've played I would hazard that at best I was actively playing 20 and letting things run automatically in the background while doing other things. It is a slog to get to where you can start to do cool stuff and the ships and stations all get kind of samey after awhile.

Ooh x4 chat

My big problem is that the AI is exceptionally stupid, especially in regards to capturing ships. "Board this ship" with "disable them" shouldn't mean "launch torpedo bombers until they explode," since the orders don't become "protect from harm" until after the boarding party arrives.

Meanwhile, the delegation is somewhat limited. "Hey boss, me, a chaff class light fighter, is damaged, what should I do? Keep fighting or escape to be repaired / rearmed?" gently caress I don't care it's why you're $400k credits, your job is to make the radar screens chaotic so that the actually good and expensive fighters and corvettes can do what they need to do, and the enemy fighters can't just blow past the good defenders.

It's such a decent game otherwise, it's just frustrating that parts of it make for a slog, to say nothing of an actual narrative end game beyond building your own fleets, and terraforming.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah the AI in x4 kinda feels like a roomba at times. My "favorite" is how often my mining ships will get held up by the police ships and wait for me to tell them to ignore it before continuing to mine.

You got the nail on the head with delegation. I think I'm finally at that point where everything just kind of snowballs upwards but what a slog to get here. Now I feel like I can do the fun stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For what it's worth, you can turn off most if not all of the AI asking you "polis call what do" type stuff in the global notifications menu.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grevlek posted:

My last thoughts on Farm Manager 2021. I setup some auto-buy and auto-sell orders, and started on the 'Wheat Magnate' scenario. The goal is to grow 20k of 5 various cereal crops. You start with a piddling amount of money, no staff, a 10% quality combine, and a small ostrich farm. In order to afford your wheat fields, you have to run your ostrich farms. I setup my ostrich farms for 3 food stuffs, bought the maximum amount of ostriches, and started going. I made about 1.5k in income a month, and after 2 months I could afford 2 more ostrich farms. That got me up to about 4k in monthly income, by mid summer.

A friend was watching me play, and said "What is the difference between this game, and cookie clicker?"

I did not have an answer for him.

At max speed, it took over an hour to get to winter. I made about 20k in new money, and could not afford a single field.

Do not buy.
Yeah, if you pick the wrong things you don't really make any money. Also sorry I meant animal products from a factory. If you had taken a loan and gone for a laughterhouse you'd probably have made a ton more money from ostriches, if you also had enough money to get more farms, and you could borrow enough money in the first place. The balance isn't great. Or it might have been that chickens are more profitable so going heavier on ostriches was a trap (good game design), but I haven't played the game myself. Could've tried fish or maybe raspberries instead. If it's anything like the previous game you absolutely want 5 skill staff for everything too.

None of the youtubers I've watched has had it that rough, granted they didn't try out any scenarios (I expect that the game didn't actually bother to inform you it was a more difficult one?).

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The problem with dwarf fortress is that some of the more experimental features of the game have been implemented in a very broken fashion for several years, and they pretty much make it a chore to play it as a game. The biggest problem is that unless you excessively micromanage your dwarfs your fortress will inevitably be consumed by a tantrum spiral, and even if it doesn't the gameplay will slow to a crawl even on a good pc within a few years due to poor optimizing. I hope the steam release fixes it so it's more playable as a management game again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Poil posted:

Yeah, if you pick the wrong things you don't really make any money.
I started a game the other day, and did nothing but the minimum to raise and slaughter chickens. After about half an hour, I had 9 coops and a slaughterhouse, and just two employee houses, a silo, and a warehouse. Chickens were eating three cheap foods - corn, soya, and potatoes.

When I stopped, I was netting about 15,000 per month. A combine costs 300k.

Game is slow.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hundred Days is out. I never got to play the demo but looks like it might still be up on Epic. Either way I'd be interested in hearing the threads thoughts if anyone picks it up because I am getting desperate for farming that isn't Farm Sim or plopping fields around Anno 1800 or Workers and Resources.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have built many fortresses on school supplied laptops ~more than a decade ago~. So yeah, I have a fondness for it.

BlindIRL is, a twitch/YouTuber who does contemporary dwarf fortressing, who I'm plugged into for updates. New steam release has been on my radar for the past few months.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just want to play 2d Dwarf Fortress with a working economy.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Hundred Days is out. I never got to play the demo but looks like it might still be up on Epic. Either way I'd be interested in hearing the threads thoughts if anyone picks it up because I am getting desperate for farming that isn't Farm Sim or plopping fields around Anno 1800 or Workers and Resources.
FWIW I was excited to get something more managey and when I played the demo it seemed like it was essentially a puzzle game but you get paid for the solution so I uninstalled it.

Someone else might correct me on it but I wanted to build a cool vineyard, not do a tile combo match puzzle thing.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, I only played the demo for a short bit, but it didn't really feel like a management game at all

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Poil posted:

If you had taken a loan and gone for a laughterhouse you'd probably have made a ton more money from ostriches
Can anyone tell me how to upgrade to laughterhouses? I'm still stuck at chucklehuts.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Awhile back in this thread there was some discussion about a city builder that had a mechanic where you drew cards from a deck to determine what buildings were available, and was somehow designed for multiplayer. Could anyone remind me what its name was?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Kingdoms Reborn I believe

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Thanks!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

Awhile back in this thread there was some discussion about a city builder that had a mechanic where you drew cards from a deck to determine what buildings were available, and was somehow designed for multiplayer. Could anyone remind me what its name was?

Sounds like Concrete Jungle, it can single player or competitive 1v1.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
While it's not a management game, more of a puzzler, since it's mentioned I want to confirm Concrete Jungle is great and is one I keep it perma installed to play off and on every couple months. There's very few games I regularly go back to like that.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Trivia had it right, I was actually gifted Concrete Jungle some time ago and kinda hated it, although I'm glad you guys like it :shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone checked out Before We Leave yet? It looks like a city builder + civ with no combat, it just came out yesterday and all the early access reviews are positive, but you know how that is

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I played it some in EA last year and it was alright. Haven't kept up with it, assuming no major improvements the current asking price of 15 bucks is a bit much. The production values are nice and charming, the mechanics are good but not great. I'd wait for a sale.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 14, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I played like 600 hours of DSP and I'm still chasing that high. I got Farm Simulator, we'll see how that goes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It's definitely no DSP, no game released in the last year hit me as hard and fast as that (if not as long as for some people.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got into Anno 1800 as my comedown from DSP but I am back to Workers and Resources to beam logistics directly into my brain.