Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Any ideas on when Father's Day sales will start? I want the DeWalt 60v chainsaw but I want to see if it goes on sale since I want their 20v ROS too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Any ideas on when Father's Day sales will start? I want the DeWalt 60v chainsaw but I want to see if it goes on sale since I want their 20v ROS too.

Usually overlap of Memorial Day and Fathers day happens like the week of 23/24 running to that following sunday/monday for memorial day and then starting fatherday that next sunday ad.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Uncle Enzo posted:

I can't recommend that chainsaw enough. I absolutely love mine. Check ebay too, you can usually find decent prices on new stuff there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on a leaf sucker-upper/mulcher/bagger thing?

I got a 45-foot oak in my back yard that loves to poo poo all over my back yard and pool year round. It’s a super chore to keep up with all the leaves and acorns.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got a 45-foot oak in my back yard that loves to poo poo all over my back yard and pool year round. It’s a super chore to keep up with all the leaves and acorns.

What do you mow with? Typically a bagger of some sort for your existing mower is going to be the best way to handle this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I have a bag on my mower, but it’s all mulch/dirt areas under the tree canopy. I think a handheld mulcher would make it easier than mowing the dirt.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean you can get a leaf blower that is reversible.. but you also have a mower that will do a better job really! If you want to mulch the leaves and not blow them around, mowing the dirt with something you already own is probably the best.

Source I had a smallish 10ksq ft.yard with like 6 trees on one side of the house.. I mowed the leaves because blowers were useless and gently caress all that raking.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 17, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think a handheld mulcher would make it easier than mowing the dirt.

It will not. They are al poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

It will not. They are al poo poo.

Ah. Well that sucks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I feel like I want a planer but cheap planers suck and I don’t think I would use it enough to spend 3-500 on an “ok” one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How's the Milwaukee M18 FUEL chainsaw?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like I want a planer but cheap planers suck and I don’t think I would use it enough to spend 3-500 on an “ok” one.

What about meeting yourself halfway and getting a hand held power planer? It's not as efficient as a big fatty thickness planer but will still do most of what you need. Plus most of them can cut rabbets too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I have an old wired Makita one and it freaking kicks rear end.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I bought this thing and it works so much better than I imagined it would.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PGX4SXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_H4JFRVAEFXT3BA7SC28Z

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I bought this thing and it works so much better than I imagined it would.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PGX4SXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_H4JFRVAEFXT3BA7SC28Z

This was literally what I was looking at when I made my original post. I wish it was battery powered but I suppose a 12A mulcher would melt batteries real quick.

e: Was also looking at the WG509.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 17, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

What about meeting yourself halfway and getting a hand held power planer? It's not as efficient as a big fatty thickness planer but will still do most of what you need. Plus most of them can cut rabbets too.

Any recommendations? Essentially I want to make a tabletop.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

This was literally what I was looking at when I made my original post. I wish it was battery powered but I suppose a 12A mulcher would melt batteries real quick.

e: Was also looking at the WG509.

I have a little Honda generator I set up where I'm working and it makes the cord less of a hassle. The cord doesn't really get in the way much and it has a little clip so it doesn't come unplugged that works pretty well. I agree battery powered would be nice but yeah, they probably wouldn't last long with the power this thing puts out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Any recommendations? Essentially I want to make a tabletop.

Get an old Stanley hand plane and get swol.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah as I understand it power planes are a niche tool for door hangers, not a portable thickness plane / powered hand plane. Your options as I understand them are a dewalt 735x, a friend or tool library of makerspace with a thickness planer, or a jack plane.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Bloody posted:

Yeah as I understand it power planes are a niche tool for door hangers, not a portable thickness plane / powered hand plane. Your options as I understand them are a dewalt 735x, a friend or tool library of makerspace with a thickness planer, or a jack plane.

You can make tools do lots of things.

*looks at hand that used to have all it's digits*

Seriously though, I use the gently caress out of mine like a thickness planer since my actual thickness planer bit the dust. Seriously works great.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Bloody posted:

No idea about recommendations but Leo of Tally Ho (the least bad boat youtube channel) uses a lot of power planes, largely Makita corded ones I think.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Vindolanda posted:

No idea about recommendations but Leo of Tally Ho (the least bad boat youtube channel) uses a lot of power planes, largely Makita corded ones I think.

I use a Makita N1900B (moldy oldy) and it kicks super rear end. drat thing is unstoppable and really easy to change/sharpen blades on.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

CommonShore posted:

How's the Milwaukee M18 FUEL chainsaw?

If it's anything like the Makita 18v, freakin' awesome. I'm surprised how often I'm reaching for it rather than the gas saws.

Needs bigger batteries though. The 3AH batteries it came with don't last long. otoh the batteries will last long enough to limb and buck 15' of 10" log into firewood.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

If it's anything like the Makita 18v, freakin' awesome. I'm surprised how often I'm reaching for it rather than the gas saws.

Needs bigger batteries though. The 3AH batteries it came with don't last long. otoh the batteries will last long enough to limb and buck 15' of 10" log into firewood.

Thanks! Someone in my household has some points to spend and wants a chainsaw and saw that in the list. My own cordless tools are Ryobi 18+ though, so this means we'd be buying into a second (actually third) system. The Ryobi 18 chainsaw looks like a little loving piece of poo poo.

E. Things even have developed since I posted. We want more range for our push mower now too, which is a greenworks one. So we're debating getting another greenworks tool (the 40v chainsaw) to get another battery, or getting a Ryobi 40v chainsaw/mower combo with two batteries, which is available and on sale now too.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 17, 2021

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I have the Milwaukee 12v mini chainsaw and I love it, though it's really more for pruning branches too large to lop than to cut big wood. I've cut down and lopped up an out of control fig tree with about a thousand 2-4 inch stems and it made cuts easily.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I'll +1 the Makita 18V chainsaw. Got it in a bundle with some 5AH batteries when a couple of my 3AH batteries wouldn't take a charge anymore. The Makita takes 2 batteries, and I was impressed with how long it lasts. You'll definitely need to recharge if you're making an afternoon of it, but if you have the dual charger and four batteries, the next pair would be charged well before you would need them.

It looks like that Milwaukee only takes one, so tough to say exactly how it would compare.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I got no dog in this race, but I got a kick out of this review for a husqvarna-

I'm 71 year old Grandma and love being outside and cutting my wood for the winter. I have a gas husqvara that I've used until this year I love it but my strength to start it has gone downhill with age so being in the Colorado mountain and using wood to suplment my heat I was getting frustrated with having to wait for my guys to make time to come help me, so checked out battery saws and found this little baby. I love it the battery life is just right for how long I'm able to work. This little guy follows its big brothers. I've been cutting 12" trees, it's a real champ. These are awesome saws worth the money.
Grandma Missy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat no Makita 18v chainsaws available in my area

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Home Depot had a 40v combo deal for a 21 inch mower + 18 inch chainsaw + 2 6A batteries. The mower seems good so far. Will report when we try out the chainsaw.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The husqvarna 120li is a decent chainsaw and I like it. But if you're doing any milling may I suggest the Oregon? The self-sharpening blade is great because you don't have to stop the cut to sharpen the saw. It's a real time saver. I have the corded version https://www.homehardware.ca/en/15-amp-18-self-sharpening-electric-chainsaw/p/5240001 but they make a cordless one too https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-572627-Cordless-Chainsaw-without/dp/B011NWVYS0

Different topic: Are forstner bits the ones where it pays to get a good quality one? I can't remember if it was forstner bits or spade bits where quality makes a big difference. Also, who makes good forstner bits?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What battery system should I buy into? None! Rewire your tools to all accept the same batteries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHeii834ujs

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I love that cheapskate lunatic :allears:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Forstner drill bits are for good quality holes, and it’s good to buy quality forstner drill bits.

Spade bits are for quick and dirty holes. Buy cheap ones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Steakandchips posted:

Forstner drill bits are for good quality holes, and it’s good to buy quality forstner drill bits.

Spade bits are for quick and dirty holes. Buy cheap ones.

what about a hole saw though

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

This Ryobi cordless tool set seems like it would suffice for about 75% of homeowner/DIY inquiries in this thread for $200 bucks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...RUWpwI0#overlay

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

This Ryobi cordless tool set seems like it would suffice for about 75% of homeowner/DIY inquiries in this thread for $200 bucks.

I am getting ready to get battery tools as an about-to-be-homeowner and leaning towards the Ryobi ecosystem. Thanks for posting because all I had seen so far were the $99 "two 18V 4.0Ah batteries plus one free tool" deals.

I'm considering getting that one you posted or the 4-tool set, and also adding one of the $99 deals.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

You're welcome. As with every tool deal there is the always the question of which tools are included and better batteries. This is a low financial bar to entry to a brand that will serve most DIYers just fine and they make a billion different tools. The cordless hot glue gun keeps attracting me for some reason for example.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ThirstyBuck posted:

I bought this set for 300 but ended up returning it and picking up a different Ryobi set that was also 300 at the time. But I'm determined to not second guess myself all the time, I'm happy with the decision I made at the time! I was keeping "Ryobi Days" in mind when I made my purchase, time to pick up a multi-tool!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ThirstyBuck posted:

You're welcome. As with every tool deal there is the always the question of which tools are included and better batteries. This is a low financial bar to entry to a brand that will serve most DIYers just fine and they make a billion different tools. The cordless hot glue gun keeps attracting me for some reason for example.

Same. Don't know quite why, but I really want a cordless glue gun. Unfortunately no one on AliExpress is selling a Milwaukee battery -> Ryobi 12v tool adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hexigrammus posted:

Same. Don't know quite why, but I really want a cordless glue gun. Unfortunately no one on AliExpress is selling a Milwaukee battery -> Ryobi 12v tool adapter.

The Ryobi hot glue gun is 18V so that may be the issue. I've found that's it's not too power hungry so I can use the awful 1.2Ah batteries that came with the 7 tool kit in the glue gun. I got a couple of 5Ah from direct tools factory outlet for the ones that actually use a lot of power. It's a shame the new multi tool kits don't include the hot glue gun, it's probably the most used tool I have from that kit (with the second being the vacuum, I'm never buying a dust buster vacuum that can't take replaceable batteries again).

If you don't mind factory blemished the few items I've gotten from them seem like brand new besides the box. I've picked up a Ryobi 3/8" ratchet wrench, angle grinder, and two 5Ah batteries.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/