Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Duck and Cover posted:

Shadow of Colossus feels like it was made by people who gave a poo poo. I didn't get super far into it (stompy horse maybe? Maybe the one after? I don't remember) but I can appreciate why people would like it as much as they do.

I'd say it's unfortunate it didn't inspire more imitators, but then again maybe that's just as well.

...though in retrospect, Breath of the Wild has four massively missed opportunities to rip it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

jokes posted:

Holy poo poo lol, the worst opinion

Early Final Fantasy is all menus. That's the game. It's like you're saying the role playing and dice rolls is getting in the way of you playing DnD

That's not inconsistent with thinking it makes for sucky gameplay

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but I like that game so

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

I don't like the job system in FFV.

I also don't like the espers or materia juggling.

Just let me play the game, not gently caress around in menus... Which in retrospect is the key appeal of these games, I guess.

How did college me ever finish these games? When did my brain break and become allergic to minutia?

dude the combat system is just loving around in menus. its all menus

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

That's not inconsistent with thinking it makes for sucky gameplay

thats fair JRPGs are terrible

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

dude the combat system is just loving around in menus. its all menus

*In a goblin voice*

Looks like combat's back on the menus, boys!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say it's unfortunate it didn't inspire more imitators, but then again maybe that's just as well.

...though in retrospect, Breath of the Wild has four massively missed opportunities to rip it off.

Breath of the Wild ripped off shadow of the colossus constantly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flavor.flv posted:

Breath of the Wild ripped off shadow of the colossus constantly

Well yeah, I mean more going all the way and having the Divine Beasts require climbing em as they rampage around rather than the half-assed pacification sequences.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

jokes posted:

Holy poo poo lol, the worst opinion

Early Final Fantasy is all menus. That's the game. It's like you're saying the role playing and dice rolls is getting in the way of you playing DnD

Maybe that's it... I've been infected by Story Games like Apocalypse World and now I just don't want to deal with menus?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Meme Poker Party posted:

*In a goblin voice*

Looks like combat's back on the menus, boys!

Why would Orcs have menus?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like the Kai Leng thing seems to be either people misunderstanding what they actually didn't like about him, in-game presentation and role rather than actual design, or lingering 'don't get your gross weeb poo poo in my sci-fi nerd poo poo' sentiment that I thought we'd already realised was always laughable.

i hate kai leng for the same reason i've hated unbeatable bosses since 2001, which is star ocean 2. aka the game with the unbeatable bosses that one-shot you, except there's a catch: you can't DIE, either, because if you do you get a regular game over. instead you need to run the clock for 5 minutes scooting around these super fast bosses who you can't really do damage to.

iirc kai leng also does this :dawkins:

and you know what? if you DO kill the timed unbeatable bosses using an instant death attack item, you soft lock anyway because the game is scripted to progress based on the "ran out of time...!" flag being thrown in combat :chloe: honestly that was kind of a big oversight because the invincible bosses aren't immune to item damage or effects (both of which have poor damage and accuracy so i can see how it was missed), but i also like it because the tri-ace devs explicitly programmed every enemy in the game to have a non-zero chance for instant death to stick.

including the final boss :unsmigghh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kai leng ate my lucky charms in the world's biggest power move. For that he must die.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Kai Lang released the notorious diss track “Who Spaced Ya”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

!Klams posted:

Why would Orcs have menus?

They mainly dine a la carte, yes

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

They gave the Asian space ninja slanted cyber-eyes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RE8 is bad and boring. It's a waste of programmers' and artists' time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vic posted:

Its neither bad or boring, its just not very long.

Like i bought RE7 9 months after release and paid £16 for it instead of £45. Just be sensible folks, wait 9 months, save up. Maybe one day you won't have to rent

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vic posted:

Sorry you don't like it, Im having a good time but its definitely a messy game.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

If I liked RE1/RE2make/RE7 and don't like any other RE games (I did like 4 but not in the same way) would I like RE8?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nice Van My Man posted:

If I liked RE1/RE2make/RE7 and don't like any other RE games (I did like 4 but not in the same way) would I like RE8?

Re8 is really Re7: part 2. so yeah i think you'd like it

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Cool, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn several days ago.

It's not perfect, it has it's issues, but it kicks the poo poo out of the entire drat Monster Hunter series and feels more like what Monster Hunter thinks it is.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Horizon Zero Dawn somehow has one of the coolest post apocalyptic stories out there, it has some of the best audio logs and journals around.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Horizon has incredible combat, some of the coolest videogame enemies and a world that felt neat to explore. Didn't overstay its welcome either, almost got the platinum in just under 40 hours. Its just a good 9/10 videogame, didn't do a lot wrong really now that i think about it but didn't really feel special or whatever.

The menus were a bit annoying i suppose

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its neither bad or boring, its just not very long.

Like i bought RE7 9 months after release and paid £16 for it instead of £45. Just be sensible folks, wait 9 months, save up. Maybe one day you won't have to rent

Are you saying that you haven't played it while also telling me to save money I didn't spend on the game?

RE8 is too long for the story it has actually. I've finished it twice now, 17 hours and I'm done with mercenaries too. For the second playthrough I modded the FOV and run speed. It was less frustrating to move and shoot but I was playing on hardcore so now everyone just took more shots. Only one type of enemy pops a head on headshot. It doesn't have critical hits system. Guns unfun to shoot especially shotguns. Shotguns have the same effect on enemies like a handgun. Unlockable weapons bad too. Upgrading a gun to max doesn't give a special bonus, only allows you to unlock infinite ammo for it. You unlock infinite ammo by doing challenges like "kill 80 enemies with shotgun" and "kill 160 enemies with a shotgun" etc for each weapon type.

The writing is all bad. The level design takes a nosedive after the first area. 2 of the 4 areas are gimmick areas which are painfully boring to replay. Think Sherry Birkin segment in RE2MAKE but it's third of the game with annoying sound effects (screeching cackling, baby crying, metal scraping, vomitting). The fourth area are just samey maze like metal corridors.

Everything has very pretty graphics but it's such a slog to play.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

For me that's a big no

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The second I activated detective vision in horizon I knew I was gonna hate it. Add in the stupid rear end loot rarities and loot boxes in a single player game and I binned it after reaching Meridian.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RE2make absolutely ruled gosh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was good but lacks the replay value of the original RE2

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How many games do you have to not buy on release to be able to buy a home? Asking for a friend.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
RE8 is good but not great. I had more fun with it after the initial run because there I was running all over every area item hunting instead of just blowing through it. Whether you should get it now or wait for a sale really depends on how much you like the franchise and if you think you'll play it more than once. Also yeah, RE2r is a game where you can go back after a few months for a replay just to play it and it's fun but tbh now that I'm done with 8 I dunno that I'll ever go back to it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

site posted:

tbh now that I'm done with 8 I dunno that I'll ever go back to it

:same: but with RE3

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I actually like that Kai Leng is a tryhard anime edgelord. He so clearly wants to be Shepherd.

I don't like that the game takes control away from you, and your reward for beating Kai Leng is another cutscene where Kai Leng humiliates you and kills one of the most popular party members. I think most people feel relief rather than triumph when Leng finally dies.

In general I hate boss battles that are followed by a cutscene where LOL, you actually lose, your PC can't be more powerful than our precious characters. Jedi Fallen Order did that how many times? Even maiming Vader at the end doesn't make it all feel worth it.

Lodin posted:

Anyway, my unpopular Mass Effect opinion is that the Mattock is by far the best gun in the series and once I get my hands on it in 2 and 3 I hardly ever use anything else. It's basically a medium range semi auto sniper rifle.
Even as a Vanguard, I usually spurn shotguns in favour of an assault rifle. Is that weird?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE8 is close to being great but has some stumbly bits throughout and things that feel like they were stitching together what they had with no time to make them gel better. The things alive but it ain't perfect.

Anyway, 30 points better than RE7 on a 100 point scale.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I made a clip of what happens when you play on difficulty above standard and how the shotguns work in this game.

https://clips.twitch.tv/StrangeSincereStarlingPanicBasket-ZWkXM44DQX5Huvqu

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like that the game takes control away from you, and your reward for beating Kai Leng is another cutscene where Kai Leng humiliates you and kills one of the most popular party members. I think most people feel relief rather than triumph when Leng finally dies.

In general I hate boss battles that are followed by a cutscene where LOL, you actually lose, your PC can't be more powerful than our precious characters. Jedi Fallen Order did that how many times? Even maiming Vader at the end doesn't make it all feel worth it.

I feel the Vader thing is different because you don't actually fight him (not really). The attitude from the beginning is "I gotta get the hell outta here!!!" It's not like the bad trope where you fight a boss using the normal game mechanics, you are winning, but then suddenly you lose because cutscene.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cutscene powers are the worst. You play the game and suddenly the controls are taken from you and your character gets banged on the head and passes out :rolleyes:

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I get more of a chuckle than anything out of it when I absolutely destroy Kai Lang in the Thessia encounter and then he wins anyway. I agree it's lazy game design and breaks immersion, but gently caress it, it's still funny.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The games treat Phoenix Wright like a loser who bluffs his way through a C- life but I just took four high-profile cases in one week and won them all in a legal system that's stacked heavily towards convictions, I should be a national loving celebrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn somehow has one of the coolest post apocalyptic stories out there, it has some of the best audio logs and journals around.

HZD is an excellent game however these things you mention are actually the least interesting things about it