Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

where does conda fit in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Fool posted:

where does conda fit in that

Mine don't want none.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

conda is basically both put together but iirc its mostly for data science doers because it has nice packages for installing bullshit-dependency-chain scientific libraries

i think often people actually still pip install poo poo inside a "conda environment", they just use conda to install whatever specific bundle of binary dependencies are required for the specific version of python matplotlib works with this specific helper wrapper for autogenerating d3.js visualizations from that specific version of scipy and also it includes a compiled version of some nvidia thing that lets numpy use your gpu

or whatever. i dont actually use any of that poo poo but i worked at a consulting firm for a log time where everyone did

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

12 rats tied together posted:

conda is basically both put together but iirc its mostly for data science doers because it has nice packages for installing bullshit-dependency-chain scientific libraries

i think often people actually still pip install poo poo inside a "conda environment", they just use conda to install whatever specific bundle of binary dependencies are required for the specific version of python matplotlib works with this specific helper wrapper for autogenerating d3.js visualizations from that specific version of scipy and also it includes a compiled version of some nvidia thing that lets numpy use your gpu

or whatever. i dont actually use any of that poo poo but i worked at a consulting firm for a log time where everyone did

yes this is correct

an average pip package wont run into crazy fortran dependency hell

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

conda has a much more consistent dependency resolver than pip does (did?) and makes commandline awareness of your env easier but thats it, i dont know if its deterministic

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my buddys first job out of school was at conda and she had to file a sexual harassment lawsuit at the end of it, apparently

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i definitely always use pipenv for work stuff and manage python itself through asdf, all of which works correctly and reliably

that said, maybe my brain is broken by having been a ruby person, but god i hate python and its meaningful whitespace and also wtf is with needing to pass __self__ around everywhere, i mean shut up

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i simply write a series of functions that pass around data and maintain no state besides that data op

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

venv is for package isolation, pyenv is for version isolation, fortunately pyenv-virtualenv exists so you can do both

e: i use pipenv, though

I love that Python TMTOWTDI ethic.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Python is a great language except for anything having to do with packaging and deployment. also cpython is slower than frozen molasses and nothing you care about runs on any of the alternative interpreters

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

hbag posted:

why the gently caress did nobody tell me about pyenv sooner
this poo poo's great

If you want the single tool, plugin-for-different languages version: https://asdf-vm.com/

I'm not sure I want to switch over to this, as I only use multiple python versions right now...

E: Dang... beat

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
asdf is amazing

i use it for a ton of poo poo and also it's super easy to write your own plugins for it. it's just sane as hell and it's like the only software i actively evangelize (other than openwrt which shows my brainworms)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
dang how have i never heard of asdf before

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

pyenv is the next best thing to not using python that i have found

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
asdf looks real nifty. I try to use various ecosystems' tools but they all have different names and there's usually 2-6 different options and I forget everything when I only use go/node/python/ruby like twice a year. some consistency would help a ton

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

ya know when you write a bunch of semi-complicated code + unit tests and everything just works?

that cant be right. there must be a mistake somewhere but damned if i can find it :confused:

every time this has happened to me there is some tiny corner case that is broken in a very weird way and i don't find out until 8 weeks later when I have entirely forgotten everything about the code

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Share Bear posted:

i simply write a series of functions that pass around data and maintain no state besides that data op

this guy gets it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I also write functions :geno:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

psiox posted:

wtf is with needing to pass __self__ around everywhere, i mean shut up

python was designed for functions being the preferred abstraction units, not classes

so yeah, when in pythonland you should lean towards functions

also because OOP is a sham and you should grow out of it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
OOP more like POO

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

am i going loving crazy here? there isn't a self dunder, is there?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

am i going loving crazy here? there isn't a self dunder, is there?

No I think they just got confused in def __init__(self)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jabor posted:

OOP more like POO

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lots of other languages have explicit self/this/whatever parameters. It's not that weird.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
using self in method signatures is good as hell and beats having to decode the random magic words c# puts in front of its functions

`buttfarter(self, velocity)` : clearly an instance method that uses its internal state and a velocity parameter to fart a butt

`abstract sealed private ataraxic vorpal List<Fart> buttfarter (Velocity velocity)`: a statment dreamed up by the completely deranged

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
in java you can even explicitly put “this” as a first parameter to a method and annotate it with poo poo if you want, and it behaves the same. useful for static analysis tools.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

`abstract sealed private ataraxic vorpal List<Fart> buttfarter (Velocity velocity)`: a statment dreamed up by the completely deranged

the best part of working in a lovely c# code base is finding all the overloads and extension methods for abstract sealed private ataraxic List<Fart> buttfarter since the signature is so loving long that you have to scroll right to find the part thats different

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I hate machine

handle
Jan 20, 2011

i'd love a recommendation: i need to choose between python, php or node.js for a small web application. the application is CRUD-like but needs single-user login.

problem is (a) i don't know python well, (b) php 5 still makes me scared to consider php 8, and (c) i've written a lot of vanilla JS but not frameworks/server-side.

webhost makes it easy to start with python/django or php/laravel. i can install node.js but i'd have to figure out the frontend, i guess? any advice for which approach is most salvageable if i only half know what i'm doing?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

handle posted:

i'd love a recommendation: i need to choose between python, php or node.js for a small web application. the application is CRUD-like but needs single-user login.

problem is (a) i don't know python well, (b) php 5 still makes me scared to consider php 8, and (c) i've written a lot of vanilla JS but not frameworks/server-side.

webhost makes it easy to start with python/django or php/laravel. i can install node.js but i'd have to figure out the frontend, i guess? any advice for which approach is most salvageable if i only half know what i'm doing?

wander into the woods, never to be seen again?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

psiox posted:

that said, maybe my brain is broken by having been a ruby person, but god i hate python and its meaningful whitespace and also wtf is with needing to pass __self__ around everywhere, i mean shut up

i mean on the one hand you could say the same about me bc i did ruby for money for a good amount of time, but yeah literally the only thing that python has on ruby is a handful of useful libraries like numpy. ruby is super lovely, but pretty much all of the reasons that ruby is lovely are also reasons that python is lovely

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

handle posted:

django's automatic admin site is amazing, use django

not sure what single-user login means but i'm sure django can handle it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean on the one hand you could say the same about me bc i did ruby for money for a good amount of time, but yeah literally the only thing that python has on ruby is a handful of useful libraries like numpy. ruby is super lovely, but pretty much all of the reasons that ruby is lovely are also reasons that python is lovely

if you want a lang w/ 5 mcmc libraries (aka, 1 actually good one), you have the wonderful choice of c fortran or python

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

handle posted:

c#

mystes
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

They mean it doesn't need to support multiple users, I think.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you want a lang w/ 5 mcmc libraries (aka, 1 actually good one), you have the wonderful choice of c fortran or python

right im not saying it isn't a legitimate advantage. it is. well i mean, it is if you give a poo poo about doing monte carlo or whatever else with numpy or pandas. it's the same thing in my field - i say gently caress python right up until i need to use scapy for something cause poo poo i guess it's better than the alternatives

bdid put the libraries into a good language. also please create a good language

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait

it's love

love is the good language

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Bored Online posted:

wander into the woods, never to be seen again?
done. all my posts are via carrier pigeon and transcribed by gig workers. please send more candles.

pokeyman posted:

django's automatic admin site is amazing, use django

mystes posted:

They mean it doesn't need to support multiple users, I think.
thank you folks! yep, we only need the one user. i'll check out django first.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

wait

it's love

love is the good language

dude im writing clojure for money nowadays

im sittin here lookin at this 70 member stack trace thinkin: it aint a good language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dude im writing clojure for money nowadays

im sittin here lookin at this 70 member stack trace thinkin: it aint a good language

i hear you like runtimes so we put a runtime in your runtime