Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I absolutely love this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Forever Train should've been a Smash Bros stage

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mix. posted:

you also have to understand the original nier has some commonalities with drakengard 1 (and 3, though 3 came afterwards), the other games in the franchise besides automata, since part of D1's whole "deal" is that it actively hates you, the player, and takes things you'd do in other games without really questioning it and makes it deeply un-fun or frustrating, as some kind of narrative on the structure of games and how players engage with them. (i'd also argue nier is the nicest of the bunch, for reasons that could be considered a spoiler so i won't say)

Honestly I think it was just incompetence in D1's case, and became intentional in replicant and d3.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's an Ocarina of Time romhack that turns it into a roguelike survival game where you play as Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uvoytcyw04

Huh

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

Holy poo poo what

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The thing that surprised me was Fara Phoenix making an appearance in one of Starfox 2's prototypes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Good Star Fox 64 Memory: The level where you fight the evil squad in an arena and just flying around without trying to fight back until I did a loop-de-loop and they all crashed into each other and died, firing like 20 voice lines simultaneously.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thank you Nintendo Power for giving us Star Fox Car Bomb and Samus's bounty hunter buddy who looks just like NES box art bomberman

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1165616042829393921

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played through sf64 dozens and dozens of times as a kid, can’t say that I remember any of the music

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
This thread title reminded me that I've been wanting to play Persona 5 Royal, so I have been, and it is just a joy to play. It's long as poo poo but everything is so streamlined and easy-to-use and accessible that I never feel like my time is being wasted. The fast travel system is maybe the best I've ever seen, the sound effects are just perfectly satisfying, it has so much visual flair. Hell of a game!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Holy poo poo, "I was young, in love, and had a spare bomb!" Is a powerful line

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's been exam week in P5R so I have been playing like 30 seconds a day lol

Meanwhile my other daily driver, NieR R, I'm close to the lunar tear... I have a stock of peach and pink seeds so I just need to keep planting for that 1% success rate

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arzaac posted:

Holy poo poo, "I was young, in love, and had a spare bomb!" Is a powerful line

Feb 2022 thread title right there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my favourite part of Subnautica Sub Zero so far is the Buttholefish that survives by hosting a parasite fish that shits in the middle of the butthole fish and it absorbs that for nutrients.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hirsute posted:

This thread title reminded me that I've been wanting to play Persona 5 Royal, so I have been, and it is just a joy to play. It's long as poo poo but everything is so streamlined and easy-to-use and accessible that I never feel like my time is being wasted. The fast travel system is maybe the best I've ever seen, the sound effects are just perfectly satisfying, it has so much visual flair. Hell of a game!

Did they add anything persona fusions that makes it easier to keep a track of what you are doing? Because in the original thats the exact opposite of what you are describing. I agree with you though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

I played through sf64 dozens and dozens of times as a kid, can’t say that I remember any of the music

Everyone remembers this theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjwSy7R-syg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZiMFgzJ2JI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxL9Wgxt2QE

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the biggest weakness of the series post-64 is just that the games shift so much over to the writing team who just don't have the chops. Like, as soon as you get into Assault the game gets way into trying to ship characters together and goofy backstory stuff. In 64, Pigma tells you "Your daddy squealed reeeeeal good before he died!" and that's basically as much as you know about Jame's fate after getting captured by Andross, and then in the expanded universe you learn Andross tried to kill James because he and Fox's mom were in love and so he accidentally kills her with a loving car bomb lmao

they did this with the hardy boys books too. i mean the car bomb thing

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I have a really bad habit of getting to 90% completion in a game and then putting it down for 6 months - indefinitely. I finally finished Half-Life: Alyx last night (I only had 1.5 hours left of gameplay and started playing the game like 8 months ago) and this morning I feel like I liberated a few GB of mental RAM. Does anyone else have this problem

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mkvltra posted:

I have a really bad habit of getting to 90% completion in a game and then putting it down for 6 months - indefinitely. I finally finished Half-Life: Alyx last night (I only had 1.5 hours left of gameplay and started playing the game like 8 months ago) and this morning I feel like I liberated a few GB of mental RAM. Does anyone else have this problem

Not getting to 90%, but yes to everything else. For the longest time I would start a game and play for a few hours and then move on. The fact that I was enjoying a game did not stop me. I do it constantly even now.

I just want to experience everything all the time and there are so many games and I do not want to miss a single one! I am so glad to have actually been completing games again thanks to putting myself on a schedule :D

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mkvltra posted:

I do it all the time. Its usually because I’ve seen pretty much everything the game has to offer and the story isn’t interesting enough to finish. I’m not really a fan of spectacle boss battles so the final sequences in any game are usually the worst and most tedious parts for me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I tend to abandon games in the second half as well, if it starts to feel like I've progressed all that I can as a player and am just repeating the same movements over and over to get to the end. This is especially the case in games where you can figure out optimal strategies for things. It took me awhile to finish Pillars of Eternity 1 because I couldn't resist having a Cipher in the party who would charm and dominate the enemies and then use two insanely powerful multi-target attacks (Antipathetic Field and Ectopsychic Echo) and shred through everything. It is insanely powerful and fun for awhile but by the end of the game it just feels like rote, so I'd get bored and move on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed
https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1393191684251570176

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

did these people also do the smash themes? i havent heard this song in ages and its whole vibe seems smashy

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I played Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS up until the last boss God, but I guess I was too low level or something because I could not beat him, and that was 100+ hours in so I was pretty sick of grinding at that point.

I have tried to return a couple of times, but I'm completely lost as to where to go or what to do and I have no idea what any of the classes are good for.

I did actually complete FF13 over a period of 4 years though. There was a break of about two years or so between me arriving at the final dungeon and beating the boss, so it can be done in some circumstances.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quote:

Georgie, please stay
They took your breath away

im suffering critical psychic damage

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mkvltra posted:

Oh yes, the better a game is the less likely I am to finish it. Right now I'm sitting at 80-90% done with Control, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Pathfinder Kingmaker, and a couple others I can't recall.

Honestly I do it with book series sometimes too. Never read the last book or not finished all of the last book for Dark Tower, Left Behind, or Harry Potter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Khanstant posted:

did these people also do the smash themes? i havent heard this song in ages and its whole vibe seems smashy

The smash bros Star Fox stage uses an arrangement of this theme. Koji Kondo is listed on the soundtrack for both games but I have no idea if he did any compositions or if they're just crediting him for the original tracks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games are too long

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sf64 was a good length though

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Oh yes, the better a game is the less likely I am to finish it. Right now I'm sitting at 80-90% done with Control, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Pathfinder Kingmaker, and a couple others I can't recall.

Honestly I do it with book series sometimes too. Never read the last book or not finished all of the last book for Dark Tower, Left Behind, or Harry Potter.

I never read the last Harry Potter either lol, I think mostly because I had already outgrown the series by the time it was published.

Are we brokebrained? Is this some kind of advanced procrastination? I put like 50 hours into Yakuza: Like a Dragon (insanely sick game), attempted the last boss twice only to Game Over both attempts because of bullshit instakill RNG attacks. That's when I decided to just uninstall the game and watch a recorded stream of someone beating the game so I could at least experience the ending of the story through a Proxy Gamer. If I were ten years younger and if I didn't live with my girlfriend (she's a Gamer too, currently on Demon Island in Okami- I love her) I'd probably just get really stoned and roll the dice in Y:LAD until I actually finished the game for myself.

My values and priorities have evolved a lot since I was less of an adolescent. Maybe not finishing certain games is a positive form of brokebrain?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

Sf64 was a good length though

True. What are some Cool Games that don't wear out their welcome by the second act / 80-90% mark?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mkvltra posted:

True. What are some Cool Games that don't wear out their welcome by the second act / 80-90% mark?

hotline miami, titanfall 2, mirror’s edge, portal 1 & 2, gunpoint, max payne 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Titanfall 2 and Mirror's Edge are like my posts: awful to mediocre

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mkvltra posted:

I never read the last Harry Potter either lol, I think mostly because I had already outgrown the series by the time it was published.

Are we brokebrained? Is this some kind of advanced procrastination? I put like 50 hours into Yakuza: Like a Dragon (insanely sick game), attempted the last boss twice only to Game Over both attempts because of bullshit instakill RNG attacks. That's when I decided to just uninstall the game and watch a recorded stream of someone beating the game so I could at least experience the ending of the story through a Proxy Gamer. If I were ten years younger and if I didn't live with my girlfriend (she's a Gamer too, currently on Demon Island in Okami- I love her) I'd probably just get really stoned and roll the dice in Y:LAD until I actually finished the game for myself.

My values and priorities have evolved a lot since I was less of an adolescent. Maybe not finishing certain games is a positive form of brokebrain?

not to mention it was widely spoiled so the big twist in the book was revealed and the rest was a forgone conclusion. Oh wow, the good guys win in the end! Don't actually need to read that bit, I get it. In Left Behind's case, the second coming of Christ was just boring and tbh Christ's glorious kingdom kind of sucks, the anti-christ's world was better. No offense, God, but please get your poo poo together before the real deal.

In your case it sounds like you're just making more informed choices about your time spent. You beating the last boss mechanically probably not significantly different than anyone else doing it.

I think more generally though, endings just are never the best part of anything, unless that things sucks and you just want it to be over.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Titanfall 2 and Mirror's Edge are like my posts: awful to mediocre

I don't get this joke because both of those games are pretty good to great. :confused:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Video games are too long

i've been getting a bit demoralized with ghost of tsushima, working through act 2 as it sinks in just how long the game is. i guess i could start skipping quests...

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Mirror's Edge has the better Still Alive.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mkvltra posted:

I youtubed the end of outer wilds and it was a top 3 goty for me. Like at some point your time is just better spent doing other poo poo. I look at it as a sign of maturity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What is the verdict on "famicom detective club"