Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Yeah it's bad. The rogue one is obviously the best, but I'm so sick of playing rogue decks at this point. The Azorius control one is actually surprisingly good.

By the way, maybe it's just the matching algorithm, but has anyone else noticed that rogue decks seem to be making a big comeback in Historic? Just in the last couple of days it seems like I'm running into them all the time on the ladder.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah it's bad. The rogue one is obviously the best, but I'm so sick of playing rogue decks at this point. The Azorius control one is actually surprisingly good.

By the way, maybe it's just the matching algorithm, but has anyone else noticed that rogue decks seem to be making a big comeback in Historic? Just in the last couple of days it seems like I'm running into them all the time on the ladder.

One of the world’s best faeries player from Lorwyn Standard over a decade ago, a semi-active player from Japan, has recently been posting a lot about how Historic Rogues with Thoughtseize and Memory Lapse is the closest we’re ever gonna get to playing Faeries again and people really vibe with that take.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm in plat right now and 80% of my historic matches seem to be against tainted pact combo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ya I see it every other game now too. I think we’re gonna see it take more and more of the control meta share tbh. It seems like whatever % you lose in playing singleton and having a weaker land base you make up in being able to win with the combo.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Literally everyone is running a full sweeper/removal package on the play queue right now. Super fun.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yesterday I played 3 matches in a row against niv mizzet piles in the trad historic queue (which I cleaned up handily with mono black aggro once I sided into necromentia). I'm in gold because I haven't been playing a lot of ranked constructed recently

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i really like playing vs the pact deck personally both as aggro and control i think its really fun to worry about 1000 win conditions and what they might be holding at any point. every time i think i finally have a combo player in a corner theres always some new threat.

since i started playing historic ive noticed i really struggle in control mirror matches. i either play too aggressively and get punished or too conservatively and eventually fall behind. its been hard for me to find the middle ground but its been really rewarding to try and improve. when i was primarily playing monoblack aggro i could just moonwalk up the ladder.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
When you do a premium draft do you then have to play the matches immediately with the people in your draft pool or is it normal matchmaking like in quick drafts? With quick drafts I usually like to take a couple of days to play through my matches and i like being able to go at a leisurely pace

I was just about to start another quick draft but its changed to ikoria and I dont think I want to spent gold drafting a set that's about to rotate out

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You don't play with your draft pool. It's just like quick drafts where you have to finish your games before the event rotates out.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
A bunch of streamers are running this Mardu Sacrifice deck in Standard and I've been playing with it and just getting my rear end destroyed by both aggro and Ultimatum. I don't get it. Maybe I'm getting unlucky but it kinda feels like it just....sucks

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://www.cbr.com/magic-the-gathering-arena-previews-historic-anthology-v-cards/

Dragonstorm, Grisly Salvage, Jin-Gitaxias and Relic of Progenitus confirmed for Historic. Relic is a huge upgrade to Soul-Guide Lantern (especially against Rogues) so I expect it to see a lot of play. Jin-Gitaxias is a strong target to cheat into play, and Grisly Salvage is a classic reanimator target. Dragonstorm could be funny with Irencreg Feat but it's obviously a tough ask at 9 mana. On the plus side you can deal infinite damage at 2 stormcount with Terror of the Peaks + 2 Bladewing the Risens!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

A bunch of streamers are running this Mardu Sacrifice deck in Standard and I've been playing with it and just getting my rear end destroyed by both aggro and Ultimatum. I don't get it. Maybe I'm getting unlucky but it kinda feels like it just....sucks

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it seems like the kind of deck that looks great when it comes together but is just too unreliable to be truly good.

Or, maybe put another way, it can look really good on streams if you can edit out the games where it didn't come together.

Not sure if the ones you're watching are doing that or not, but the ones that I've seen the deck looks on the wrong side of the jank line.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
3 cards left, 2 of which are almost guaranteed to be Kolagahn's Command and Elesh Norn so what will the mystery last card be, place your bets!

(probably Lingering Souls)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The sacrifice deck has put up some results. It really wants to find Bastion of Remembrance, and it's pretty hard to beat if you ever get two of them in play. There is a lot of card draw between Village Rites and Plumb but sometimes you still whiff. I think the deck will be very good if they put another Blood Artist effect in standard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

https://www.cbr.com/magic-the-gathering-arena-previews-historic-anthology-v-cards/

Dragonstorm, Grisly Salvage, Jin-Gitaxias and Relic of Progenitus confirmed for Historic. Relic is a huge upgrade to Soul-Guide Lantern (especially against Rogues) so I expect it to see a lot of play. Jin-Gitaxias is a strong target to cheat into play, and Grisly Salvage is a classic reanimator target. Dragonstorm could be funny with Irencreg Feat but it's obviously a tough ask at 9 mana. On the plus side you can deal infinite damage at 2 stormcount with Terror of the Peaks + 2 Bladewing the Risens!

doesn't putting 3 terrors into play just kill someone?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nah, Dragonstorm resolves one copy at a time rather than all at once. That would only do 15 damage. Although thinking about it you can bump that up to 21 if you go Terror -> Moritte -> Moritte.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shitshow posted:

Jeff Hoogland and Crokeyz both play best-of-3 and stream almost every day. Each also has a large archive of videos on YouTube.

Hoogland focuses on historic while Crokeyz plays both historic and standard.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

The first video with Crokeyz I've really liked so far.

LMAO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JEeObXL-hs&t=389s

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 14, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The sacrifice deck has put up some results. It really wants to find Bastion of Remembrance, and it's pretty hard to beat if you ever get two of them in play. There is a lot of card draw between Village Rites and Plumb but sometimes you still whiff. I think the deck will be very good if they put another Blood Artist effect in standard.

Yeah, it doesn't seem unplayable it's just missing a piece or two that would really make it a top tier deck.

It seems to be in that weird place that non-Adventure midrange ends up in where it doesn't pack enough removal to keep from getting run over by aggro while it gets set up and doesn't have enough threats and/or ways to protect its threats from control decks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

3 cards left, 2 of which are almost guaranteed to be Kolagahn's Command and Elesh Norn so what will the mystery last card be, place your bets!

(probably Lingering Souls)

Lingering Souls would be rad. Mardu Arcanist baby, just need to find another cheap white spell worth casting LOL

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Sorry, I forgot the sweeper, removal, AND discard package players.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

wolfman101 posted:

Sorry, I forgot the sweeper, removal, AND discard package players.

What deck are you playing and specifically what kind of decks are you getting matched up against? I don't entirely understand what you find objectionable about control decks loading up on sweepers and removal.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Wow Dragonstorm is a cool card to have on Arena so this makes me happy. After how low I was on the last HA, this one at least has some exciting cards to mess with (even if they end up not swing play).

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

fadam posted:

What deck are you playing and specifically what kind of decks are you getting matched up against? I don't entirely understand what you find objectionable about control decks loading up on sweepers and removal.

I am playing BW aggro. I don't mind facing it occasionally, but facing up against an opponent whose game plan is to prevent you from ever accomplishing anything until they get their one wincon card is extremely boring.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

wolfman101 posted:

I am playing BW aggro. I don't mind facing it occasionally, but facing up against an opponent whose game plan is to prevent you from ever accomplishing anything until they get their one wincon card is extremely boring.

Fair, but consider the control players who say "facing up against an opponent whose game plan is to prevent you from ever accomplishing anything because they kill you on turn 3 is extremely boring."

BW seems pretty well positioned to deal with sweeper/removal heavy control decks. In standard you have access to Reidane, the new Meddling Mage and the 3/1 fake-Thoughtseize guy, and in historic you get all that plus the full discard suite and Thalia.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't you have Scourge of the Skyclaves or whatever it is that just hops out of GY constantly

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So which is going to eat the ban - Pact or Oracle?

Without Oracle, Pact is actually an interesting and not stupid card.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Funso Banjo posted:

So which is going to eat the ban - Pact or Oracle?

Without Oracle, Pact is actually an interesting and not stupid card.

Thassa’s Oracle net impact on Magic: the Gathering has been absolutely terrible and in general decking yourself to win is way, way too easy to do for them to keep printing that. Alternate win conditions should be interesting or require the game to be played in a different way. Just drawing as many cards as possible or removing your deck has never been easier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only reason to ban Oracle over Pact is if you think Pact/Jace, Wielder of Secrets would be a more reasonable deck than Pact/Oracle. Pact will never see play in any context other than "I win the game by exiling my library" and if you don't want decks like that then you should just ban the card.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The only reason to ban Oracle over Pact is if you think Pact/Jace, Wielder of Secrets would be a more reasonable deck than Pact/Oracle. Pact will never see play in any context other than "I win the game by exiling my library" and if you don't want decks like that then you should just ban the card.

Jace/Pact is way, way way way way way harder to do than Oracle Pact

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

It would lol.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

How much are people anticipating Pact getting banned? If so I'll go ahead and craft a couple to fart around with the combo deck before the hammer, otherwise I think I'll pass on it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Jace/Pact is way, way way way way way harder to do than Oracle Pact
It's obviously worse but you can still turn 4 your opponent. I don't think it's as huge of a downgrade as you're suggesting.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Drafting is loving miserable. I love putting together a deck I think is actually alright and then going 0-3

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can also have an outside chance of blowing the jace up in response.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

TipTow posted:

How much are people anticipating Pact getting banned? If so I'll go ahead and craft a couple to fart around with the combo deck before the hammer, otherwise I think I'll pass on it.

It's 50-50. It or Oracle is going. Now which one actually goes is the question.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

If you're interested in playing the god awful theme event for the Japanese card-styles, I can recommend this abomination:

Things like creatures, planeswalkers and things that aren't interaction just Do Not Matter in this clownshoes format.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Funso Banjo posted:

It's 50-50. It or Oracle is going. Now which one actually goes is the question.

Blue one-card win condition that is really cheap, instant and can really only be disrupted by counterspells and targeted discard. What a great idea. borat voice not

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pact is kind of interesting as a tutor-esque card, Oracle seems to exist in SSG space where it only exists to promote degeneracy and perversion.

Ban Oracle and let YouTube content creators go nuts making Oracle/Jace videos.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

fadam posted:

Fair, but consider the control players who say "facing up against an opponent whose game plan is to prevent you from ever accomplishing anything because they kill you on turn 3 is extremely boring."

BW seems pretty well positioned to deal with sweeper/removal heavy control decks. In standard you have access to Reidane, the new Meddling Mage and the 3/1 fake-Thoughtseize guy, and in historic you get all that plus the full discard suite and Thalia.

Agreed. If you play an aggro deck, you have to include answers to control and sweepers, and the answer isn't posting "that's boring."

Just make your deck better and accept that the meta means sometimes you have a bad match-up. If you don't like it, you can always play a different deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think the BW Shadow deck is actually pretty good. This version that took second at the last Hooglandia has a ton of cool anti-control tech:
https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/135899