Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Arist posted:

It's honestly kind of weird we're going to so many of the places we haven't been yet. Garlemald, Thavnair, Sharlayan, the loving moon... What's left for after this? I'm excited.

Offscreen backstory locations we'll likely never go to. Aerslaent (the island the ancient Limsans sailed from). Corvos (country conquered by Garlemald, is where the swordmaster who taught Zenos came from), Nagxia (country neighboring Yanxia/Doma, was conquered by Garlemald, is currently occupied by the IVth Legion), the Hellsguard villages up in the mountains, the islands to the southeast of Eorzea where Plainsfolk Lalafell come from.

There is a decent chance we'll go to Lea Monde, the capital of Dalmasca and the headquarters of the IVth Legion, but I can't see us going anywhere else in Aldenard. After 6.0, new expansions will likely take us to 1. the other two landmasses on the Source, Mercadyia and the New World, 2. other shards, or 3. different time periods on the Source, such as past eras or 5.0 the original timeline.

I suppose they could do the Mists of Pandaria trick where "oh, we found a brand new continent nobody had ever heard about before because it was shrouded in invisibility magic", but they can only pull that trick once. It's rather silly how in WoW, new never before heard of large landmasses are pulled out of thin air and the post-Metzen writers try to sell it as "no no, they were ALWAYS there in lore!". I'd like to think that Banri Oda and Yoshida take their story more seriously than that.

As for getting to the moon, remember Hraesvelgr flew to space to rescue us in the Omega storyline, and it appears we will be acquainted with three members of the First Brood in Endwalker. Any of them could take us to the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes but they could make a Black Omen ship to take us to the moon and make Lavos be a thing and…

Listen I just really really want a chrono trigger tie-in okay

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Offscreen backstory locations we'll likely never go to. Aerslaent (the island the ancient Limsans sailed from). Corvos (country conquered by Garlemald, is where the swordmaster who taught Zenos came from), Nagxia (country neighboring Yanxia/Doma, was conquered by Garlemald, is currently occupied by the IVth Legion), the Hellsguard villages up in the mountains, the islands to the southeast of Eorzea where Plainsfolk Lalafell come from.

There is a decent chance we'll go to Lea Monde, the capital of Dalmasca and the headquarters of the IVth Legion, but I can't see us going anywhere else in Aldenard. After 6.0, new expansions will likely take us to 1. the other two landmasses on the Source, Mercadyia and the New World, 2. other shards, or 3. different time periods on the Source, such as past eras or 5.0 the original timeline.

I suppose they could do the Mists of Pandaria trick where "oh, we found a brand new continent nobody had ever heard about before because it was shrouded in invisibility magic", but they can only pull that trick once. It's rather silly how in WoW, new never before heard of large landmasses are pulled out of thin air and the post-Metzen writers try to sell it as "no no, they were ALWAYS there in lore!". I'd like to think that Banri Oda and Yoshida take their story more seriously than that.

As for getting to the moon, remember Hraesvelgr flew to space to rescue us in the Omega storyline, and it appears we will be acquainted with three members of the First Brood in Endwalker. Any of them could take us to the moon.

Other than Mists I'm struggling to think of places in WoW that were wholesale invented. Was BfA's continent made up?

I don't know what the deal is with the latest expac either because this dumb anime game replaced WoW in my brain, heart and hard drive.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

stev posted:

Other than Mists I'm struggling to think of places in WoW that were wholesale invented. Was BfA's continent made up?

I don't know what the deal is with the latest expac either because this dumb anime game replaced WoW in my brain, heart and hard drive.

The Broken Isles (the Legion landmass) came out of absolutely nowhere. It's smack in the middle of the ocean in between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. It has some highly visible stuff like a miles high world tree, and a Night Elf empire (with a huge shield covering it!) and yet we're expecting to believe that somehow, nobody ever noticed this.

Before BFA, Zandalar and Kul'Tiras were said to be relatively small islands, but in the BFA expansion they're made out to be huge, Britain sized islands.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Random FF14 thought: after watching the trailer again, and the twins' dad's comments about surviving an apocalypse... I'm guessing Sharlayan's big secret is that they're a direct descendant of the Allagan Empire, determined to preserve their knowledge and secrets through the ages - and those of all ages since.

There's been some implications Sharlayan has links to Amaurot (like both being heavily Greek-flavored) so they're basically acting in the same role of saving themselves while everything around them burns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sharlayan is also, probably, staying out of conflicts not as a matter of self-preservation but likely staying out of conflicts because they have the unquestionably best mages and the most money so they don’t really need to stay neutral if they were the conquering type. Instead they just wanna write books and make maps or whatever.

Also they’re remote enough that nobody gives a poo poo about them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I would not be surprised if (collectively in their knowledge resources) Sharlayan already knew about the sundering and the shards, the true nature of Hydaelyn and Zodiark, Amaurot and the Ancients, all well before 1.0, and have had a plan to defy everything for the sake of isolationist persistence.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They want to send their society into space to look at new poo poo like a fantasy Star Trek

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 15, 2021

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The Broken Isles (the Legion landmass) came out of absolutely nowhere. It's smack in the middle of the ocean in between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. It has some highly visible stuff like a miles high world tree, and a Night Elf empire (with a huge shield covering it!) and yet we're expecting to believe that somehow, nobody ever noticed this.

They never appeared in WoW before, but they were in WC3 (and sort of on the WC2 map, but in the wrong place). Blizzard's very, very bad at keeping their lore straight, but this actually was them calling back to something that was supposed to be there all along.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hogama posted:

I would not be surprised if (collectively in their knowledge resources) Sharlayan already knew about the sundering and the shards, the true nature of Hydaelyn and Zodiark, Amaurot and the Ancients, all well before 1.0, and have had a plan to defy everything for the sake of isolationist persistence.

I bet this is Labyrinthos' whole deal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Before BFA, Zandalar and Kul'Tiras were said to be relatively small islands, but in the BFA expansion they're made out to be huge, Britain sized islands.

That's like saying no one has ever noticed Australia just because you've never been there yourself and it hasn't been in the news lately.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The night elfs specifically said they had no idea the broken isles existed in WC3. But it’s the tomb of sargeras I’m sure some human mages saw a writing from Medivh or something that mentions it. Orcs got there, humans could have too.

A better question is “why would anyone care about it”, because there’s basically zero reason for us to gently caress with the new world (or any of those locations) at this point without a hook or a spirit of adventure.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the new world is full of oil ceruleum and there are already Eorzeans loving about there

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
There's possibly dragons in the new world and I share Estinien's goal of mounting every member of the first brood

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Vitamean posted:

I bet this is Labyrinthos' whole deal
Yeah, given the architecture and the "cheerful-music-piped-over-PA-system" soundtrack, it's very Sharlayan fallout shelter feeling.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Whalaqee are from the New World right? So obviously Blue Mage will ascend to Unlimited Job and be the mascot for 7.0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

petcarcharodon posted:

There's possibly dragons in the new world and I share Estinien's goal of mounting every member of the first brood

A goal shared only by the original shiva and the thirstiest of players.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After the trailer I would not be shocked if Hydaelyn was actually camping out under Sharlayan like Zodiark is stuck in the moon, and they're completely terrified of what would happen if they (and her) get exposed and then wrecked in a calamity. The twins' dad may seem like - or just be - an rear end in a top hat, but the writers tend to give convincing character motivations even if you disagree with their actions. And their actions make more sense if they're secretly a load-bearing pillar for all life on the planet.

e: Also betting that either the Scions' digging too far or a direct threat to the city is going to prompt Hydaelyn to spit out a copy of Venat, like Zodiark created Elidibus, and that's why she's on the key art.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 15, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Can't wait till the twins overthrow poo poo dad and make Krile Queen of the Nerds in Sharlayan

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Its Rinaldo posted:

Can't wait till the twins overthrow poo poo dad and make Krile Tataru Queen of the Nerds in Sharlayan

Ahem.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I suspect Sharlayan may be the legacy of Amaurot or the summoners of Hydie, but lack the full picture because they don't have any shard-hoppers so they don't realize how the calamities are linked and may just treat the cycles of destruction and rebirth of civilization as a natural (or Ascian-influenced) event that isn't necessarily indicative of anything.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chillgamesh posted:

The only problem I see with this is passive fairy healing, but they might just add some ability to SCH where you just pick a party member and they permanently get a HoT equivalent to the fairy heal or something and you can switch the target on a short cooldown.

I have a white mage and a scholar. When I want to heal and have a good time in a non-extreme raid, I constantly put my fairy where it can hit the most players. It is basically a HOT by itself since it's healing the lowest life so that does doesn't die from a fart AE the spa refuse to step out of.

I played pet classes across several mmogs and enjoy the challenge of taking advantage of the benefits while mitigating the negatives.

But as summoner, the super summons still get me. Reading a guide, it's obvious what I should be doing but actually performing it is something else.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No way Tataru wants to rule an island of Alphinauds

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Its Rinaldo posted:

No way Tataru wants to rule an island of Alphinauds

Besides, can you imagine the poo poo she could make happen with the wealth and resources of Sharlayan at her disposal? Let her be Krile's chief admin and the two can get poo poo done.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So what are y'all thinking about the Nier post-quests? It's been 5 weeks so far and I still have no idea where this is going. It's two weeks with each dwarf and Tuesday, we should be able to pick up the second quest for dwarf #3. I think there were only three dwarves shown as future quest givers? This one should be the last?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Mordiceius posted:

So what are y'all thinking about the Nier post-quests? It's been 5 weeks so far and I still have no idea where this is going. It's two weeks with each dwarf and Tuesday, we should be able to pick up the second quest for dwarf #3. I think there were only three dwarves shown as future quest givers? This one should be the last?

its filled in a few of the blanks I was wondering about, and i'm really interested to see where its going.

It mentions that 2b and 9s found the seed linked to the First, realized it was making evil YorHa copies and hacked some to send their own consciousness over to intervene

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The dwarves will deal with it. Just keep doing favors for them in the meantime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vitamean posted:

The dwarves will deal with it. Just keep doing favors for them in the meantime.
Those bearded fucks have managed feats that have stymied humanity for aeons.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So the writing team, though not strictly beholden to it, has demonstrated a willingness before to mine old content and concepts. Given that we're finally dealing with Sharlayan society proper and exploring/killing the Twelve, think there's any chance they'll touch on this old nugget from 1.0?

Of Archons and Muses posted:

Tyago Moui: Caught wind of all this Archon talk yet? Some folk make them for the very incarnations of the Twelve, come to Eorzea. Old prophecies and wives' tales say they descend from their heavenly seat whenever disaster threatens Eorzea, see.
Needless to say, many believe the Archons to have otherworldly powers - both of mind and body.
According to the loremasters' books, there was an age of shadow and calamity some fifteen hundred-odd years ago, when a great flood drowned the world - the sixth Umbral Era, they called it. Believers say it was the twelve Archons what came to fight the darkness then.
One of them bards always in and out of here is gathering up all the stories he can find. Means to make a collection of works about the whole ordeal. Went and promised the bloody mummer I'd help when I was in my cups one even. I'll live to regret that, no doubt.
Last I heard, he was looking for some sort of muse to help him put his characters to song, or some such nonsense. But I ain't about to leave my bar unattended to go chasing muses.
You adventurers go in for that sort of thing. How about you lend us a hand, eh? There's a famous gladiator over at the Coliseum - name of Lyngwaek.
I reckon he's as good a bloke as any to inspire that addle-brained bard to sing the praises of the Archon known as Ahldbhar, mighty and fearsome as he is. What say you, then? Are you willing to go and have a few words with this warrior?

Tyago Moui: Don't keep me in suspense. How'd you fare with Lyngwaek?
Aye, aye, that is precisely the kind of talk I was hoping to hear. The man is more like Ahldbhar than I'd imagined!
They say Ahldbhar was the mightiest of the twelve Archons. Rhalgr the Destroyer himself, taken form in Roegadyn flesh─a bloody mountain of a man, and a fearsome warrior, besides. Not unlike our friend at the Coliseum, eh?
You must've seen renderings of Rhalgr at some point─in paint or stone. Looks like a bag of angry muscles in a mage's robes, right? Aye, well, those are done in the likeness of Archon Ahldbhar.
Ahldbhar fought relentlessly against a clan of wicked sorcerers that sought only to wreak havoc on the world through their dark powers. But then, something happened... Something that threw Ahldbhar into deep despair. And in the end, he turned and took up with the enemy, though none can say as to why.
What came of him after his betrayal? Well, I confess I haven't heard the end of the tale myself. That bard's a wily bugger, see, and he only ever gets part way through before his throat dries out. Meaning I have to give him yet another bloody ale─free of charge, of course.
The Archons of the end of the Fifth Astral Era were essentially the Warriors of Light of the time. Nyunkrepf Nyunkrepfsyn, founder of Old Sharlayan, was also one of those twelve Archons. (We only know about one other - Radcliffe the Red - through Hatchingtide, curiously enough. The Motley Egg minion's description: )

Motley Egg posted:

As thanks for aiding Jihli Aliapoh in the retrieval of several stolen eggs, the original Egg Dreamer has gifted you with an eggspertly crafted automaton featuring Radcliffe the Red, famed first Archon of the Sixth Umbral Era.

Anyway, the "clan of wicked sorcerers" in the tale sounds a bit like the Ascians. And "something happened" that made him work with them, but we don't know how the story ends. It's a curious tidbit for a possibly abandoned plot thread, anyway.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 16, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh man thank you for posting that. I was just speculating with a friend that the deep dark secret of Sharlayan is that they (or rather their founders and leadership) are and always have been aligned with the Ascians. A sort of Ascian sanctioned repository of knowledge, allowed to survive each calamity (perhaps by sheltering underground in Labyrinthos) as long as they stayed out of the affairs of the world. And all Sharlayans who've opposed the Ascians have been offshoots like the Archons both present and historical. That thing you posted sounds to me like the past group of Archons eventually learned the truth and gave up their fight in order to survive.

I do not have nearly enough grounding in this game's lore and history to know if this buckwild theory is plausible or even possible. If I'm an ignorant dumbass with no clue what he's talking about please tell me, but this is the crazy stuff that popped into my sleep deprived brain today and it felt like it made sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spuckuk posted:

Absolutely lost my mind when Estinien appeared to gently caress everyone up in the trailer. They have a way of turning me into a wide eyed kid again with these.

Estinien's been so fun for the path of the Dragoon. Originally they fought alongside dragons. Then the war started and they were trained to fight dragons. Then he gets possessed/corrupted by a dragon, and now he's fighting alongside dragons again.

What I'm saying is give Dragoons a buddy in EW.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bruceski posted:

Estinien's been so fun for the path of the Dragoon. Originally they fought alongside dragons. Then the war started and they were trained to fight dragons. Then he gets possessed/corrupted by a dragon, and now he's fighting alongside dragons again.

What I'm saying is give Dragoons a buddy in EW.

They even have a babby dragon in the Dragoon story line that could hang out with the WoL and murder stuff with.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think the Sharlayans are just the sort of elitist douchebags who look at the calamities going on and think "Yeah, well we're better than them. As long as we survive, nothing of value will be lost :smuggo:"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One detail I noticed in the trailer is that the weird flying monsters who Estinien is fighting seem to be in Thavnair. So presumably, based on Urianger's dialogue, Thavnair will be suspiciously untouched by the crisis, and we'll go there for that reason, before things really go to hell

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 16, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

cheetah7071 posted:

One detail I noticed in the traler is that the weird flying monsters who Estinien is fighting seem to be in Thavnair. So presumably, based on Urianger's dialogue, Thavnair will be suspiciously untouched by the crisis, and we'll go there for that reason, before things really go to hell

Thavnair is very explicitly touched by the crisis, actually. We've seen that it's got one of the towers, and it's the one that we're going inside.

If anything it's Sharlayan that's suspiciously untouched.

EDIT: These avatars alongside the red titles are getting better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Thavnair is very explicitly touched by the crisis, actually. We've seen that it's got one of the towers, and it's the one that we're going inside.

If anything it's Sharlayan that's suspiciously untouched.

EDIT: These avatars alongside the red titles are getting better.

The trailer explicitly has Uri say "The respite [From the End of Days] this land has had was not to last" or some poo poo. It'll be fine when we get there then go to poo poo quickly, probably leading us to flee to Old Nerd Land because they're untouched and have a lot of knowledge so maybe we can use that to save the world. At the start of EW they're both untouched at least as the trailer is concerned.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Cheetah means we don't go to Thavnair because it's under attack, we go there beforehand and experience the attack as it happens. Urianger and Thancred are talking in Radz-at-Han, seemingly before everything has gone to poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

I think Cheetah means we don't go to Thavnair because it's under attack, we go there beforehand and experience the attack as it happens. Urianger and Thancred are talking in Radz-at-Han, seemingly before everything has gone to poo poo.

Yeah. The trailers tend to be full of moderately misleading lines, but if these ones aren't misleading, then Urianger is saying that Thavnair was, up to that point, not yet under attack. But I noticed that the scene with Estinien was in Thavnair, giving us an idea of what the story arc of that zone might be.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I figure something *happens* which makes the end days become all that much more real to Uri and this comment on "this land" is towards the entire world itself, although less stereotypically poetic given how often everyone uses star to refer to the planet. I think it is most likely referring to Thav specifically but it also works as a general comment given that ShB was all about saving the First to save the Source, and how despite all that struggle and such it doesn't seem like we've bought much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Argas posted:

I figure something *happens* which makes the end days become all that much more real to Uri and this comment on "this land" is towards the entire world itself, although less stereotypically poetic given how often everyone uses star to refer to the planet. I think it is most likely referring to Thav specifically but it also works as a general comment given that ShB was all about saving the First to save the Source, and how despite all that struggle and such it doesn't seem like we've bought much time.
What I wonder is how much of this is gonna be stuff that was already cooking and how much was Fannypack just cracking open all the stuff that was Under Development or Rejected (For Being Too Stupid And Gross).