Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

People on Reddit were excited about seeing Petra Collins at the end as the video’s director and I didn’t recognize her name which I feel kinda bad about because I literally had a shot from her first music video as my avatar for a while

https://youtu.be/b1LNQBX8JwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rarity posted:

Just found out Olivia Rodrigo was born in 2003 and godammit what have I done with my life :negative:

to olivia rodrigo, good 4 u take cues from classic rock music

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“I guess the therapist I found for you, she really helped” is such a harsh line lmao

I wonder how Joshua Bassett feels about the fact that the first 3 songs by the biggest new artist in years are all based around completely dragging his rear end

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Maybe I'm getting old but I just find the lyrics so...teen-aged. I like the songs but "I guess you didn't mean what you wrote in that song about me" is just unintentionally hilarious

I'm sure there are plenty of "you got a new girlfriend and she's exactly like me" songs but Deja Vu might be the first "you got a new girlfriend and you're exactly like you" song

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

“I guess the therapist I found for you, she really helped” is such a harsh line lmao

I wonder how Joshua Bassett feels about the fact that the first 3 songs by the biggest new artist in years are all based around completely dragging his rear end

And then he has to work with her on that show lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Maybe I'm getting old but I just find the lyrics so...teen-aged. I like the songs but "I guess you didn't mean what you wrote in that song about me" is just unintentionally hilarious

I'm sure there are plenty of "you got a new girlfriend and she's exactly like me" songs but Deja Vu might be the first "you got a new girlfriend and you're exactly like you" song

I mean it’s pop music, teenage-sounding lyrics aren’t necessarily a negative here. It’s honest.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Yeah I just mean that I find it difficult to connect with and I suspect it will be kind of exhausting to inhabit that space for an entire album

But I also think it's a little disingenuous for her to be "well I'm a teenage girl, what else am I supposed to write about" when Billie Eilish is like a year older than her

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Yeah I just mean that I find it difficult to connect with and I suspect it will be kind of exhausting to inhabit that space for an entire album

But I also think it's a little disingenuous for her to be "well I'm a teenage girl, what else am I supposed to write about" when Billie Eilish is like a year older than her

That’s fair, that’s kind of how I felt after Drivers License but her last two singles have been interesting enough sonically that the subject matter has not been my first thought listening. If she had released two more songs with the same vibe as Drivers License I would probably be in your boat but I think there’s enough emotional variance in the sounds that they’re interesting.

Plus they’re each about a specific moment or feeling that comes with the end of a relationship (mourning the loss of things you had planned to do together, the realization that your “special” moments or things are being recycled with someone else, anger that you are devastated and your ex does not seem affected at all). If we get 11 songs about this relationship it might seem like overkill but if there’s enough variety in how it sounds and the emotions is contains it could be really good. First albums in pop music often have a lot more experimentation with different sounds to determine what’s most successful but if Olivia Rodrigo can bring them together under a common factor it could lead to a debut way beyond the usual.

Also Billie Eilish is a literal prodigy I don’t think she serves as a good comparison point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Billy Joel lines in Deja Vu are the most hilariously teenage poo poo ever and I love them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

The Billy Joel lines in Deja Vu are the most hilariously teenage poo poo ever and I love them

Annoying people by singing in harmony is some real theater kid poo poo that I understood immediately

Edit: here’s that real good poo poo this song sounds real good over a harder guitar

https://twitter.com/vocalshayley/status/1393277111645913093?s=21

Also I forgot just how bad those Misery Business lyrics are that song makes Better than Revenge look woke. I understand why Hayley Williams doesn’t like to play it anymore

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 15, 2021

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m actually more annoyed when people Olivia’s age song about poo poo they clearly have no experience with whatsoever.

I like what she does because, if nothing else, it’s authentic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The reverse is also true. Thirty year old Taylor singing the songs she made when she was in her early twenties felt very odd to me

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The reverse is also true. Thirty year old Taylor singing the songs she made when she was in her early twenties felt very odd to me

I on the other hand loved the poo poo out of it. Switching it so that people finding love happens in their 30s is far more realistic to people actually having conductive and realistically happy relationships.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Our new fave on SNL

https://youtu.be/HBik0MjXeMs

https://youtu.be/kiaCdUACJp8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:worship::worship::worship:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Normally I would agree but knowing the context behind why that was happening made it not bother me very much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/oc7m_F-t78I

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I like this

Why does it seem like there are so many bands that are full of dudes with a female singer? When did that start? Blondie?

Also here is another song

https://youtu.be/bZK-ju8ye04

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Velvet Underground + Nico and Shocking blue are the first to come to mind

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Velvet Underground + Nico and Shocking blue are the first to come to mind

Stone Poneys were earlier than that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AJnDRuemA

Better than the SNL performances imo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/aliciakeys/status/1394377379502567428?s=21
ayy I’m kind of interested, saw her once and it was a good time

edit: just saw it’s 2022 lol

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 17, 2021

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I actually think it adds an interesting layer of subtext to some of the songs. You have Fifteen, with 18yo Taylor singing to 15yo Taylor, and the text is basically unchanged but now it is implicitly also 30yo Taylor singing to 18yo Taylor. It kind of makes me want to write a bunch of words linking it to Borges' "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote".

I also think that people have this expectation that songwriting needs to be "authentic" to an extent that other forms of creative writing are rarely subject to.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I actually think it adds an interesting layer of subtext to some of the songs. You have Fifteen, with 18yo Taylor singing to 15yo Taylor, and the text is basically unchanged but now it is implicitly also 30yo Taylor singing to 18yo Taylor. It kind of makes me want to write a bunch of words linking it to Borges' "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote".

I also think that people have this expectation that songwriting needs to be "authentic" to an extent that other forms of creative writing are rarely subject to.

It’s also very loaded because she’s now been singing these songs for a decade. The usual process is that you workshop and write the song and then when it’s ready to record you record it and then tour off it for a while, and if it’s really popular or good or sentimental it will become a part of your repertoire but the recording is generally at the beginning of the song’s lifespan. Recording something that you’ve been singing for so long is gonna change how you play it and how it sounds, even if you go into a re-recording with the goal of making it sound exactly the same because that’s what you’re doing it for.

I didn’t pick it up right away but the first time I read a review of the new Fearless that mentioned Keasbey Nights I instantly remembered the first time I hear the re-recorded version of 1234, 1234 with the long text-to-voice bit at the end about why Tomas Kalnoky had to re-record it in the first place.

quote:

We wanted to get it right for once. Plus it helps me sleep at night knowing blood, sweat, and tears were put into a record as opposed to making people pay thirteen bucks for a record and they only get flashy new cover art. This release is a preemptive strike, I guess. Whatever you want to call it, it'll piss people off, and that, at the end of the day, is all that really matters.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's when a CD is re-released untouched sonically, with a new cover and maybe a live video, and kids are duped into buying this new edition of something they already have. I was upset when I was told the guys were going to do this for Keasbey, so I offered to re-record it because I've always thought it sounded like pure garbage sound-wise. Plus the budgets we get are laughable, particularly for a band with seven musicians to record. So we used some of our own money and took our time with this one. I'll tell you right now, we have no intent on hiding our intentions. We wanted to prevent the re-release of Keasbey untouched as well as get the record to sound how it should have sounded originally. For that we sacrificed months of our time and our money, and now we feel what we have is worth paying for. Although, truth be told, I don't care if a single record is sold, as it is indeed old music, and kids have a right to know what it is and to decide whether or not they'll pay for it. Do I think it's worth thirteen dollars? Yes, very much so, but that's my opinion. What other people decide, that's their own opinion. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold.

When you get into the details they differ but “artist re-records their work to keep label from exploiting it” is a pretty rare situation to begin with, and I think Kalnocky was 18 when he recorded Keasbey which is how old Taylor was when she recorded Fearless so both re-recordings have the weight of time upon them. Honestly, You Belong with Me and Kristina She Don’t Know I Exist are kindred songs and now they have another thing tying them together.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Marina dropped a new track and it is a Jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V17JN76uxc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SOUR is good but I think I would have liked it more if I hadn’t heard good 4 u beforehand cos I love that one so much and was hoping for more like it but there isn’t much, it’s mostly ballads which makes perfect sense of course but isn’t my preference. the first and last tracks are really good, and enough for you which is the folkiest one. 1 step forward, 3 steps back is another fave. there’s even some tracks on there that aren’t about that ex!

I think the genuine teenage feeling is one of the reasons I like rodrigo’s music so much and that authenticity does come through on most of the album. the lyrics don’t feel fake or manufactured it feels like an album that perfectly captures every teenager’s heart after the end of their first relationship and I love that about it. if anyone remembers that friday night lights scene where jason street throws a fit because he can’t find his nirvana CD it’s the same kind of thing, awkward and embarrassing at times but very accurate.

imo this thread will like it a lot. just 3 more hours, Americans!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just started and goddamn is Brutal an amazing opener.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I definitely wish the balance of the album wasn't so tilted towards ballads, but there's some pretty good songs on here. I really like 'traitor' and '1 step forwards, 3 steps back' a lot, but I'll have to give it a little more time to see how I feel about it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Are you guys ready for the best pop album of the year with four letters in its name?!

Are you guys ready for the best pop single of the year from an Asian group about fattening food?!

https://youtu.be/UMoYR6gBpkc

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the genuine teenage feeling is one of the reasons I like rodrigo’s music so much and that authenticity does come through on most of the album. the lyrics don’t feel fake or manufactured it feels like an album that perfectly captures every teenager’s heart after the end of their first relationship and I love that about it. if anyone remembers that friday night lights scene where jason street throws a fit because he can’t find his nirvana CD it’s the same kind of thing, awkward and embarrassing at times but very accurate.

This is about what I think, she really sounds like how every teen wishes they could express themselves. A lot of other pop artists have come out that have been particularly good at songwriting at that age but I don’t know that any of them quite capture that as well. I know the obvious comparisons are Swift/Lorde because of the sound but I think this is more like a more pop-aimed Alanis Morissette or Liz Phair. I really want her to follow those pop-rock instincts to their conclusions. Brutal was apparently one of the last songs made for this album after she decided to turn the LP into an album and it was a great choice. I wish Adam Schlesinger was still around to write something for her, he’d have appreciated the “what I like about you” vibes of “good for u”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Finished my first listen through, I have 2 initial reactions

1) It definitely captures the feeling of being a teenager, it really took me back to that time and reminded me why I hated it

2) Aside from the singles Jealousy, Jealousy and Hope Ur Ok stood out the most, will have to see what jumps out after I get more familiar with the songs

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

It’s good but it’s not as good as either of Lorde’s albums.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LionArcher posted:

It’s good but it’s not as good as either of Lorde’s albums.

What is though? She kills it every time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah that’s a high fuckin bar to clear

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fjucking Melodrama is so good and people slept on it waht the gently caress

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Fjucking Melodrama is so good and people slept on it waht the gently caress

It is her best album

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It is her best album

It’s top 5 of the last 20 years for me I think.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If you want to take a break from all the good music that has come out today and listen to some fresh mediocrity:

https://youtu.be/-vptQ2hGAD8

As it turns out when you pair two artists whose primary goals are to maximize radio play you get Last Christmas, but for the other 11 months

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Lil Nas X dropped a new song and video

https://youtu.be/U3BVFY9wnTw

It's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/bestcoast/status/1395613099453870082?s=21