Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The actual recording went smoothly, I'm just about to edit and I'm hoping the Xsplit bug hasn't struck. This next update is going to be a long one as the recording time hit the 70 minute marker.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I was preparing everything for the next update and was even considering pushing it out tonight but I encountered a glitch during playback. It wasn't the usual Xsplit bug that I know and love, it was a visual pause and some nasty noise feedback for a few seconds. I'm encoding a new video right now with a slight cut in place, it happens during combat and at normal speed so it will be noticeable. All the new information is in place, including an updated map, so I just need to wait on the *checks* three hours encoding time to finish. It's getting late here so I'll leave it running overnight and I'll upload it in the morning.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158772

Current map:

After plenty of yapping, here is the tour of New London. Approximately seven seconds are cut from the original recording due to a slight glitch, this happens around the 43:36 mark. The test runs for this went abysmally compared to this, I was quite fortunate with several encounters during this recording session. During the test runs, I was jumped on by at least half a dozen fighters armed with disrupters every 15-20k's and most of my jump lane travels were interrupted. In this video, I somehow managed to get away with some minor skirmishes and a couple of encounters happened to have some friendly forces nearby. I still had a leaving party for most of my base departures but I wasn't too worried as I had plenty of firepower behind me to back me up. Even after editing, this video is over forty-eight minutes long and it's uncut apart from removing the small glitch.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You're completely invulnerable while docking.

The price list suffers from lacking any form of sorting other than price. The second best price for artifacts (that you know of so far) is on New London, you glanced over it without noticing.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Unfortunately enemy cruise disruptors are a guaranteed encounter pretty much everywhere outside of Liberty (except for plot missions when they tell you to escape), so your options for dealing with random encounters is either fight to the death, spam countermeasures like you got diarrhea to hopefully avoid the 2-4 disruptors coming at you while cruising or recharging the cruise or try to escape with the slower engine kill momentum float.

If you are lacking in rumors to show, you can leave the bar into any other area on the base and then come back with new batch of rumor/bribe/mission dispensers waiting for you. Though I'm fairly certain the bartender is mostly fixed and only changes with your reputation, offering bribe if low with their friends or rumors if you are all a happy family.
The base/planet info are thankfully all cheap and I always bought them, even when I had already visited them. Gets them out of the bar speech pool.

One benefit of the criminals coming at you infront of bases (or were already fighting the locals there) is that law enforcement are too busy fighting to scan your cargo for illegal alien childrens toys or drugs.
If you are unsure of the criminals base location, remember that you can figure out their exact spot with the patrol path map.

my dad posted:

The price list suffers from lacking any form of sorting other than price.
You can check your price listing alphabetically, but only through your cargo screen if you already have that item. The listing window is also much bigger than with the trader, so you can compare with wider margins at first glance.
You can also sort the list by the system name or if the base sells that item or not.
The tiny problem with alphabetical sorting is the planets all being lumped under P. Like if I wanted to check the price of alloys I acquired somewhere and plan on going to Cambridge, I'd need to check the price at P for Planet Cambridge instead of C for Cambridge.
Same with Battleships under B.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

my dad posted:

You're completely invulnerable while docking.

The price list suffers from lacking any form of sorting other than price. The second best price for artifacts (that you know of so far) is on New London, you glanced over it without noticing.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll swing by there as I'll be purchasing a new ship for the next update and it'll kill two birds with one stone.

Lulti posted:

Unfortunately enemy cruise disruptors are a guaranteed encounter pretty much everywhere outside of Liberty (except for plot missions when they tell you to escape), so your options for dealing with random encounters is either fight to the death, spam countermeasures like you got diarrhea to hopefully avoid the 2-4 disruptors coming at you while cruising or recharging the cruise or try to escape with the slower engine kill momentum float.

If you are lacking in rumors to show, you can leave the bar into any other area on the base and then come back with new batch of rumor/bribe/mission dispensers waiting for you. Though I'm fairly certain the bartender is mostly fixed and only changes with your reputation, offering bribe if low with their friends or rumors if you are all a happy family.
The base/planet info are thankfully all cheap and I always bought them, even when I had already visited them. Gets them out of the bar speech pool.

One benefit of the criminals coming at you infront of bases (or were already fighting the locals there) is that law enforcement are too busy fighting to scan your cargo for illegal alien childrens toys or drugs.
If you are unsure of the criminals base location, remember that you can figure out their exact spot with the patrol path map.

You can check your price listing alphabetically, but only through your cargo screen if you already have that item. The listing window is also much bigger than with the trader, so you can compare with wider margins at first glance.
You can also sort the list by the system name or if the base sells that item or not.
The tiny problem with alphabetical sorting is the planets all being lumped under P. Like if I wanted to check the price of alloys I acquired somewhere and plan on going to Cambridge, I'd need to check the price at P for Planet Cambridge instead of C for Cambridge.
Same with Battleships under B.

I did try to run in a test playthrough but it ended up with me being hit by the disruptors as soon as I hit the 100% mark and then being completely overwhelmed.

I've been quite lucky with the rumours so far, there's only been a few occasions where there hasn't been anyone willing to talk. I'll keep it in mind if I do go through a dry spell in an update. I'll probably need to raise some more funds soon as I'm going to be buying new ships every other update.

Thank you for the information regarding the price listing, it'll be useful going forward.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I can't stop hearing the interaction where Trent says somewhat forcefully, "I'm Trent" and the other person responds "Oh" as the result of Trent knowing that everyone in the galaxy is aware of how he screwed up with Vanessa.

Also realized that if you visit the mining station, you get Trent-on-Stokes.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 19, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Kangra posted:

I can't stop hearing the interaction where Trent says somewhat forcefully, "I'm Trent" and the other person responds "Oh" as the result of Trent knowing that everyone in the galaxy is aware of how he screwed up with Vanessa.

I hope we get more rumors about how great Vanessa was and how much Trent hosed up. "Did you hear Vanessa is taking some time off from working on her doctorate to tour the galaxy after winning the 'Most Beautiful woman in the Universe' contest? I bet that Trent guy is feeling pretty bad about his life choices right now!"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kangra posted:

:rimshot:

I've just had another look and there is more Trent lore to be discovered on Planet Leeds, one of them is very much giving Trent some poo poo for leaving the way he did.

I recorded another tour yesterday and will probably do another before the week is out. I'll be in Scotland next weekend and I'll be on a three week holiday from work that will start at the end of June. I already know what to expect with the next story mission so I may attempt to keep touring for a while. Lulti mentioned that the universe is open to us now, so I will toy around with exploring Independent\Non-Empire aligned systems in the area. I've just had a quick look at the system map, at this pace the LP is going to go on until the end of the year at least as there are a lot of systems still left to explore.

Edit: What I'm meaning is that there's still lots to see and I'm going to see how things go in-game and in the real world before I decide whether to move on with the storyline. As you know, the story missions are getting heavier the more that we're advancing and I'm a little wary of pushing that button during a period of time where I'll most likely be doing little or no recording at all. I'd rather pre-record a few tours and delay the storyline for a time when I can give it some proper attention.

The next update will have a cut as my ship decided to blow up after a skirmish resulted in me going off course as I was approaching a well-defended base, as I was trying to correct my direction I ended up clipping something that I shouldn't have clipped.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 19, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I remember one of the systems (at least) that you can visit scaring the hell out of me as a kid. Not sure if you can visit it yet though, or even exactly what it was that bugged me about it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The only place I clearly remember in the game is one particular nebula I really liked because it was very blue and felt like you were flying through the ocean when you were in it. That and the minefield in Liberty space that was already showed off. I used to love parking my ship next to it and watching enemies spawn inside and immediately explode. "I've picked my tar--AAAGH!"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158823

This was almost uncut, but I approached the final base at the wrong angle, ended up in a skirmish and when I tried to right myself and find my way back again I was taken out by a hazard. The rogues seemed to be fairly active during the recording, in the test run they left me alone for most of it. I'll be exploring one more system with this ship and then I'll upgrade to the heavy fighter.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158823

This was almost uncut, but I approached the final base at the wrong angle, ended up in a skirmish and when I tried to right myself and find my way back again I was taken out by a hazard. The rogues seemed to be fairly active during the recording, in the test run they left me alone for most of it. I'll be exploring one more system with this ship and then I'll upgrade to the heavy fighter.

It always amuses me listening to the people talk with British slang but without even attempting an English accent. A lot of the women do, but weirdly I don't think any of the male VAs do at all, aside from the plot NPCs.

Also a couple things: Are you going to show off a bit of what people say when they don't like your reputation? There are a couple of funny 'gently caress off' lines, if I remember.

Second, are you going to talk at all about Starlancer? I don't know much about it, but I remember this game is technically a sequel.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is very little to talk about with Starlancer, it is an incredibly bland game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

There is very little to talk about with Starlancer, it is an incredibly bland game.

Was it? I never really played it. I only actually know about it because back in 'the day' there were the big 3 space sims: Starlancer, Wing Commander, and Freespace. I only really played Freespace. And Tachyon, which was great but never really got popular.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gothsheep posted:

It always amuses me listening to the people talk with British slang but without even attempting an English accent. A lot of the women do, but weirdly I don't think any of the male VAs do at all, aside from the plot NPCs.

Also a couple things: Are you going to show off a bit of what people say when they don't like your reputation? There are a couple of funny 'gently caress off' lines, if I remember.

Second, are you going to talk at all about Starlancer? I don't know much about it, but I remember this game is technically a sequel.

I've been neglecting the blank speech bubbles, I'll make sure to include them in the future.

To he honest, I've never played Starlancer.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I did not have a good time in Manchester when first time playing
Mainly because I ignored Tobias and went exploring instead of buying a new ship. So after running away from random bounty hunter squads, I encountered the angry Bounty Hunters base of Sheffield and peed my little boy pants at the time.

Regarding the "did I piss of the police in this system" question, you have not, but your reputation was still in the neutral. Judging by the cheap price of the bribe, you must have been on the positive side of neutral.
The closer you are to positive green, the cheaper the bribe is.
You'll note that the crosshair turned green when targeting trade lanes after the bribe, as the trade lanes are usually owned by the police or military.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

These gamey kind of systems always amuse me, where you can straight up murder a number of an organization's people but as long as you either murder some of their enemies too or send a big enough bribe, it is totally fine, even after you were being hunted by them just an hour ago. Heck, if you're dedicated enough you can go from public enemy number one to a beloved ally in the same day.

I know that system exists to make sure the game doesn't become unwinnable or less fun to play, but it's still pretty funny.

Edit: As for Starlancer, I remember not being able to beat it back in the day, but I don't remember why. Could just have been really hard or unwieldy, or a bug. The fact that I forgot is probably not a good sign, but I don't remember really hating the game, but neither did I love it.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 24, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I really like how you can walk up and talk to Bounty Hunters on that station.

"You're new here. What's your name?"

"Trent."

Narrows eyes. "Trent eh? Let me see your card."

"Here you go!"

Eyes narrow more.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gothsheep posted:

Was it? I never really played it. I only actually know about it because back in 'the day' there were the big 3 space sims: Starlancer, Wing Commander, and Freespace. I only really played Freespace. And Tachyon, which was great but never really got popular.

I did, it's bad. The setting is yet another badly rehashed WWII But In Space title, it doesn't actually do anything interesting with the setting (it's literally Our Noble Heroes vs Genocidal Evil Badguys) and while some parts are good the whole package is absolutely sunk by the miserable mission design and mechanics. There's just no way to salvage it.

also Starlancer came out after Wing Commander was dead and gone; maybe you're forgetting X-Wing? X-Wing Alliance, Starlancer, and Freespace 2 were all more-or-less market peers (1999 or 2000 releases) and I'd say Lucasarts and Volition were really big two at that point, with WC having fallen off at that point.

e: a joke I'm certain I've told before is that I picked up starlancer for $1.99 at EB Games and I'm not sure whether the store or I came out better for that transaction

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 24, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Although the definitions allow the judgement to be subjective, Androids are typically meant to be human-like robots. So the robot bartenders are not trying too hard to be human like, but maybe that's what passes for androids in the space faring future.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

sb hermit posted:

Although the definitions allow the judgement to be subjective, Androids are typically meant to be human-like robots. So the robot bartenders are not trying too hard to be human like, but maybe that's what passes for androids in the space faring future.

Given that the robots say things like, "Organics freely converse around mechanoids, so I hear many things," I like to imagine that when they give you rumors, they aren't actually talking, but they're replaying a recording of a random conversation that they recorded because they were dicks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Psion posted:

e: a joke I'm certain I've told before is that I picked up starlancer for $1.99 at EB Games and I'm not sure whether the store or I came out better for that transaction

You rolled with the dicemen and the results came up ambiguous.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I just wanted to make a short announcement that my daughter was taken into hospital yesterday and she really isn't a good condition at this moment in time. She hasn't been well for a while and recently it's reached a critical point. There's a good chance that she will recover, but right now there's a lot going on with how to get her to that point. She lives 250 miles from me, I will be going up to see her on Friday and coming back on Sunday. I will record updates when I am able to do so, but please understand that things may become a little less frequent for a while.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I just wanted to make a short announcement that my daughter was taken into hospital yesterday and she really isn't a good condition at this moment in time. She hasn't been well for a while and recently it's reached a critical point. There's a good chance that she will recover, but right now there's a lot going on with how to get her to that point. She lives 250 miles from me, I will be going up to see her on Friday and coming back on Sunday. I will record updates when I am able to do so, but please understand that things may become a little less frequent for a while.

To hell with the lets play. I hope your daughter recovers soon. Best of wishes.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

my dad posted:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Get well soon, Baby Rocket!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Best of luck :(

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Wow man, the fact that you'd even think about an LP in that situation is remarkable. If making videos for a game you like is something you need to help keep you grounded during things, then by all means they've been great. But don't let this become a point of more stress, my dude. You look after you and yours.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

my dad posted:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

my dad posted:

speaking for all of us, my dad

all the time you need and then some, rocket. hoping for the best!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's rough man, sheesh. I hope nothing but the best for all involved.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Psion posted:

I did, it's bad. The setting is yet another badly rehashed WWII But In Space title, it doesn't actually do anything interesting with the setting (it's literally Our Noble Heroes vs Genocidal Evil Badguys) and while some parts are good the whole package is absolutely sunk by the miserable mission design and mechanics. There's just no way to salvage it.

also Starlancer came out after Wing Commander was dead and gone; maybe you're forgetting X-Wing? X-Wing Alliance, Starlancer, and Freespace 2 were all more-or-less market peers (1999 or 2000 releases) and I'd say Lucasarts and Volition were really big two at that point, with WC having fallen off at that point.

Starlancer is very much not good when compared with its contemparies.
Even its co-op campaign mode couldn't make it good.

But yeah - nuts to the LP, we'll be here when you have less to worry about.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

my dad posted:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

my dad posted:

Bugger the LP, best of luck to all of you!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

my dad posted:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you everyone for your kind words. My daughter is being moved to Glasgow hospital tomorrow to a department that is specialised in her condition. Unfortunately, I'm having to cancel this weekend away as I won't be able to visit her there. Due to covid, she's only allowed one parent there and it makes sense that it's her mother as she lives with her. The next step is for her to be stable and from the sounds of it, they will be on the case when she gets there first thing tomorrow morning. There is still a long road ahead, but she will be getting the care she desperately needs.

As for the LP, I'll be continuing on as it'll brings a sense of normality and control within the realms with what's going. Plus I enjoy doing them, it's been a surreal experience and a learning curve but it's become a fun ride.

Well, I was planning on doing Dublin next which has been a pain in the arse to get through.

Thank you again, everyone, for your support. My daughter will always be a priority. I'm not going to stress myself out with the LP, while some things are still up in the air I'll work on it if and when I can. Now I'm not going to Scotland this weekend I'll have a lot of free time and I'll need to keep my mind occupied between phone calls and things. I have taken a break from recording since Sunday and I'll be taking a break from it until Friday or the weekend. I have done a test run of the next section as well as planning the next Sherlock Holmes segment which was just to keep me focused and productive.

snohax
May 30, 2011

Echoing the sentiment of wishing all the best for you and your daughter. I'm glad the LP is bringing you enjoyment in the midst of this, as I've certainly been enjoying following it.

Since no one else mentioned it, I wanted to highlight a moment at the 20 minute mark in your last video. You're talking about the need to approach BPA Newgate with caution due to the minefield, and as soon as you finish speaking there's the distant scream of some poor NPC who clearly ignored your advice :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I returned home from Glasgow a little while ago, unfortunately, I've picked up a bug in the meantime and my voice is very croaky. I thought that I'd attempt to do a couple of recordings now that I've returned but the first one felt wonky with my voice the way it is. After recording one video I was going to do another, but I've quickly become tired and emotionally drained from these past days. I will attempt another update for this LP when myself and my voice have recovered somewhat. I'll be updating my other LP thread soon, I didn't want anyone to think that I was neglecting this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I hope your daughter is doing okay and even starting to get better!