Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Fact is I've played less than 1 game a day since the new drop. Balanced or no it's not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I want them to just drop a expansion all at once instead of piecemeal, lot of stuff doesn't have enough support or they hold off on balance changes until the dust has settled after a expansion but by then the next expansion is around the corner.

Doesn't help that Irelia is the only viable champion from this above a 40% winrate.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I want them to just drop a expansion all at once instead of piecemeal, lot of stuff doesn't have enough support or they hold off on balance changes until the dust has settled after a expansion but by then the next expansion is around the corner.

Doesn't help that Irelia is the only viable champion from this above a 40% winrate.

I'm not defending anything, but my understanding is that this is the last expansion not designed to be dropped in thirds, and the next one will have been designed for this structure.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I just checked this, and it does leave one of those spaces. Did the attacking unit have overwhelm? That's the only reason I can think of for that to happen.

I BELIEVE it didn't have overwhelm, but I admit I could easily be wrong, I may not have noticed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Neuronyx posted:

I BELIEVE it didn't have overwhelm, but I admit I could easily be wrong, I may not have noticed.
It had overwhelm :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Great starting hand against Scars, guess I'm dealing 7 damage to some motherfuckers :v:

Edit:

INFINITE MONKY

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 15, 2021

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
They gotta do something about the Azir/Irellia deck, even counter decks don't have a great win ratio against it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
the Marshal is what really makes it absurd, 1/1's are easy enough to block and some keywords like fury, tough, lifesteal make them ignorable or a benefit to block, Azir's +1 makes them slightly more annoying and get some punch in them, but a couple Marshals giving them +2 each means you need to trade your entire board to survive the disposable attack, then they launch a actual attack and you got nothing left.

And then Irelia can swap in to freely trade with any blade.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The synergy between Azir/Dais and blade dance is just too powerful. I conceptually don't like backline champions so I would prefer that Azir be required to attack to get his effect off but there's any number of changes that could be made.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

The deck might be a bit too hot right now, but it definitely has effective counters. It's also the only thing currently keeping TLC somewhat in check, which is a far more toxic deck for the meta imo. I think a lot of the complaints about the deck are overblown, and personally I enjoy the more aggro focused meta.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I don't mind the Azirelia meta, but I'm playing Mono Fiora.

The Marshall is bullshit tho, it's gotta get nerfed.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Mono fiora is definitely the silver bullet. I've had success with ez/draven with the right removal but really the best strategy is aggression. Azirelia has terrible defense and takes 5-6 rounds to really go off the rails. Often I'm barely scraping out a win on a round 5-7 open attack where I'd be facing down 15+ damage if I passed priority.

I have to say I'm having a lot of fun though. It's been so easy to make new decks and there's a lot more diversity than in mtg.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

One of the senior producers just chimed in on a reddit thread calling for azirelia nerfs
https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/ndqe86/anybody_have_any_insider_information_that_would/

Although reddit appears to be in full meltdown mode about the deck so I'd be surprised if it didnt get some hits in the next balance patch.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Yeah the mono fiora poo poo can eat my rear end. I don't care if she lost 1 health or whatever, of all the decks in the game, of all the cards, ones centrally built around her are by far the most unpleasant, unfun bullshit and there's been so, so many iterations of it.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 17, 2021

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I don't get it, I really do not. Who thinks an auto-win that can be achieved super quick and super easy was a good idea? God, what a horrible loving card.

E: Also why did they decide to gently caress the UI up so badly? Moving the button to view card art and stuff over to the right, outright REMOVING everything that was on the left when right clicking a card in the collection, now I have to loving remember what my wild cards were since the card you click BLOCKS THE VIEW OF YOUR WILDCARDS UP TOP because again, for no god drat reason, it's all been removed from the left side were there's PLENTY of space. They make some of the dumbest loving decisions in this game, I swear to god.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 17, 2021

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Interestingly, I've crushed almost every Azrelia deck I've gone against in expedition. They usually get me down to the 5 health range and then completely run out of steam both board presence and card wise.

I did have the wonderful experience of losing the 7th and final match of an expedition to someone playing literally 6 mist wraith cards in a row with a round 1/3/5 attack. 1 wraith each turn 2 & 3, 2 wraith turn 4, 2 wraiths turn 5. Not sure what are the chances of a draft or a draw like that. The most I've had of a single card in expedition is 5 I think.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

hit button posted:

One of the senior producers just chimed in on a reddit thread calling for azirelia nerfs
https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/ndqe86/anybody_have_any_insider_information_that_would/

Although reddit appears to be in full meltdown mode about the deck so I'd be surprised if it didnt get some hits in the next balance patch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/ne28z9/riots_opinion_of_the_current_meta/

They doubled down, looks like Azir Irelia is here for a bit at least.

Servaetes posted:

Yeah the mono fiora poo poo can eat my rear end. I don't care if she lost 1 health or whatever, of all the decks in the game, of all the cards, ones centrally built around her are by none the most unpleasant, unfun bullshit and there's been so, so many iterations of it.

I run Unyielding Spirit too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Taliyah, Malphite, and Zilean confirmed unplayable trash, I guess.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I think that post is really further reinforcement that there’s a lot of thinking and gameplay decisions in this game, and at the end of the day you can play almost any coherent deck up to high diamond or low masters as long as you’re good at it.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Interestingly, I've crushed almost every Azrelia deck I've gone against in expedition.

That's not really surprising, expedition is a very different environment to ladder. Combo decks like Azirelia are really sensitive to having the right ratios of the right pieces in order to work, and that's something that you really don't have good control over in expeditions.

Clarste posted:

Taliyah, Malphite, and Zilean confirmed unplayable trash, I guess.

I feel like Zilean, and the predict archetype in general, is something that could potentially be very powerful but just doesn't have a home in any decks that fit the meta right now.

Taliyah and Malphite's gimmicks just kinda suck tho, yes.

hit button fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 17, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Zilean works pretty alright with Lissandra for decks wanting to turbo out Frozen Thralls and run over poo poo. Probably not better than the usual TLC setup though.

Taliyah & Malphite.... yeah. Landmarks just aren't impactful enough to try to build around how slow and clunky they are.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

All that said, we are still missing the final piece of the Shurima expansion. Who knows what gamebreaking landmarks will drop with it? Also Ekko, who's probably the intended partner for Zilean.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm more interested in balance changes and reworking unused cards.

Like Vanguard Lookout is a no text 2 mana 1/4 elite, this is in 0 decks, change it to something like 2 mana 1/3 with text "if I take damage from blocking a enemy and survive draw a card" and bam you got something people would consider slotting into demacia decks as chump blockers that replace themselves.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think the problem with saying azir irelias win rate isn't high so it's balanced is that ignores the day that it has had a huge metawarping effect so no one plays decks that have too bad of a matchup against it. Like if all in of your opponents get to pre sideboard against you sure you won't win a lot.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Neuronyx posted:

I don't get it, I really do not. Who thinks an auto-win that can be achieved super quick and super easy was a good idea? God, what a horrible loving card.
It's only quick and easy if the person not playing fiora makes it that way. There's a crazy amount of counterplay for most decks.

I don't say that as a Fiora player. I have tried mono fiora because I technically like decks like that, but it's just not very fun to play or even very good. I enjoy playing against it far more even if sometimes I get blown out by the perfect combination of supporting spells.

quote:

E: Also why did they decide to gently caress the UI up so badly? Moving the button to view card art and stuff over to the right, outright REMOVING everything that was on the left when right clicking a card in the collection, now I have to loving remember what my wild cards were since the card you click BLOCKS THE VIEW OF YOUR WILDCARDS UP TOP because again, for no god drat reason, it's all been removed from the left side were there's PLENTY of space. They make some of the dumbest loving decisions in this game, I swear to god.
The ui/ux for this game is consistently annoying. You can't click to skip anything, there are tons of pointless screens that linger forever because you can't click through, nothing is responsive, you're forced to sit through the same level up animations and same delays in each game, claiming rewards is an unbelievable nightmare that seemingly never ends, etcetc.

The way interaction with the ui feels, especially out of game, is just fundamentally wrong. Even on mobile/tablet it feels like I'm sitting there waiting around for the ui to let me do what I wanted to do 10 seconds ago. It rubs me the wrong way, but there are lots of people who don't even notice it.

Where can you even view your expedition token count now? I don't see it in the shop or on my profile or in my collection. I bet the answer is "in expeditions" but I refuse to click expedition without knowing my token count. ;)

I've no actual gameplay complaints. The card game portion of LoR is very well designed, fun to play, and has an impressive amount of depth. Monetization design is also great. Pay $0 and get access to any deck you want is a stellar model for the genre.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 18, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i think you only see expedition token count when you go to the expedition screen. my big pet peeve is the slow as gently caress after game screens. when i finish a game i want to start a new game not sit through 20 seconds of crap

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Patch notes, spend some money on Riots shiny tat

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/game-updates/patch-2-8-0-notes/

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I've been disappointed in lor's cosmetics game. They really should be shooting for hearthstone quality animations and interactivity, both on the board (how is there no board shaking effect when big creatures hit?? And card specific animations like mtga has? Cmon guys) and on the periphery. Hearthstone boards are engaging and cute and full of personality. Lor boards are almost totally static. Maybe this one is better but you have to pay for it and it'll only be on your half of the board.

Also, the companions clip their animations a lot, mtga does it better. I'm not going to get into the huge number of post game screens and unnecessary clicks just to get into a game, suffice to say it's bush league. It shouldn't be a matter of dev resources either, UX directly influences player engagement and retention.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

I've been disappointed in lor's cosmetics game. They really should be shooting for hearthstone quality animations and interactivity, both on the board (how is there no board shaking effect when big creatures hit?? And card specific animations like mtga has? Cmon guys) and on the periphery. Hearthstone boards are engaging and cute and full of personality. Lor boards are almost totally static. Maybe this one is better but you have to pay for it and it'll only be on your half of the board.

Also, the companions clip their animations a lot, mtga does it better. I'm not going to get into the huge number of post game screens and unnecessary clicks just to get into a game, suffice to say it's bush league. It shouldn't be a matter of dev resources either, UX directly influences player engagement and retention.

Agreed. I WANT to buy boards but they're all boring with no destructible clickies I want.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Draynar posted:

They gotta do something about the Azir/Irellia deck, even counter decks don't have a great win ratio against it.

ive only lost twice since i tuned my nasus thresh and shyv asol decks to be stronger vs them. my 2 wails being in hand have definatly cost me games vs other decks though. i am only in diamond though so maybe the players arent as good? but its also a hard deck to pilot which is why im not playing it because its absolutely insanely fun.

i dont like the cosmetics to much either. skins are a nice step in the right direction though. i feel like eternal has better cosmetic boards and minions / totems and theres arent that great compared to hs

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 19, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
edit: wrong thread sorry

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I just had a legit gamebreaking bug, my opponent ate a dragon chow with a screeching dragon, then it just disappeared and he disconnected for a while. I was able to play as normal, he reconnected after a minute and of course lost. A 5/6 dragon doesn't just disappear, even if his internet went bad and sent the server garbage data, the server shouldn't accept an impossible change in board state! Makes me wonder if anyone has tried making cheats for lor.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I decided to start playing this game, is there a guide to which regions to go down first for specific rewards? I notice the order of rewards at least is different for different regions. Personally I have no interest in any kind of constructed play, only expeditions.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I decided to start playing this game, is there a guide to which regions to go down first for specific rewards? I notice the order of rewards at least is different for different regions. Personally I have no interest in any kind of constructed play, only expeditions.

then the rewards do nothing for you.

the region tracks only give non-cosmetic rewards for constructed play.

expeditions and lab of legends use their own fixed card pools.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

then the rewards do nothing for you.

the region tracks only give non-cosmetic rewards for constructed play.

expeditions and lab of legends use their own fixed card pools.

Oh, I figured the chests would give the shard stuff that you can use to pay for expeditions since the one I opened at the end of the prologue track had some.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

If you're only doing expeditions it doesn't really matter. If you want to get the most cards possible it's probably best to go down each track until around level 12 where the bonus xp stops. Once you've done that you'll have a good idea of how each region plays and go focus on that track to get more of their cards.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh, I figured the chests would give the shard stuff that you can use to pay for expeditions since the one I opened at the end of the prologue track had some.

whoops, you are correct, they give you shards in varying amounts each time you open chests. I've never used shards for expeditions, and I've never done an expedition since lab of legends came out.

In that case if you want shards, choose whichever track gives you the next chest the fastest. Eventually when you max out a card, the next time you get one you'll get a small number of shards instead.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
The general rule of thumb is to level them in sets of 4. Usually at every 4th award theres something decent (champ pack, etc). Do 4 levels, swap, etc etc

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you get a free expedition token at some level of vault progression every week. like 5 or 6 i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I almost wanted to complain about the new duo lab only giving rewards if your team wins two games, but uh...

Your partner's games counting for your quests INCLUDING PRISMATIC QUESTS? is really loving awesome?