Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought the Venture compound was in Colorado, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

feedmyleg posted:

I thought the Venture compound was in Colorado, too?

Outside Colorado Springs, iirc.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Splint Chesthair posted:

Doom Factory etc.

I got some bad news for you...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

I got some bad news for you...

It could be a period piece!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

I think Captain Sunshine is based in Colorado, which of all places seems to have a robust pro-/antagonist scene.

There's only so many things to do in Denver when you're dead (inside).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Andy Warhols regenerate just like manatees do

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I’m assuming the well of notable New Yorkers that would be entertaining as antagonist/ protagonist is pretty deep.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I won't get my hopes up, but in my most optimistic moments I'm expecting a hilarious and satisfying 2-hour finale, only for Adult Swim to turn around and say "actually you can make another season of this" and then we get a weird disconnected coda in 2027.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 14, 2021

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Adult swim can revive The Tick for the fourth time

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Give it to me in Ben Edlund original cartoon form and you got a deal!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Any reboot needs self contained plot arcs of they are working with AS this much is clear

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I rather it not be cancelled than get a movie, but a win is a win!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's nothing saying that this'd be the only movie

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I would absolutely adore a Tick/VB crossover. Both universes feel very in-tune.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Xelkelvos posted:

There's nothing saying that this'd be the only movie

Urbaniak tweeted that this movie is the Venture Bros. series finale.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Spoon! :D

Seriously, if they manage to make a tick animated series on par with the one in the 90's (or heck the amazon prime version), they would officially be on my Christmas Card list. :D

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really hope we somehow get more Christmas singles out of this too

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
And shirt club.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Geo Fixer posted:

I would absolutely adore a Tick/VB crossover. Both universes feel very in-tune.

With VB over, I’d love it if Hammer/Publick teamed up with Edlund to do an animated Tick show with the same cast/characters as the Amazon Tick show. That one was so good and also cancelled too soon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

With VB over, I’d love it if Hammer/Publick teamed up with Edlund to do an animated Tick show with the same cast/characters as the Amazon Tick show. That one was so good and also cancelled too soon.

I could get solidly behind that.

(What happens if Captain Sunshine meets sun-worshipping dog-launchers??????)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Do it you cowards

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

You can definitely see some venture bros vibes in The Tick cartoon. I think Jackson publick just likes to come up with weird superheroes

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

I could get solidly behind that.

(What happens if Captain Sunshine meets sun-worshipping dog-launchers??????)

I'm not waking up... THIS ISN'T A DREAM!!!!!!!!1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

You can definitely see some venture bros vibes in The Tick cartoon. I think Jackson publick just likes to come up with weird superheroes

That would explain a lot.

I feel the Amazon Tick show was a bit all over the place tone-wise, wasn't certain what it wanted to be. Though the strongest bit is probably working with the mix of superheroic shenanigans and everyday family life, and the Tick eager to help people in more ways than just punching bad guys.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would explain a lot.

I feel the Amazon Tick show was a bit all over the place tone-wise, wasn't certain what it wanted to be. Though the strongest bit is probably working with the mix of superheroic shenanigans and everyday family life, and the Tick eager to help people in more ways than just punching bad guys.

Hmm? Could you go into more detail?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

AT&T is selling its media properties to Discovery

God knows what this means for the show (if anything)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hmm? Could you go into more detail?

I found that it wasn't very funny, that was my biggest gripe. I don't know if it was internal tonal inconsistency, or inconsistency between the show's tone and the comic.

Remembering the comic, what it seemed to have was a lolrandom lightheartedness at the conceptual level, the whole Chairface sort of thing. You don't get that in a post-MCU show where all your characters are super-duper serious and "gritty" and dealing with issues like PTSD and family members getting murdered. Tick's goofy happy-go-lucky fish-out-of-water soliloquies were always supposed to be incongruous with the setting, that's his character, but putting them up against so much blood-n-guts when Serafinowicz ... I don't know, nobody can sell the character in RL as far as I'm concerned, not even Warburton. But especially not when the suit is so restrictive of movement you have to stalk around stiffly like you're in armor. And it just makes it harder to buy his lighthearted take on the world when everything's so heavy.

And this is a small nit but I could only roll my eyes at the fanservice lines like "spoon" and "not in the face" which were both forced and nonsensical.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, Data Graham put it pretty well. Still though, I felt the show has unusual strengths when it does get into things like PTSD and family life, with the Tick showing up at a family party and fitting in perfectly because he's a nice dude that it's hard not to like, and Arthur's mom helping take care of the kids of a reluctant supervillain while they're getting her name cleared.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Nice! posted:

Urbaniak tweeted that this movie is the Venture Bros. series finale.

hmm. sad, but good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, I'm OK with it ending rather than years of doubt or a soft reboot or something. As long as we get a master box set of everything with the early stuff upscaled properly and more commentaries.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Theoretically you could upscale the pilot into any resolution, but you would also have to find a working version of flash.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that there's no reason to assume that James Urbaniak definitively knows the inner workings of the deal rather than making assumptions about what a follow up movie to a cancelled show usually means.

Nothing ever dies fully in today's media world.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I found that it wasn't very funny, that was my biggest gripe. I don't know if it was internal tonal inconsistency, or inconsistency between the show's tone and the comic.

Remembering the comic, what it seemed to have was a lolrandom lightheartedness at the conceptual level, the whole Chairface sort of thing. You don't get that in a post-MCU show where all your characters are super-duper serious and "gritty" and dealing with issues like PTSD and family members getting murdered. Tick's goofy happy-go-lucky fish-out-of-water soliloquies were always supposed to be incongruous with the setting, that's his character, but putting them up against so much blood-n-guts when Serafinowicz ... I don't know, nobody can sell the character in RL as far as I'm concerned, not even Warburton. But especially not when the suit is so restrictive of movement you have to stalk around stiffly like you're in armor. And it just makes it harder to buy his lighthearted take on the world when everything's so heavy.

And this is a small nit but I could only roll my eyes at the fanservice lines like "spoon" and "not in the face" which were both forced and nonsensical.

Yeah this largely jibes with my own experience as well. It just didn't translate the way they did it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bootleg Trunks posted:

VB, especially the early stuff, uses a lot of ideas Jackson had for the Tick cartoon but never got to use.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Pershing posted:

AT&T is selling its media properties to Discovery

God knows what this means for the show (if anything)

This is a new source of confusion and might make the licensing deals even more complicated. I got the impression that the HBO folks were at least interested in Venture Bros, but I don’t know how likely that will be for Discovery. On one hand it’s a type of content under represented in their current properties so creating additional content for established shows is possibly nice low hanging fruit, but on the other hand it’s easy to imagine that if they haven’t been interested in that type of content before it’s probably low priority / low interest.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and someone at Discovery is a big fan. Or will at least let whatever is left of adult swim have some freedom.

I hope Doc and Jackson have a more solid contract / financing for the movie than they had for season 8.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

The Venture Brothers mine for gold, as Brock is released into the wilderness with only his knife.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The "new" company is still going to be 71% owned by AT&T and has a board split of 7 AT&T and 6 Discovery. The CEO (for now) may be Discovery's CEO, but make no mistake it's basically just AT&T.

The whole merger is a way for AT&T to extract cash from WarnerMedia now and offload liability to another entity. The company is starting $55 billion in debt.

Worrying about Venture Bros in this situation is being worried that a few stray rays of light are going to start a forest fire when you have a fireworks factory exploding around you.

We will still get this film unless things implode too fast. Beyond that, things look really sketchy for HBO in general.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's starting to look a lot like many predicted and HBO go is gonna sink the company.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gaius Marius posted:

It's starting to look a lot like many predicted and HBO go is gonna sink the company.

Well, HBO will be its own company now with discovery stuff and AT&T just got a fresh $43 billion.

HBO may end up floundering, but AT&T got what they wanted/needed out of it and it's not going to hurt them. They can just declare bankruptcy in a few years, the shareholders can get another buyout, and WarnerMedia will enter another MGM type limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gaius Marius posted:

Thus the true price of The Snyder Cut is finally paid.