Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I am asking out of genuine curiosity because I am mystified. What did you find offensive about the clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zesty posted:

Come back to a thread to a bunch of responses, including this guy who made several posts on it, ending in this one, before I even got back to the thread.

Think, "meh. We just had a bunch of nazi defenders in the thread. Like I care to get into it when they're starting from here." Let it go because I just don't have the spoons for this.

DAYS later, same guy decides he's going to be obsessive about it.

Then this winner:

Totally hostile and just a tad creepy. So sorry I have opinions on betting strategy and poorly worded clues. I just don't have it in me to be your acceptable level of white noise.

Stop being snippy and lovely. It's the loving jeopardy thread.

Sorry friend you are the one being snippy and lovely in the Jeopardy thread.

Why was the Rastafarianism question racist?

Why did you acuse a random contestant of being a member of Q?

Why did you get upset at the Columbus quote and then blow it off when called on it?

You are making serious accusations against the crew and contestants of the show. Some we ALL saw and were shocked. But then there is just random stuff you see in your mind and then are posting here and then not engaging in further conversation about your accusations.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 13, 2021

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Zesty posted:

Come back to a thread to a bunch of responses, including this guy who made several posts on it, ending in this one, before I even got back to the thread.

Hey, I just wanted to clarify that I actually watched the episode for myself, as I had explicitly stated in the first post that I hadn't. It wasn't really about impatience with your lack of reply.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My question was in earnest as well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

christmas boots posted:

My question was in earnest as well.

Yeah, you're cool, man.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I would like to know as well but I figured enough people had already asked so I didnt bother. Genuinely curious.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I can say with a certain degree of confidence that Zesty won't be answering the question and it's best to move on.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Brutal miss on FJ for the middle contestant. Inexplicable whiff in a simple question for the third. Can't imagine the champ thought she was pulling that off going into a criminally easy final in last place.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is from yesterday but I didn't expect Fountains of Wayne to ever be an answer to a category on composers lol.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HookShot posted:

This is from yesterday but I didn't expect Fountains of Wayne to ever be an answer to a category on composers lol.

Only thing that would have made that better is if it was one of those clues where Alex sings the lyrics.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The champ should know everything, seeing as she's Janet from The Good Place

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CPColin posted:

THANK YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
So, last October I got the invite to do Zoom auditions. Did Round 1, the test, on October 28. Got told on November 4 that I passed, and that info on scheduling Round 2, the mock game/interview, would be forthcoming.

Trebek died November 8.

And that was the last I heard until today, when they invited me to schedule my mock game for next week.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

CPColin posted:

YES

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Propaniac posted:

So, last October I got the invite to do Zoom auditions. Did Round 1, the test, on October 28. Got told on November 4 that I passed, and that info on scheduling Round 2, the mock game/interview, would be forthcoming.

Trebek died November 8.

And that was the last I heard until today, when they invited me to schedule my mock game for next week.

Get it! Give them a lot of energy!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Middle contestant today wearing a suit jacket that is clearly about two sizes too small is aggravating me to an unreasonable extent.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

ToC on monday, the most wonderful time of the year!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Propaniac posted:

Trebek died November 8.

Congratulations, crush it!!

Spokes posted:

ToC on monday, the most wonderful time of the year!

I'm so excited.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Timby posted:

Middle contestant today wearing a suit jacket that is clearly about two sizes too small is aggravating me to an unreasonable extent.

"Stoinks for $200"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

something i learned today--the correct FJ response was historically known as Angora, as in Angora wool.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Zero One posted:

"Stoinks for $200"

Did he do the A Wyatt Mann handrubbing thing in the intro???

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

packetmantis posted:

Did he do the A Wyatt Mann handrubbing thing in the intro???

He did the Holzhauer 'all in' thing, so there are clearly no depths for that man.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know that counts as Asia I just can never remember in the moment when it comes up that it counts for Jeopardy purposes (realtalk my first thought was Pyongyang cause I forgot which direction was which I'm very stupid)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m watching tonight’s episode now and I’ve never wanted someone to lose more than Justin apart from James and Kelley

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
oh thank god

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I feel like saying both homophones when answering a question vocally isn't really necessary .

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dienes posted:

I feel like saying both homophones when answering a question vocally isn't really necessary .

Mr Hookshot was like “yeah Alex would have told them after the first one that you don’t need to say it twice”

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I know that counts as Asia I just can never remember in the moment when it comes up that it counts for Jeopardy purposes (realtalk my first thought was Pyongyang cause I forgot which direction was which I'm very stupid)

Turkey was my first thought but the clue was so specific about being "mainland" or something. I said if it isn't Turkey I has to be Ukraine or one of the -stans.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Unkempt posted:

He did the Holzhauer 'all in' thing, so there are clearly no depths for that man.

That only looks ool if you are betting like 15,000 dollars or something like James. Being that theatrical for betting 2500 or whatever looks hilarious.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

That only looks ool if you are betting like 15,000 dollars or something like James. Being that theatrical for betting 2500 or whatever looks hilarious.

You mean the guy who called them "stoinks" (not even "stonks", what the gently caress, dude?) failed at looking badass? You don't say.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"How much would you like to wager?"

*has -$500 after two questions in the initial jeopardy round.*

"I've always wanted to say this. I'd like to make this a true Daily Double"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1394091818862751744?s=21

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/business/media/jeopardy-hand-gesture-maga-conspiracy.html

I thought part of the accusations was that he had some other stuff on his Facebook? The Times didn't mention that at all.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
TOURNAMENT

OF

CHAMPIONS

LET'S GO MACKENZIE

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

quote:

Then, two weeks later, the group finally heard back from the Anti-Defamation League, the Jewish civil rights group that is usually quick to call out anything with the faintest smell of bigotry.

“Thank you for reaching out regarding your concern over a Jeapardy [sic] contestant flashing what you believed to be a white power hand signal,” wrote Aaron Ahlquist, of the A.D.L., according to text posted to the group by the contestant who had emailed the group. “We have reviewed the tape and it looks like he is simply holding up three fingers when they say he is a three-time champion. We do not interpret his hand signal to be indicative of any ideology. However, we are grateful to you for raising your concern, and please do not hesitate to contact us in the future should the need arise.”
Somebody here got called a Nazi for voicing the same skepticism as the Jewish Anti-Defamation League

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Poque posted:

TOURNAMENT

OF

CHAMPIONS

LET'S GO MACKENZIE
TEAM ZUFF

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I want everyone to win! definitely MacKenzie more than everybody else but I just hope, you know, everyone has a good time. Looking forward to a couple weeks of harder clues, too

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Zero One posted:

I thought part of the accusations was that he had some other stuff on his Facebook? The Times didn't mention that at all.

he had
1) a picture of a maga cap
2) a picture of frank sinatra doing the same hand symbol

The thing is, this hasn't been about the guy himself in weeks. the monolithic JEOPARDY CONTESTANTS group got a taste of power when they thought they (and not the tens of thousands of others) got jeopardy to have levar burton host, and now they're continuing to try to bend the show to their whim--in this case, they're specifically not resting until the show chooses to formally libel a contestant. Obviously, this isn't going to happen, so i have no idea what the resolution is going to be. The NYT article was a little harsh but they kind of deserve it.

my opinion:
gently caress this guy, he's obviously a maga dipshit and probably felt sly doing his little thing with all the plausible deniability in the world. i certainly wouldn't bet money on it though, and i also wouldn't dedicate my entire online life to destroying him as hundreds of people have chosen to spend their time doing :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I must have completely blocked out this middle guy from my memory. God what a turd.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

Looking forward to a couple weeks of harder clues, too

okay, maybe next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I know that Trebek wanted a woman of color to replace him as the full-time host, but gently caress it, Buzzy is knocking it out of the park in his very first game on his very first day of taping. Authoritative, enthusiastic and not at all condescending.