Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I'm going to listen to one Nature intern and not literally every conversation biologist
She interviewed a lot of conservation biologists and entomologists for the article, and opinion was split.

Conversation biologists would be a cool thing, though.

I’m not arguing in favor of eliminating mosquitoes, I just don’t want to antagonize anyone named Janet Fang. She seems cool and has a ball python.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

every time Naomi Wolf publicly opens her mouth I become increasingly convinced she is a Jillian Bell character

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Naomi Wolf is the kind of dumb where I can't even finish reading her tweets because I just get embarrassed for her and everyone subjected to her. I don't think anyone has been so consistently wrong about everything since Matt Walsh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did Walsh’s latest even get posted in here?

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1393940968471240713

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dude has a beard though

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Teach posted:

Sometimes I feel that FB doesn't know me at all.

I mean - seriously? Who is this meant to appeal to?

Their website. Real lowtax energy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Oh hey you're bra-less :wiggle:

Oh yeah my underboobs were mad sweaty :buddy:

I know I'm a week late but I wanted to share that I've spent the last nearly-decade being gay and apparently I'm actually bi because I live with a woman now. One of the crazy new experiences this has brought me is that actually bothering to put on a bra is more likely to be "oh hell yeah sex incoming" and braless is more "you do you lady, it's hot out, that poo poo looks uncomfortable, and I'm over here complaining that I might have to put on pants in four or five hours."

Also a lot of wonderful firsthand experience with patriarchy, like last week she opened a new bank account and I came with because she fosters service puppies and it's easier to do poo poo with someone to hold/train the puppy. It was very clearly not a joint account, I was just sitting there puppy dadding without an ID, never signing anything, and still the bank guy kept directing questions at me like I was in charge.

I already knew things were poo poo for women but I didn't get to live it before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh goodness, yes. My wife loves home renovation stuff, so she's constantly dealing with hardware stores and contractors and stuff. I'm miserable with the stuff, but still they'll approach me primarily or call me instead of her and I have to be like listen, I'm insanely bored by this, every aspect down to the ground is my wife's idea, she's got the vision and the will to see it through, literally leave me alone and call the drat number of/approach the client who initiated with you.

It drove me nuts because sure, I live there, or I'm with her, but that means nothing. I could be a roommate, a supportive friend, a ride, anyone. If I were working with, say, a painter and they asked my friend something about how they wanted my trim instead of me, I'd be like wtf. But it's just kind of assumed to be alright somehow. I'm not even sure where I'm going with this, probably better for the pet peeve thread.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Dude has a beard though

I was thinking the same thing, a beard is a mask for a weak chin. Show your chin coward.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Rhinos topped the beast v. beast matchups. YouGov just didn’t deign to ask respondents if the respondent themselves could take one.

Everytime I see something like this, I am always reminded of this thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/off-topic-5/the-average-unarmed-human-can-easily-beat-a-wolf-i-1996195/

quote:

Human beings may not have fur, teeth, or claws, but we have several physical advantages over most animals that make us incredibly deadly even unarmed.

I am aware that there have been many times in which people have been mauled by pitbulls and other domesticated dogs.

The only reason this happens is because the majority of people that are attacked by vicious animals tend to put most of their effort into running away instead of fighting back. Humans today have forgotten how deadly we are due to the soft, protected lives we've been living for many centuries.

Another argument that delusional wolf advocates will use is that wolves take down larger prey, therefore, they can beat the average human. This is false as well, because humans are physically better equipped at taking down wolves than the prey that wolves normally hunt: We have incredibly flexible limbs, we're very dexterous, and we have great balance on two legs which allows us to hit very hard and choke out our opponents.

If a human were to ever get attacked by any canine, all we would have to do is rap one of our arms arounds its neck and choke it to death.Even if a canine does manage to knock you down when it charges at you, a person could easily recover from the position by first protecting his neck with his arm, and then using his hips to quickly get up. From there, pin the dog down with your stronger limbs then choke it to death.Here are incidents in which people killed canines without weapons:

http://sputniknews.com/world/20130905/183180312/Kazakh-Man-Kills-Wolf-with-Bare-Hands--Report.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338906/Jogger-kills-savage-dog-bare-hands-attacked-son-7.html

http://archive.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/050322/pitbull.shtml

If you are a fully grown man in good health and you lose to any canine in a fight without weapons, you are a pathetic coward and you need to defend yourself instead of run away.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

learnincurve posted:

Dude has a beard though

What's her name?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

quote:

If you are a fully grown man in good health and you lose to any canine in a fight without weapons, you are a pathetic coward and you need to defend yourself instead of run away.

This is excellent advice for anyone, at any time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheKennedys posted:

Naomi Wolf is the kind of dumb where I can't even finish reading her tweets because I just get embarrassed for her and everyone subjected to her. I don't think anyone has been so consistently wrong about everything since Matt Wals
Yglesias is equally consistently incorrect, but never to so flamboyant a 'my towel is controlled by aliens' degree as Wolf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It continues to amaze me that people with such utterly aberrant thinking patterns apparently can exist in society.

It's like one of those machine learning things where they generate something that shows absolutely no rational understanding of the problem but nonetheless is structured to meet all the absolutely necessary components of the solution.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the only thing Naomi Wolf had posted was the “peaceful Belfast with no 5G” thing, she would still be one of the all-time Twitter greats.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

They use their trunks to fight. They'd just grab the ostrich by the neck and tear it around like a ragdoll.

I recall Les Stroud saying in some Survivorman episode in India or nearby that he was far more afraid of the murderous elephants than he was the tigers. Like you have to build your sleeping platform high up enough in a tree that the elephants can't reach up with their trunk and pull you down. And presumably ragdoll you into trees or gore you or stomp you into paste.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I once saw a documentary where a famous game hunter described how you would theoretically kill an adult elephant with no weapons. The key is preparation. What you would, according to this guy, is find a clearing and dig round pit, about five feet deep. Fill the pit with kindling and then light it on fire, letting the fire burn itself out until just the ashes of the kindling remain. Then, place some green peas all around the outside of the pit. Then you would hide and wait for an elephant to come by.

When the elephant goes to take a pea, kick him in the ash-hole

This joke brought to you by seven year old me

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
why would that kill the elephant?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How do you reach an elephant's rear end in a top hat?

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Very carefully

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, screw that, you've got to jump right in there with gusto!

A classic

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Regarde Aduck posted:

why would that kill the elephant?

It's a bug: any fall damage instantly kills elephants

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

christmas boots posted:

It's a bug: any fall damage instantly kills elephants
Almost positive that elephants aren't bugs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't know, there are a couple of species that come close

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
:neckbeard:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Teach posted:

This is so loving sick lol

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Teach posted:

Sometimes I feel that FB doesn't know me at all.

Wow. I've gotten my share of weird ads but this one takes the cake. This is a work of art.

Here are some of the ones I got over the past year or so, including top-level domain nationalism of all things

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 18:03 on May 17, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
THERE IS NO GOD HERE BUT CUM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ReidRansom posted:

I recall Les Stroud saying in some Survivorman episode in India or nearby that he was far more afraid of the murderous elephants than he was the tigers. Like you have to build your sleeping platform high up enough in a tree that the elephants can't reach up with their trunk and pull you down. And presumably ragdoll you into trees or gore you or stomp you into paste.

Read "The Killing of an Elephant" by Orwell, then remember African elephants are even bigger.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Working overnights at a vet's office/kennel, I deal with these situations by simply assaulting large unruly dogs with my teeth and hands, like any good primate. In victory I tear their throat out with my teeth. The remaining enslaved hounds then know and respect my dominance.

(not really I use words and occasionally a lead)

Skwirl posted:

Read "The Killing of an Elephant" by Orwell, then remember African elephants are even bigger.

You know how torreadors die violently to bulls every few years? Elephants are like that but bigger and people-level intelligence, also they mourn their dead.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:03 on May 17, 2021

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

RatHat posted:

If we disregard damage between rounds then the Elephant or Rhino would easily win.

the seeding of this is rear end terrible and all the heavy hitters will have to fight each other knocking the others out. the real final is hippo vs who ever wins between rhino and elephant. the bottom seeds are all pussies.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
All you need to do to beat a hippo is consume more white marbles than it does.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Two Beans posted:

All you need to do to beat a hippo is tug it off before it has a chance to bite you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m lucky enough to be near two of the decent zoos with the kind of enclosures of “there is an animal in there somewhere good luck!” size so can go there guilt free and my god are humans stupid.

Once had to end an argument by pointing out to a woman that her 3 year old was right, that is a tiger and not a lion.
Another time some man nearly punched me out for running up screaming and grabbing his small child and throwing him out of the way as the emus barrelled into the fence he had his fingers through. Luckily the zookeeper was 3 seconds behind me and started going ballistic at the parents so I could escape.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Emus have a pretty good peck.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And three year olds have very little connective tissue between their finger joints

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

What's that saying? All birds were dinosaurs but emus still remember?

Also Geese probably.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

All you need to do to beat a hippo is tug it off before it has a chance to bite you

What if it’s a female? I mean who has that kind of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they made geese the size of emus that would be magnificent.

Actually I think that's just a chocobo.