Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Does anyone have the thread where people got extremely mad about dice production? I think it was an Ask/Tell thread.

OP's workplace got wind of the thread and I think he asked for the thread to disappear to avoid any further trouble. It's a pity, it was a good thread, what with CALIPERS and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That and the wifestalker threads are both inaccessible now.

It got memory holed with 3 unread posts and haunted my bookmark list

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You're telling me there was a thread for arguing about dice and it wasn't in Trad Games?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crowetron posted:

You're telling me there was a thread for arguing about dice and it wasn't in Trad Games?

Yeah, it was an A/T by a guy who worked at the most common dice company for nerd poo poo (Chessex). It was a great thread, he talked a lot about how out of date their business practices were, so it's no surprise it got in trouble!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Does anyone have the thread where people got extremely mad about dice production? I think it was an Ask/Tell thread.

That thread was so fuckin good lol.

I mean it was interesting the stuff the guy was talking about but the other posters were lol.

People get real mad about dice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

We should be mad about dice all the time, bring the thread back

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

PYF dice that makes you extremely mad :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, angry dice caliper goon was a forums hero for petty arguments. :rip: the three unread posts in that thread

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wasn’t angry dice caliper goon the same goon that got probated a few times for spamming report so much it was how the admins learned there was a report per day limit?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lima posted:

PYF dice that makes you extremely mad :v:

I don't like the weird-shaped ones that are hard to read

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
8 Sided Ballistic Missile

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

That bolt would never land on half of the numbers right? I love it, loaded rogue dice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't like the weird-shaped ones that are hard to read

They absolutely hosed up by not making the d4s into caltrops. As long as you're paying for yet another dice set, you should at least get some real life use out of them!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

They absolutely hosed up by not making the d4s into caltrops. As long as you're paying for yet another dice set, you should at least get some real life use out of them!

Scattering a bunch of these on the floor and running away when the DM asks me to chip in for the pizza.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spek posted:

Wasn't Noni also the one who made the big "he's pursuing the American dream!" post about Doobie in the Awful Kickstarters thread that inspired many goons to back the hot dog salesman?
I thought Noni was the guy who made the Pinku Bento Boxu thread.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Was there ever a collection of all the photos Wayne Gretzky posted with his balls in them, or am I having a fever dream? I feel like it was posted in this thread...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasn’t angry dice caliper goon the same goon that got probated a few times for spamming report so much it was how the admins learned there was a report per day limit?

Lol yes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ishikabibble posted:

Was there ever a collection of all the photos Wayne Gretzky posted with his balls in them, or am I having a fever dream? I feel like it was posted in this thread...

I don't think I ever saw one of those posts in the wild. I remember Wayne Gretzky as the guy in the bad ads thread that would post "the half naked women just being amazon referral links is fine and not a bad ad at all"

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I finally remembered this question I've been meaning to ask: why do people care about page snyping? I read the SAclopedia entry about the emote but I'm talking more about people apologizing for having the first post on a new page like it matters?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HOLY gently caress posted:

I finally remembered this question I've been meaning to ask: why do people care about page snyping? I read the SAclopedia entry about the emote but I'm talking more about people apologizing for having the first post on a new page like it matters?

It was a dumb joke that people started to do seriously like a literal cargo cult ritual hoping they would be funny too if they did it too

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HOLY gently caress posted:

it has to do with the fact that the first post on a page is the most seen post, as well as the fact that alot of people just skip to a page and start reading, so a snype set the tone for the thread for them

I think of it as an quaint but harmless cultural quirk of forums

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It used to be a bigger Thing in the past as the xx page snypa emoticons attest to, but now its just a more or less fun part of our ancient forums culture. Having your whitenoise post take pride of place on top of a new page is something that would never happen in Reddit, after all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

It used to be a bigger Thing in the past as the xx page snypa emoticons attest to, but now its just a more or less fun part of our ancient forums culture. Having your whitenoise post take pride of place on top of a new page is something that would never happen in Reddit, after all.

I seem to have a knack for my snypes being especially unfortunate. Like even dumber or more conversation-breaking than my usual posts.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oh, also one of the big deals back in the day was you couldn't edit in your snype, so it showed you were such a good poster you knew how many posts were on a page or some poo poo

I dunno, it was a demonstration of posting skill somehow

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

oh, also one of the big deals back in the day was you couldn't edit in your snype, so it showed you were such a good poster you knew how many posts were on a page or some poo poo

I dunno, it was a demonstration of posting skill somehow

Speaking of, I assume those reprobates who have their preferences set to display a non-standard number of posts per page get snypes showing up randomly wherever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Most of the time nobody would pay half a mind or even actively realize they were reading the first post on a new page if not reminded by the totally hilarious oh-shucks snype edits.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021
Page snypes are annoying but they are incredibly revealing in how many people don't actually bother making their posts either funny, informative, or interesting on any level and have to go back and retroactively add something of substance to their post when even the smallest amount of attention is drawn to it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was a dumb joke that people started to do seriously like a literal cargo cult ritual hoping they would be funny too if they did it too

Yeah I don’t mind people making a joke out of it but you can tell some people have real anxiety over it like ‘oh gosh oh gee oh no my post isn’t good enough to be a snipe *googles CAT PICTURE*’

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
like all momentarily funny or endearing things it got run into the ground

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

steinrokkan posted:

Most of the time nobody would pay half a mind or even actively realize they were reading the first post on a new page if not reminded by the totally hilarious oh-shucks snype edits.

Thats why it was originally bad form that would get you mocked to edit it in.

If someones snype had an edited line, they need to be given poo poo for it. Just accept you missed the snype and move on

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m never ashamed of my snipes. especially when the posts aren’t good.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You also used to get banned/probated for it, even if you got it 'right', because it was boring and unfunny.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

astral posted:

You also used to get banned for it, even if you got it 'right', because it was boring and unfunny.

You know, you have the power to make this happen again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Arivia posted:

Luckily, it hasn't been a problem in the Technical forum. I don't make the rules elsewhere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't seen someone do a content-free snipe-for-the-sake-of-sniping in quite a while, at least as I can recall.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Arivia posted:

*Ancient load bearing slurs begin stirring from the depths of Radium-code*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I haven't seen someone do a content-free snipe-for-the-sake-of-sniping in quite a while, at least as I can recall.

I take it you don't post in cspam?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

astral posted:

You also used to get banned/probated for it, even if you got it 'right', because it was boring and unfunny.

This would have been amazing if you had gotten the snipe

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nowadays it mostly serms to be people realizing their snype was unfunny or zero content and rushing to attempt to fix that.

I do not post in cspam, if its different there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

cool, thanks everyone :unsmith: