Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Domus posted:

We didn’t have DARE at my school. They were much more concerned about us smoking.

My school did a whole kayfabe thing where they pretended not to notice that ~30% of pupils smoked as long as they did it out of sight behind the sports equipment shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

We had some program like DARE, but it predated DARE (I think) and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. For all i know it was exclusive to eastern MT. I keep thinking Operation Rescue, but it was definitely not that

All i remember is at the end of it they were supposed to show us actual damaged human organs (smokers lungs, alcoholic's liver etc) but but for some reason, didn't and that was disappointing to us 6th graders

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 17, 2021

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
All I remember about DARE is that the little display they brought in to show us what drugs looked like made all of them appear tantalizingly like candy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DARE bought the whole school pizza so it's objectively a good program

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sweevo posted:

My school did a whole kayfabe thing where they pretended not to notice that ~30% of pupils smoked as long as they did it out of sight behind the sports equipment shed.

Most of the secret smoking in my school was done behind a small hedgerow which was known to all as the Burning Bush (Catholic convent school fyi)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My high school literally had a smokers corner near the parking lot where both the teachers and students smoked and nobody gave a poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
America: DARE
Also America: Calls it "High School"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My school sometimes behaved as though it was living in an alternate reality where it was still basically the 1950s. We got a half day one time on a Wednesday and they gave us instructions to go straight home in case the boys from the nearby schools came after us. Half the school had boyfriends or brothers from there, but you know, we were delicate convent school girls...
After I left, they got a new head, and according to my cousin, she instructed the girls to never eat chips (aka takeaway fries) while in uniform, because doing so was 'common'. For some reason, I was once made to have a one on one counselling session with one of the nuns, so I made up some trauma - I had a serious, debilitating phobia about basketball because I once got hit on the head with one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The headmistress of my convent school once told me off for sitting on the side of the street while waiting for the bus because it was 'common' too. I'm from a council estate, we're poor as poo poo, this isn't going to be what holds me back in life.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

HopperUK posted:

The headmistress of my convent school once told me off for sitting on the side of the street while waiting for the bus because it was 'common' too. I'm from a council estate, we're poor as poo poo, this isn't going to be what holds me back in life.

Around here, this would be described as 'notions' aka pretending unimportant poo poo is important because you're pretending to be an aristo. And of course, you're fooling no-one.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gaius Marius posted:

DARE bought the whole school pizza so it's objectively a good program

Hot drat.

I think I only encountered DARE in elementary school, maybe around fifth grade? Maybe fourth? I don't remember any pizza.

DARE had zero presence in my High School experience (early 2000s—I always assumed DARE had died out by then). Same deal for drunk driving prevention (like, holy poo poo, mock crashes?). Open campus, no mandatory assemblies, no metal detectors. I'm not sure what fraction of the student body smoked marijuana regularly, but I'm pretty sure the denominator was a single digit. I'd be shocked if more students smoked tobacco than marijuana.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Oh DARE. A program that glorifies civil asset forfeiture in the course of its copaganda.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Our high school ditched its driver's ed class because a student wrecked the only car.

In other ridiculous American school news:

The main takeaway I got from my middle-school health class (boys & girls took separate classes) was to not have sex because your dick would rot off. To emphasize this, we were shown graphic color slides of syphilitic penises.

We had no such required classes in high school so the best advice I got was from a PE coach: "Don't put your dick where your mouth hasn't been first."

I did drivers-ed in the early 1970's. School had brand new Chevy Impalas (the classic 350ci V8), I already knew how to drive, and the instructor would nod off. 4 students in the car. Too hard to resist peeling out and taking corners fast.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was only in my 20's listening to people talk about their high schools that I realized how oppressive mine really was.

We had four minutes to go from class to class and that was absolutely enforced, no exceptions for sob stories about how you had to get to your locker. People with out of the way lockers were unlucky because they had to carry around all their books for all their classes all day long. Backpacks or any bag other than a small lady's bag were not allowed in any classroom. You simply had to carry your stuff in your hands.

This was mine (built in 2001), except everyone had to carry their books because there were no lockers. Honestly if that's the direction new high schools are going, lockers are going to become a reference lost on modern audiences.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

carry on then posted:

This was mine (built in 2001), except everyone had to carry their books because there were no lockers. Honestly if that's the direction new high schools are going, lockers are going to become a reference lost on modern audiences.

Gonna blow your mind but UK schools ime at least hare never had them. Granted we were allowed to own bags at least jfc

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there were two people fundraising for dare outside the sandwich shop I often hit for lunch when I'm at work. they asked if I could give anything "to help the kids"

i wanted to read them the riot act like "are you for decriminalizing possession? for abolishing mandatory minimum sentencing?"

but I was hungry and my lunch break is just long enough to get there, get the sandwich and go back, and I can't argue poo poo without coming off like a huge rear end in a top hat, so I try not to get into arguments, even when I'm right, so back to the office it was.

also dare running on donations, what the gently caress, you'd think the cops would be paying for it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

carry on then posted:

Which brings us to an actual reference in older media: a book strap. A hundred years ago, apparently it hadn't occurred to anyone yet that kids could use some sort of bag for transporting their books. So they just cinched a leather strap or two around them and carried the bundle with the strap as a handle. I faintly recall seeing one of these in an old cartoon when I was a kid, and I tried it myself with an old belt, but I couldn't get it to work right -- there wasn't a hole in the right place so the the books kept sliding right out. I think real ones either had more holes or a sliding cinch-type buckle.

Still seems accident-prone to me. It was superseded by the backpack somewhere around the late 1930s: https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/11/02/445339503/from-book-strap-to-burrito-a-history-of-the-school-backpack

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And now you know where the design for the WinRAR icon cones from :eng101:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I feel like those things were in Harry Potter

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powered Descent posted:

Which brings us to an actual reference in older media: a book strap. A hundred years ago, apparently it hadn't occurred to anyone yet that kids could use some sort of bag for transporting their books. So they just cinched a leather strap or two around them and carried the bundle with the strap as a handle. I faintly recall seeing one of these in an old cartoon when I was a kid, and I tried it myself with an old belt, but I couldn't get it to work right -- there wasn't a hole in the right place so the the books kept sliding right out. I think real ones either had more holes or a sliding cinch-type buckle.

Still seems accident-prone to me. It was superseded by the backpack somewhere around the late 1930s: https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/11/02/445339503/from-book-strap-to-burrito-a-history-of-the-school-backpack

I've probably seen it in Little House On The Prairie or some poo poo. That'd be a hell of a weapon. Imagine getting smoked in the head with a bunch of text books swung from a strap?

I don't recall if the Canadian equivalent of DARE (Drugs Are Really Excellent?) came to my high school. I don't think they did, but definitely before high school, we got a bunch of anti-drug poo poo. There was one play that my class saw in grade 8 called Sex Drugs And Rock And Roll. The title sounded pretty fuckin awesome, but I missed it because my music teacher was a dick and I had to stay in class to finish some sort of MUSIC class assignment. I can definitely point to that as being why I had to resort to drugs and rock and roll in high school.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

feedmegin posted:

Gonna blow your mind but UK schools ime at least hare never had them. Granted we were allowed to own bags at least jfc

We had em. I think it was 'keep things in your home classroom's desk' for the first two years and then after that, everyone had a locker in the basement under the hall. It was all right. You got to know the kid alphabetically next to you really well.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

carry on then posted:

In the US (and other parts of the world?) there is a long history of using the same architects who design prisons to also design schools.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Powered Descent posted:

Back in the day, most books were pretty much the same size, making it easy to make them into a brick; they also didn't have slick covers. You didn't have "well, my social studies textbook is short and wide because it is just that special." Didn't have social studies, either, but.

Along the same lines, the bindle carried by the stereotypical hobo: red bandana pouch hung over the end of the stick. Familiar from cartoons, hasn't been seen in real life for a long time. There aren't many hobos left, but the ones that remain have some sort of bag/carrier/pack like everybody else.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the bindle carried by the stereotypical hobo: red bandana pouch hung over the end of the stick. Familiar from cartoons, hasn't been seen in real life for a long time. There aren't many hobos left, but the ones that remain have some sort of bag/carrier/pack like everybody else.
there are still lots of people using Bindles.

go to Brooklyn and look for the guys with waxed moustaches and thick-rimmed glasses

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My school had a thing where a group of prisoners came in to talk about how much jail sucks and that you should avoid going there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Mother flippers think this is a mother flipping joke?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

My school had a thing where a group of prisoners came in to talk about how much jail sucks and that you should avoid going there.

We took a field trip to the nearest jail and the prisoners all tried to scare us.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

We took a field trip to the nearest jail and the prisoners all tried to scare us.

well hey, we've found Robert Trujillo's SA account

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In the US (and other parts of the world?) there is a long history of using the same architects who design prisons to also design schools.

It’s mad that America builds schools to “weather” school shootings, but when it comes to the worst pandemic in living memory, it’s “here’s a third‐rate fan for you window that doesn’t open”.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hexwren posted:

there were two people fundraising for dare outside the sandwich shop I often hit for lunch when I'm at work. they asked if I could give anything "to help the kids"

i wanted to read them the riot act like "are you for decriminalizing possession? for abolishing mandatory minimum sentencing?"

but I was hungry and my lunch break is just long enough to get there, get the sandwich and go back, and I can't argue poo poo without coming off like a huge rear end in a top hat, so I try not to get into arguments, even when I'm right, so back to the office it was.

also dare running on donations, what the gently caress, you'd think the cops would be paying for it

My wife actually did a few weeks ago. Apparently they’ve pivoted to mental health now? (also?) Or so the guy claimed.

We didn’t believe it and even if it was true, it’s still an awful program that causes harm.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

If this pencil was designed for lefties, it would work.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The Lone Badger posted:

There's an Aardman short called Going Equipped which is about being a low level crim and it points out that jail is sleeping next to a shared toilet and the wonders that entails. I think that's been the biggest deterrent for me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hope I'm not too late for "my high school was a prison" chat. In my last year of HS, we were made to wear ID cards on lanyards, and they started building 9 foot tall metal bars around the whole place, with a little outward curve at the top to keep anyone from getting in. But mostly these measures were to keep students in. The only thing that the faculty ever talked about was kids trying to leave campus. It was the late 90's.

I also have a clear memory of watching a DARE-ish video in the sixth grade that dramatized a white boy overdosing on crack and dying. Crack, this video told me, could be addictive the first time you took it. It was called Fast Forward Future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obg7kvrLON8

After this extremely weird sequence the boy goes back in time and saves his brother from OD'ing.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 18, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

feedmegin posted:

Yeah same. Since I was too lazy to repack my bag every day I just carried all my textbooks and jotters and poo poo every day. And what with it being the early 00s it was not the done thing to actually use both straps of your backpack, so I've done myself a permemant lingering shoulder injury from being a twat in high school.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah same. Since I was too lazy to repack my bag every day I just carried all my textbooks and jotters and poo poo every day. And what with it being the early 00s it was not the done thing to actually use both straps of your backpack, so I've done myself a permemant lingering shoulder injury from being a twat in high school.

Whassup damaged-shoulder-from-one-strap-backpack-wearing buddy!
I just recently noticed that virtually all the kids in my town use both straps of their backpacks now; they are so much smarter about this than we were.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's a thing in the new 21 jump street movie with Channing Tatum and the unfunny fat guy

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Here's a photograph from an average American highschool so our overseas friends can see what we're dealing with:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Moon Monster posted:

Here's a photograph from an average American highschool so our overseas friends can see what we're dealing with:

drat! I thought I had fun in highschool, American highschools look fun as gently caress!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Ngl I want that MY ANCESTOR shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ngl I want that MY ANCESTOR shirt.

Here.