Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

New Vampire are really cool and I want some, but I also want to see what the other half of the V3 box is before spending :10bux:

GW release the Vampirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

New Vampire are really cool and I want some, but I also want to see what the other half of the V3 box is before spending :10bux:

GW release the Vampirates

Yeah I'm just holding out to see if we're getting a new faction / new models for 3.0 before I pick anything else up. There's been a lot of rumors and all of them sound awesome.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had a question about the Radukar and Friends unit: does it all count as just a single unique Leader unit? Wanted to see if I could still put guys like Kritza and Grandma Vyrkos in an army even with the handful of Radukar's friends in an army.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
A family army can be a grandma, her grandson, his friends, a shovel guy, a werewolf, three twinks, a human-dragon abomination, and at least 15 dogs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah I'm just holding out to see if we're getting a new faction / new models for 3.0 before I pick anything else up. There's been a lot of rumors and all of them sound awesome.

Swamp goblins on stilts or bust

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the dreaded Wolf Yoghurt Vargskyr that I got in an auction last week today. Colour scheme is meant to be a callback to the older Varghulf one.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Can you run Aetaos’rau’keres in aos or do you just use the model as a lord of change and adjust the base?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Can you run Aetaos’rau’keres in aos or do you just use the model as a lord of change and adjust the base?

You can he has his own statblock

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/aos_warscrolls/Downloads-AoS/aos-warscroll-Exalted-Daemon-of-Tzeentch.pdf

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I'm thinking about building an AoS army once the new edition hits, and am leaning towards Chaos Daemons. Is a mixed god army viable or do I need to choose one? I was thinking of starting by just buying one of each Start Collecting for Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mef989 posted:

I'm thinking about building an AoS army once the new edition hits, and am leaning towards Chaos Daemons. Is a mixed god army viable or do I need to choose one? I was thinking of starting by just buying one of each Start Collecting for Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle.

Mixed daemons is viable. The ruleset to do so is in the Broken Realms: Be'lakor book. Not sure if its changing for 3rd but like 40k and psychic awakening I expect those books to remain viable for some time.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deciding to go all in-in on swarming the everloving gently caress out of my enemies with an insane amount of units nonstop. What should I add to the list?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Deciding to go all in-in on swarming the everloving gently caress out of my enemies with an insane amount of units nonstop. What should I add to the list?

A few Clawlords to command the Clan Rats would be good. You could also probably fuse a few of the units in 40 mans

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Seems like GW is starting a AoS rumor engine series called Visions of Beasts. There'll be another one tomorrow.

probably related to the new Destruction faction but it looks almost Nurglish.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
That’s more than one eye! Alas fimir, you were too good to be true.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Always run clanrats in units of 40 when possible. Its a good points savings and it lets you maximize the effects of the buffs that the book provides to large units (+1 to hit with 20 models, +1 to wound with 30 models, and +2 bravery per 10 models in battleshock phase)

In my experience 20 size units of clanrats are almost useless and should only be used as battleline filler.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That looks conspicuously like the mantlet from the ancient 80's Chaos Dwarf warmachines:

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You get a point discount if you run the clanrats in blocks of 40, and you're gonna mostly use them to tarpit and hold objective while the screaming bell keeps them from running. Even with the skaven +1 hit and wound for hordes and the clawlord buffs it's gonna be am uphill battle killing tougher stuff. A block of Stormvermin is a really nice hammer for a clanrat anvil, and if you find you have an extra 100 points or so take a warp lighting vortex endless spell.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That’s too many clan rats imo (I know, I know, no such thing). Incredibly boring to paint and probably to play as well. I’d say the absolute max I’d ever want to do, is 3 x 40 clan rats, even them I’d prefer to do 40 less clan rats get 40 stormvermin instead, just for some variety if nothing else. They’re also pretty good.

Leadership I’d have clawlord, arch warlock, grey seer on bell and the verminlord, if want one of those.

Then add whatever, a couple of lightning cannons, or stormfiends, or a hell pit abomination, doom wheel (though it’s pretty mediocre atm) or maybe a couple of ratling gunners (only metal models I think though), some rat ogres, or giant rats or some such. Any of the cool units really.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Basically everyone has already said this, but you should probably consolidate to 2 or 3 blocks of 40 clanrats for the discount on points (swap one block for Stormvermin for variety and a bit more quality). That's a solid base to build from. Clanrats mostly exist to take up space and die on the enemy to let your cool units actually do things.

As Revelation also pointed out, it would also be a nightmare to paint, even with contrast paints. 80 clanrats is probably enough to drive me crazy, I wouldn't even think about doing double that number. Here's a list that takes in everyone's suggestions so far - note that I am not quite sure what's exactly GOOD in a skaven list because I fought them like once.

quote:

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- General
Clawlord (100)
Arch-Warlock (160)
Verminlord Warbringer (280)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Standard Bell Ringers
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Standard Bell Ringers
20 x Stormvermin (200)
- Halberd & Shield

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)
- 1x Warpfire Projectors
- 1x Ratling Cannons
- 1x Shock Gauntlets

Artillery
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 170

Not sure what I'd cut down if you wanted to do 1000 points, though. You might also want Grinderfists instead of Ratling Cannons if you want the Stormfriends to do some deep strike shenanigans.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 18, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

As Revelation also pointed out, it would also be a nightmare to paint, even with contrast paints. 80 clanrats is probably enough to drive me crazy, I wouldn't even think about doing double that number.

I can second that. I got 80 from Isle of Blood kits. I batch painted out 50 in a couple weeks, and that was a few years ago. I still haven't recovered from the burnout to finish the last 30.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

That looks conspicuously like the mantlet from the ancient 80's Chaos Dwarf warmachines:

Yeah it could be Knoblars since since they've been absent so far and they're pretty much what hobgoblins morphed into over the years.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah it could be Knoblars since since they've been absent so far and they're pretty much what hobgoblins morphed into over the years.

Ogors already have the Gnoblars though don't they?

Not sure how reliable the source of the Hobgoblins rumor is, but that would kinda make sense to since they were basically the servants / footsoldiers of the Chaos Dwarves.

Getting Chaos Dwarves *and* Hobgoblins in 3.0 would be pretty cool - Forgeworld did a small smattering of Chaos Dwarf sculpts that looked really good, and the Forge World bull centaurs look pretty dang close to Kragnos. Chaos dwarves would also kinda make sense as a new antagonist with the rumor that GW wants to roll all the dwarves into one big Duardin faction.

If the Hobgoblins end up being a bunch of the cool old WHFB goblin units like wolf riders / doom divers / rock lobbers, I guess I'll be starting another army lol.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

currently thinking about the amount of "wholly within" auras with SBG and whether that's going to be as big a handicap as it seems considering how top-heavy the faction seems intended to be.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ogors already have the Gnoblars though don't they?

there were boglars back in Ye Olde Fantasy (and a tribe of them were allied with Fimir)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Winklebottom posted:

there were boglars back in Ye Olde Fantasy (and a tribe of them were allied with Fimir)

Huh, that would explain the weird Nurgle-y maggot, at least.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Clanrats are just there to get in the way, take objectives, and screen for the Stormvermin and other killers. Any kill that the Clanrat unit gets is a bonus victory as I do not expect to survive for very long once they meet the enemy.

I take a unit of 20 clan rats solely to stand in front of my large group of Stormvermin. Their job is get chewed up first and they usually succeed in buying me time for my Stormvermin to charge. It's worked well but this is about the only reason I'd use a unit of 20 clanrats, otherwise like 10 Gutter Runners can go annoy and take objectives better. I even have a silly RP where its "Slypaw's Horde" where the Sergeant is always recruiting new Clanrats to his unit with fresh weapons and armor, and the rats are not smart enough about why he is always coming back with the same weapons and armor and less rats.

Get 2 or 3 big blocks of Clanrats, a good block of Stormvermin, and then spend the rest of your points on leaders and tool of destruction.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

moths posted:

That Juggernaut must have weighed a drat ton (especially with the tower extending indefinitely).

Looking at the mechanisms for the Tenderizer and Whirlwind, were they just for show or would the machines actually move, I wonder?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Winklebottom posted:

I wouldn't take anything from the Gnoblar Horde army list as anything close to 'canon'. That was essentially a Citadel Journal article that somehow got published in White Dwarf.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That Juggernaut must have weighed a drat ton (especially with the tower extending indefinitely).

Looking at the mechanisms for the Tenderizer and Whirlwind, were they just for show or would the machines actually move, I wonder?

And it would have been cast in lead to boot.

Yeah, they worked as long as you didn't gently caress something up by gluing it or making a connection too loose.

...get off my lawn (gently caress, these last few posts are making me feel old)...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I wouldn't take anything from the Gnoblar Horde army list as anything close to 'canon'. That was essentially a Citadel Journal article that somehow got published in White Dwarf.

True, but I feel like it might not be far off from what the new army could be.

I liked all the weird little fanmade subspecies that popped up in WD once in a while, though. Like the fire kobolds or dust goblins:

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 18, 2021

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Robert Facepalmer posted:

And it would have been cast in lead to boot.

Yeah, they worked as long as you didn't gently caress something up by gluing it or making a connection too loose.

...get off my lawn (gently caress, these last few posts are making me feel old)...

That's amazing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Ferret posted:

Clanrats are just there to get in the way, take objectives, and screen for the Stormvermin and other killers. Any kill that the Clanrat unit gets is a bonus victory as I do not expect to survive for very long once they meet the enemy.

I take a unit of 20 clan rats solely to stand in front of my large group of Stormvermin. Their job is get chewed up first and they usually succeed in buying me time for my Stormvermin to charge. It's worked well but this is about the only reason I'd use a unit of 20 clanrats, otherwise like 10 Gutter Runners can go annoy and take objectives better. I even have a silly RP where its "Slypaw's Horde" where the Sergeant is always recruiting new Clanrats to his unit with fresh weapons and armor, and the rats are not smart enough about why he is always coming back with the same weapons and armor and less rats.

Get 2 or 3 big blocks of Clanrats, a good block of Stormvermin, and then spend the rest of your points on leaders and tool of destruction.

I have 60 CR already. I'm thinking of just buying one more 20-pack and then having 2 big blocks of 80 CR.

quote:

Arch-Warlock (160)
Clawlord (100)
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)- General
40 x Clanrats (200)- Rusty Spear- 1 x Standard Bearers- 1 x Standard Bell Ringers
40 x Clanrats (200)- Rusty Spear- 1 x Standard Bearers- 1 x Standard Bell Ringers
3 x Stormfiends (260)- 1 x Warpfire Projectors- 1 x Ratling Cannons- 1 x Doomflayer Gauntlets
20 x Stormvermin (200)- Halberd & Shield
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Vermintide (40)

So that's two massive blocks of clanrats to harass people with and swarm and annoy them with.. 20x stormfiends to go for objectives and harm people. Stormfiends for mobility and killing, double ratling guns for a very painful shooting phase, a warp lighting cannon because I plan to overcharge it and risk exploding every single turn, and Vermintide because it seems like a really nasty spell.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Chaos dwarves would also kinda make sense as a new antagonist with the rumor that GW wants to roll all the dwarves into one big Duardin faction.

You ground dwelling Duardin can stay there on the ground, we Kharadron will be up here in the bright blue, aether-gold laden sky, playing the floor is lava forever, firing our guns eternal.

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:
:blaster: :blaster: :blaster: :blaster:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Hmm. I can run that exact list with what I have. I've been trying to figure out if I want to make them into an AoS army or retro-fy them as a foil for my buddy's 6th ed Lizardmen. AoS is very tempting, but the classic matchup of lizards vs. rats is almost too iconic to pass up.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

irt the rumour engine: I don't want to say its goblins, but its goblins.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The plot thickens

...swamp pirate goblins?

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
What are the odds of cities going away and the human/aelve/duradin factions all getting their own factions or getting folded into existing factions? A duradin super faction would be great.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If that's a Doom Diver hook this is going to be an expensive launch for me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There was some goblin sky pirates mentioned in lore a while ago.

One can only dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GIRL BRAINS posted:

What are the odds of cities going away and the human/aelve/duradin factions all getting their own factions or getting folded into existing factions? A duradin super faction would be great.

I think I saw a "leak" somewhere saying a duardin superfaction is coming and CoS becoming more of a humans-only army with new kits, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The return of Grungni/Grombrindal does seem to point to duardin getting something at some point, even if it's only a hero/leader that can be used with KO/FS/CoS.