Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I have one and it owns. Playing Dreamcast games with a ds4 is my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes I loved mine. Key word loved because it stopped working randomly one day. I think it's cuz I need a xbox controller to pair to it then to my joystick.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Looks like Sega is looking at reviving some dormant IP?

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/202103_4q_presentation_20210513_e.pdf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean they already started with Panzer Dragoon and Streets of Rage.

Motherfucking Laffo Altered Beast is on that list. Nobody likes that game, Sega

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
No Golden Axe? :(

mewse
May 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

It doesn't really matter how bad the game was - they're just leveraging the name recognition to try and sell some crap. It was the bundled game for the genesis/megadrive in NA and Europe so lots of people have heard of it and will take a cursory glance at a remake

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

my kid really liked the Sonic movie, they should try making Sonic games again

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Barudak posted:

The wrongest opinion. Had I not played it at Shopko randomly on an arcade cabinet and then repeatedly the day the Genesis came out, perhaps I'd have a different opinion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Barudak posted:

Somewhere, a single lonely tear rolls down Matthew Sweet's cheek.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

my kid really liked the Sonic movie, they should try making Sonic games again

We're apparently getting a new one next year. No, not by the people who made the last unambiguously good one, by the people who haven't made a good one since the Wii existed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone have any real answer for why SEGA is allergic to continuing Mania as a side-series/spin-off? They can't be particularly expensive to produce and by all accounts the first one was a success, so WHY!?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Does anyone have any real answer for why SEGA is allergic to continuing Mania as a side-series/spin-off? They can't be particularly expensive to produce and by all accounts the first one was a success, so WHY!?

Based on my experience with companies: it was not developed in house.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mind the walrus posted:

Near as I can tell Sega(specifically the Japanese branch) doesn't actually like Sonic very much as it's always been a franchise that has done much better outside of Japan than at home, and that international success has brought them a lot of headaches over the years

Essentially Sonic succeeds in spite of being owned by Sega, not because of it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

mewse posted:

It doesn't really matter how bad the game was - they're just leveraging the name recognition to try and sell some crap. It was the bundled game for the genesis/megadrive in NA and Europe so lots of people have heard of it and will take a cursory glance at a remake

I wonder what they'd even do with it. Some other Sega properties like Wonder Boy got pretty decent remakes in the past few years, but the most memorable thing about Altered Beast was its voice samples, which on one hand are iconic but on the other hand are not as impressive a selling point as they were in 1988.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i struggle to think of a worse pack-in than altered beast. even keith courage was better.

also make a new jet set radio you fucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i struggle to think of a worse pack-in than altered beast. even keith courage was better.

I went through the list of pack-in games on Wikipedia and yeah, Altered Beast is worse than Garfield: Caught in the Act and Vid Grid.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

VF is already making a comeback, so let's see a new house of the dead

falz
Jan 29, 2005

For everyone making GBS threads on Altered Beast, did you play it back in the day when it was a pack in, or many years after?

Imo it was a technical marvel at the time, 1989. Felt like real arcade poo poo exactly as the genesis promised.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good soup! posted:

VF is already making a comeback, so let's see a new house of the dead

hopefully that gets announced or released soon, I don't remember anything being official yet.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

altered beast sucked even in the early '90s, and yes dear god give us a new JSR

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Early 90s it was years old, especially if you're talking after sonic came out. I'm talking release year, 1989 + 6-9monrhs.

Fwiw I'm fairly sure I was the first kid in my area (metro region of ~500k at the time) with a Genesis.

There were no console release dates at the time, I called Toys R Us every day for months asking if they came in. One day they said yes, I went in and they got one off the truck / unpacked it for me.

It was glorious.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

harperdc posted:

altered beast sucked even in the early '90s

Right, but again, it didn't come out in the 90's. Arcade 1988, Genesis 1989. The good stuff wasn't out yet.

It really wasn't a great game, arguably not even a good game, but it had a cool concept. In some ways, that makes it a better candidate for a reimagining than something that was actually done well back in the day. But I also don't think they'd put the effort in to actually make a good game of it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really enjoyed Altered Beast when it came out and still do. At one point in time it was cool to transform into different monsters and that transformation screen was badass. And as mentioned, it was pretty close in appearance compared to the arcade game when at the time it was rare/previously impossible to achieve that unless you are talking about something more simple like Donkey Kong and Pac Man.

I agree the game doesn't necessarily hold up now, but given the context it was impressive at the time.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Altered Beast except it's an actual brawler instead of an autoscrolling platformer/brawler

Fixed your franchise, gimme money sega

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I'd play that. Someone should do a Genesis streets of rage 2 sprite swap for it or something.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Altered Beast except it's an actual brawler instead of an autoscrolling platformer/brawler

Fixed your franchise, gimme money sega

Golden Axe IV with the altered beast guy as a playable character. Each level he gets a different transformation.

Revenge of Death Adder included as a bonus

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Would love to see Golden Axe and/or Altered Beast get the Streets of Rage 4 treatment. I'd also be down for a new 2D Shinobi, there's a lot of modern retro games doing pretty well that play pretty much the same.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

katkillad2 posted:

Would love to see Golden Axe and/or Altered Beast get the Streets of Rage 4 treatment. I'd also be down for a new 2D Shinobi, there's a lot of modern retro games doing pretty well that play pretty much the same.

poo poo, I'd love to see a Golden Axe in the vein of the D&D arcade games, what with their multiple branching paths that eventually meet up and re-branch again. Maybe even keep the ring menu from that and make it work with the GA formula.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's basically Revenge of Death Adder, which came out before the D&D games

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Does anyone who got Phantasy Star II when it was new remember if the hint book thing actually came in (or with) the box or if that was a separate thing. I managed to snag 1, 3, and 4 CIB years ago at this point but never got around to getting 2, and now that I've got my tax return I want to make bad financial decisions, but can't find a definitive answer about what CIB for 2 looks like.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lethrom posted:

Does anyone who got Phantasy Star II when it was new remember if the hint book thing actually came in (or with) the box or if that was a separate thing. I managed to snag 1, 3, and 4 CIB years ago at this point but never got around to getting 2, and now that I've got my tax return I want to make bad financial decisions, but can't find a definitive answer about what CIB for 2 looks like.

What I don't know is if that map was included in all copies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Also, what in the loving gently caress. An "acceptable" PSII just sold for 190 American dollars. It didn't even include the hint guide or the instruction manual, though it did include the map. What the gently caress is wrong with all these people? They are making my life of collecting old Sega poo poo miserable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Saoshyant posted:

Also, what in the loving gently caress. An "acceptable" PSII just sold for 190 American dollars. It didn't even include the hint guide or the instruction manual, though it did include the map. What the gently caress is wrong with all these people? They are making my life of collecting old Sega poo poo miserable.

They're you with a better job and/or no kids?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
More money = better than

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

What I don't know is if that map was included in all copies.

Thanks so much!

Though, now I know that I need to cough up for the fuckin' hint book and spend more dollars :negative:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Lethrom posted:

It came with it, and subsequently ruined everyone's experience because of it.

Perhaps this is also the earliest Sega hint book, not including 1800-USA-SEGA notes?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I had an ex-rental copy that came with the manual and world map but no hintbook. Having played without it, I can see why they felt the need to include it.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The hint book was outside the box, both wrapped in shrinkwrap.

That game was pretty much unplayable without it. Once I lost my hint book I was utterly unable to progress.

Those dungeons are a nightmare even with maps.

It’s honestly a bad game, the first Phantasy Star is much better and the Switch Sega Ages port is one of the best updates I’ve ever played.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

buck rogers countdown to doomsday is the superior genesis scifi rpg

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, I love the classic Phantasy Star series, it's a shame only games 1 and 4 were actually good games. Yes, I know 3 had some interesting stuff going on, that doesn't mean I want to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PSIII is super underrated, but I can understand why people don't like it. I'd love to see a romhack that has a complete graphical overhaul to bring the art style closer to the other PS games, and maybe retranslates the script to be less stodgy and more in line with PS4's more fun and natural sounding translation.