Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Vader interrogates Leia not with a beneedle’d orb, but plays out pretty much exactly like this:

https://youtu.be/DKFzYUe5_p4

Nah, it's 100% the Orgasmo-Organ scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

galagazombie posted:

I've always thought a cool superpower to have would be the ability to pull out media items from other universes. Like not just a copy of Grindhouse Flop ANH, but fanzine articles and forum posts about Grindhouse Flop ANH. Hell it would be equally fascinating to read them from a universe where ANH is the same movie as ours but flopped for whatever want-of-a-nail reason. See all the listacle articles where they mock this weird 70's Dune ripoff where a samurai lops off a Walrus' arm.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Lost in Space is an American science fiction entertainment franchise.

The original Lost in Space is an American television series, created by Irwin Allen, which debuted in 1965 and ran for three seasons, following the interstellar adventures of Dr. John Robinson and the crew of the Jupiter 2. Following the release of other series in the franchise, the Robinson-headed series was retroactively referred to as "Lost in Space: The Original Series". These adventures were continued by the short-lived Lost in Space: The Animated Series and six feature films. Four more television series were eventually produced, based in the same universe but following other characters: Lost in Space: The Subsequent Generation, following the crew of the Jupiter 2D set a century after the original series; Lost in Space: Bottomless Emptiness Nine and Lost in Space: Traveler, set contemporaneously with The Subsequent Generation; and Lost in Space: Jupiter, set before the original series, in the early days of human interstellar travel. Four additional feature films were produced, following the crew of The Subsequent Generation, and most recently a 2009 movie reboot of the franchise featuring a young crew of the original Jupiter 2 set in an alternate time line.

The franchise also includes dozens of computer and video games, hundreds of novels, as well as a themed attraction in Las Vegas (closed in September 2008). Beginning with the original television series and continuing with the subsequent films and series, the franchise has created a cult phenomenon and has spawned many pop culture references.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m the alternate universe where Star Wars is an R-rated sci-fi grindhouse flop from the 70’s, fondly remembered by a handful of cinephile nerds.

So basically the one where it looks like the storyboards:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Yes. Release the A-Ha cut.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Reminds me of hamill's story about him and carrie seeing the original, score-less trailer and being like oh poo poo what have we done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHk5kCIiGoM

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Robot Style posted:

Vacuum Vader is going to suck you up

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

The United States posted:

Vacuum Vader is going to suck you up

When u nut but vacuum vader keep succin

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

extremely here for C-3PO, mechagimp.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Robot Style posted:

Finally a good star wars comic

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blood Boils posted:

Finally a good star wars comic

https://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-1-6/

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

#ReleasetheRobotFightClubCut

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

#ReleasetheRobotFightClubCut

My favorite giallo, Star Wars:

Furthermore:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like how Luke's family live in a spacious ranch house and he owns a jet

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzr7AgQ7wM

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t watch the entire thing but you can tell why they cut them

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Didn’t watch the entire thing but you can tell why they cut them

Yeah I was actually excited when I saw it was a 4 hour cut because I had no idea that much salvageable/useful footage was floating around for a fan edit but apparently the rest of that extra time besides the scenes in that clip is segments from the Clone Wars series inserted into the movie so it seems kind of pointless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Jedi in the Clone Wars have a very Knights of the Round Table vibe to them; their own heroics, arcs and themes rather dramatically overhung by the inevitable tragedy looming. Which I imagine is exactly the intent.

I do get the vibe that Mace Windu is meant to be exactly as violent as a Jedi can be and remain stable, especially since supposedly every apprentice he taught his signature style to turned dark.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like how Luke's family live in a spacious ranch house and he owns a jet

land is cheap on desert planet

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Jedi in the Clone Wars have a very Knights of the Round Table vibe to them; their own heroics, arcs and themes rather dramatically overhung by the inevitable tragedy looming. Which I imagine is exactly the intent.

I do get the vibe that Mace Windu is meant to be exactly as violent as a Jedi can be and remain stable, especially since supposedly every apprentice he taught his signature style to turned dark.

This was a thing that i remember from the visual dictionaries they put out: his form is noted for being very aggressive and veering towards the dark side. I have no idea why i remember something as useless as this, but here i am.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Recently I've been getting back into reading some of my old legends books that i haven't read since high school (mostly the X-Wing series at the moment) and while i know there is basically no chance in hell that Disney will just wholesale use the plot from these books written back in the mid 90s for the Rogue Squadron movie being made i almost wish they would. They still hold up pretty well even today!

I took a cursory glance at Wookiepedia since i remembered at some point in the book series it jumped ahead a bunch in the timeline and i just :psyduck:'ed at how much Legends stuff there really was. I thought i read a ton of these things as a kid but it turns out i was very wrong. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE

A shame it seems my collection basically ended with these xwing books though since it seems like the stuff they have already brought back is from around the time i would have been reading these books and playing all the videogames with the Star Wars logo on it. New Jedi Order is when they killed Chewie off right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was mocking a buddhist libertarian crypto dork and realised that the Dark Side is hilarious because of the Rule of Two meaning there's literally only two real openings for the Sith as an institution and so you have pretty much every fallen Jedi or self-taught dark sider having to vie for power as secret backup apprentices or try to off one or both of the big names all the goddamn time like a bunch of teenagers vying for Prom Queen with laser swords.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Star Wars has always had a wonky approach to scale. You’d think a galaxy-sized setting could accommodate more than two bad guys running around at the same time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's no Rule of Two. It makes no sense whatsoever. Yoda says "Always two there are," meaning that there's never just one. It's a comic book thing. There are three Sith in the movies and two more in the animated series, who were all alive at the same time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheLoquid posted:

Star Wars has always had a wonky approach to scale. You’d think a galaxy-sized setting could accommodate more than two bad guys running around at the same time.

The point, though, is that Sith ambitions are such in that it can't. The galaxy isn't big enough for more than the both of them, and barely enough for that.

I feel people miss the point that Sith apprenticeship is in every meaningful fashion a chain of abuse, that Anakin breaks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no Rule of Two. It makes no sense whatsoever. Yoda says "Always two there are," meaning that there's never just one. It's a comic book thing. There are three Sith in the movies and two more in the animated series, who were all alive at the same time.

Only two were ever on screen at the same time though

Sidious and Maul (I)
Sidious and Dooku (II, III)
Sidious and Darth Vader (III, V, VI)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The point, though, is that Sith ambitions are such in that it can't. The galaxy isn't big enough for more than the both of them, and barely enough for that.

I feel people miss the point that Sith apprenticeship is in every meaningful fashion a chain of abuse, that Anakin breaks.

It's more a chain of patricide that he and Luke absolutely perpetuate

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Only two were ever on screen at the same time though

Sidious and Maul (I)
Sidious and Dooku (II, III)
Sidious and Darth Vader (III, V, VI)

There's definitely some overlap, at least with Sheev grooming his next apprentice while the current one was still around. Dooku should already be recruiting Jango for the clone army when Episode I happens, and Anakin was under Palpatine's wing for years before they made it official. And it's not like Vader and Sidious were subtle about both being after Luke for their own reasons.
And then you've got weird stuff like Mas Amedda calling Sidious "Master" in Episode III, and at least some of Tyranus' teachings filtering down to Grievous.
If you count the Canon animated shows, Dooku's also got Ventress and Savage under his command, plus Maul still crawling around until just before A New Hope.
And that doesn't even begin to go into what's supposed to be happening on Exegol, which has an entire civilization of Sith just hanging out for decades.

Lucas did actually create Darth Bane and the Rule of Two while developing Episode I, so it's not strictly an EU thing. But I guess with sequels, the new rationale isn't that only two Sith can exist at the same time without destroying each other, but that one Sith has been alive for a thousand years, and using the concept of "the rule of two" to keep his apprentices in the dark about what'll happen to them when they try to kill him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's worth noting the Rule of Two in the movies is stated by the Jedi. As far as they've observed, there are always only the two Sith, the master and apprentice. They don't quite know why, or how, and they may not even be 100% correct. It's more like a theory, it fits all the facts that they have observed.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I always took the "always two there are" more as a thematic restatement than something literal. It ties back into the "there's always a bigger fish" and the symbiosis of Gungans and Naboo

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I always assumed that "always two there are" was just a figure of speech. Basically, there is never just one. You see one, there's more in the walls, hiding... somewhere. I never thought the Jedi really knew much about the Sith, and seemed pretty confused when rumors began that they came back suddenly. Presumably, Yoda was also the only Jedi living when Sith were a problem before so he'd be the only one with half a clue as to how it works.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Doronin posted:

I always assumed that "always two there are" was just a figure of speech. Basically, there is never just one. You see one, there's more in the walls, hiding... somewhere. I never thought the Jedi really knew much about the Sith, and seemed pretty confused when rumors began that they came back suddenly. Presumably, Yoda was also the only Jedi living when Sith were a problem before so he'd be the only one with half a clue as to how it works.

This makes far more sense but the line in the movie is, "Always two there are. No more, no less."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Skrill.exe posted:

This makes far more sense but the line in the movie is, "Always two there are. No more, no less."

poo poo, I forgot he added that little qualifier. But *~from a certain point of view*~ you see

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's not 'just' a figure of speech, but it's similar to concepts like "the dark side" and "the chosen one", where individual characters interpret them in different ways. Like, everyone thinks Dooku is a Sith, but he percieves himself as a Jedi. So are there one or two Sith at that point?

What's clear in the films is that the "rule of two" is really just the rule of one: the Sith are led by a Sith Master who has his own unique plan for how things will be run, up 'til the point that he dies. At this point, a new Master takes over to implement an altogether different strategy. So the question "which did we destroy?" is basically asking "did killing Maul put a halt to this particular evil plan, or can we expect more poo poo?"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

This was a thing that i remember from the visual dictionaries they put out: his form is noted for being very aggressive and veering towards the dark side. I have no idea why i remember something as useless as this, but here i am.

I know it because it pops up in a lot of Internet who can beat who arguments. Basically, he absorbs the Dark Side from people and then it kind of powers him up where he goes above his weight class, but he's one of the few that wouldn't just overload and go full Dark Side. I think his Form was Vaapad or something. That's how the "Sidious/Anakin/Yoda are the most powerful but Mace is exceptionally a bad match for Sidious" is resolved for the numbers and figures side of the series.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know I'm going to regret asking, but is there some Canon answer on whether Palpatine was deformed by his own lightning powers or if Windu just made him drop an illusion that had been there the whole time, or whatever the debate was?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but is there some Canon answer on whether Palpatine was deformed by his own lightning powers or if Windu just made him drop an illusion that had been there the whole time, or whatever the debate was?

Never said in current canon that he was doing anything more than metaphorically hiding himself, so best to Occam's Razor and say he was trying his hardest to overcome Windu and Windu kept bouncing it back so he got disfigured, while he was just screwing around with Luke and not putting as much oomph into it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

I always took the "always two there are" more as a thematic restatement than something literal. It ties back into the "there's always a bigger fish" and the symbiosis of Gungans and Naboo

Yeah, basically:

George Lucas posted:

One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith Lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the dark side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually, there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, become the master, and so on. But there could never be any more than two of them, because if there were, they would try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Canon doesn’t exist. What do you think happened ?

I think he deformed himself on purpose

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think Sheev accidentally started to use Light Side Force Lightning, or Electric Judgement, which we all know that someone with too many dark side points can't use without degrading their physical form. With more careful speccing once he was Emperor he made sure to not make that mistake again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like his head has more mass & volume post-lightning, so objective analysis points to dispelled illusion.