Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

quote:

I am not including Pompompurin’s comments to me about this all, other than to note that it was not complimentary towards Troia’s cybersecurity skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

In the article:

quote:

I am not including Pompompurin’s comments to me about this all, other than to note that it was not complimentary towards Troia’s cybersecurity skills.

EDIT: Scooped, darn it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
UK (England and Wales?) people :britain:

the 'care.data' medical data grab is back, and it needs a new opt-out form ("Type 1")
the previous opt out you may have completed - "Type 2" / "National Data Opt Out" - won't count

the official form (give it to your GP practice):
https://digital.nhs.uk/binaries/con...t-out-form.docx

more info:
https://caredata2.nhsdatasharing.info/
https://medconfidential.org/for-patients/gp-2021/

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

meanwhile nhs scotland switched all the email domains to nhs . scot a few months ago

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

this is no true .scot, man

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ewiley posted:

Cool, cool, just pretend that infosec has no role in ICS security, just go on with your lives. Just absolve yourselves because "the government doesnt do enough" and you can't possibly do anything. It's fine, just have a bath and dont' worry about it.

jokes on you I’m bad computers actually

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/125163367/cyber-security-incident-creates-full-it-outage-at-waikato-dhb-hospitals

Oh yay.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

:golfclap:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

lol

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://grahamcluley.com/cyberinsurance-giant-axa-hit-by-ransomware-attack-after-saying-it-would-stop-covering-ransom-payments/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lomarf

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/553891-our-cybersecurity-industry-best-practices-keep-allowing-breaches
Our cybersecurity 'industry best practices' keep allowing breaches

quote:

What can businesses and industries do right now?

Implement a "one strike and you are out" hiring policy for information security employees. When they fail, do not let it happen twice.

Also, never hire an information security employee who has ever worked for a firm that has had a security incident. Their "industry best practices" did not work for the previous employer, why would they work better for the next victim? These former employees bring disaster.

As far as "industry best practices," try going against the grain. Return to the practices that were in place before ransomware, breaches and other information security disasters became commonplace.

Embrace "holistic" approaches to information security.

Instead of impressively credentialed, paper-savvy information security professionals, hire competent technically skilled professionals. Encourage collaboration with other technically skilled professionals and give them the tools and access to protect your firm's cyber resources.

Grant network engineers administrative access to the server cluster. Grant developers access such that network or workstation anomalies can be fully investigated.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

woof

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao is that the onion?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lmao is that the onion?

quote:

Allen Gwinn is a professor of Practice in Information Technology at the Cox School of Business at SMU Dallas. He has well over four decades of experience with systems, networks, data and other cyber resources.

SMU Dallas? probably

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nice troll post, "Allen Gwinn, opinion contributor"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hmm yes, an "IT professor" in the business department with no tweets older than 2 months

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
meta as all hell

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

idiot profossor who should have stuck to teaching posted:

I have obviously heard the feedback on my article in The Hill. I know there are some who are deeply offended by my broad-based characterization of the Information Security industry. I will also cede that I know many engineers in the field who I respect deeply.

I will also tell you right now that I regret how I worded the sentence: "never hire an information security employee who has ever worked for a firm that has had a security incident." I recognize that people get blamed for other people's mistakes and those are not who I was intending to target with my comment.

I do stand by my bottom-line that the security industry needs a real renaissance--and I have heard from many who agree.

I apologize profusely to those of you who I offended.

I, on the other hand, should never write another editorial :) If I do, would someone please hack in, empty my bank account and forward the proceeds to the "Buy Everyone a Beer" foundation?

I guess he didn't think he would get so exposed.

https://imgur.com/7WeHgZn

Also LMAO

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 19, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
really rolling with the punches there. does smu dallas have a class on that too?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's like the "our soldiers are losing in the middle east because there are too many stupid rules against warcrimes and they aren't allowed to shoot terrorists anymore" talking point but for cybersecurity, lmao.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mystes posted:

It's like the "our soldiers are losing in the middle east because there are too many stupid rules against warcrimes and they aren't allowed to shoot terrorists anymore" talking point but for cybersecurity, lmao.

except its more like "there are too many rules against shooting ourselves, we need to go back to the days when Kevin Mitnick could just walk into a data center unchallenged"

we have rules in war for moral reasons, we have rules in IT because *not following them breaks poo poo*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“never hire a security professional who has been through a breach” is some poo poo you say when you’ve never had the ceo of the company asking you to do some sketchy bullshit because they can’t be bothered to take even a second to care

mystes
May 31, 2006

OTOH, never hire a CEO who's been in charge of a company during a breach.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

threatening to fire employees for secfucks just means secfucks will never be reported or fixed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im sorry that me calling you a little piss bitch caused you to be offended, u little piss bitch

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I did my CS bachelor's and a security engineering masters at SMU's engineering school. The IT degree under the business school was a perpetual joke. It basically prepared you to be a consultant who could fix company's buggy VB scripts

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Unless someone hosed with the SMU website, he's real or someone has done a fair amount of work to impersonate him just to write a stupid article in his name.

https://www.smu.edu/cox/our-people-and-community/faculty/Allen-Gwinn

Thankfully it looks like he's qualified for a backup career as a scuba instructor since it doesn't seem his IT career is so hot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Unless someone hosed with the SMU website, he's real or someone has done a fair amount of work to impersonate him just to write a stupid article in his name.

He has been on twitter defending his opinions in the way you would expect someone who is overly confident in his obsolete abilities. Supposedly he barely teaches IT (much less infosec) and is mostly credited for dealing with library IT stuff.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 19, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

He also runs a web 1.0 blog with what I'm sure is a lovely template but I don't do webdev at all so I can't say for sure. Is linking it considered doxxing?

I'm truly fascinated with the level of smug this guy is and the complete lack of demonstrated ability.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

He also runs a web 1.0 blog with what I'm sure is a lovely template but I don't do webdev at all so I can't say for sure. Is linking it considered doxxing?

I'm truly fascinated with the level of smug this guy is and the complete lack of demonstrated ability.

I mean, you have already linked his name, email address, and phone number. Why slow down now. :hmmyes:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don't think a professional website could be considered out of bounds. If I'm wrong, some mod please delete that.

He's right though, start firing doctors and nurses for every patient that dies. Clearly I was a great nurse since none of the patients actually died on the floor with me, totally ignore the fact that almost never worked in the ICU.

poo poo wait I was in the same hospital.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Implement a "one strike and you are out" hiring policy for information security employees. When they fail, do not let it happen twice.

Also, never hire an information security employee who has ever worked for a firm that has had a security incident. Their "industry best practices" did not work for the previous employer, why would they work better for the next victim? These former employees bring disaster.

lmao, never use any soldiers with experience, you must only use untested fresh recruits or those who got lucky

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
:thunk: I wonder if the oil and gas industry is scared about regulation and paying for editorials like this

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Kesper North posted:

:thunk: I wonder if the oil and gas industry is scared about regulation and paying for editorials like this

isn't that basically how "professors" get their real money

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.smu.edu/cox/our-people-and-community/faculty/Allen-Gwinn

Thankfully it looks like he's qualified for a backup career as a scuba instructor since it doesn't seem his IT career is so hot.

nobody would hire him because he worked at a place that had a sex abuse scandal

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm very much new at this but I took a very quick peek at the server he's running his personal blog on and at least one service he's running might have a (seemingly minor) CVE from 2011 so lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that sounds dangerously close to touching the poop, which you should not under any circumstances do

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh no that's it for me. I wouldn't even know how to, plus that'd be a dick move just because he wrote a dumb article. I just wanted to see if he patched his own stuff, which seems to be a fat no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
He's waiting for his network engineer to patch his blog holistically