Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is sleeping the best thing ever?
Yes
No
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Two nights ago and last night I slept for almost 4 hours straight. I woke up like 5 times in those 4 hours which is nothing. I wake up a lot but only check the clock when I get frustrated. Last night I fell asleep at 12am and checked the clock when it was 4 something.

Amazing. I have no idea what's going on.

I'm having Sleepytime Tea right now. :3:

I love that bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
glad that the "sleepytime" tea makes sure to inform you that it is caffeine free lol

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Two nights ago and last night I slept for almost 4 hours straight. I woke up like 5 times in those 4 hours which is nothing. I wake up a lot but only check the clock when I get frustrated. Last night I fell asleep at 12am and checked the clock when it was 4 something.

Amazing. I have no idea what's going on.

I'm having Sleepytime Tea right now. :3:

I love that bear.

that bear is high af

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
bro get the Sleepytime Extra that has Valerian Root in it

sleep so good youre almost dead

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

bro get the Sleepytime Extra that has Valerian Root in it

sleep so good youre almost dead

Oh I've had that before. I'll look for it again. I have one more cup of tea left (I use 2-3 bags each time for a 16oz mug) so I'll get that soon.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh I've had that before. I'll look for it again. I have one more cup of tea left (I use 2-3 bags each time for a 16oz mug) so I'll get that soon.

Pennywise ain’t about the tug lyfe he is a bag Lyfe

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

Post your sleep specs like you’re e-peen posting about your RGB computer rig; I’ll start:

- Purple 3 queen mattress
- Nest easy breather pillow
- Queen down alternative comforter
- Purple bamboo sheets
- Purple sleep mask
- Muji diffuser
- Melatonin 10mgx2, or hydroxyzine 10mg.

Min/max sleeper right here:
- Box spring & mattress combo (on the floor cuz the frame broke from fuckin')
- pillow from I dunno.
- sheets from not sure
- down comforter.
- Fuzzy blanket on top of that to trap all the pet hair and keep the down comforter clean.
- white noise machine (an essential for falling back asleep when I get woken up in the early morning)

In the winter time I just pile on blankets and it sends me to zzz-town in nothing flat. I suppose a weighted blanket upgrade might do the trick also but that's like the water-cooled PC of the sleeping world I reckon.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/ngsbiopark/status/1394828428738658304

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Sleep is one of those things I wish I didn’t need to do, or could do forever.

It’s the switching back and forth that pisses me off

Sleeping feels absolutely amazing, so just imagine dying. 😍😋

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

zedprime posted:

I was really good at lucid dreaming for a while but I never really reached a balance of doing cool things vs waking up immediately so I've stopped and just let my subconscious direct my dreams like God intended.

I'm trying to get into this lately. I've tried a lot of the suggestions I read online, but I still haven't been able to do it. Any advice?
I think my problem is I have trouble remembering my dreams when I wake up. I don't remember my dreams every night even after immediately waking.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Any excuse not to live is awesome.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

What's the secret to a good nap? I feel like I either sleep too long and wake up groggy, or not enough and still feel exhausted.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i had a dream last night where i was basicaly solid snaking in a grocery store except it was to steal nitrous

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
sleepytime is the poo poo. two bags every night at 10pm tyvm

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also, my cervical orthopedic pillow I got a month and a bit ago is changing my life, my neck pain is going away slowly day by day. thank goodness.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

What's the secret to a good nap? I feel like I either sleep too long and wake up groggy, or not enough and still feel exhausted.

25 minutes from the time you get in bed no more no less. Laying there with your eyes closed counts as 'a nap'

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

A Fancy Hat posted:

Same. Naps have never worked for me.

The Walrus posted:

25 minutes from the time you get in bed no more no less. Laying there with your eyes closed counts as 'a nap'

Really? I thought you had to be officially asleep for it to count

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I have recurring nightmares about being naked in places where I shouldn't be naked.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
It's a close second to "waking up thinking you have to work, but realizing you don't work today"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meatball posted:

It's a close second to "waking up thinking you have to work, but realizing you don't work today"

Its real bad when you dream you're at work and then you wake up and actually have to go

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its real bad when you dream you're at work and then you wake up and actually have to go

This has loving happened to me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I don't think I've once in my life dreamt about work

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I had a really bad stretch at work where I was having nightmares about work, then going to work and having a day even worse than my nightmare. It was like I never left the place and I had to change my sleep routine up to break that cycle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schlong Connery posted:

I'm trying to get into this lately. I've tried a lot of the suggestions I read online, but I still haven't been able to do it. Any advice?
I think my problem is I have trouble remembering my dreams when I wake up. I don't remember my dreams every night even after immediately waking.
Everything is just a bunch of habits you need to automatically take over.

Starting with dream recall you need to get real used to waking up and trying to remember everything you were just dreaming about. Most people who don't naturally do this get started with a journal which ensures you comprehend and record everything but even just being conscious that you want to do that can make a difference. If you don't work on recall first you might already be lucid but not remembering it.

Totems or whatever are the super easy part in 2021. Everyone has a smartphone, almost no one can dream consistent text therefore if your cellphone stops making sense you're in a dream. Soft indications work too, like that other person if you've really committed to yourself that it makes no sense to be back in school, school dreams are an easy out to lucid land.

The hard part is reigning it in and fueling the dream to actually do things. There's a fine line between the whole thing breaking down immediately and you waking up and getting to do the weird dream junk you want to. The dream breaking down isn't horrible, since it tends to mean you wake up and waking up means you get to try remembering it. But you can't really force it to keep going which is the part I got fed up with and gave up.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

Really? I thought you had to be officially asleep for it to count

It's better than walking around doing stuff, it rests you. And if you know that and give yourself a 25 minute limit, you usually find yourself drifting off anyway cause you're just chillin. and if you go more than 25 mins of sleep you get groggy its gotta be a quick dip

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

The Walrus posted:

It's better than walking around doing stuff, it rests you. And if you know that and give yourself a 25 minute limit, you usually find yourself drifting off anyway cause you're just chillin. and if you go more than 25 mins of sleep you get groggy its gotta be a quick dip

AKA, the disco nap.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Armitag3 posted:

I have recurring nightmares about being naked in places where I shouldn't be naked.

same, but tuggin.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

I gotchu fam.
1. set a timer on your phone for 15~30mins.
2. add a few minutes depending on how long you think it takes you to fall asleep.
3. lay there and try to pass out
4. turn on a white noise machine.
5. enter zzz-town.
6. get blasted by that alarm and jolt awake
7. hit snooze/restart the timer.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6A4JX44fsc

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
For whatever reason I just can't sleep more than 6-7 hours unless I do something exhausting the day before. I get so restless!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Lol for those not at an age where you want to sleep more often than you want to gently caress.

Sex is overrated, especially with women.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
The only part of sleeping that doesn’t rule is the waking up

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The Walrus posted:

also, my cervical orthopedic pillow I got a month and a bit ago is changing my life, my neck pain is going away slowly day by day. thank goodness.

i didnt like mine because i needed it to be higher up, i side sleep and have a pretty thick memory foam pillow so my neck stays nice and straight, seems to be helping. also ergonomics at work especially around the shoulders helped my neck :3:

edit: I'm a magic napper, I can just say "I'm going to nap for an hour" be asleep within 2-3 minutes and wake up refreshed in an hour. but i also think i have a sleep disorder (sleep onset latency) so ymmv.

also if you lay there you often do sleep for a bit without realizing it, they did a study and tl;dr you are not a reliable narrator on whether you dozed off.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 19, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Derpies posted:

Pennywise ain’t about the tug lyfe he is a bag Lyfe

Oh poo poo. I always be tuggin'.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i usually wake myself too early up by farting really loud, then i poop in the toilet, then i cant get back to sleep, so i start work early. i am really productive and it has led to a lot of success, but it's because i fart too loud and poop too much.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I have insomnia and delayed sleep-phase disorder which makes sleeping kind of a pain. I'm also pretty much incapable of sleeping in imperfect conditions. It has to be very dark, cool, and quiet. White noise is fine but any breakthrough noise is intolerable. Bed must be incredibly soft with the right kind of pillows. When I was younger I used to wake up when my mom simply put her hand on the doorknob causing a tiny clicking noise, that's how sensitive and easy to awaken I am.

I can't afford to nap because it usually takes me at least an hour to fall asleep so it's just a huge waste of time and will also prevent me from sleeping properly later.

When I get up in the morning I'm always exhausted and want nothing else but to go back to sleep, but when it's time to go to sleep I'm totally keyed up and don't want to/can't sleep.

As far as the experience itself, yeah I don't mind sleeping it erases exhaustion and means I can be unconscious without using drugs

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

frogge posted:

I gotchu fam.
1. set a timer on your phone for 15~30mins.
2. add a few minutes depending on how long you think it takes you to fall asleep.
3. lay there and try to pass out
4. turn on a white noise machine.
5. enter zzz-town.
6. get blasted by that alarm and jolt awake
7. hit snooze/restart the timer.

This is what I do but instead of an alarm I have a cat screaming in my face that it's time to eat at 7 am, even though feeding time is an hour later

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The best is jerking yourself off to sleep and then sleeping 14 hours all the while having wet dreams and waking up stuck to your mattress and bed sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I wish I can sleep forever