Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mad Dragon posted:

Should have called it Krapoopoopiss.

I'll open up my screen recorder and make a copy of it to watch later. While I poop.

Don’t do that! You might not be able to tell which is which!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

no_tears posted:

I feel like right now it's hard to take a loss at throwing some spare cash on shitcoins. Especially ones that earn interest or have public figures talking about them for whatever reason. gotta ride those pump and dumps!

You take a 100% loss, with no recourse for recovery, if a person or exchange steals your unregulated digital gambling assets.

If you genuinely have "spare cash", put it in an index fund.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

no_tears posted:

I feel like right now it's hard to take a loss at throwing some spare cash on shitcoins. Especially ones that earn interest or have public figures talking about them for whatever reason. gotta ride those pump and dumps!

Considering how many exchanges are making their own currency and tether being backed by under 4% of actual cash I wouldn’t invest any amount of money.

It’s a bunch of monopoly money that isn’t backed by anything and if too many people decide they want actual usable currency the Ponzi scheme is going to implode exchanges.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Wonder how Tom Brady is feeling about Bitcoin right about now. How's that store of wealth.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spunkshui posted:

Considering how many exchanges are making their own currency and tether being backed by under 4% of actual cash I wouldn’t invest any amount of money.

It’s a bunch of monopoly money that isn’t backed by anything and if too many people decide they want actual usable currency the Ponzi scheme is going to implode exchanges.

It’s amazing to me that people who can’t trust a regulated, insured bank to the point they want to destroy it, don’t seem to blink twice keeping money on an exchange. Madoff ram a multi decade Ponzi on folks who literally “had people” for taxes and laws and investments, yet they see 0 things out of the ordinary with Tether. Madoff had a clean record and fleeced billions with good bedside manner. EVERY SINGLE exchange has lost some client money or just stole it and ran away. They can’t find China on a globe, but seem to have no problems at all trusting the miners. THEY WITNESSED multiple 51%+ attacks and wrote blog posts and email and Reddit tirades, but trust they won’t do it again. Primary sources that you can find with a two word Google search warn about USDT, at yet these coiners see no problem with buying it and bits repeatedly to the tune of billions of :10bux: But they don’t trust fiat backed by the army and time of use, but the fundamentals on Tether are apparently solid.

I don’t have a lot of money. I also know if Joe from accounting at Regions embezzled all $ on deposit and gave it to ISIS, my money would be back wether he was caught or not. And if I fat-finger my PIN at an ATM IN Idaho I don’t lose my life’s savings.

It breaks my already-naive and trusting brain. And bizarrely, it is really funny at the same time.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1394677293461778433?s=20

Looks like even China is starting to crack down on crypto.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

DerekSmartymans posted:

It’s amazing to me that people who can’t trust a regulated, insured bank to the point they want to destroy it, don’t seem to blink twice keeping money on an exchange. Madoff ram a multi decade Ponzi on folks who literally “had people” for taxes and laws and investments, yet they see 0 things out of the ordinary with Tether. Madoff had a clean record and fleeced billions with good bedside manner. EVERY SINGLE exchange has lost some client money or just stole it and ran away. They can’t find China on a globe, but seem to have no problems at all trusting the miners. THEY WITNESSED multiple 51%+ attacks and wrote blog posts and email and Reddit tirades, but trust they won’t do it again. Primary sources that you can find with a two word Google search warn about USDT, at yet these coiners see no problem with buying it and bits repeatedly to the tune of billions of :10bux: But they don’t trust fiat backed by the army and time of use, but the fundamentals on Tether are apparently solid.

I don’t have a lot of money. I also know if Joe from accounting at Regions embezzled all $ on deposit and gave it to ISIS, my money would be back wether he was caught or not. And if I fat-finger my PIN at an ATM IN Idaho I don’t lose my life’s savings.

It breaks my already-naive and trusting brain. And bizarrely, it is really funny at the same time.

well-researched counterpoint: numbers go up

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Can’t be that well researched because the numbers are going down.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

blunt posted:

Would this prohibit mining activities in China?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Yea, I thought the ASIC farms were government funded in China.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DerekSmartymans posted:

but if it's centrally regulated then the government can arbitrarily make your money worthless any second, can't trust it

sure it may take a while but the invisible hand of the free market is going to solve it. if an exchange takes people's money and disappears, people won't put any more money into that exchange. real competition means that any exchanges remaining have been selected as being good and trustworthy

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/cryptocurrency/nvidia-cripples-cryptocurrency-mining-on-rtx-3080-and-3070-cards/

quote:

"To help get GeForce GPUs in the hands of gamers, we announced in February that all GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards shipped with a reduced Ethereum hash rate," Wuebbling added.

Thanks, shitcoin miners, for introducing GPU DRM.

Armitag3 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 18, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

e:dit isnt quote

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

blunt posted:

this is good, for bitcoin

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

blunt posted:

Praise Mao

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
people in the comments say thats a policy from 2013

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

Considering all kinds of newspapers reported on it today, I'm dubious on these coiner claims being true.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Why would China want Bitcoin to function as anything other than an extractive industry? They have people mining something whose primary "value" is in Western financial markets, and domestically produced Bitcoin getting converted on overseas exchanges into actual currency before being incorporated into the real Chinese financial markets makes sense. I mean, I haven't looked into it further, but at a superficial level of analysis it makes sense to me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral posted:

Has anybody floated the idea of creating Gooncoin?
There is one, but it's minted through good posts so no coins have been discovered so far.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
china has done this before, i'm too lazy to research whether or not these are new policies or they're just gonna enforce old ones but they've been down the "institutions don't touch crypto" road before

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why would China want Bitcoin to function as anything other than an extractive industry? They have people mining something whose primary "value" is in Western financial markets, and domestically produced Bitcoin getting converted on overseas exchanges into actual currency before being incorporated into the real Chinese financial markets makes sense. I mean, I haven't looked into it further, but at a superficial level of analysis it makes sense to me.
That last bit of your theorized process isn't happening. It's a tool for evading capital controls. RMB --> electricity --> buttcoin --> USD (because miners sure as poo poo are not hodling)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Relin posted:

The Chinese gov't gave us the lovely term "digital gambling asset" when they banned it, IIRC.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

but if it's centrally regulated then the government can arbitrarily make your money worthless any second, can't trust it

sure it may take a while but the invisible hand of the free market is going to solve it. if an exchange takes people's money and disappears, people won't put any more money into that exchange. real competition means that any exchanges remaining have been selected as being good and trustworthy

Have you suddenly become a "coiner" or can we skip debunking this line of thinking for the umpteenth time?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pretty sure that's sarcastic but with buttcoin there's a strong Poe's Law effect going on.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Fame Douglas posted:

Considering all kinds of newspapers reported on it today, I'm dubious on these coiner claims being true.
https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1394673194326429699

seems like newspapers know as much about crypto as i do

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Would I be wrong to say that the trend is the longer lasting exchanges tend to have re-implemented a bunch of protections? thereby also defeating a bunch of blockchain tech ideals?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s almost like china knows this poo poo is poison, hmmm

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Shumagorath posted:

That last bit of your theorized process isn't happening. It's a tool for evading capital controls. RMB --> electricity --> buttcoin --> USD (because miners sure as poo poo are not hodling)

Also, monthly reminder that this "deflationary" currency prints a cool new $38 million USD equivalent per day at current prices as a reward for miners. The joke currency Doge was only printing $6.9 million per day last time I looked.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

InternetJunky posted:

I bow to your logic. :humble:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Andy Dufresne posted:

Also, monthly reminder that this "deflationary" currency prints a cool new $38 million USD equivalent per day at current prices as a reward for miners. The joke currency Doge was only printing $6.9 million per day last time I looked.

What does "deflationary" mean in your dictionary?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Somfin posted:

What does "deflationary" mean in your dictionary?

I used quotes for a purpose: I'm not using my dictionary, I'm using bitcoin's. One of the main theoretical benefits of bitcoin over fiat is that there will only ever be 21M of them and so they are scarce so you should buy them all now! Except, well, 900 of them are still being created per day right now and the supply won't really run dry for another 19 years. If we account for bitcoin that is presumably lost in the early days the supply is increasing by a bit more than 4% per year right now.

Yes, I understand purchasing power and not money supply is the real reflection of inflation. What with all the things you can purchase with bitcoin.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

This happened with the RTX 3060 earlier this year and Nvidia accidentally released a workaround less than a month later.

EDIT: Ah, I see the article talks about the 3060, but doesn't mention the accidental beta driver release that unthrottled the hash rate.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1362411147706654723

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1371466888535015426

Doggles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 19, 2021

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Relin posted:

China didn't ban crypto but soft ban it anyway?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Bleusilences posted:

China didn't ban crypto but soft ban it anyway?

china has some of the most of amazing and progressive consumer, labor and anti-corruption laws on the planet

they're not enforced because they're used only as a tool against business/people the local or central government wants to crack down on

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

That article seems to affirm that yes, China did just ban crypto: In 2013, they banned Bitcoin. 2017 ICOs, and now Cryptocurrencies in general.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I remember a looong time ago the winklevoss twins bought a shitload of buttes when it wasn't worth that much yet. What happened with that? Are they now the proud owners of 100 billion dollars of buttes?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

KinkyJohn posted:

I remember a looong time ago the winklevoss twins bought a shitload of buttes when it wasn't worth that much yet. What happened with that? Are they now the proud owners of 100 billion dollars of buttes?
Unclear. We'll have to check the laffchain.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Fame Douglas posted:

That article seems to affirm that yes, China did just ban crypto: In 2013, they banned Bitcoin. 2017 ICOs, and now Cryptocurrencies in general.

If only they'd ban mining it

Raid the mining farms Xi. Confiscate the asics and melt them down

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

KinkyJohn posted:

they used their gold mine discovery to start an exchange (gemini) and sell shovels to rubes instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

We're under $40k now, back to the price from early February. So now the folks who bought in with their stimmies need to decide if they're actually gonna hodl or be underwater.