Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Yaki are pretty disappointing. They look cool as hell and their plotline is okay, but once you rid Savage Spur 1 of the Xenon, they don't really do anything. They don't build, they don't make an economy. They just rely on trade to supply their shipyard/wharf or order from yours.

Going to build some stations for them and sell them to the Yaki and then sell them some traders and miners (or just change ownership using the cheat script rather than sell which might just send them to be disassembled) to see if the AI will get their poo poo running or not. I'm guessing they won't be included in the ailogic.xml or whatever but an interesting experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The thought of implementing game logic in a flatfile database just gave me an ulcer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Less Fat Luke posted:

Is it just me or have the devs been super quiet? Especially given there's still a beta live for testing.

The multiverse multiplayer thing will be the next thing out in a few weeks, probably working on that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The thought of implementing game logic in a flatfile database just gave me an ulcer.

Scripting is implemented in xml tags as well, one line of code per tag (or at least was in the older titles, but I don't think anythings changed).

Enjoy the trip to hospital.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mods? Mods!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

He's fading fast, call code GET THE CART

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there any way I can place buy orders for resources on my PHQ for the research? Or do I have to buy a trading ship and tell them to manually buy and deliver them?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there any way I can place buy orders for resources on my PHQ for the research? Or do I have to buy a trading ship and tell them to manually buy and deliver them?

When you start research your HQ automatically places buy orders. No need for any intervention on your part besides having money in your account.

That said, I found that the resources were gathered faster if I had my own traders for the station.

Edit: To be clear by "my own traders", I wasn't manually controlling them, I just had the station manager figure it out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone actually buy or use Nividium besides player research? I know ingame its largely obsolete but wondering if it's worth just having a miner or two milling around for it

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

When you start research your HQ automatically places buy orders. No need for any intervention on your part besides having money in your account.

That said, I found that the resources were gathered faster if I had my own traders for the station.

Edit: To be clear by "my own traders", I wasn't manually controlling them, I just had the station manager figure it out.

Make sure you top up the stations budget too!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Less Fat Luke posted:

Make sure you top up the stations budget too!

Incidentally how do I get it to stop pretending that my closed complexes topping up on resources and storage need budgets

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ice Fist posted:

Thanks, I assigned the station some budget and one of the small delivery ships i got from the story and it's sending it out to buy the resources, good to know!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How much money should I set aside for my first stations? And I'm also a bit curious whats the best way to obtain station blueprints. I remember them being rather expensive.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

How much money should I set aside for my first stations? And I'm also a bit curious whats the best way to obtain station blueprints. I remember them being rather expensive.

Station modules are actually somewhat reasonable outside of habitats and fabrication bays. Still don't buy them initially. Steal them instead. You can steal the blueprints for any station module outside of fabrication and maintenance bays which you must buy and they're pricey (150-250 million range).

1. Unlock the research options that allows blueprint theft.
2. Find a station that has the module you want.
3. Get pretty close to the module in question with your ship
4. Get into your space suit
5. Drop an EMP bomb on the module you want to steal (either craft the bomb or buy one from a free port)
6. Detonate it
7 Scan the resultant data leaks. I think 4(?) spawn, at least one is guaranteed to have a blueprint in it.
8. This action can make the station mad, so get out.

Rinse and repeat until you have the blueprints you need for your station.

As for starting amount. Modest stations are actually fairly reasonable. I'd guess maybe 10 million to be safe? That should get you a decent production station going. Stations don't start getting really expensive until you start adding a bunch of habitats and weapons to them. Fully fitted out defense stations are actually extremely expensive, even if they're small. There is a lot of material that goes into the shields and turrets so you can go pretty crazy with how expensive they become.

Don't worry about adding habitats right away. You don't need a workforce to have the station work. Later on, when you add one they'll provide a production bonus for any attached production modules, but it varies depending on the item. For instance, I think computronic substrate only gets like a 10% maximum bonus, but something like protein paste gets a 50% bonus. So the workforce bonus is better for intermediate items and less good for end products (but it's still basically free products over time and it adds up).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah for example I've got a consumer goods factory that makes Terran MREs and Medical Supplies (and Protein Paste as part of the chain). There's no reason to not have it have a workforce; it supplies itself and the production boosts pretty much offsets the loss.

Likewise you'll want your wharfs and shipyards to have workforces because then they'll build ships much quicker AND you'll have people to go into the crews (though one oddity I've noticed is that despite only having Terran habitats and only Terran people around when I'm walking around the docks, my ships built at my own wharf are of every race, not just Terrans).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone actually buy or use Nividium besides player research? I know ingame its largely obsolete but wondering if it's worth just having a miner or two milling around for it

Not on the market other than trading stations which miners can tap out quite easily, but a relatively easy terraforming project in memory of profit will allow you to ship nividium to the planet for cash, in volumes that scale with the number of inhabitants.

By that point though you are already printing money.

It would be nice if there were alternate production paths that used it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Egosoft I'm but one man

This station the Paranids want needs more turret components than has literally ever existed in this galaxy

:negative:

e: gently caress you the blueprint is 500 million for the faction capital!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 19, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Egosoft I'm but one man

This station the Paranids want needs more turret components than has literally ever existed in this galaxy

:negative:

e: gently caress you the blueprint is 500 million for the faction capital!

You aren't even at the worst part of the questline yet. Buckle up!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so I've been out of the picture X4-wise for a little while - probably a few months or so before the last expansion was initially teased/previewed. I'm just wondering though; if I jump back into the game, would I be able to rapidly pull the Terrans into war against HOP? Since part of why I stopped playing was my one-man war with HOP, to save PAR's skin. (I mean, I was tempted to let HOP take over and stay friends with them, but they're suuuuper powerful and would've rolled through ARG+ANT space. ARG+ANT are already barely able to hold them off, so I think HOP with only one front would punch through)

Don't get me wrong, using my plucky fleet of 90% stolen ships to take out HOP destroyer patrol fleets etc is great fun. Makes me feel like I'm some kind of spacefaring Black Company - elite mercs fighting a war between two bad parties (all a matter of perspective, I suppose) for the Godrealm. I've avoided taking losses, but the pressure of continuing that lossless streak was starting to sap some of the fun. (Since I don't have the funds to get another fleet of the same size, and PAR are down to a single wharf and some tiny factories. If I left them for a while, HOP would just come in and finish the job)

So yeah, I decided to put X4 on the shelf until CoH came out, in the hopes that I could quickly blitz through some quests and get the Terrans to buddy-up with the Argons and push into HOP territory to draw some heat away from me/PAR. (Alternatively, I guess I could just buy all the PAR prints I want, then let them fall. :v: I'd prefer not to if possible though, heh)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice Fist posted:

You aren't even at the worst part of the questline yet. Buckle up!

Hoo boy

e: lmao I looked gently caress that I'm not hunting crystals

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 19, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Hoo boy

e: lmao I looked gently caress that I'm not hunting crystals

I thought you'd be more concerned that Boso wants a cool billion credits to continue his research.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice Fist posted:

I thought you'd be more concerned that Boso wants a cool billion credits to continue his research.

That's just playing the seta game while I'm at work lol, the crystal grinding is way more tedious sounding

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Couple more questions... I got the "free" destroyer from the Terran storyline, how would I go about getting an OK captain and crew for it and how important is that actually? Also there only seems to be one level of capital ship engines available?

Also how do I find lodestones?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lodestones are dropped from asteroids being blown up.

There are only one tier of capship engines yes.

The biggest ships in your fleet are good choices for your skilled captains as it does make them a bit smarter, but if you don't have any it doesn't matter so much. You make skilled captains with seminars or download a leveling mod.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Even with 5 star pilots if you try to do in sector fights with the big ships prepare for a lot of 1) pivoting on every axis uselessly, 2) boosting away uselessly, 3) missing drat near every shot while doing 1 and 2, colliding with your other ships, lagging behind while they wait for fighters to dock who are busy doing 1 and 2, etc.

In sector big ship combat is a lot of fun. I just watched one my destroyers boost past a xenon defense station, execute a strange rear end turn so that only the M turrets could hit the station consistently, then fire while turning and miss every main battery shot. This is a ship with range-modded big guns to stay out of defense station turret range. I had to take control, take it out of there, and park it out of range so that the turrets would fire. Then when I let the 5 star captain have control again, they started doing 1 all over again and missed their main battery shots.

Honestly it's pretty entertaining. Using VRO, I just make all my L turrets cruise missile turrets because at least they actually hit the drat thing.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

For those of you who play VRO what is your favorite player ship? I've been playing around with the Juan and liking it more than I thought I would, but the kuraokami is pretty solid as well, if I could just figure out what weapons I want on it now...

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
New patch for Farnham's Legacy released - http://forum.egosoft.de/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=439016

Everything busted for me seems fixed, phew!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whats everyones favorte "allrounder" player ship? As overpowered as it was I kind of miss X3 TCs Hyperion at times. I have a Katana but it's lacking a S docking bay for the instances when I need to dock at other ships that only have a S bay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats everyones favorte "allrounder" player ship? As overpowered as it was I kind of miss X3 TCs Hyperion at times. I have a Katana but it's lacking a S docking bay for the instances when I need to dock at other ships that only have a S bay.

Despite the lack of bay, the Katana for sure. Fast, punches above its weight, instant travel speeds with a terran drive, handles boarding ops well for my marine frigates to move in, I basically only leave it for station trading or getting my destroyers to go somewhere without draining their shields boosting instead of traveling (why, idiots). I miss XRM giving every ship a docking bay for small fighters for instances like you mention though. And fighter bays that don't launch one at a time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

So I noticed that for some time the Teladi had claimed a xenon sector, then lost it back to the Xenon. A little while later I noticed that the FRF were losing stations and since I hadn't finished the split quest yet I didn't want to let the FRF take any more damage so I intervened on their behalf. Sure enough an I and two Ks were tearing the FRF apart. I took a fairly large fleet to go get a handle on the situation and ended up blowing up seveal xenon fleets and 4 xenon defense stations with the loss of just a single fighter. I thought to myself, hmmm, these stations are mysteriously devoid of defense drones. So when I noticed that the Xenon had created a solar plant in Fires of Defeat I went to go kill that too. These station attacks had been pretty boring so far so I had a large chunk of my firepower in the form of an Asgard, 2 Syns and 10 Osakas go do something else and I went to go eat lunch while this attack led by a CV, 70 fighters and 5 Osakas went down. I came back and most of my fleet was dead the remaining ships were getting torn up by defense drones and I was floating in space.

Good thing I had a save because boy I am save scumming that outcome.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
First podcast up talking about the multiverse https://anchor.fm/inside-egosoft

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay station management time... I'm building my first actual production complex in Mars, so a couple of question before its built:

1.) How do I make sure it only buys energy cells from my solar plant in Mercury?
2.) If I assign gas / mineral miners to the station, will they procure resources exclusively for this station?

I kind of want to assure that I dont buy any resources from other factions / pay money for them. Thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Make a trade rule that specifies only your faction, then use the logical overview to make the solar cell buy order use that trade rule.

Ships assigned to mine for a station exclusively collect materials for that station. Ships assigned to trade for a station will buy things the station has buy orders for and sell things the station has sell orders for.

However, stations will also post standing buy orders for minerals they need, and you can't turn this off because this is part of how the mining AI works, so NPC miners will try to sell to them by default. You can, however, assign a trade rule that blacklists NPC factions from meeting those orders if you absolutely want to refuse to pay for anything. However I would personally suggest that you might be better off just setting the price to minimum because if the supply is so flooded that they will sell to you at the minimum price you are probably better off paying for it rather than fronting the cost for your own miners. You can supply more of your own miners if you want but if the raw material supply is completely flooded you would probably make more money by investing in more production modules to use that resource.

You can also, if you want, locate your production facilities in the same sector as your power plant/mineral supplies, and ship the products to a warehouse station to sell them, or just let the AI buy from you. I would always do this personally because extra travel time on your miners means you need a lot more of them to get the same supply rate and also in the case of Sol, energy freighters you need to supply too rather than slapping the solar panels on the station directly. There's not really a rule says you can't use freighters for that but it's just more stuff you have to pay for.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 21, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im still a bit confused by the system, I have a trading ship assigned to my complex in mars, with a an auto trade gate range of 2.
My energy plant is in Mercury, selling energy cells for 10 credits. The Trader is not buying any energy cells from that station

I have also assigned 2 miners (gas and mineral) in asteroid belt as miners for the station and they're constantly stuck on "searching for resources" despite the sector having a resource probe.

Edit: Derp, don't drink and play. I built a connecting strut instead of a docking for M/S ships so the only dock it currently has is for L ships.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just a FYI, there’s also an unofficial Egosoft discord (which also has some active/former devs and modders)
https://discord.gg/2zsWzKQ

I use it for the help channels when I have a series of questions that need asking and there’s a more people active and willing to help than you’d think.

What’s so hard about this game is that it’s in constant improvement and expansion so there’s relatively little modern help content for 4.0.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Why the gently caress are groups of fighters so loathe to use their travel drives in sector when given attack orders. I sent 50 fighters to move from the gate they were camping to an unfinished xenon station maybe 100km away and they're slowboating the entire way and this is OOS behavior. Meanwhile, my Asgard and her 12 destroyers were happy to use their travel drives to move ~50km from the same gate to attack a defense station. :iiam:

Edit: They finished killing the station and happily travel drive'd back to the gate :cripes:

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 22, 2021

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I can't wait to get to that point. Right now I'm expanding my station economy to where I hopefully make more than my current 3~4mil. credits an hour then I'll build a super fleet to teabag the xenon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice Fist posted:

Why the gently caress are groups of fighters so loathe to use their travel drives in sector when given attack orders. I sent 50 fighters to move from the gate they were camping to an unfinished xenon station maybe 100km away and they're slowboating the entire way and this is OOS behavior. Meanwhile, my Asgard and her 12 destroyers were happy to use their travel drives to move ~50km from the same gate to attack a defense station. :iiam:

Edit: They finished killing the station and happily travel drive'd back to the gate :cripes:

It seems like ships will only slow boat or thrust to get somewhere after giving an attack order. I had a destroyer take an hour to board a ship because of that

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
I wouldn't want to use that many fighters without a carrier. I have a raptor with 100 fighters that melts stations or enemy capital ships but I have to be in sector for it to work... otherwise they would die like crazy. Simply tell the carrier to fly to about 20km from the target, and unleash the bees! For OOS, destroyers seem like the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there any ship thats really good for taking out xenon stations solo? I tried the Syn you get from the Terran storyline with plasma turrets and that works, but once the angry bees wake up I get swarmed really badly and cant do much about it. I miss X3 flak turrets... I have the XR ship modpack installed if any of those are especially good at it.