Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

PunkBoy posted:

I'm thinking about romancing Jack in 2, but I have this memory of her romance being really weird/creepy. Am I misremembering it?

Didn't Bioware try to paint Jack as some crazy badass rebel character, but then never actually showed her doing anything "crazy or badass" but instead just made her talk about herself and how crazy and badass she was? Like at the time the game was released it felt like Bioware was genuinely swinging for sending a women's empowerment message with Jack by saying woman can be just as tough and cool as dudes, but then it turned out the Bioware writers apparently at the time just didn't know how to make anybody seem cool or tough on purpose.

I remember a forums poster at the time summing it up pretty perfectly saying something like "if you want to emphasize how cool a character is, show them doing cool stuff. Nobody will think anybody is a badass just because THEY SAY THEY ARE."

So it would probably be weird and creepy to be in a relationship with somebody like that, yeah.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

bonk

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bobjr posted:

Ashley also has some of the issues Renegade Shepard has where sometimes it’s wanting to make sure Humans work for themselves first, thinking the other alien species will do the same and Humanity shouldn’t be all give and no take, and sometimes it’s “I can’t tell the aliens from the animals!”

This line is especially funny because....there are no animals at all in the Presidium, literally just other sentient races, all of them except the hanar are even wearing clothes.

So either she literally cannot tell the difference between the asari receptionist and a dog wearing a sweater, or she's just specifically racist against hanar, which is fine because they really are all big stupid jellyfish.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willatron posted:

Upon finishing ME2 last night and fulfilling all the requirements to unlock sexy stripper Kelly dances in your private cabin, I regret to inform everyone that they removed sexy stripper Kelly as a reward for not romancing anybody in ME2. RIP Sexy Stripper Kelly.

But will she still feed your fish :ohdear:

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Doctor Nutt posted:

But will she still feed your fish :ohdear:

Yes, thank god. I don't even buy fish until Kelly offers to feed them because I will always forget a feeding cycle at some point and either overfeed or starve them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Willatron posted:

Upon finishing ME2 last night and fulfilling all the requirements to unlock sexy stripper Kelly dances in your private cabin, I regret to inform everyone that they removed sexy stripper Kelly as a reward for not romancing anybody in ME2. RIP Sexy Stripper Kelly.

what the gently caress

forget miranda's rear end shot this is the true gamergate

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
ME2 has a weird save time bug on the Xbox. Going into rest mode doesn't seem to stop the timer for game time. So I've tried restarting the game and now I'm probably about 10 hours in and it reset my time to 5 mins played. Nothing major, but I like to see where the time left in my life is going.

Anyone else on Xbox encountering that?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware really wants you to gently caress the hot blue space babe because Liara's motivations in ME2 make zero sense otherwise.

I was romancing kaiden because I've never done it before, and I want to do it then kill him on vermire, liara was interested and I was like "I'm into kaiden" and she basically went "ok but, maybe you're also interested in me" so I was like eh yeah, then later they both confronted me and I tried to negotiate a 3 way but kaiden immediately got mad and stormed off and liara was like "thanks for choosing me!"

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

GreatGreen posted:

I remember a forums poster at the time summing it up pretty perfectly saying something like "if you want to emphasize how cool a character is, show them doing cool stuff. Nobody will think anybody is a badass just because THEY SAY THEY ARE."

I mean, she blows up all sorts of poo poo in her recruitment mission and she's the only one who can hold the biotic barrier in the Suicide Mission other than the thousand year old biotic warrior. Her gameplay biotics are weirdly in line with all of the other characters but in the story she does actually do some cool stuff.

edit-

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tali is kinda racist against the Geth, for that matter.

Replaying ME1 again it is stark how much character growth the four from ME1 get to where they are at in 3. I think Liara's is the only one that is overdone to the point where she is unrecognizable in ME2 (though Lair fixes some of that).

Though the human ME1 characters who cares

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 19, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

tensai posted:

ME2 has a weird save time bug on the Xbox. Going into rest mode doesn't seem to stop the timer for game time. So I've tried restarting the game and now I'm probably about 10 hours in and it reset my time to 5 mins played. Nothing major, but I like to see where the time left in my life is going.

Anyone else on Xbox encountering that?

I have my Xbox in energy saving mode and never use quick resume because it still seems like resuming games is a little glitchy. But if you have a series x it's still like ten second max from boot up to loading into your save, Xbox gonna obsolete their own feature at this pace

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ME2 combat is definitely a lot punchier and fun than ME1, but right now as a Vanguard I feel like I really have to play it like a cover shooter or I'll immediately die. I basically only use my charge to clean up.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Was thinking of music throughout the series and forgot how amazingly bad some of the cues are in ME1. Having the 'Jenkins just died' music playing when the council told Udina to go away comes to mind.

Also it's really interesting playing this 10 years later. I tried remaking my original 'I'll just pick what feels natural/right' character from 2008 and she's playing out waaay different.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I have my Xbox in energy saving mode and never use quick resume because it still seems like resuming games is a little glitchy. But if you have a series x it's still like ten second max from boot up to loading into your save, Xbox gonna obsolete their own feature at this pace

I think I'll do that. There's been a couple times where the HDMI output gets weirded out and I have to reboot the sexxboxx and my TV to get it to show up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doctor Nutt posted:

I forget, is there even a same sex relationship for female Shepard that isn't Liara until 3? So much for woke Bioware.

I wanna be space gay

Nope. The romance options are great but I do wish there were more choices, especially in the first two games.

In 3, if Kaidan is dead and you didn't romance Garrus or Thane in ME2, there isn't a male romance option for female Shepard! Jacob just bails on you and the only new options are Allers, Traynor and Cortez. I remember holding out hope and then just being like, "huh, guess not". Meanwhile every game thrusts Liara at you like a cat bringing home a dead bird.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

hahahaha

https://twitter.com/TsukihimeDemake/status/1395012265707966474?s=20

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The thing that's really sticking out to me about ME1 is just how outdated the level design and "workflow" of the game feels in that it doesn't really do a good job of guiding the player at all.

Basically there are some really great looking and interesting spaces in this game but there is like zero textural or lighting information that tells me where to go so I just kind of have to comb the edges of wherever I am until I happen upon some door or unlit hallway that is not really visually distinct from anything else around it. This isn't true 100% of the time but it's common enough to notice. Also backtracking is a very regular thing in this game so that means you never really know if you just stumbled onto some dead end of the level or if going there triggers some script or something needed to progress the mission or whatever.

Also as far as I'm aware you can't select an "active" mission or assignment, so there's no real way to quickly differentiate between your desired mission waypoint from all the other ones on the game map, which is confusing in large hubs, and as an extension of not being able to select an active quest, there's also no way to lock your currently "chosen" mission's waypoint to your minimap, so you just have to walk close enough for it to get into minimap range and hope it's the right "!" to progress the mission you want.

So yeah it's a lot of fun but I'm looking forward to beating it and heading on over to ME2.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 19, 2021

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I've completed the first ME a couple of times before, and am enjoying the fact that there are still a few things that are new to me. I never knew that the upper level in Flux on the Citadel had slot machines (very old Bioware, the interface for those gave me strong Pazaak flashbacks). I'd never much used Kaidan or Tali in previous playthroughs, so rolling with them has kept things fresh as well.

I went to Therium first, which initially seemed like a mistake, given how hard the Colossus and Krogan were for me at around level 7, but then I remembered how great biotics are in the first game and was able to completely neutralise the latter with a Lift/Throw combo.

Judge Tesla posted:

I like how they didn't even try to hide the fact that Saren was the villain, he looks like a robot and has the game over music as his theme ...

I'd never thought of that before! :laugh: As others have said, the game does move very quickly in setting him up as the villain and the Reapers as and undeniable threat to the whole galaxy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Didn't Bioware try to paint Jack as some crazy badass rebel character, but then never actually showed her doing anything "crazy or badass" but instead just made her talk about herself and how crazy and badass she was? Like at the time the game was released it felt like Bioware was genuinely swinging for sending a women's empowerment message with Jack by saying woman can be just as tough and cool as dudes, but then it turned out the Bioware writers apparently at the time just didn't know how to make anybody seem cool or tough on purpose.

So it would probably be weird and creepy to be in a relationship with somebody like that, yeah.

Bioware also originally wanted Jack to be topless which okay I understand the point I hope they were trying to make but maybe not in a video game.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So yeah, sum total, the options run like:

Romance options for straight lady Shepard: Kaidan, Garrus, Thane, Jacob (cheats on you and doesn't continue the romance in 3).

Romance options for straight dude Shepard: Ashley, Liara, Miranda, Tali, Jack, Allers (ME3 only).

F/F romance options: Liara, Traynor (ME3 only), Allers (ME3 only).

M/M romance options: Kaidan (ME3 only), Cortez (ME3 only).

So straight up it's 6 options for straight dudes, 4 options for straight women, 3 options for gay women, and 2 options for gay men. That sucks!

But then factor in that a lot of the options that aren't for straight men are one game only and don't carry across through the trilogy, and it's even more skewed in favour of straight dude Shepard, who has the vast majority of his romance options carry across either all three games, or from ME2 to ME3. Meanwhile all the gay options for both genders except Liara only appear in ME3, and the straight options for female Shepard aren't as numerous in the first place plus one of them doesn't carry over into ME3.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jack's romance in 2 kinda sucks because Shepard "fixes" her and it's kinda yuck. But she's much better in 3 and they did a good job of making her romance pretty satisfying in that one. Probably the best one of the ME2 characters that aren't Garrus or Tali. She and Thane both, though obviously Thane has a more bittersweet end.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Isn't the first time you see saren in mass effect when he shoots nihlus in the back of the head and then immediately start ordering around the geth attacking eden prime? I feel like that's a bit more of a giveaway that he's a bad guy than the music.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

That Slate article certainly is something but uh

https://twitter.com/TsukihimeDemake/status/1395021578870665219

Kibayasu posted:

Bioware also originally wanted Jack to be topless which okay I understand the point I hope they were trying to make but maybe not in a video game.
In all fairness she's virtually topless anyway in ME2.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Sombrerotron posted:

In all fairness she's virtually topless anyway in ME2.

Am I the only one who bought that appearance DLC (now in the LE for everyone) just so I could put some clothes on her? It's so cold in space.

The biker jacket is sweet too.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

I liked playing as FemShep, I think Jennifer Hale deserves recognition for the bang up job she did, but people can be downright dumb about how she's "the right way" to play Mass Effect, a game about creating your own experience out of a myriad of choices.

Personally, as much as I liked playing as FemShep, I prefer BroShep. Meer's got a certain goofyness to his voice that I think plays well to a space opera ship captain.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Phobeste posted:

Isn't the first time you see saren in mass effect when he shoots nihlus in the back of the head and then immediately start ordering around the geth attacking eden prime? I feel like that's a bit more of a giveaway that he's a bad guy than the music.

Yeah you get shown he's a bad guy pretty much immediately. His plot development is about why exactly he's a bad guy and convincing others he is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

So yeah, sum total, the options run like:

Romance options for straight lady Shepard: Kaidan, Garrus, Thane, Jacob (cheats on you and doesn't continue the romance in 3).

Romance options for straight dude Shepard: Ashley, Liara, Miranda, Tali, Jack, Allers (ME3 only).

F/F romance options: Liara, Traynor (ME3 only), Allers (ME3 only).

M/M romance options: Kaidan (ME3 only), Cortez (ME3 only).

So straight up it's 6 options for straight dudes, 4 options for straight women, 3 options for gay women, and 2 options for gay men. That sucks!

But then factor in that a lot of the options that aren't for straight men are one game only and don't carry across through the trilogy, and it's even more skewed in favour of straight dude Shepard, who has the vast majority of his romance options carry across either all three games, or from ME2 to ME3. Meanwhile all the gay options for both genders except Liara only appear in ME3, and the straight options for female Shepard aren't as numerous in the first place plus one of them doesn't carry over into ME3.

You left out Vega, Javik and Samara in the Citadel DLC. Plus if Allers counts then Kelly would too. And Morinth with an asterisk.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Veeta posted:

I went to Therium first, which initially seemed like a mistake, given how hard the Colossus and Krogan were for me at around level 7, but then I remembered how great biotics are in the first game and was able to completely neutralise the latter with a Lift/Throw combo.

probably not that fun fact: the getting the mako to the colossus fight bug is still in the game, but they don't all freeze in place like in OG they actually attack you now, not that it matters even a colossus is no match for the mako :911:.

edit: also I'm disappointed nobody has made a smiley of the guy aggressively saluting from independence day.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 19, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I forget, is there even a same sex relationship for female Shepard that isn't Liara until 3? So much for woke Bioware.

I wanna be space gay

There are proper voice lines for both Sheps for a same sex relationship with Kaiden and Ashley, but those need mods to be used.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To be fair, that is reasonable in-universe. She is descended from a militaristic bunch of murderer propagandists who killed anyone who thought of the Geth as people and has been fed that propaganda her whole life. Her burgeoning empathy towards Legion in 3 (and the - slim - possibility of changing other Quarians' minds on the subject) is ridiculously impressive for paragon Shep.

Android Blues posted:

The fact that they went out of their way to code out the gay options in ME1 and ME2, which already had VA lines and created cutscenes, made the fact that there were not one but two gay characters on your ship in ME3 a bit out there. At least they were some of the best-written characters (IMO) though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's also been claims since ME2 launched that Thane and Tali were planned to be bisexual romances but got cut.

I'm still going to buy Legendary Edition once I have my new computer that's on the way, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed all the same.

mastajake posted:

The fact that they went out of their way to code out the gay options in ME1 and ME2, which already had VA lines and created cutscenes, made the fact that there were not one but two gay characters on your ship in ME3 a bit out there. At least they were some of the best-written characters (IMO) though.

I like Traynor, and want to like her a lot, but she was written by a man and it shows. The game just can't resist putting the first non-Shepard lesbian in the series in sexy lingerie.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BisbyWorl posted:

There are proper voice lines for both Sheps for a same sex relationship with Kaiden and Ashley, but those need mods to be used.

Maybe if this crypto crash is real and the used GPU market gets lit I will be able to play modded LE in my lifetime

Cythereal posted:

I like Traynor, and want to like her a lot, but she was written by a man and it shows. The game just can't resist putting the first non-Shepard lesbian in the series in sexy lingerie.

It comes off as very Whedonesque, which is tremendously telling in hindsight.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 19, 2021

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

mastajake posted:

Attitudes toward homosexuality were improving in the late aughts, but gay marriage was still illegal in the entire US iirc (might've been some states that had legalized by that point, but don't recall) and Canada had only legalized it 2 years before the release of ME1. I don't know if it was BioWare or EA's call that had them remove the homosexual romances from the first and second game, and I'm certainly not saying it was okay for them to do so, but they were probably afraid of bringing down even more wrath from the bible thumpers and morality brigades that were already trying to paint Mass Effect as a pornographic game for having the most PG sex scenes imaginable other than a straight fade to black.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Codependent Poster posted:

Jack's romance in 2 kinda sucks because Shepard "fixes" her and it's kinda yuck. But she's much better in 3 and they did a good job of making her romance pretty satisfying in that one. Probably the best one of the ME2 characters that aren't Garrus or Tali. She and Thane both, though obviously Thane has a more bittersweet end.

Okay, yeah, I remember that now, that's pretty sketchy. I did like Jack in 3 a lot, though, so maybe I'll give it a try.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > mass effect: Anyone who hasn't played those games are kuso (incredibly derogatory)

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 19, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willatron posted:

Attitudes toward homosexuality were improving in the late aughts, but gay marriage was still illegal in the entire US iirc (might've been some states that had legalized by that point, but don't recall) and Canada had only legalized it 2 years before the release of ME1. I don't know if it was BioWare or EA's call that had them remove the homosexual romances from the first and second game, and I'm certainly not saying it was okay for them to do so, but they were probably afraid of bringing down even more wrath from the bible thumpers and morality brigades that were already trying to paint Mass Effect as a pornographic game for having the most PG sex scenes imaginable other than a straight fade to black.

Yeah I volunteered for the campaign to legalize gay marriage in wa state after my first playthrough of Mass Effect, if I can blow some zoomer minds about how recent that poo poo really is (lol jk I know we're all geriatric millenials and x-ers here)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember Mass Effect 1 being on Fox News for being a “Virtual Rape Simulator”

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bobjr posted:

I could have sworn the segment they did on sex in games segued from like Mass Effect to Rapelay or something stupid like that, but that might just be a terrifying fever dream from years of browsing these very forums

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Willatron posted:

Ashley is more ignorant than outright racist, I don't get the impression that she hates aliens but she seems to have issues seeing them as fellow sapient creatures. I just don't like Ashley, tbh. It has less to do with her views on alien species and more just because she's a dumb hick military brat who thinks reading some Tennyson makes up for being a dumb hick military brat. I just find her such a boring "Ooh rah!" space marine trope.

Kaiden isn't especially interesting, but at least I feel like his back story coming up through biotic training in the ascension program to be more of a compelling character origin than Ashley "My whole family is soldiers and despite being poo poo on by the military we suck Alliance dick all day" Williams.

Ashley is a soldier from space Montana.

That literally tells you everything you need to know.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

bobjr posted:

Femshep: Kaidan, you know you want this. [Renegade +20]

Also for however badly they handled Jacob in ME3 Femshep is absolutely doing sexual harassment at him in ME2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wolfsheim posted:

Femshep: Kaidan, you know you want this. [Renegade +20]

Also for however badly they handled Jacob in ME3 Femshep is absolutely doing sexual harassment at him in ME2.

That line read on "Actually I'm more interested in just talking for a bit" :wtc: Jennifer Hale???

also since we're talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU Not a fox link and won't give anyone at fox clicks, just a random youtuber account

e: lmao the fox lady says that you get to choose all the moves for your sex and dictate what the characters will do :stare:

e2: If you find yourself easily triggered by jack thompson poo poo don't watch lol

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 19, 2021