Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Gonna be funny to see Wilder sparked out again. Supposedly Joshua is likely to fight Usyk now, which is a good contingency plan.

That would make me hate this less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Gonna be funny to see Wilder sparked out again. Supposedly Joshua is likely to fight Usyk now, which is a good contingency plan.

These are both high risk fights for the champs. I love it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Anyone have any spicy predictions for Ramirez-Taylor?

Let us focus on the positive instead of negative friends :)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Quizzlefish posted:

These are both high risk fights for the champs. I love it.

They're better than what we've been getting. I also want that juggernaut Joyce to fight someone with contender status. Joyce/White would be a brawl.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I think Josh Taylor takes it. He seems a little more talented; just a little better in most areas. It's definitely anyone's fight though. I like that they're both about the same size (5'10); I think Regis Prograis' relative lack of size was the one big reason that Taylor was able to win that fight.

Taylor said recently on an interview with Chris Mannix that he's not necessarily moving up to 147 if he wins, but I hope the winner does move up. Unless Taylor/Ramirez is super close, there's nothing really left at 140 for the winner, and I want to see Terence Crawford vs the winner of this fight. That would be the last two undisputed 140 champs facing off. Plus, Crawford badly needs opponents.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Anyone have any spicy predictions for Ramirez-Taylor?

Let us focus on the positive instead of negative friends :)

Feels neck and neck to me. I think Taylor is the favourite for a good reason and it’s not just British hype, but it’s difficult to say until you see them in the ring. I want to watch their big fights again because I feel like this is going to come down to style. Gun to my head I go with Taylor, he’s more proven and I think his win over Prograis was quality.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/31474169/jake-paul-promotional-deal-place-show-sports-adviser-says

jake paul got a promotional deal with showtime

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Boxing is such a farce lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sweet science (of cashing in on youtubers in 2021)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jake Paul vs Adrien Broner lfg

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Paul brothers' boxing schtick is less annoying if you think of them as promoters who get into the ring. They're still garbage people ofc

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The Paul brothers will do like 7 million in PPV buys this year and that's just really loving wild and I just don't know to handle myself now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

The Paul brothers will do like 7 million in PPV buys this year and that's just really loving wild and I just don't know to handle myself now.

i can't help but respect it.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

This is good for boxing. It gets younger fans eyes on the sport

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i can't help but respect it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yeah, the Paul brothers suck but them getting a bunch of kids to look at boxing and boxers is like, objectively a good thing if you like boxing. And seeing Floyd yell that he wants to kill Jake Paul also rocks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

George Kansas posted:

Yeah, the Paul brothers suck but them getting a bunch of kids to look at boxing and boxers is like, objectively a good thing if you like boxing. And seeing Floyd yell that he wants to kill Jake Paul also rocks.

MMA has done a lot of this kind of poo poo and it doesn't actually do much to help the sport as a whole. A few select people get very rich and you get lots of people who only show up for the e.g. Brock Lesnar fight and spouting bad/uninformed opinions everywhere, and who very obviously only tune in for the celebrity fight. Some MMA posters were encountering/reporting that they knew people who thought that Brock Lesnar was still the UFC champion up to 5 years afte he had retired.

Like, think about the bad takes you heard before and after Mayweather-McGregor, but a million times dumber - that's the road we're probably on unless these Paul fight cards start spotlighting more proper boxers and fewer youtube beefs. In fact, this is just turning into a high fidelity version of StreetBeefs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

George Kansas posted:

I think it’s bad because boxing is a blood sport that should be abolished

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

I think it’s bad because boxing is a blood sport that should be abolished

I can only get excited by the thought of a boxing pay per view headlined by Hasan Piker vs Adin Ross. The ring card girls will be the Addison Rae and the Botez sisters. These are legitimate business ideas I have.

Edit: Really though I don't view these things as helping or harming the sport in the long run because, as Jump King noted boxing is a Bloodsport with long history of novelty fights anyways so it can't hurt. But I'm not sure it helps either because it's not like Devin Haney or Billy Joe Saunders got much shine for being on the KSI-Logan Paul 2 undercard.

Edit the second: Just realized that this means Mauro Ranallo will now be calling Jake Paul fights again. Probably the only commentator who can go full WWE while not being a total joke, unlike Ray Flores. His next fight is probably Chad Johnson if he wins his fight on the Floyd-Logan undercard or Dillon Danis because Show time broadcasts Bellator as well.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 20, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not going to hate the hustle. Jake definitely takes boxing seriously, even though he's not going to be elite, he puts a lot of time and effort in to it and if people are going to give him more than his skill is worth for the eyes he brings in, so be it. Sure, he's a loving turd of a person and seeing him ko'd would be nice, but if he's taking big names like showtime for a ride, I'm for it. A broken clock as they say.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Manny Pacquiao vs Errol Spence announced for August 21st. Wow.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

From Manny's own twitter too

https://twitter.com/MannyPacquiao/status/1395842435448668164?s=19

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
loving love it. I fear for Manny but the absolute stones when he probably couldve made a similar amount fighting Mikey instead are incredible.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It is impossible to predict this sport

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Between Wilder-Fury 3 in July, this in August (looking the background of the mock poster) and, I would assume, Canelo-whoever in September; Vegas is going to be lit to death this summer.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Terence Crawford is either ducking legitimate opponents or his management is completely incompetent (I assume the latter). The guy has failed to make fights with Pacquiao and Shawn Porter just over the last couple months alone, and his resume at 147 is severely lacking considering he's been at the weight for 3 years now. This Spence/Pacquiao news is out of left field; the fight was supposed to be Crawford/Pacquiao. Who's Crawford going to fight now? Mikey Garcia? There's basically no one else for him.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Terence Crawford is either ducking legitimate opponents or his management is completely incompetent (I assume the latter). The guy has failed to make fights with Pacquiao and Shawn Porter just over the last couple months alone, and his resume at 147 is severely lacking considering he's been at the weight for 3 years now. This Spence/Pacquiao news is out of left field; the fight was supposed to be Crawford/Pacquiao. Who's Crawford going to fight now? Mikey Garcia? There's basically no one else for him.

He's very obviously just going to fight the Ramirez/Taylor winner.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

He's very obviously just going to fight the Ramirez/Taylor winner.

For sure, but under that plan he's going to be waiting a full year for a fight, after only fighting once in 2020. Not great.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Arum was grumbling about Crawford a while back:
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/bob-arum-i-dont-care-if-crawford-got-mad-at-me-im-losing-money-on-him/164469/amp

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Crawford is 3 years into his welterweight career and hasn’t fought a single top guy: Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao, or Errol Spence. Brutal mismanagement.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Genuinely his biggest mistake was staying with top rank. Everybody was saying he shouldn’t went he went to welter and the obvious happened.

He could have done more to push those fights and he might have gotten them but at the end of the day he’s never been a guy who plays the media well. At PBC they had what the apparatus to push his career without him doing anything more or making compromises but he stuck with his old promoter and got burned.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I mean if Crawford has signed with PBC when his contact had expired, he's (more or less) just another guy in their mix. With Top Rank he's the prized pig and command the salaries as such.

Edit; I mean we're not in the meetings and such but I feel really,.that there is nothing he or Brian McIntyre could do to actually cause him to fight a top 5 fighter on the PBC roster.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 22, 2021

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Edit: thassa double post

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 22, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

I mean if Crawford has signed with PBC when his contact had expired, he's (more or less) just another guy in their mix. With Top Rank he's the prized pig and command the salaries as such.

Edit; I mean we're not in the meetings and such but I feel really,.that there is nothing he or Brian McIntyre could do to actually cause him to fight a top 5 fighter on the PBC roster.

I guess i think Crawford is a p4p quality dude, and could get himself up there by beating the other PBC welters. Everybody knows he’s the good and PBC would be goofy to not treat him like a star and line him up for high profile matches leading to an eventual head to head with Spence, I’m not a boxing economist but I think that gets him to the money more effectively than commanding overpriced salaries against foreign welterweight has beens.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is a fantastic fight so far

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is a fantastic fight so far

I'm so far out of boxing things at this point I'm only vaguely aware that these guys are good but this is a real good fight so far.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Really enjoyed that. Haven't stayed up until 4am to watch people hit each other in years, glad I did though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Great fight. And despite Josh Taylor being quite special; he has a bit of an Oscar De La Hoya quality to him, Jose Ramirez proved that he's a great fighter tonight as well. Ramirez actually seemed to be dictating the fight after five rounds, but Taylor caught him with that devastating straight left in the 6th, and after the second knockdown it was all over. Too fast and too accurate from Taylor.

I'm not sure if Taylor can beat Terence Crawford, but I'd like to see that fight at 147, and Crawford has very few other options. It would be a modern day De La Hoya vs Mosley.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Jake Paul has suddenly developed a bad case of acne. If only there were a reasonable explanation for why an adult man who holds himself out as a boxer might develop acne when he has no fights scheduled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Great fight. And despite Josh Taylor being quite special; he has a bit of an Oscar De La Hoya quality to him, Jose Ramirez proved that he's a great fighter tonight as well. Ramirez actually seemed to be dictating the fight after five rounds, but Taylor caught him with that devastating straight left in the 6th, and after the second knockdown it was all over. Too fast and too accurate from Taylor.

I'm not sure if Taylor can beat Terence Crawford, but I'd like to see that fight at 147, and Crawford has very few other options. It would be a modern day De La Hoya vs Mosley.

I hope Ramirez doesn't spend a long time in the wilderness like Prograis has after losing to Taylor because he is only marginally behind Taylor in class.

I'm fine with a homecoming with Jack Catterall for Josh next, maybe get a deal with a UK promoter because that has been lacking for this fight imo. After that I don't see why he has to move up and fight Crawford, there are still fights at 140 I would still like to see; Teofimo, Tank Davis, Broner and the rematches with Prograis/Ramirez. So no rush unless the weight is an issue.