Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

dokmo posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Next time I go stumping I want to try some of these methods out, just to see how long it takes before I give up.

Try not to burn down half the state by starting a random fire like it's a gender reveal party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Posting on page 1066, hi to all my Norman buddies.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So what were the Danes doing around 1066?
Seem pretty quiet compared to the Norwegians

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Circa 1000 the Danes discovered the concept of being Ligeglad roughly translated as "not giving a gently caress"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

So what were the Danes doing around 1066?
Seem pretty quiet compared to the Norwegians

Fighting with the Norwegians, mostly. In 1069 they sent an army to England to try to unseat William and reestablish the Danelaw, but it didn't amount to much.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deteriorata posted:

Fighting with the Norwegians, mostly. In 1069 they sent an army to England to try to unseat William and reestablish the Danelaw, but it didn't amount to much.
Nice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dokmo posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Next time I go stumping I want to try some of these methods out, just to see how long it takes before I give up.

This looks fun:

source

I think the more pre-industrial of a farmer you are, the less a big stump actually bothers you. Ox can plow around it, harvest is by hand anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's cool. They might never truly crack it, but could still get a good idea of what the remaining texts mean. Perhaps a clue would be making assumptions on how that linguistic change would have taken place.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Ola posted:

This looks fun:

source

I think the more pre-industrial of a farmer you are, the less a big stump actually bothers you. Ox can plow around it, harvest is by hand anyway.

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ola posted:

This looks fun:

source

I pulled three mulberry saplings out of the ground with my pickup, it was better than cumming. I can only image what this felt like.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Circa 1000 the Danes discovered the concept of being Ligeglad roughly translated as "not giving a gently caress"

It's not quite that dramatic, "Jeg er ligeglad" just means "I don't care/mind". More literally 'evenly happy'.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

It's not quite that dramatic, "Jeg er ligeglad" just means "I don't care/mind". More literally 'evenly happy'.

"My king, news from the west! The army has fallen and your brother the jarl is eagle fodder."

"Sigh, you know what, at this point I'm evenly happy. We have it nice here, with our rye bread and our lovely red sausages. Do we really need that rainy Saxon place? Let's just hygge around the hearth. "

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Harald Haraldsson just invented something he calls schnapps."

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
"I accidentally left some pork rinds in oven and uhm .. it's not a full meal but still pretty satisfying"

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

If there were a Latin thread I'd post this there but the one linked in SAL apparently hasn't been used in years.

So! Latin! I don't know much about it, but I recently read that you decline (which I understand to be like conjugations, but for nouns) proper names. Wikipedia's page on Latin Declensions lists exactly five, and they only appear to work on words with specific endings, like "-a" or "-o" or "-u". So, my understanding you take the base noun, combine it with the context in which the noun is being used, and then stick a different ending on it, with the specifics of the process being complicated, and that somehow becomes the equivalent of word ordering rules in English.

1. Is that right-ish?
and, this is my real question:
2. Given that, how do you talk about "Harald Haraldsson" or non-Latin names, which might have any kind of arbitrary endings that the original language favors? Do you just arbitrarily stick an ending on the name, or were there some "Latinizing" rules specifically for names?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been a long time since the one year of latin I took in college, but I recall there being one or two declensions that aren't marked by special endings in the nominative form. I don't know exactly how latin handled loanwords, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

If there were a Latin thread I'd post this there but the one linked in SAL apparently hasn't been used in years.

So! Latin! I don't know much about it, but I recently read that you decline (which I understand to be like conjugations, but for nouns) proper names. Wikipedia's page on Latin Declensions lists exactly five, and they only appear to work on words with specific endings, like "-a" or "-o" or "-u". So, my understanding you take the base noun, combine it with the context in which the noun is being used, and then stick a different ending on it, with the specifics of the process being complicated, and that somehow becomes the equivalent of word ordering rules in English.

1. Is that right-ish?
and, this is my real question:
2. Given that, how do you talk about "Harald Haraldsson" or non-Latin names, which might have any kind of arbitrary endings that the original language favors? Do you just arbitrarily stick an ending on the name, or were there some "Latinizing" rules specifically for names?

Gustavus Adolphus, Carolus, Adalbertus, etc are not originally latin names. You can stick them into a form that works.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've thought about how Semitic names like Hannibal and Hamilcar do not get endings. Most of the European languages that the Romans encountered would still have had the endings and they would correspond with the Latin ones to some extent because they had shared origins. No wonder Celtic and Germanic people were given Latin names that end in -us, that would have been something like -os and -az respectively in their languages. For Greek they did put Greek third declension names like Platôn into the Latin third declension, giving Plato. And the Greeks did the same so that Cicero would become Kikerôn. The Carthaginian names were changed a bit but didn't get an -us slapped on, so it can't have been arbitrary. But in medieval Latin I think it was customary to just add inflection endings to names.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is it possible that Hannibal kept his name as an honorarium of some sort?

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Grevling posted:

..For Greek they did put Greek third declension names like Platôn into the Latin third declension, giving Plato. And the Greeks did the same so that Cicero would become Kikerôn..

Oooooh.
That's interesting, I've often wondered why in English they were Cato, Cicero, and Plato while in French they are Caton, Cicéron and Platon respectively.
(Also Frodon and Bilbon)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
New Testament Greek also has the same relationship with Hebrew names as Latin does with Phoenician names; Mary, Joseph, etc are just undeclined and loaned directly. I don't know Latin though, much less church related Latin so I can't speak to that, but from the existence of, well, "Maria" and "Jesus" in Latinized forms like the examples above I'd assume it's different?

The gap between classical and church is interesting here too. What pre-Constantine liturgical stuff in Latin is there?

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 22, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

The gap between classical and church is interesting here too. What pre-Constantine liturgical stuff in Latin is there?

There is the Didache which would have been in Greek first, but I’d imagine the were Latin versions of it before Constantine.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't know of any surviving pre-Constantine liturgical work originally written in Latin, but the Didascalia Apostolorum may have been translated into Latin before Constantine. It is generally dated to the 3rd century, although it was originally written in Greek, then translated into Syriac (which is the only complete version we have now) and Latin. The oldest Latin manuscript is fragmentary and dates to the late 5th century, but it may have been translated into Latin much earlier. You can find a copy of an English translation with the Latin fragments on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/didascaliaaposto0000unse/page/n7/mode/2up.

Like Bar Ran Dun mentioned, the Didache was probably also translated into Latin before Constantine, although the manuscript tradition for that work is so limited its hard to prove. We don't have any good manuscripts of the Didache in Latin, only one that is much later and not a good witness to the text. In the mid 3rd century, Cyprian of Carthage wrote (in Latin) A Treatise on the Lord's Prayer, which is not a liturgical manual, but it is a commentary on liturgy. I can't find an open access Latin text to that, but there is an English translation to it here: https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/050704.htm.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Genuinely laughing my rear end off at him being called Hannibalus.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
A few pages back i asked for popular culture stuff about Rome, and I've been working my way slowly through Masters of Rome for a bit now, having tons of fun.
But, i gotta plug my boys David Drake and Eric Flint writing the funniest alternate history military sci fi set in Byzantine Rome. i brought my physical copies of the Belisarius books in my bags, and honestly enjoy them a lot. i think the ebooks are free, now, too. Pulpy, but surprisingly well researched in some aspects (or seems so, to me, the uneducated)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

packetmantis posted:

Genuinely laughing my rear end off at him being called Hannibalus.
bofa deez hannibalus

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
One of Constantine’s relatives (that he killed) was called Hannibalianus

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
On -us endings, why is it "Joseph" when it's the guy with the cool coat or Jesus' step-dad but "Josephus" when it's the historian? They're all named Yosef, right?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

On -us endings, why is it "Joseph" when it's the guy with the cool coat or Jesus' step-dad but "Josephus" when it's the historian? They're all named Yosef, right?

Josephus was an imperial freedman so had a proper Latin name. Other Yosefs were just some guy as far as Romans were concerned.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hbo bbc Rome had a whole Jewish side plot going that Sadly got axed with the rest of the show

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

Josephus was an imperial freedman so had a proper Latin name. Other Yosefs were just some guy as far as Romans were concerned.

Right. For those who don't know, Josephus was a commander during the Jewish revolt, who, after surviving a mass suicide "purely by chance", was captured by the Romans and became Vespasian's slave and translator. He then convinced Vespasian that Jewish scripture pointed to Vespasian as the promised messiah, and had a divine prophecy that said that Vespasian would become Emperor of Rome. Once Vespasian did, he set Josephus free and then Josephus was granted citizenship as Titus Flavius Josephus. (He then went on to marry four times and had three surviving sons, none of whom we know much about.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

euphronius posted:

Hbo bbc Rome had a whole Jewish side plot going that Sadly got axed with the rest of the show

I've heard that season 3 was going to be Jesus centered with the Jewish assassin bits of season 2 serving as a buildup for the whole Messiah craze that was going on in Judea with Jesus as only one of dozens

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Should've got ten seasons with Vorenus and Pullo just mysteriously being at the centre of events and never aging.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Should've got ten seasons with Vorenus and Pullo just mysteriously being at the centre of events and never aging.

It's a tragedy we lost both Deadwood and Rome before their time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That Deadwood movie did come out, Must've been zero advertising I didn't know until a couple weeks ago

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I was glad to get that, but would've preferred the show continue to its intended conclusion. :argh:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Easy done. They rejoin the legions in Judea, end up on watch duty at a bunch of crucifixions, Titus pokes some Jewish bloke claiming to be King of the Jews with a spear so they can knock off early. Wander the earth until Judgement day.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Elissimpark posted:

Easy done. They rejoin the legions in Judea, end up on watch duty at a bunch of crucifixions, Titus pokes some Jewish bloke claiming to be King of the Jews with a spear so they can knock off early. Wander the earth until Judgement day.

well even getting to that point probably makes them both over 100 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't Pullo's girl pregnant for like four years in season 2 anyway?