Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I guess technically he's much better at business than the people running yahoo at the time were.

I'm not sure that's saying much considering that a pack of golden retrievers could have run Yahoo better than their former management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What's the general public opinion on Siakim now? I haven't kept up with him or the Raptors, is he no longer considered an elite piece?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

iamsosmrt posted:

What's the general public opinion on Siakim now? I haven't kept up with him or the Raptors, is he no longer considered an elite piece?

I mean a disconcerting amount of the general public was making GBS threads on him after he put up 44/8/5 so people are getting frustrated with him. There are a few parts of his game which don't seem to be at the point one would've hoped them to be when he signed his contract (particularly decision-making), and he doesn't seem to solve Toronto's late game half court offence problem. I think there are worlds where it makes sense to trade him, though I do not know basketball well enough to know if you could get a return which is (1) at value and (2) lets you continue to compete through VanVleet and Anunoby's contracts.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Siakim is one of those players I know is supposed to be good but every time I watch him I just see some gangly pile of arms with tunnel vision trying to awkwardly drive through people or do some ugly spin move in the post. Like watching some barely coordinated 12 year old who is a foot taller than his class trying to play with them during recess.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know Siakam will ever be as good as he was the Championship year but I think he will certainly look better than he did this year. The whole Raptors team was like a step behind all year and I think that really hurts a guy like Siakam. If you assume he's a guy who's between those poles his mini-max contract is "fine". Though he isn't really a guy I'd like to have to build around.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If the Raptors would have won games, I don't know if Siakam would have had the same stigma. He started out really bad but by the end of the year he was like, maybe a half-step behind last year at best. Yeah, definitely worse, but.... his beginning of the season is what people remember.

Like I said, a half a step. Looking at either good ol' stats or advanced metrics, he was very nearly the same player he has been at the end of the day. I would not be terribly worried about Siakam going forward. Honestly, there's a couple of things that I see in here that I like. His shot wasn't falling, so he tweaked his game, and notably took less shots, increased his passing, cut his usage, got to the line more often, and at enough of a clip that his scoring dipped less than a single made field goal per contest, and, while his passing went up noticeably, his turnovers did not.

I would gladly have this kid on my team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Veryslightlymad posted:

If the Raptors would have won games, I don't know if Siakam would have had the same stigma. He started out really bad but by the end of the year he was like, maybe a half-step behind last year at best. Yeah, definitely worse, but.... his beginning of the season is what people remember.

Like I said, a half a step. Looking at either good ol' stats or advanced metrics, he was very nearly the same player he has been at the end of the day. I would not be terribly worried about Siakam going forward. Honestly, there's a couple of things that I see in here that I like. His shot wasn't falling, so he tweaked his game, and notably took less shots, increased his passing, cut his usage, got to the line more often, and at enough of a clip that his scoring dipped less than a single made field goal per contest, and, while his passing went up noticeably, his turnovers did not.

I would gladly have this kid on my team.

I don't disagree that he's still a good player but usually you don't want to see efficiency drop along with usage. Raptors also went from being the 2nd best defense to the 15th (RPM has his defense dropping off too) and the 6% drop in 3pt% is not a good thing. Like I said, I think he's actually better than that, the Raptors season sucked because of the move, but I do think its fair to call this a disappointing season from him. I just think there's context that makes it hopefully not a big deal.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lockback posted:

I don't disagree that he's still a good player but usually you don't want to see efficiency drop along with usage. Raptors also went from being the 2nd best defense to the 15th (RPM has his defense dropping off too) and the 6% drop in 3pt% is not a good thing. Like I said, I think he's actually better than that, the Raptors season sucked because of the move, but I do think its fair to call this a disappointing season from him. I just think there's context that makes it hopefully not a big deal.

I feel like this point in particular should be primarily attributed to the team not having a centre for three quarters of the year.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a step back, but it's a smaller step back than people talk about. And, the way I see it.... rmg.

If you knew a guy was going to shoot 6% worse from 3, but was going to play basically the exact same minutes, what would you want him to do differently? Well, you'd want him to pass more, shoot outside a little less, and when he does, to be a bit more aggressive in drawing contact and trying to get to the line. Hopefully, you take your lumps and his turnovers don't increase by a lot.

Siakam did all of that and his turnovers are the same (they actually went down, but it's a fraction of a percent). The 6% drop in 3pt shooting is definitely a concern, don't get me wrong, but by all rights, his season should have been a lot worse than it wound up. To me, that screams "this is a guy who can be coached". Siakam is a winning player.

And yeah, the loss of defense can be attributed to losing two of the best defensive bigs of the 2010s in the same offseason. Even if they were old and slow and one is probably more valuable now on offense.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As with most players who aren't as established, confidence seems to very much effect his play game to game and that confidence is very volatile. I think when the team had more dependable guys around he was better at keeping his energy/focus up while fighting through bad shooting nights, but when he was carrying all the weight his bad shooting would spiral to bad choices and even worse shooting.

He needs to spend the summer in the mountains staring off into the abyss and visualizing success. That and he needs to get back to Toronto. Tampa is no place to fortify the palace of our minds. He will return as a New and Clear Sighted Man

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know what the Siakam trade market looks like but he desperately needs a lesser role and I don't know how that would work on the Raptors.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i watched the klay 37 point quarter today. i’m gonna be sad if he’s never the same again

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

To me, that screams "this is a guy who can be coached"

To me it screams "this is a guy whose eFG% this season is .050 below Andrew Wiggins"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Andrew Wiggins is a very talented scorer so that's not the criticism you think it is

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

EmotionlessThug posted:

To me it screams "this is a guy whose eFG% this season is .050 below Andrew Wiggins"

Andrew Wiggins also has a higher eFG% than Nikola Vucevic, Devin Booker, Gordon Hayward, Bradley Beal, Donovan Mitchell, Julius Randle, Jimmy Butler, DeMar DeRozan and Jayson Tatum.

Like "shooting the ball effectively" is not Wiggins' problem.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To switch topics I was wondering what do people think is the ceiling for Tyrese Maxey?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Andrew Wiggins owns. I was a hater at the beginning of the year but he’s been more than solid. Everyone claiming he’s the same player he was in MIN looks like a fool tbh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wiggins is definitely a different player ie bad but in blue and yellow

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

having said that, trade that fuckin Max contract and who knows what playoff Wiggins does

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So can we all agree that the Lakers getting bounced in the play in would be pretty funny?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

To switch topics I was wondering what do people think is the ceiling for Tyrese Maxey?

dollar bin eric gordon, but not the good rockets version of eric gordon

Paperback Writer posted:

Andrew Wiggins owns. I was a hater at the beginning of the year but he’s been more than solid. Everyone claiming he’s the same player he was in MIN looks like a fool tbh

his 3 pointer is better, but as someone who watched a lot of him in minny and a lot of him this year, the news that he's a totally different player is overblown. it's also concerning that he's having a career low season for getting shots at the rim. that said, he's a whole lot better than oubre, and he's not being broken down by dray the same way jimmy got him, so taht's a plus.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Bench guard in the rotation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

i watched the klay 37 point quarter today. i’m gonna be sad if he’s never the same again

Literally changed the future of the nba . If he doesn’t do that I don’t think Durant goes to the warriors to turn them into a champion. Maybe KD goes to Brooklyn early ?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Wiggins is definitely a different player ie bad but in blue and yellow

He’s having the best season of his career by far but it’s entirely because his shooting percentages are way up on jumpers (of every kind). He’s actually shooting worse at and around the rim and he’s otherwise identical. That is to say: it’s a fluke

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 19, 2021

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Literally changed the future of the nba . If he doesn’t do that I don’t think Durant goes to the warriors to turn them into a champion. Maybe KD goes to Brooklyn early ?

lol what

e: they literally won the championship that year, two seasons before KD went there

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 19, 2021

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So can we all agree that the Lakers getting bounced in the play in would be pretty funny?

Yes that would be hilarious but it would also be fun to see the Suns put them down in the first round.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The warriors have a bad offense and a great to elite (regular season) defense but no one besides draymond has anything like good individual stats . I think the old problem of individual of defensive stats being bad is showing up here and Wiggins and the others are playing great defense . That would be the first time Wiggins has played great defense in his career afaict

It’s been fun watching the warriors this year. Interesting team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looking at the team numbers The warriors have the 3rd best opponent fg% and lots of blocks and turnovers. They are great on defense (regular season )

Non of their other team stats stand out except their own assists which is best in the league (and a notoriously bad stat) That could be funky score keeping but you wonder what it is all for considering their offense is bad

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

lol what

e: they literally won the championship that year, two seasons before KD went there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lol

i think the lakers are gonna kick the absolute poo poo out of the warriors tonight but I guess we will see

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think everyone rightly thinks the Lakers are way better but I think everyone also rightly understands there is an enticingly high potential for chaos in any "one game against Steph Curry" situation

only a minor form of chaos though because even then the Lakers will just stomp MEM/SAS

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I were the lakers I think the bigger worry is their own players going cold (partially due to the warriors D as discussed above) from the floor rather than a “curry explosion”. They could weather whatever curry throws at them i think

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

He’s having the best season of his career by far but it’s entirely because his shooting percentages are way up on jumpers (of every kind). He’s actually shooting worse at and around the rim and he’s otherwise identical. That is to say: it’s a fluke

Playing with passing savant Draymond and walking gravity singularity in Curry probably helps get better perimeter shots. In the games I've watched when he's on the floor without the floor without them I'm seeing the same horrible long 2s.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

If the lakers lose, it's because LeBron wants to punk DeMar one last time

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

euphronius posted:

If I were the lakers I think the bigger worry is their own players going cold (partially due to the warriors D as discussed above) from the floor rather than a “curry explosion”. They could weather whatever curry throws at them i think

Do you know where the Lakers d ranked this year?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

uggy posted:

Do you know where the Lakers d ranked this year?

You can’t take any regular season lakers stats seriously

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Dutchy posted:

enticingly high potential for chaos in any "one game against Steph Curry" situation

Yeah, this is what I'm banking on. Just stupid levels of half court 3s falling.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

You can’t take any regular season lakers stats seriously

So they're probably better than the league's best defense despite all of their injuries? Or will they be worse with AD and LeBron?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Steph will go cold and the only good play in game will be spurs v grizz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm banking on. Just stupid levels of half court 3s falling.

:same: