Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blunt damage done to a monster's head does KO damage. It's basically like a normal status; when the invisible KO damage meter hits 100%, the monster is KO'd, and the bar resets, with them requiring more damage to fill the bar again.

Yes, the Slugger skill only has 3 points, so getting it above 3 points does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Furthermore there's a pretty distinctive metallic banging sound when you do KO damage.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
Stun damage works on a buildup system like other status effects. Dealing blunt damage to the monster's head will build up stun damage until it hits a certain value and the monster is knocked over. After the stun, it'll take more stun damage to knock it over the next time. There's a "p'ching" sound that tells you when a hit dealt stun damage.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 19, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

of note is that exhaust damage done to the head also counts for K.O., so exhaust switch axes in sword form or amped in general will do it and also other stuff like exhaust coatings for bow or whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thank you everyone!

I can't tell the difference in the sound that my shield bash makes hitting in the tail vs the head. Am i just bad at hearing?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Furthermore there's a pretty distinctive metallic banging sound when you do KO damage.

There's also a yellow spark effect in addition to or behind your weapon's elemental effect, if you're a Bow user doing Absolute Power Shot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guilty posted:

Ooh can you post your build? I followed this one: https://youtu.be/a312_oq6RvI

Did the meteor cannon build because wasn't sure about HBG, but I'm looking to branch out into more HBGs. I really like the 0 deviation on meteor cannon, helps my terrible aim.

I'll pull the exact build out later today, but I did get VERY lucky with a Spare Shot 2 talisman with a 3 gem slot which enables crazy LBG/HBG builds. I think it's quite similar to this video's, I use Valk chest for the 3 gem slot instead of Rhenoplos Mail; I have an artillery gem somewhere else.

Off the top of my head it has Spare Shot 3, Artillery 3, Ammo Up 3, loads of attack boost (I might have reached 7?), actually I think it is more or less what's in that video but with Tigrex HBG instead of Meteor Cannon. It might not be the best option, but it is one of very few HBG with the machine gun mode as the special fire which is just awesome to use. Clusters are very fun but if you play online you have to be very careful when you use them, you can stunlock 3 allies at once crowded around a monster.

You can also get deviation down close to 0 very easily, it is only 2 level 1 gems if you have the space.

I still think LBG is better than HBG but it's a different, fun playstyle when you want to mix things up

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

you can stunlock 3 allies at once crowded around a monster.

This is exactly what I'm looking for

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

World: does Flinch Shot count as a wounding attack? This GL speedrun starts with a triple turn and then a flinch for the knockout on Alatreon. There's no actual wounding attack but they're getting crits on the head. Was that from the Flich or the wall bang itself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0l35HZiwqs

Pretty insane how good the positioning is. There's also a clutch to keep Alatreon in clagger state from which they combo directly into a slam on the head while dropping from the clutch. Makes it look so simple and easy.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Playing this has given me the itch to play World again, but I'm also afraid I'm going to absolutely miss QoL features and the movement wirebugs give you.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

v1ld posted:

World: does Flinch Shot count as a wounding attack? This GL speedrun starts with a triple turn and then a flinch for the knockout on Alatreon. There's no actual wounding attack but they're getting crits on the head. Was that from the Flich or the wall bang itself?

Pretty insane how good the positioning is. There's also a clutch to keep Alatreon in clagger state from which they combo directly into a slam on the head while dropping from the clutch. Makes it look so simple and easy.

Flinch shots do not count as wounding attacks. They actually dont wound at the start. You can tell because there is no damage indicator when they attack the head. They are just getting crits from 25% natural crit + 50% from weakness exploit and agitator.

Wounding gives less of a % damage increase the higher the hit zone a part has. Since Alatreons head is already such a high hit zone its not super necessary to wound it. The extra 20% affinity from weakness exploit would be the main benefit. The flinch shot at the beginning was for the knock down and more importantly to get alatreon straight into rage mode to proc their agitator skill

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

v1ld posted:

I don't think they wounded Alatreon's head there. Damage numbers on wounded body parts have four triangles surrounding them to indicate that they were benefiting from the wound. The damage numbers on Alatreon's head didn't have those markers as far as I could see.

That said, the clutch claw swipe attack that is used to turn the monster does contribute towards wounding a body part. It takes 3 swipes to wound, if I recall correctly. They only turned Alatreon twice at the beginning of that fight; if they had turned it a third time, they would have wounded the head (at the expense of ruining the wall bonk setup, of course)

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 19, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The flinch shot at the beginning was for the knock down and more importantly to get alatreon straight into rage mode to proc their agitator skill

Neat, makes sense.

JackGeneric posted:

I don't think they wounded Alatreon's head there. Damage numbers on wounded body parts have four triangles surrounding them to indicate that they were benefiting from the wound. The damage numbers on Alatreon's head didn't have those markers as far as I could see.

That said, the clutch claw swipe attack that is used to turn the monster does contribute towards wounding a body part. It takes 3 swipes to wound, if I recall correctly. They only turned Alatreon twice at the beginning of that fight; if they had turned it a third time, they would have wounded the head (at the expense of ruining the wall bonk setup, of course)

Good point on the damage indicator, hadn't realized I can use that to track wounded damage. It's 3 swipes + wounding attack for "light weapons" from another video I watched on the mechanic (GaijinHunter?).

I'm just moving into MR. Didn't really use the claw when I played Iceborne at release, so trying to be sure to use it this time even though GL doesn't need it as much.

Saxophone posted:

Playing this has given me the itch to play World again, but I'm also afraid I'm going to absolutely miss QoL features and the movement wirebugs give you.

I just went back to World from Rise, mostly to run Iceborne to completion and also to continue with GL which I've come to absolutely love using.

The wirebug is missed, for sure, as are the switch skills. But World's pace is great in and of itself - far more deliberate and less light-hearted. Feels a bit more difficult too, partly from slower/lesser healing and partly from tuning I think.

The maps are so much more detailed that I don't mind running around more than in Rise. There's a lot more going on in each map too, with the game's focus on the ecosystem.

I like the change of pace and looking forward to playing both of these games in parallel.

MP is a bit of a mixed bag. There's plenty of activity, most quests are full immediately. But there are folks jumping into LR/HR fights with end game MR gear. That can ruin the fight, as you'd expect. Won't be a problem in MR.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

v1ld posted:

But there are folks jumping into LR/HR fights with end game MR gear. That can ruin the fight, as you'd expect. Won't be a problem in MR.

Based on my experience, you will have the exact opposite problem in MR

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I do kinda want to jump back into world at some point. I never played ice borne and I barely did the endgame stuff in base world, wouldn’t mind restarting the free version on ps5 at some point

Is there a weapon in world that actually feels much better than the rise version? I would have so much trouble going back to World hammer for example

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

I do kinda want to jump back into world at some point. I never played ice borne and I barely did the endgame stuff in base world, wouldn’t mind restarting the free version on ps5 at some point

Is there a weapon in world that actually feels much better than the rise version? I would have so much trouble going back to World hammer for example

IG is pretty much the same. Only difference is the bugs really. Bugs are actually pretty good in IB but there are no dual color bugs.

Bow plays very similar as well.

Bowguns are still busted as hell in IB. But thats mostly endgame.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I much prefer Lance in World.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I don't really main a weapon anymore, the only ones I never use are the bowguns because they are boring.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SnS by a country mile. It was my main through most of IB but just doesn't click with me in Rise. They got rid of the amazing infinite pivot combo and cut the distance on advancing slash a ton. I enjoy the new stuff Rise introduced for the most part but there's a reason I used it for 300+ hunts in World and like 15 in Rise

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

^^^ 2nding SnS in IB.

It's cute that the first IB cutscene where you flag down the airship after finding a spot for camp has the old school wave to the balloon, balloon flashes a light back at you scene. Miss that in the new games.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I like Savage Axe mode better than Condensed Spinning Slash, but I don't know if CB was necessarily better in IB than it is in Rise.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
There's something about SnS that's just so unappealing in its design. The results are there so it's a fantastic weapon, but the visual flash isn't there. Charge Blade's got an SnS mode but there's the giant satisfying morph axe thing that's so much fun to use and even the charge Blade's SnS mode is bigger than regular SnS that makes it flashier. Dual blades I enjoy because there are still big flashy moves, especially the aerial twist thing. But SnS, other than the shoryuken, I can't think of any huge moves that's as visually catchy as other weapons.

Other than punching monsters to death with the Hi ninja bracelet. I really really really like that.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like Savage Axe mode better than Condensed Spinning Slash, but I don't know if CB was necessarily better in IB than it is in Rise.

CB over all feels like a bit of a miss for me in Rise. I like that Condensed Spinning Slash doesn't use phials like Savage Axe did. But its a pain in the rear end to bring out and it deactivates when you go into sword mode or sheathe. Means no wirefalling after taking a hit. So you have to roll around with your axe out to do good damage with it. I wouldn't mind it so much if phials on SAEDs werent so borked.

Axe Hopper owns at least.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
SnS really opens up when you utilize its ability to use items without sheathing. I mained SnS in world as a utility/wide-range support, and ended up building something similar with my Hi Ninja Sword set in Rise.

I also love flash bombs and hate fliers/fleeing monsters, and these mesh nicely together. I can never get flashes off quickly enough with other weapons.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

CB over all feels like a bit of a miss for me in Rise. I like that Condensed Spinning Slash doesn't use phials like Savage Axe did. But its a pain in the rear end to bring out and it deactivates when you go into sword mode or sheathe. Means no wirefalling after taking a hit. So you have to roll around with your axe out to do good damage with it. I wouldn't mind it so much if phials on SAEDs werent so borked.

I feel like the SAED is way less generous in Rise than it was in previous games. I've watched so many World/IB videos where the attack lands like an inch (of screen width) away from the monster and it [and the phials] still hit.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I am confused. I did all the Village quests in Rise but nothing happened. I got all red checkmarks next to the different star ratings, except for rank 7 which is blue.
Hewp hewppp

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I am confused. I did all the Village quests in Rise but nothing happened. I got all red checkmarks next to the different star ratings, except for rank 7 which is blue.
Hewp hewppp

Did you also work your way through the Hub and beat the "last" boss? That might be it.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I just found out recently that hitting X out of Counter Peak Performance's guard point puts you into Condensed Spinning Slash mode (or charges your sword if you have Condensed Element Slash on), if that helps. Lets you open the fight in axe mode and stay in on the monster rather than rolling out of every attack. Between that and figuring out the weird timing to perform Elemental Discharge II from Advancing Morph, I'm more comfortable with savage axe in Rise now.

The loss of wirefall when everything knocks you on your rear end for 5 seconds still bites, though.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did you also work your way through the Hub and beat the "last" boss? That might be it.

Oh

Yeah that’s it then

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

I feel like the SAED is way less generous in Rise than it was in previous games. I've watched so many World/IB videos where the attack lands like an inch (of screen width) away from the monster and it [and the phials] still hit.

Didn't they change the SAED explosions pattern for impact phials in Rise? Thought I read that. It's definitely less easy to land in Rise and I was going for AEDs, since all 3 of those explosions are at the point of contact.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

v1ld posted:

Didn't they change the SAED explosions pattern for impact phials in Rise? Thought I read that. It's definitely less easy to land in Rise and I was going for AEDs, since all 3 of those explosions are at the point of contact.

Impact is linear and element fans out, I believe. I am really, REALLY, REALLY just impressively bad at landing AEDs. Just like the world champion at being bad at it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I gave SwSh a fair try yesterday. One thing I really do like are the shield strikes, like a more rapid hammer.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This is my first MonHun game and I loving love SnS. I feel like I spend a ton of time in the air whiffing Falling shield slams and its great

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guilty posted:

There's something about SnS that's just so unappealing in its design. The results are there so it's a fantastic weapon, but the visual flash isn't there. Charge Blade's got an SnS mode but there's the giant satisfying morph axe thing that's so much fun to use and even the charge Blade's SnS mode is bigger than regular SnS that makes it flashier. Dual blades I enjoy because there are still big flashy moves, especially the aerial twist thing. But SnS, other than the shoryuken, I can't think of any huge moves that's as visually catchy as other weapons.

Other than punching monsters to death with the Hi ninja bracelet. I really really really like that.

THe back hop into aerial launch looks pretty cool to me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
You know what for SnS just throw out the Sword. Let me bash the gently caress outta monsters with a shield.

EDIT: Make me anime cavepunk captain america is what I am saying

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 20, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They should just make gauntlet weapons already.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hellioning posted:

They should just make gauntlet weapons already.

They already did - they just need to be dug out of Frontier's grave.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if instead of a weapon you can play as a Palamute.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The secret to SnS in Rise is learning how to do the shoryuken while setting off a bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Great Sword continues to be a tricky weapon for me. I want to make a good True Charge Slash GS, but Rage Slash seems completely superior for an averagely-skilled player. It doesn't really need focus, you have super armor while charging the final hit, and can turn it 360-degrees. The only down side is less damage than TCS, but I get it off so much more often I end up doing hunts much faster with Rage Slash.

Any build tips or gameplay tips from people who have GS figured out with TCS? My flow is just not there.