Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Flayer posted:

Deathrattle Demon Hunter is legitimately good deck, been having some really nice games with it.

Does it feel like N'zoth is pulling its weight in that deck? The people at Vicious Syndicate are pretty convinced that its overkill against control decks and worthless against anything faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Intentional Controversy - Every deck currently featuring C’Thun would be improved by swapping him to Yogg.

Spell C'thun mage works, but swapping it to Yogg breaks Apexis, FOnt of Power, and maybe whiffs a little on refreshing springwater.

Olpainless posted:

Addendum - any deck with cthun or yogg can be improved with basically any other card.

This is probably true of the deck, but I ain't making the change.

The deck was better (more fun) before rotation when you had more control options so you could play a longer game and get to play C'thun. Now you have less survivability, so You usually have to leverage tempo into lethal before you run out of board clears.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

sirtommygunn posted:

Does it feel like N'zoth is pulling its weight in that deck? The people at Vicious Syndicate are pretty convinced that its overkill against control decks and worthless against anything faster.
No it's a good card in the deck not least because bringing back an Inquisitor can be a game winning play right there. Apart from bringing back Inquisitors it basically acts as a second better but more expensive Blackthorn and is capable of closing out games via board control. The deck does have a problem with inconsistent draw (Skull is obviously great but that's all you get apart from lucking into something off Illidari Studies) so having some serious value cards is important.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I wish there was a random portrait option like random card back.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just lost a 75%/10%/15% match. Followed by a 36/30/34. Then a 60/18/22. And finally died on a 91/4/5 with 1% lethal.
Clearly I shouldn't be playing battlegrounds.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Pardot posted:

Wish received, everybody gets an Amalgadon hero. That takes 10 slots in the collection because there's some weirdness with the portrait code that doesn't allow a single portrait to be multiclassed.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Flayer posted:

No it's a good card in the deck not least because bringing back an Inquisitor can be a game winning play right there. Apart from bringing back Inquisitors it basically acts as a second better but more expensive Blackthorn and is capable of closing out games via board control. The deck does have a problem with inconsistent draw (Skull is obviously great but that's all you get apart from lucking into something off Illidari Studies) so having some serious value cards is important.

Do the Felsteel Executioners carry their weight or are they just valuable for the four durability weapon? Could you swap them for Trueaim Crescents?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Keep:
Sword (Keep Northwatch Commander if you have it with sword)
Knight of Anointment/Righteous Protector
Hand of Adal
Kazakus
Redscale Dragontamer (or Murgur but I prefer these)

Most combinations of these will get you there. Knight on 1 into Hand on 2 is Really Good, and one of the best ways to open in the mirror. I tried keeping First Day of School early on but I found I'd rather draw it when I'll be able to play most of the minions if I highroll. Redscales will draw you your Carousel Griffon Corrupters. Sword is good for obvious reasons, as is Kazakus.

Went 9-15 with this so must be doing something really wrong. When you say you're closing out by turn 8 are you rushing people down with convictions and trying to draw your finishers?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fanny packrat posted:

Do the Felsteel Executioners carry their weight or are they just valuable for the four durability weapon? Could you swap them for Trueaim Crescents?

Felsteels are super good imo, can be a body in a pinch and having a big weapon lets you burst hard w/ Illidari Inquisitors.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Acerbatus posted:

Felsteels are super good imo, can be a body in a pinch and having a big weapon lets you burst hard w/ Illidari Inquisitors.

Yeah, that's pretty much the answer I was expecting. I guess I'll splurge on the dust if I hit legend this month.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pardot posted:

The devs have said they’re working on that whenever asked.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Strawberry Panda posted:

Went 9-15 with this so must be doing something really wrong. When you say you're closing out by turn 8 are you rushing people down with convictions and trying to draw your finishers?

I am. I’m not sure how you’re playing but I play it like I played face Hunter back in Scholomance and ignore everything on the board that isn’t an Immediate Problem and just push face damage as hard as I can. Thankfully it seems to have a high enough density of taunts that my opponent has to make trades for me instead of me trading into their minions.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I am. I’m not sure how you’re playing but I play it like I played face Hunter back in Scholomance and ignore everything on the board that isn’t an Immediate Problem and just push face damage as hard as I can. Thankfully it seems to have a high enough density of taunts that my opponent has to make trades for me instead of me trading into their minions.

That's definitely my issue, playing too much for board instead of going YOLO with it.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

That's definitely my issue, playing too much for board instead of going YOLO with it.

Yeah. You run enough taunts that you can make your opponent play for board while you punch them in the head.

Unless you’re playing Rush Warrior in which case good luck. That matchup isn’t great.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Chernabog posted:

Just lost a 75%/10%/15% match. Followed by a 36/30/34. Then a 60/18/22. And finally died on a 91/4/5 with 1% lethal.
Clearly I shouldn't be playing battlegrounds.

Yikes. For what it's worth I've been on the giving end of odds like that and usually I've decided to get up and put the kettle on because it looks like a lost cause and then I'm roping my next minion purchase!

On the subject of battlegrounds, since I hit 3000 rating players have gotten a lot smarter. I can't really get away with stacking one clan unless it's insanely lucky like a very early Goldgrubber or Toxifin spam through Primalfin Lookout. Then again I'm not exactly sure what the meta is right now, or where to read up on it, beyond "Quilboar is no longer busted but is still the best clan".

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

fanny packrat posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the answer I was expecting. I guess I'll splurge on the dust if I hit legend this month.
I'd echo that opinion about Felsteels. The 4 attack is very useful, it's not just the 3 durability (which is also critical of course due to how you can set up Inquisitors). The versatility of being a minion in a pinch has also proven useful and gives another option to rescue yourself from a bad mulligan and early draw. The one card I wouldn't bother crafting and I have seen in this deck is Al'Ar which for me was always disappointing, especially in comparison to Darkspear. The additional synergy with N'Zoth is not worth it at all compared to having another 4 drop for Beastmaster to pull.

Of course there are also some versions of Deathrattle DH that completely do away with the whole Inquisitor package altogether so you might want to look into those as well but for me they lacked the cutting edge to close out games and compete with the best meta decks from Mage and Pally.

Also I've got to say that I have a new found respect for Glide since I've started playing this deck. Not as an include but rather as a situational discover off Illidari Studies. Has completely broken my opponent more than once now, definitely a card I'm happy to be offered in a few match ups.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Flayer posted:

Deathrattle Demon Hunter is legitimately good deck, been having some really nice games with it.

### Deathrattle
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Tuskpiercer
# 2x (2) Razorboar
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) Death's Head Cultist
# 2x (3) Felsteel Executioner
# 2x (3) Razorfen Beastmaster
# 1x (4) Darkspear Berserker
# 2x (4) Fishy Flyer
# 2x (4) Raging Felscreamer
# 2x (4) Renowned Performer
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
# 1x (7) Death Speaker Blackthorn
# 2x (8) Illidari Inquisitor
# 1x (9) N'Zoth, God of the Deep
#
AAECAaerBASb2AOZ6gO/7QOoigQN2cYD/tEDh9QDyd0D194D8+MDmOoDu+0DvO0D/e0DwvEDgIUE1J8EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I think this is probably the best version of it at the moment. Those Inquisitors give it the little kick it needs to pressure down opponents.

This is fun, thanks. I was having trouble finding a fun deck to climb to dad legend this month and I was only missing Blackstone.

No regrets on crafting him but I'm more impressed at how N'Zoth is performing.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

DeadButDelicious posted:

On the subject of battlegrounds, since I hit 3000 rating players have gotten a lot smarter. I can't really get away with stacking one clan unless it's insanely lucky like a very early Goldgrubber or Toxifin spam through Primalfin Lookout. Then again I'm not exactly sure what the meta is right now, or where to read up on it, beyond "Quilboar is no longer busted but is still the best clan".

Yeah, you really can't commit to a tribe until turn 5 at the earliest (outside of a few exceptional circumstances, or mechs or demons if you're aiming for top 4). I think a good way to think about it is that you don't really have a build / tribe until you have a way to scale your entire board consistently (i.e. not just from finding buff cards) - otherwise you just have a bunch of (hopefully good) minions that don't really have any tribal synergy even if they happen to be the same tribe.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

New VS report

Spoiler: paladin is still the best class and nothings really changed besides mage being worse and everyone getting greedier

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Definitely agree on paladin being very strong. I just made legend for the second month in a row with this deck, 9-0 from d5 to d2 then about 2/3 win rate from there. Faced mostly mages, druids, priests and other paladins, a couple of warriors and rogues and one hunter.

First day of school definitely doesn't feel like a nerf, you can't do the 2 minions on turn 1 play to guarantee a hand of adal target but you get a lot more utility from the extra 1 drop. Had infectious sporeling be absolutely clutch in 2 games, using it to clear a big minion then turn one of my unbuffed minions into one ready to use as a clear the next turn.

Reckoning is a great card, you can just not worry about not being able to clear a 3 attack minion around turn 3-4 and people often don't play around it.

I play the deck in a control style, almost always focusing on battling for board control, getting the librams really cheap, not over committing to the board, setting up 4x libram of hope for the endgame and using the pen finger with 0 cost spells for late game removal.

Hard mulligan for everything 1 and 2 mana apart from pen finger and the secrets. Establishing and holding the board early is key, make sure to play around hysteria and not buff minions above 4 attack against priest.

No one played ooze against me which is crazy considering this is a popular meta deck that runs 5 weapons.

### Secret Libram Paladin
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Aldor Attendant
# 2x (1) First Day of School
# 1x (1) Galloping Savior
# 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
# 2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
# 1x (1) Pen Flinger
# 1x (1) Reckoning
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 2x (2) Libram of Wisdom
# 2x (2) Sword of the Fallen
# 2x (3) Northwatch Commander
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 2x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
# 1x (5) Libram of Justice
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Hammer of the Naaru
# 1x (7) Lady Liadrin
# 1x (7) Libram of Judgment
# 2x (9) Libram of Hope
#
AAECAZ8FCsq4A4TBA5/NA4XeA/3jA/voA5HsA9vuA9D3A6iKBAr9uAPquQPruQPsuQPKwQOezQOD3gPM6wPO6wPP6wMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Shouldn't we be hearing about the mini-set about right now? It should be released in about two weeks if they intend to follow the release schedule set by Darkmoon Faire/Races.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think they only announced Darkmoon Races 2 days before the release.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
drat, I'm glad I've been saving gold. I may have had more epics by now, but I'm glad to have the gold to afford the mini-set without effort, unlike last time, it took me at minimum an extra week.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I hate how people are still complaining about mage when Paladin has been more or less the only class in Tier 1 the entire expansion.

Yes, it's the tier 3 deck that needs to be nerfed, that's definitely the problem with Hearthstone today.

I've mained spell mage since the original package came out, and I'm glad it's no longer omnipresent, it's great and fun as a tier 3 deck.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Yeah. You run enough taunts that you can make your opponent play for board while you punch them in the head.

Unless you’re playing Rush Warrior in which case good luck. That matchup isn’t great.

Yep this is totally working now. Early Hands and convictions are tough for people to deal with.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wish there was more than one Mage deck at the moment. I loved playing Highlander Control Mage but it seems like the only viable Control decks at the moment are Warlock and Priest.

Thinking about it for a moment, it seems like C'Thun was intended to replace the Highlander and Galakrond value kit as the go-to for building Control decks for all classes, but even in the decks it gets played in it's not very good. Here's hoping the next expansion can somehow bring back my favourite archetypes : Mage/Rogue Mid-range/Control. Hell, I'd even settle for Control Warrior (but not the super fatigue build from the mech era, thanks).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

enki42 posted:

I hate how people are still complaining about mage when Paladin has been more or less the only class in Tier 1 the entire expansion.

Yes, it's the tier 3 deck that needs to be nerfed, that's definitely the problem with Hearthstone today.

I've mained spell mage since the original package came out, and I'm glad it's no longer omnipresent, it's great and fun as a tier 3 deck.

It's probably because at the end of the day, Paladin still needs to play minions on board and actually connect them with your face. Spell Mage wins games by playing random bullshit and then rips your face off with fireballs and masks and whatever.
I think most people will always see minion based decks/classes as more "fair" then caster classes like Mage or Priest.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's probably because at the end of the day, Paladin still needs to play minions on board and actually connect them with your face. Spell Mage wins games by playing random bullshit and then rips your face off with fireballs and masks and whatever.
I think most people will always see minion based decks/classes as more "fair" then caster classes like Mage or Priest.

Yeah I think it's because certain decks like Control Warlock or Rush Warrior can't really do anything if you never play minions on board.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Mage nerf, while technically effective statistically, is just confusing because it's the exact opposite spirit of how the Imprisoned Scrap Imp situation was handled previously. So now Mage is a shade under 50%, but is even more polarized based on if they play Incanter's Flow on Turn 1/2... which is exactly the situation they were trying to get away from when scrap imp was first nerfed.

And again I'm stunned the buffs didn't help Ping or Minion Mage (e.g. buff Wildfire to 1 mana) to help further get players off the dumb highroll and to support the battle-ready deck.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yep this is totally working now. Early Hands and convictions are tough for people to deal with.

Glad you got it to work for you!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Mage actually has a half decent control package with the abundance of frost stuff, the only problem is there's no win condition to go along with it (C'Thun is way too slow if it's literally the only way you win, and Mordresh requires too much of your deck and doesn't work if you haven't been pressuring your opponents health throughout the game.)

Hopefully there's some sort of finisher in the miniset.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Kalko posted:

I wish there was more than one Mage deck at the moment. I loved playing Highlander Control Mage but it seems like the only viable Control decks at the moment are Warlock and Priest.

Thinking about it for a moment, it seems like C'Thun was intended to replace the Highlander and Galakrond value kit as the go-to for building Control decks for all classes, but even in the decks it gets played in it's not very good. Here's hoping the next expansion can somehow bring back my favourite archetypes : Mage/Rogue Mid-range/Control. Hell, I'd even settle for Control Warrior (but not the super fatigue build from the mech era, thanks).

I really miss Enrage Warrior, must fun Warrior deck I've played since Patron. RIP Risky Skipper.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Boatswain posted:

RIP Risky Skipper.

NO LOLLYGAGGIN

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Secret rogue is actually very legit right now with all the buff/Libram Pally running around, stunners are a massive tempo swing and they never play around ambush

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I had 2 play druid quests so I got this from hsreplay and have had more opponent reactions (a rage add and lots of 'wow' emotes) in 5 games than the last month together.

You can reliably get a massive tempo swing on t3/4 depending on which extra mana spells you get, dropping a full board of minions and buffing them for a quick win. Currently 4 wins from 5.

### Token Druid
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Gibberling
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 1x (1) Resizing Pouch
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Fungal Fortunes
# 2x (4) Pride's Fury
# 1x (4) Soul of the Forest
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (5) Glowfly Swarm
#
AAECAbSKAwKP5APXnwQO5boD77oD+cwDm84DudID8NQDieADiuAD0eEDjOQDrewDs+wDrp8E2Z8EAA==
#

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

GTO posted:

I had 2 play druid quests so I got this from hsreplay and have had more opponent reactions (a rage add and lots of 'wow' emotes) in 5 games than the last month together.

You can reliably get a massive tempo swing on t3/4 depending on which extra mana spells you get, dropping a full board of minions and buffing them for a quick win. Currently 4 wins from 5.

### Token Druid
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Gibberling
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 1x (1) Resizing Pouch
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Fungal Fortunes
# 2x (4) Pride's Fury
# 1x (4) Soul of the Forest
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (5) Glowfly Swarm
#
AAECAbSKAwKP5APXnwQO5boD77oD+cwDm84DudID8NQDieADiuAD0eEDjOQDrewDs+wDrp8E2Z8EAA==
#

What situations do you use Pride's Fury for? I've found that card to be useless too often and replaced it with Guff and a Soul of the Forest. Just wondering if there are matchup where it shines noticeably.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I was playing this deck a lot last night and used the second build first that cut safety inspectors and went 9-2. Then there was a slightly refined list posted in the vS discord that I tried after and went 3-1. Deck is good, but safety inspectors aren’t necessary. Here’s the most recent list I played:

### Nzoth refine 2
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Conviction (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) First Day of School
# 2x (1) Galloping Savior
# 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
# 2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
# 2x (2) Redscale Dragontamer
# 2x (2) Sword of the Fallen
# 2x (3) Northwatch Commander
# 1x (4) Kazakus, Golem Shaper
# 2x (5) Carousel Gryphon
# 2x (6) Dragonmaw Sky Stalker
# 2x (6) Hammer of the Naaru
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
# 1x (9) N'Zoth, God of the Deep
#
AAECAYsWBPy4A5vYA/zoA7CKBA3ivgPKwQOezQOD3gOF3gP53gON4QPM6wPO6wPP6wPj6wPb7gPJoAQA
#

I switched over to this and this deck is real good. Good at filling the board and keeping the pressure up.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

What situations do you use Pride's Fury for? I've found that card to be useless too often and replaced it with Guff and a Soul of the Forest. Just wondering if there are matchup where it shines noticeably.

Pride's Fury is core in the deck and is part of big combo turns to lock in a win, especially when paired with Solar Ecllipse. It's probably quicker to name matchups where it isn't as good, which are vs Priest and OTK DH where they can punish you for over-committing.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
A turn 7 solar eclipse > arbor up is downright disgusting (if not a little greedy) if you have board presence and can watch out for those pesky flamestrikes. A fun combo is glowfly swarm on 5, into solar eclipse + pride's fury on 6 to potentially flood the board with 4/8s. Or you could go power of the wild into soul of the forest on turn 6 and have a bunch of 3/3s that deathrattle into 2/2s. It's very flexible around that midpoint especially since people have cottoned on that it's worth coining to destroy the gibberling if need be.,

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

AnacondaHL posted:

Pride's Fury is core in the deck and is part of big combo turns to lock in a win, especially when paired with Solar Ecllipse. It's probably quicker to name matchups where it isn't as good, which are vs Priest and OTK DH where they can punish you for over-committing.

I've found pride's fury to be super annoying to play against as priest because it makes boards you can't soul mirror.