Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krustic posted:

The pentatonic scale is one of the few scales I know, but it's great. Highly recommended to try and add it into your practice routine.

The video is less about the pentatonic scale and more about CAGED, although at the end he shows how the caged forms overlap the pentatonic scale.

The pentatonic scale makes sense to learn first though for sure, because its basically the skeleton of most other scales, major and minor are just the pentatonic plus a few more notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Zaphod42 posted:

The video is less about the pentatonic scale and more about CAGED, although at the end he shows how the caged forms overlap the pentatonic scale.

The pentatonic scale makes sense to learn first though for sure, because its basically the skeleton of most other scales, major and minor are just the pentatonic plus a few more notes.

Yeah I couldn't really speak much to the CAGED system since I don't know much about it except the chords. I only know the major, minor, and pentatonic scales and you can do quite a bit just with those. I've been playing for a long time but I'm still a beginner.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Huxley posted:

CAGED clicks for me in bits in pieces.

Like this bit in Modern Chord Progressions I was fiddling with last week. It said

Here's a movable C major shape:

x
x

Now move it up two frets. D major. Two more, E major. Now move it down one from C. B major. Down two more, A major ... down two more and think about it a second.

Oh hell, this thing is just a G barre chord.

Maybe this is a little pedantic but it's not really a G or a C, is it? If you move it down to the G position wouldn't you call it a G/B or something? Maybe I'm just not hip to 'modern' stuff - at least where I am currently I always have the root note at the bottom.

I think I get your point though, there's all sorts of voicings hidden in the standard barre chords.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 19, 2021

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

From many pages (three days) ago:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

sup fellow classical players. anyone else ITT play nylon string guitar as their main?

For the past month or so, yeah. I've kind of reached this awkward spot in my learning where I'm a bit bored with playing basic chords over songs. I'm ready to move on from beginner stuff, so I needed to decide what I want to focus on. I decided I would like to try some solo guitar, like classical or fingerstyle or something along those lines. Classical seemed like a good fit. I found a few pieces I liked and there's plenty of instructional material and literally hundreds of years of songs composed for it. So I've been focusing on classical lately. I'm excited to have so much interesting material to learn.

Do you use a guitar support? I've just been putting my foot up on a box.

I've also noticed the tuning on the classical guitar changes a lot faster than my electrics or acoustic. It's not uncommon for the other guitars to not even need any tuning after a day or two, but every day the nylon string drops a couple cents, especially the wound strings.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mozi posted:

Maybe this is a little pedantic but it's not really a G or a C, is it? If you move it down to the G position wouldn't you call it a G/B or something? Maybe I'm just not hip to 'modern' stuff - at least where I am currently I always have the root note at the bottom.

I think I get your point though, there's all sorts of voicings hidden in the standard barre chords.

You could write it as G/B (or a D6sus or a Bm(b6) or whatever depending on the context) but in a vacuum it's still a G major chord because it's got the one, major third and fifth of G.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

Yeah, you'll see that B-on-top inversion named G/B a lot, particularly when that B is part of a moving baseline. But I think it's fine to call it just a normal chord when you're messing around with that moving shape since there's not really any context to it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ColdPie posted:

I've also noticed the tuning on the classical guitar changes a lot faster than my electrics or acoustic. It's not uncommon for the other guitars to not even need any tuning after a day or two, but every day the nylon string drops a couple cents, especially the wound strings.

Ugh, this. It was quite a wakeup call for me. I used to take my steel string out by the campfire and play all night. Do that same thing with a nylon and you'll lose tune every time the temperature and barometric pressure shifts

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Do you use a guitar support? I've just been putting my foot up on a box.

already posted, but i use this support: https://www.stringsbymail.com/ergoplay-troster-guitar-support-3737.html i'm fairly tall so it's good for me to have a lot of height options on my support.

tuning and nail care on classical are similar, you gotta do them constantly. i remember telling my guitar teacher my nails were always choppy and asking for help, and he just said "well, you're buffing them every day before you play, right?" ohh, uhh...no, that makes a lot of sense though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Huxley posted:

Yeah, you'll see that B-on-top inversion named G/B a lot, particularly when that B is part of a moving baseline. But I think it's fine to call it just a normal chord when you're messing around with that moving shape since there's not really any context to it.

Yeah I was thinking about this more and realized that given that B is part of the normal chord it's really just a different voicing of a regular chord. Sorry for being a nit!

I use this for a guitar support, it's not as nice or nifty as the one above but it's cheap and you can toss it around.

I've been doing my nails every other day but any less often and it gets annoying. It's nice having built-in picks on your fingers but the advantage of a normal pick is it tends to stay the same shape...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

Any hitchhiker's thumb-havers in here? Lately I've been doing more barre chord stuff further up the neck of my acoustic and I've started to feel discomfort and sometimes pain in the most distal thumb joint. This is something I was hoping to get figured out with an instructor when I start seeing one again, but I'm more concerned about it now that the pain is pretty consistent.

I really don't know how to do them without hyperextending the thumb.

To try and help with this... obviously not seeing it in person means it's hard to say really, but just from my own experience of doing things wrong, getting thumb pain, changing things and then not having pain anymore, I'll throw out a couple of tips:

- Don't have your thumb like this, arched out with all the force going directly through it:

- Do this instead, a little flatter and to the side:

- And if your fingers are kind of spread out, don't put your thumb way up front like this:

- But try to put it more in the middle of where the combined force from your fingers is:

And obviously - try to use as little pressure as possible. It's far better to jam another finger on top of the barre if possible to assist with a tricky note than it is to press harder with your current fingers. And don't push it once you start getting tired, take a minute and massage it out a bit.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Mozi posted:

Good advice on thumb position.

And if someone didn’t already mention it, do some finger exercises on the fretboard every day. It’ll help massively. I was playing last night and kind of amazed at how little pressure I actually use to fret a note. It seems counterintuitive, but you aren’t building strength in order to press harder. It’s kinda the opposite.

Robot Arms fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 19, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
e: Maybe this should go in the DIY thread.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 19, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks!

Here's some pics I took last night. My understanding is that this is bad, but it's mostly how I've been making them all this time:

And this is good?

Problem is that the latter one puts some lateral stress on the thumb and it feels pretty bad too. It's also unstable doesn't provide a lot of leverage as the force angle is a bit oblique, so I need to press harder when doing it this way :negative:

I'm trying to do full voiced minor 7s in those pics and it's really hard to get the center strings to ring out without death gripping because they are always under a meaty part of my finger and no amount of moving the drat finger around seems to help :argh:

Regardless, the pain/discomfort has gotten persistent even when not playing, so I need to take a break for a bit or just stick with open chords for now.

Robot Arms posted:

And if someone didn’t already mention it, do some finger exercises on the fretboard every day. It’ll help massively. I was playing last night and kind of amazed at how little pressure I actually use to fret a note. It seems counterintuitive, but you aren’t building strength in order to press harder. It’s kinda the opposite.

I don't do any because I'm dumb :(

What do you recommend for this kind of thing?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 20, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Your thumb looks pretty crazy there :stonk:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Your thumb looks pretty crazy there :stonk:

Like I said, hyperextending is just what it does. It looks like some mutant poo poo but there's really not a lot of pressure on it. Or, at least it doesn't feel like it .

Unless you're referring to the scar in which case I'll just say it's a story for another day

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

laughing about that drake and josh episode where josh plugged drake's guitar into a faulty amp and it somehow made the guitar burst into flames.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i actually recently have started putting my thumb closer to the other side if the neck (opposite/further from my body), off-center, when doing barres and i feel like it helps with some of the trickier shapes. it naturally causes my fingers to curve and angle more appropriately plus gives me a bit better leverage against the neck. still get sore on some songs that are almost entirely barres though so maybe i will keep experimenting

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Like I said, hyperextending is just what it does. It looks like some mutant poo poo but there's really not a lot of pressure on it. Or, at least it doesn't feel like it .

Unless you're referring to the scar in which case I'll just say it's a story for another day

Hey hyperextending thumb buddy

I had similar issues at first. Take a break if the pain becomes persistent 'cause you don't want to hurt yourself. I don't have any tips except that I found that it slowly got better as I practiced more and learned how to control the pressure I'm putting into it, and now it doesn't hurt. Only thing maybe is to make sure to make sure to angle your index a bit so it's easier to barre the strings.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Mak0rz posted:

What do you recommend for this kind of thing?

There are tons of variations. I start every session by going 1234 (fingers) on any 4 frets. Start on the E string, go 1234, then move to the next string. Then every combination of two fingers (12, 13, 14, 23, etc.). Then 1424, 1434, 2434, and so on. It just takes a minute, but it’s hard as hell when you’re just getting started. Later it just gets you warmed up.

Search “finger exercises for guitar” and you’ll get lots of options.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Mak0rz posted:

what up hitchhiker's thumb pal

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

And this is good?

Problem is that the latter one puts some lateral stress on the thumb and it feels pretty bad too. It's also unstable doesn't provide a lot of leverage as the force angle is a bit oblique, so I need to press harder when doing it this way :negative:

Hm - I might shift it down a just bit towards the middle maybe? I feel like the force is pushing into the middle of the pad of my thumb right down into the hand, as opposed to into the tip or the knuckle. But we do have rather different thumbs so just listen to these folks...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

this isn’t advice anyone game me but i think one thing i’m gonna try to do is try to listen to the music in my head. like, just write little tunes to myself until it becomes natural.

that sort of thing occurs all the time if i’m already working on something. i’ve stopped in the middle of working on a song to take a shower and written new melodies in my head, came out, put them in, and they worked.

another thing is that when i’m inspired my impulse has been to write lyrics, when it should be to grab the guitar.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
So I just made a poor financial decision but hopefully a good life decision and bought a Cordoba C5 along with the Chris parkening method vol 1. Any "wish I'd done this starting out" tips beyond find a teacher (in the plans but I'm not fully vacced yet)?

Wonderful guitar btw, spent 2 hours working on the book yesterday and only stopped because I had work in the morning.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Sarrisan posted:

So I just made a poor financial decision but hopefully a good life decision and bought a Cordoba C5 along with the Chris parkening method vol 1. Any "wish I'd done this starting out" tips beyond find a teacher (in the plans but I'm not fully vacced yet)?

Wonderful guitar btw, spent 2 hours working on the book yesterday and only stopped because I had work in the morning.

Use a metronome

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

beer gas canister posted:

Use a metronome

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

beer gas canister posted:

Use a metronome

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

What kind of metronome do you all use? I pratice with a drum machine but it only does 4/4.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Sarrisan posted:

awesome!

i actually have a membership on https://www.classicalguitarcorner.com and that's how i do all my lessons. works out to be cheaper than i used to pay for an in-person teacher biweekly and you actually get a curriculum with videos you can revisit, etc. so if you're looking to do online education, that's an option (and i'm sure there are other good sites as well).

use a metronome, don't neglect fundamentals like open string work. if i were to start over, i would have played only open strings for like two weeks before trying to incorporate the left hand.

disclaimer: i haven't used the parkening book, but heard about the following from Christopher Berg's writing: parkening says he doesn't like to practice scales for technique, favoring repertoire, an approach i strongly disagree with (Berg writes about it here https://blog.christopherberg.com/2015/06/22/practice_05/, and in his excellent book "Practicing Music by Design"). don't neglect scales and arpeggio studies, they're the foundation for everything that comes after.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krustic posted:

What kind of metronome do you all use? I pratice with a drum machine but it only does 4/4.

I have the Soundbrenner app on my phone. It's got ads for their products and probably some kind of subscription service attached for other stuff, but the actual metronome is free and very versatile. You can set it anywhere from 1/1 to 16/8 and change the tone on each beat to one of 3 tones.

So if you're in 5/4 and want pings on 1 and 4 and pongs on 2, 3, and 5 (or whatever) you can really make it do what you want. Plus it has a tap button.

It's either that or google's built-in metronome.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Krustic posted:

I use the iOS app I wrote because it has a timer (so you can do 120 bpm for 2.5 minutes to whatever) but I haven't updated it in so long it got removed form the store. :smith: Maybe I will update it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have a korg metronone I use but mostly I use a drum machine.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I realized that the app I use to tune my classical guitar all the time (fender tune) has a metronome and a bunch of cheesy drum loops built in. It doesn't have the ability to change the tone on the beats though so i'm gonna check out the soundbrenner one. That sounds useful.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i have a little wind up metronome that i like to use https://wittner-gmbh.de/mobil/wittner_metronome_super_mini_e_mobil.html

practically speaking, a phone app or a battery-powered quartz metronome is probably easier and more accurate. i just like to watch the little arm go back and forth, and i like to sort of dance and move my body with it.

anything to make the metronome fun, instead of a horrible chore that everyone wants to avoid!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Everyone I've ever lived with hates the metronome, so I also suggest using one that has a headphone out.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

this isn’t advice anyone game me but i think one thing i’m gonna try to do is try to listen to the music in my head. like, just write little tunes to myself until it becomes natural.

you mean to tell me that you have been struggling to write music... and you have been ignoring the music inside your head?

(obama voice) let me be clear. that music in your head is important! use it!

landgrabber posted:

that sort of thing occurs all the time if i’m already working on something. i’ve stopped in the middle of working on a song to take a shower and written new melodies in my head, came out, put them in, and they worked.

the shower is a powerful incubator for musical ideas. i usually have to whistle some melody into my phone recorder as soon as i get out.

landgrabber posted:

another thing is that when i’m inspired my impulse has been to write lyrics, when it should be to grab the guitar.

:wrong: get that poo poo on paper! the guitar will wait for you, but the lyrics in your mind will vanish in no time.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Sarrisan posted:

Posture. It's uncomfortable at first (for me anyway) but if you set yourself up with a proper and consistent posture it makes things easier.

I took a break from electric a while back and only played classical for a few years. It changed the way I play guitar overall for the better but I found classical to be a little less satisfying and I felt like I was just learning tricks and not really getting anything creative out of it. Not to doom post on you as whatever experience you have, you will grow musically in a way that you can't get from rock/electric perspective. It is a worthwhile endeavor. The biggest take away for me was how economical you have to be with your movements and that carries over to other genres.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is probably bad advice, but sometimes I get bored of the metronome and seek out youtube drum tracks at the appropriate BPM. This can help me break out of a rut or really see where my trouble is coming from because I have some context about what part of the groove I'm stumbling over.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Sarrisan posted:

that guitar has a solid cedar top. good one! the sound will improve with age (not the case with a laminate top).

another good choice for a classical guitar is a solid spruce top. i only have a cedar one, but i want to pick up a spruce one someday!

the difference is that the cedar gives you a round and warm tone, and the spruce gives you brightness. i love both~

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

This is probably bad advice, but sometimes I get bored of the metronome and seek out youtube drum tracks at the appropriate BPM. This can help me break out of a rut or really see where my trouble is coming from because I have some context about what part of the groove I'm stumbling over.

the only reason not to do this is that it makes it harder to hear when your rhythm is off. with the metronome, its really easy to perceive that in the moment while you're playing. but you can always record and listen back to assess your playing with a drum track!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

you mean to tell me that you have been struggling to write music... and you have been ignoring the music inside your head?

(obama voice) let me be clear. that music in your head is important! use it!

the shower is a powerful incubator for musical ideas. i usually have to whistle some melody into my phone recorder as soon as i get out.

:wrong: get that poo poo on paper! the guitar will wait for you, but the lyrics in your mind will vanish in no time.

i told her all this stuff ages ago, too!