Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shrecknet posted:

there are still lots of people using Bindles.

go to Brooklyn and look for the guys with waxed moustaches and thick-rimmed glasses

I beg you, tell me you made this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/NYTStyles/status/642356680110551041

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh yeah it is "Satirical Fashion," a combination of words I never knew I hated until now.

Source-https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/...=imageslideshow

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Goddamn, you all just made me smash my monocle!

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Oh yeah it is "Satirical Fashion," a combination of words I never knew I hated until now.

Source-https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/...=imageslideshow

Been done before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVscQYjuq_s

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sweet! Thanks.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Moon Monster posted:

Here's a photograph from an average American highschool so our overseas friends can see what we're dealing with:

Look at those youth defending the bulletin board advertising health and wellness options from defacement by the cop attempting to vacate a fellow Republican from the riot he’s about to start over their right to free assembly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Making a phone call to another phone inside the house on the same line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Moon Monster posted:

Here's a photograph from an average American highschool so our overseas friends can see what we're dealing with:

Today, the Right would #cancel the cartoonist for depicting firearms in a negative light.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My high school's anti-drunk driving thing was some local EMTs talking about past crashes for drunk kids they'd been to. Tone was a mixture of pleading and being resigned that there was decent odds they'd be collecting bodies for at least one of the kids they'd talked to in the next couple of years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Nancy Reagan came to my grade school and gave me a “Drug Free & Proud to Be” button.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Foxfire_ posted:

My high school's anti-drunk driving thing was some local EMTs talking about past crashes for drunk kids they'd been to. Tone was a mixture of pleading and being resigned that there was decent odds they'd be collecting bodies for at least one of the kids they'd talked to in the next couple of years.

That seems somewhat reasonable. We had some EMTs come in with bike helmets which were really destroyed and told us that all of those bike riders are fine, which reinforced my helmet-wearing. Weird how people in their fields who aren’t cops are fairly effective at their jobs.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I don't think we ever got the overturned DUI car. For whatever reason, they never talked us about road safety, though it was an extremely rural county that usually had at least one fatal teen accident per year. 750 kids in the school, so by the time you graduated you usually knew 1-2 kids who had died.

We did have the DARE bit in 5th grade. As part of that, I remember one of the DARE people trying to warn us about sex, claiming to have known of a 21-year-old grandmother. Proper sex ed was taught over a single week in 7th grade, with girls and boys split. I remember very little from it and it possibly covered no more than human anatomy. The basis of the lessons were a chapter from our science book, one we were discouraged from reading at any other time of the year.

My school was backwards, but not quite as backwards as a few. We still have segregation academies in these parts.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

21-year-old grandmother.

Holy poo poo. That’s not a sex ed problem. That’s a completely different and way worse problem.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

The North Tower posted:

Holy poo poo. That’s not a sex ed problem. That’s a completely different and way worse problem.

Yeah, chanches are that the father of all three is the same person.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Overheard: having to explain to kids that there won't be any more episodes of their TV series for a whole week. Streaming has spoiled us.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
It’ll come full circle if they watch Back to the Future and also wonder ‘what’s a rerun?’

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
In my UK school, we just had people telling us not to walk on train tracks and then all got pencils and rulers with "I've been train trained" on them. No anti drug teaching happened really.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
We had a student’s father the cop come in and talk to us about drugs and gangs in elementary school (like 4th grade).

All I remember was he brought a poster board like a science fair with samples of different drugs from busts stapled on and he carried a ridiculously oversized silver handgun (I didn’t know pistols then but it was ‘like a magnum’).

And he looked like Officer Winslow.

He kept saying poo poo like ‘I don’t want to talk about my gun’ and then talk about it with obvious pride.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I went to a school run by the British Ministry of Defense (like the schools that the DOD runs in places like Guam were there's a big military presence). Because there was no local school district apart from us we got the drugs, sex and alcohol filmstrips they gave to the squaddies, which were not subtle. One kid fainted during the drugs one.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 20, 2021

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Our anti-drug education was a giraffe puppet in a dimly-lit caravan.

I think it was pretty reasonable from what I recall, I distinctly remember the giraffe's co-host telling us that the most abused and harmful drugs at a societal level were all legal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Well yeah, but it's more like "drugs that are legal and socially acceptable have a lot more scope to do damage on a societal level." If it were normal to nip down to the heroin pub or put meth dispensers in every office, our problems would be different.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alcohol is highly addictive, hell on the body, causes aggressive and risk-taking bevaviour, and can kill both by overdose and withdrawal. If I was ranking recreational drugs by societal-harmfulness it'd be pretty high up even on just a theoretical basis, leaving aside availability and cultural factors.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The puppet was pretty cool.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Well yeah, but it's more like "drugs that are legal and socially acceptable have a lot more scope to do damage on a societal level." If it were normal to nip down to the heroin pub or put meth dispensers in every office, our problems would be different.

This is directly against all research on the societal good that things like safe injection sites and the like do.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

If it were normal to nip down to the heroin pub or put meth dispensers in every office, our problems would be different.

If we had a meth dispenser at work like 2/3 of my problems would be taken care of.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Doug Sisk posted:

In my UK school, we just had people telling us not to walk on train tracks and then all got pencils and rulers with "I've been train trained" on them. No anti drug teaching happened really.

Ours did a weird semi-informational thing where they told you exactly what drugs did what and how to know if they've been spiked, and what to do in an emergency. But then the other half of the lessons was all that urban myth bullshit about "she smoked weed and cooked her baby because she thought it was a chicken", "he took lsd and then peeled himself because he thought he was an orange", and "dealers will give out free drugs to get you addicted".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We had this thing where a shipping container had been done up as a shithole apartment on the inside, with an actress playing a junkie, talking and ranting about the poo poo she had to do to get enough money for a fix.

I have to give her props for staying in character, with all the stupid dumbass kid questions we asked her.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Captain Monkey posted:

This is directly against all research on the societal good that things like safe injection sites and the like do.
Safe injection sites and decriminalization make IV drugs legal, and eliminate added dangers like needle reuse, but obviously they don't make IV drugs 100% socially acceptable and normal.

If heroin were completely socially acceptable on a level with alcohol -- "it's my kid's 21st birthday, I'm going to buy him a bunch of heroin for a big party with his friends! Hope he doesn't OD lol, but I know I did when I was his age!" -- I think that would cause problems.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

We had this thing where a shipping container had been done up as a shithole apartment on the inside, with an actress playing a junkie, talking and ranting about the poo poo she had to do to get enough money for a fix.

I have to give her props for staying in character, with all the stupid dumbass kid questions we asked her.

Wouldn't an actual junkie be cheaper?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I mean, she could have been an actual junkie, I have no idea.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Doug Sisk posted:

my parents moved house recently, and they gave me a bunch of my old poo poo to go through. Found loads of these in with my old school books:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Safe injection sites and decriminalization make IV drugs legal, and eliminate added dangers like needle reuse, but obviously they don't make IV drugs 100% socially acceptable and normal.

If heroin were completely socially acceptable on a level with alcohol -- "it's my kid's 21st birthday, I'm going to buy him a bunch of heroin for a big party with his friends! Hope he doesn't OD lol, but I know I did when I was his age!" -- I think that would cause problems.

I guess in this world you made up where heroin is treated exactly like alcohol in every way, you have a point.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Captain Monkey posted:

I guess in this world you made up where heroin is treated exactly like alcohol in every way, you have a point.

That world is what the initial argument was about, so, it is agreed that the most of alcohol's scale of problems is due to its relative ease of access and social acceptability, and not that alcohol is in itself a much more dangerous drug.

E: A less extreme hypothetical is what if opioids and alcohol were swapped, eg you can go to the corner store and get party packs of pain meds, but alcohol required a not overly difficult to get prescription, opioids would swap places on the scale of societal harm with alcohol.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 20, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They're just not really comparable in any way due to the actual effects of the drug, alcohol is definitely awful but there are actual physiological-effect differences between them that change the way that they're used. Either way, I'm sorry I came off so harsh, I misread the intent of the post as attacking addicts in a right-winger way and reacted to that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you weren't a TV watcher by the nineties, you probably don't know about A Very Special Episode of [blah]

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you weren't a TV watcher by the nineties, you probably don't know about A Very Special Episode of [blah]

And After-school Specials. And TV Movie of the week (tonight...a family TORN APART).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sweevo posted:

Ours did a weird semi-informational thing where they told you exactly what drugs did what and how to know if they've been spiked, and what to do in an emergency. But then the other half of the lessons was all that urban myth bullshit about "she smoked weed and cooked her baby because she thought it was a chicken",

Wow, she must have been really hosed up.
Most people only crave a California Cheeseburger when they smoke drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG9qePFBsmg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My only anti-drug thing my school had was a dude who was a semi-famous (locally) drummer who came and talked how he used to be a junkie and how it was fun at first but it lead to him loving up his life and body a bunch. It was alright.

Then he showed some spooky movie about kids dying after one E and then when he was taking questions afterwards me and my friend were like "Hey didn't you used to drum for Bodies?" and he was really surprised some random teenagers were familiar with one obscure punk band he was in that released one EP in 1982 and none of the big pop acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I grew up during the AIDS panic and that certainly was a time, lots of videos about how the nice girl decides to just go once without a condom and of course she ends up dying from it in the end. I remember having general drug and sex education but barely remember anything about them. I think one of the points of the sex ed was that sex is supposed to be some strong romantic and emotional process and that if you just sleep around casually, you will become depressed because the expected emotional attachment won't be there, which will turn you into a sex-crazed person trying to sleep with people until you do find that attachment, which will never come in that scenario and eventually you'll just become a hollow person, never understanding he joys of a stable relationship and emotional connections!

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 22, 2021