Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else order on 4/30 and still not receive a tracking number/shipment notification? Got my confirmation email at 8:09 on 4/30 and mine has been “Preparing to ship” since Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

Did anyone else order on 4/30 and still not receive a tracking number/shipment notification? Got my confirmation email at 8:09 on 4/30 and mine has been “Preparing to ship” since Saturday.

Yep, mine is still on processing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My AppleCare charge went through yesterday so I’m sure it’s going to be overnight shipped either today or tomorrow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My iPad is still processing (but I have a June 9 date so no surprise), but my AppleTV which has been sitting in "Preparing to ship" for days.

Edit: The ATV is now moving, so check your iPads!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 20, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sourdough posted:

iPads should be slower and apple should purposely kneecap them

no!! no!!!!!!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

Yep, mine is still on processing

Well that escalated quickly, went from "preparing to ship" to "shipped" this morning and I have delivery scheduled between noon and 4 PM EST tomorrow (5/21).

Hopefully yours does too!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Since no one likes shipping chat, let’s all wager on what of the following becomes a major story:
  • screen discoloration
  • bending/flexing
  • hardware-imposed limitations
  • (insert random Apple “gate” style non-issue here)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One poster constantly replacing their ipad due to invisible screen issue

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That used to be me before I decided there were better uses of my time than going to the mall every weekend for an hour and bothering the apple store people about my borderline invisible screen issues.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

there will be some test website for the 10000 backlight leds that will show you which ones are defective in ways that will never be visible during use

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Since no one likes shipping chat, let’s all wager on what of the following becomes a major story:
  • screen discoloration
  • bending/flexing
  • hardware-imposed limitations
  • (insert random Apple “gate” style non-issue here)
Surprised this one hasn't been blown up yet:
https://www.theverge.com/22442084/ipad-pro-2021-review-features-screen-mini-led-m1-processor

quote:

There was one odd bug I experienced. Putting either the Kindle app or Apple Books into dark mode and viewing them in a near-pitch black room, I noticed a strange gray haze around all of the text blocks. It’s too big to be blooming; it’s more like the local dimming algorithms got a little confused. It’s a minor thing that I hope gets fixed.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

OMG IT'S BLOOMGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever there's a new "-gate", I tune out. It's always either easily fixed, irrelevant, or there'll be a recall. It's never a reason to worry.

Endless Mike posted:

My iPad is still processing (but I have a June 9 date so no surprise), but my AppleTV which has been sitting in "Preparing to ship" for days.

I wonder if the 2TB ever had a date before June 9. I don't think any reviewers got that one either.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My iPad was due to arrive on the 27th but it’s just been delivered :cheers:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

just a handy reminder, Apple store local stock is updated in the store app now. I just ordered a 12.9 for pickup later today.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They don't have the makeup I want, and mine is now preparing to ship (delivery by June 9!) so oh well.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a Magic Keyboard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe I’ll give a magic keyboard another chance this time around but man I kinda really hated it the first time around as a replacement to the Smart Keyboard.

I’d also would to see if there’s anything in terms of compatible cases with it or will it be a constant swap between it and a case for every other time I don’t want to drag the keyboard around.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

It depends on availability. I will say either way Apple stores will get inventory before other sellers (for the most part).

Endless Mike posted:

They always have at least some launch-day inventory.
Thanks - walked in and got one at opening time instead of waiting a month for delivery.

I also decided to buy an iPhone for the first time in 10 years and the process of transferring WhatsApp messages from Android to iOS is hateful. Someone who has never heard of Android's debugging mode would be hosed.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

"Not available today at 12 nearest stores". And I don't want the "similar" model without cellular.

Guess I'll keep checking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They get new stock daily, so definitely keep checking. Certain configurations might not be available at stores at all, or in very limited numbers.

(Mildly frustratingly, the one I want *is* available in local stores, but the one I preordered already moved to "Preparing to ship" so I can't cancel it. Crappled again!)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 21, 2021

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Right, it'll give me some entertainment. Thanks!

My guess is no store had that one to begin with. I wish istocknow would still work, that's how I got my iPhone X from outside of the area Apple considers "nearby".

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah it was easy enough for me, ordered via the apple store app, picked it up a couple hours later. don’t forget about best buy as well, those stores should be getting stock on a near daily basis too i’d assume.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah my local one didn’t have the configuration I need but eh, I’ll try again now and then.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah my local one didn’t have the configuration I need but eh, I’ll try again now and then.

I appreciate being reminded about Best Buy and I didn't know they had more than the base configurations (but not mine).

Their iPad Pro config page site just stinks of stupid/ignorant and is a total trip:

- Up to 512GB it's the correct storage sizes, then it's suddenly "1000GB" and "2000GB".
- Form factors are something like '9-9.9"', '10-10.9"' and all kinds of random poo poo like
- another form configurator with the correct sizes,
- weird color options (brown and blue!?),
- incorrect RAM specs,
- 2020 models mixed in and
- OMFG help.

They're threading the needle of at the same time wayyyy under- and overthinking it. The whole thing would make me afraid that even if I'd be able to order from them for pickup, it'd be 90% they'd have the wrong one waiting for me.

My guess is that a diehard Android guy from the Geek Squad programmed that ordering page.

(Cue that picture of Jerry Seinfeld getting up in the theater.)

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 21, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah my problem is that I pretty much need to actually pick one up at the Apple store as I have a trade-in and a pile of apple gift cards that are going towards the new thing. Hopefully it won't take too long to get a 1tb model, but I'm in no super rush.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.musicradar.com/news/all-of-moogs-ios-synth-apps-are-currently-free-get-the-minimoog-model-15-animoog-and-filtatron-for-nothing

if you don’t have these, get ‘em!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Setting up my new iPad Pro and right off the bat the screen so so much more vibrant.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also FWIW the current gen magic keyboard with trackpad works with this new iPad Pro so I’m not sure where the confusion was.

It fits exactly as it should from what I can tell.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Their iPad Pro config page site just stinks of stupid/ignorant and is a total trip:

- Up to 512GB it's the correct storage sizes, then it's suddenly "1000GB" and "2000GB".
- Form factors are something like '9-9.9"', '10-10.9"' and all kinds of random poo poo like
- another form configurator with the correct sizes,
- weird color options (brown and blue!?),
- incorrect RAM specs,
- 2020 models mixed in and
- OMFG help.

if you go to the best buy site, find tablets > ipad, there’s a button on the page for “ipad pro (latest model), you kinda can’t miss it? heck, there’s a whole ipad landing page for the various kinds of ipad on sale. the info on the pros is correct, too.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Just got my iPad this morning, setting it up after work and I already have one annoyance. They weren’t very clear as to how to attach my pencil to the side and now I have to charge that instead of having everything ready. Boo.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

if you go to the best buy site, find tablets > ipad, there’s a button on the page for “ipad pro (latest model), you kinda can’t miss it? heck, there’s a whole ipad landing page for the various kinds of ipad on sale. the info on the pros is correct, too.

I don't know what you're getting at here. Yes, I'm able to find that, but the page I saw earlier shouldn't exist under any circumstance. And even if I click on the ad on the title page, I get these kinds of items:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As of right now it’s not a huge deal for me personally but I can definitely tell the difference in weight between the 3rd and 5th gen 12.9s.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

As of right now it’s not a huge deal for me personally but I can definitely tell the difference in weight between the 3rd and 5th gen 12.9s.

I suppose your avatar pic isn't you then?

Also I seem to remember that the 4th gen already added a tiny bit of weight.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I suppose your avatar pic isn't you then?

Also I seem to remember that the 4th gen already added a tiny bit of weight.

Yeah I think you are right about that.

I just remembered going from the 1st to the 3rd and it felt light as a feather.

I’m just happy my $200 magic keyboard works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Also FWIW the current gen magic keyboard with trackpad works with this new iPad Pro so I’m not sure where the confusion was.

It fits exactly as it should from what I can tell.

The one review mentions that their old magic keyboard also worked but it wasn’t flush, so probably mileage will vary and Apple is gonna naturally be cautious and say it won’t work.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Best Buy is now telling me Wednesday. A bit disappointed but I can wait.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Pre-pandemic would Apple stores let you install a specific app to the demo units to see how it feels?

The temptation is there for a 12.9 when it comes time to upgrade but I’d really want to know how a rhythm game I play feels on a screen that big before I would buy anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The one review mentions that their old magic keyboard also worked but it wasn’t flush, so probably mileage will vary and Apple is gonna naturally be cautious and say it won’t work.

I’m gonna have to look real close again but it looks perfect to me. I’ll put the old on in and see if I can tell the difference.

I’m just happy I don’t need to get a new one but it is a little ridiculous they axed it so quickly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My Jun 2-9 order already shipped and should be here Wednesday which is real cool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My new remote should arrive Monday, please note this in the thread records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Been using it (12.9) pretty heavily for a day now. The screen looks fantastic. I’m still kind of floored by how loving big this thing is. I’ve used 12.9” here and there at apple stores and best buys over the past few years but it’s just wild how big and nice this thing is. The hardware really does feel like total overkill, which I guess has been the point of this device from the beginning, but to me the screen is the much bigger upgrade (coming from a 2017 10.5” model).

Can’t wait to install some of those more heavy duty productivity apps just to end up using youtube and netflix and comic readers 99% of the time