Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What does the process of creating a proper military academy look like? Who develops the standards and curriculum in a country that lacks a professional officer corps? Do you just hire a bunch of Prussians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

What does the process of creating a proper military academy look like? Who develops the standards and curriculum in a country that lacks a professional officer corps? Do you just hire a bunch of Prussians?

or french

e: or turks or brits in india

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Step 1) Oh god our officers and commanders haven't fought a proper war since Napoleon.

Step 2) OH GOD WHY.

Step 3) Found a college after said war and really crack down on the whole cash for comission thing.

A gross over simplification I know, but comedy forums.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's no loving way I'm searching for this, but I remember contrarian troll Ann Coultier was defending McCarthy for taking such a brave, principled stand.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

As the Civil War generation of officers retired/died and the military gradually retreated back to a state of semi-relevance, prestige etc declined right along with it.

One other consideration is that a lot of the Civil War generation of officers didn't retire. They created a log jam in the cursus honorum for decades, making it impossible for a generation of junior officers who entered the military after the war to get promotions until they eventually died off.

The Navy was especially badly hit by this. According to the USNI, in 1881 the USN had 286 ships - and 350 admirals.

Here's an editorial cartoon of the day:

This made the prospect of a military career extremely unattractive for a long time.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cessna posted:

One other consideration is that a lot of the Civil War generation of officers didn't retire. They created a log jam in the cursus honorum for decades, making it impossible for a generation of junior officers who entered the military after the war to get promotions until they eventually died off.

The Navy was especially badly hit by this. According to the USNI, in 1881 the USN had 286 ships - and 350 admirals.

This made the prospect of a military career extremely unattractive for a long time.

haha

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone know anything about the "artillery boats" in the caspian, or the caspian flotilla in general I guess

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone know anything about the "artillery boats" in the caspian, or the caspian flotilla in general I guess

They are designed for work on rivers, lakes and seas, and were designed to fight other small boats and people on land. They have a turret from a PT76B, some rocket launchers and 30mm machine guns. It's an evolution of artillery boats that were used in WWII. But made by the Navy and designed more for port defense.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the current "Napoleon for Dummies" reference out there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the current "Napoleon for Dummies" reference out there

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The author, J David Markham, also co-produced a very good "Intro to Napoleon" podcast a few years ago:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-napoleon-bonaparte-podcast/id553730473

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Interesting stuff, thanks!

To carry on from that, how did WW1 affect the popular perception of soldiering as a profession, if it did at all?

Cessna posted:

Honestly, for navies the problem of matching officer supply to ship supply has been a problem forever. I'd have to look it up to find the exact numbers (and details) quoted, but N.A.M. Rodger in The Command of the Ocean notes that around the 18th century, the best time for a prospective Royal Navy officer to be born was around 20-odd years before the next war - just old enough to have been recently promoted to lieutenant or so and thus take part in glorious attention-grabbing actions that might kick him up to commander, in which capacity he will hopefully perform daringly enough to become post-captain at which point he'd be set to climb the seniority ladder all the way to admiral without any further effort. Getting promoted to lieutenant or commander shortly before the end of the war means furious competition for rare positions, especially commanders - they're much more limited in what ships they can command, and there's few of them active in peacetime. Apparently a number of lieutenants would refuse promotion to commander when offered on the basis that their chances of making a living in the peacetime navy are better as a serving lieutenant than a half pay commander.

Given that in the 18th century the Royal Navy was at war roughly once per generation (until Napoleon anyways) that also means that even if they could find berths anyone who didn't make the jump to post captain during the war was doomed to become a middle-aged or more junior officer come the next war, with almost no prospects of beating out the energetic younger generation. A lifetime of bitterness probably doesn't help promotion prospects either.

The Napoleonic Wars were apparently the first real time the Royal Navy were able to have multiple generations of experienced, trained officers climbing the ranks. I can't recall right now if they worked out a permanent solution to the whole staffing problem before the end of the war, though, and unfortunately that's where the book ended so I've no idea what happened during the Victorian period.

I think I recall bewbies mentioning the modern USN has an "up or out" system where you either get promoted or fired, which I think had its own issues, so I guess the problem hasn't really been entirely fixed yet? I wonder if there's some way of applying inventory management techniques to officer training?

...and now I've got the mental image of Jeff Bezos in charge of officer training for the US military, that's gonna help me sleep at night.

(Note: All of this is from memory of a single source, I am not an actual historian, just wanted to try and contribute to a thread in which I normally just ask questions!)

Tomn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 20, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The obvious answer is to replace all the naval officers with mercenaries who can go wherever the war is.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

The Mexican War raised the profile of the military quite a bit. It was arguably the first major thing the US military did well, and it was obviously a huge news story and did a lot for the relative prestige of military professionals. Another important thing from that era
that is often forgotten nowadays was the military's role in civil engineering. USMA was literally the ONLY engineering school in the country for quite some time, and military-run civil engineering projects were both high-profile and very popular with the public. Top graduates tended to gravitate towards engineering, and that group as a whole was very widely admired, though they still didn't get paid very much.

If you want to read about an unfortunate military career, check out Franklin Pierce's in the Mexican War:

quote:

Using his connections, he appealed to President James Polk for a commission. The President repaid Pierce's old campaign favors. By the time the force sailed for the Mexican shores of Veracruz in mid-1847, Pierce was a brigadier general commanding over two thousand men, though he had no military experience whatsoever.

The American commander for this invasion force was General Winfield Scott, seemingly larger than life (six and a half feet tall and three hundred pounds), who insisted on by-the-book discipline and protocol that inspired the nickname "Old Fuss and Feathers." Despite decisive victories in northern Mexico by General Zachary Taylor, the Mexican government refused to agree to American demands, and as a result, Pierce's forces joined with Scott's at the city of Puebla in May 1847, after a 150-mile march from Veracruz during which they were frequently harassed by Mexican guerrillas. The combined force then set out for Mexico City.

In August, the army won two battles against Mexican forces southwest of Mexico City. Unfortunately, the war soon proved less than kind to the inexperienced Brigadier General Pierce. At the Battle of Contreras on August 19, his horse stumbled. Pierce was thrown onto the pommel of his saddle and fell off his horse, crushing his leg. He passed out from the pain and some of the men under his command began to break ranks and flee. The injured Pierce was able to ride again within a month but he arrived too late to participate in decisive victory at the Battle of Chapultepec in September 1847. Some soldiers, perhaps resentful of a political general like Pierce, began referring to him behind his back as "Fainting Frank." The unfair allegations later followed him into presidential politics.

zoux posted:

Prime Minister Trudeau alt-account spotted

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 21, 2021

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Tomn posted:

Interesting stuff, thanks!

I think I recall bewbies mentioning the modern USN has an "up or out" system where you either get promoted or fired, which I think had its own issues, so I guess the problem hasn't really been entirely fixed yet? I wonder if there's some way of applying inventory management techniques to officer training?

...and now I've got the mental image of Jeff Bezos in charge of officer training for the US military, that's gonna help me sleep at night.

Up or out isn’t perfect but it keeps from bottle necking and it forces people to stay competitive, educated, and career relevant. The marine corps has started actually looking at promoting officers early more aggressively (it has been very very rare) just to further incentivize performance and staying in

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Prime Minister Trudeau alt-account spotted

I don't get this joke

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Count Roland posted:

I don't get this joke

Let's just say Canada's current PM might have a lot of questions on how you build an officer corps up from nothing, because all the previous ones were fired

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
sounds like the officers arent taking sufficient initiative in making foreign policy decisions independent of policy and starting wars in manchuria

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you want to read about an unfortunate military career, check out Franklin Pierce's in the Mexican War:

If you want to read about an unfortunate life/career, read the rest of Franklin Pierce's biography. Especially the part where his son was crushed to death and nearly decapitated in front of him in a train crash right before becoming President.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

If you want to read about an unfortunate life/career, read the rest of Franklin Pierce's biography. Especially the part where his son was crushed to death and nearly decapitated in front of him in a train crash right before becoming President.

Dude was a walking tragedy. Also good job repping Bester dudes disappeared from the SciFi world and he don't deserve that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thomamelas posted:

They are designed for work on rivers, lakes and seas, and were designed to fight other small boats and people on land. They have a turret from a PT76B, some rocket launchers and 30mm machine guns. It's an evolution of artillery boats that were used in WWII. But made by the Navy and designed more for port defense.

Isn't a 30mm firmly in the autocannon territory

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What happened to North American trade and communication networks during and after the epidemics caused by European contact? I know that smallpox spread through these networks much faster than Europeans could travel, did they collapse at some point in the Great Dying or did long-distance trade between Indigenous nations continue?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vaguely offensive that he's labelled "France's greatest leader" when France was ruined and defeated under his leadership

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah "greatest leaders" should kinda be weighted towards people who manage to actually hold on to their gains for at least a bit imo. Looking at you, Alexander.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't a 30mm firmly in the autocannon territory

If you're some kind of pussy maybe :smug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

Up or out isn’t perfect but it keeps from bottle necking and it forces people to stay competitive, educated, and career relevant. The marine corps has started actually looking at promoting officers early more aggressively (it has been very very rare) just to further incentivize performance and staying in

This sounds like a good way to get excellent captains and corrupt and useless admirals. I seriously hope admirals are also fired and replaced regularly, or this system is doomed to end with an entrenched caste of mummy admirals slowly crumbling to dust in their offices, while all promising captains below keep getting fired since there is no free spot to promote them into

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe after you reach Admiral you get promoted to Lieutenant* and start working your way up the ranks again. Do well enough and you might even be able to become a Lieutenant**.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
In the US navy admirals have to retire at 64 unless the president or secdef says you don’t. Everyone else has to retire at 62

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Assign admirals to front line combat roles, give them a big hat and have them direct the action from the decks of the boats. Problem solved

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Libluini posted:

This sounds like a good way to get excellent captains and corrupt and useless admirals. I seriously hope admirals are also fired and replaced regularly, or this system is doomed to end with an entrenched caste of mummy admirals slowly crumbling to dust in their offices, while all promising captains below keep getting fired since there is no free spot to promote them into

Not sure what you mean. There are time in service limits/mandatory retirement ages so admirals aren’t “slowly crumbling to dust”. They’re up or out. Also check out how many navy captains and admirals get fired on like, a yearly basis? It’s a lot.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Can't imagine cycling through officers at that rate can be good for operational performance.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm getting towards the end of the Aubrey-Maturain series and it's heavily focused on the looming end of the Napoleonic Wars and the resulting lack of ships/career prospects for the sailors. It doesn't sound like the Royal Navy had a mandatory retirement age.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Also billets and commands are assigned for a specific time frame - you don’t get to say “well im just going to stay in charge of fifth fleet for another year” because you were told approximately how long you’d have it when you first took command, and your successor was chosen about a year in advance from that change of command

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

Not sure what you mean. There are time in service limits/mandatory retirement ages so admirals aren’t “slowly crumbling to dust”. They’re up or out. Also check out how many navy captains and admirals get fired on like, a yearly basis? It’s a lot.

Well, as long as admirals are removed regularly, I guess the system works.:shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Count Roland posted:

I'm getting towards the end of the Aubrey-Maturain series and it's heavily focused on the looming end of the Napoleonic Wars and the resulting lack of ships/career prospects for the sailors. It doesn't sound like the Royal Navy had a mandatory retirement age.

pretty much all the old useless guys without connects got yellowed, though, and weren't really in a position to do any material harm other than a drain on the budget

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FastestGunAlive posted:

Oh sure, I'm not saying it's a bad system or that it isn't the best option available, just noting that matching officer supply to ship supply is not an entirely solved problem, and maybe never will be. Would be interesting to see if anyone can come up with personnel innovations to better solve the problem within the next century.

You know, promotion talk got me thinking of a silly pop culture question - I remember when I was very young in one of the Tom Clancy books there's a scene where an American officer (probably ubermensch Jack Ryan) runs across this highly efficient British sergeant and thinks "drat, what a waste. If he was in the US military he'd have been promoted to officer. Instead he's stuck in the British Army as a NCO for the rest of his career." Was that an accurate representation of promotion patterns in the two countries at the time (I assume around the '80s-'90s)? If it was, do we know why their patterns diverged, and how it impacted overall effectiveness, if it did?

Bit of a dumb question I know but it's weird the little things that stick in your head decades later and I always wondered a little about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also doesn't the US Army have all sorts of career staff sergeants and warrant officers and such?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah "greatest leaders" should kinda be weighted towards people who manage to actually hold on to their gains for at least a bit imo. Looking at you, Alexander.

The whole metric is a dumb way to measure somebody.

Napoleon has skills and talent because the dude was pretty good at landing on his feet with both political intrigue and with managing a terrifying amount of military things. I mean I cannot think of any other officer and leader who deserted his armies three times in his career and was exiled but somehow came back into power and survive multiple times.

Man sucked at diplomacy and making friends.

Also France always gets better, if it doesn't collapse or have the occasional revolution it would not be France.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Tomn posted:

Oh sure, I'm not saying it's a bad system or that it isn't the best option available, just noting that matching officer supply to ship supply is not an entirely solved problem, and maybe never will be. Would be interesting to see if anyone can come up with personnel innovations to better solve the problem within the next century.

You know, promotion talk got me thinking of a silly pop culture question - I remember when I was very young in one of the Tom Clancy books there's a scene where an American officer (probably ubermensch Jack Ryan) runs across this highly efficient British sergeant and thinks "drat, what a waste. If he was in the US military he'd have been promoted to officer. Instead he's stuck in the British Army as a NCO for the rest of his career." Was that an accurate representation of promotion patterns in the two countries at the time (I assume around the '80s-'90s)? If it was, do we know why their patterns diverged, and how it impacted overall effectiveness, if it did?

Bit of a dumb question I know but it's weird the little things that stick in your head decades later and I always wondered a little about it.

Can’t speak to your specific question but I find the scene amusing as I know many marines who are jealous of our British counterparts’ ability to choose to stay at a specific rank and deny promotion. For us if you deny promotion then you’re getting out when your contract is up.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

aphid_licker posted:

That is just one, extremely limited aspect of 'greatness', mind you. You can also look at overall societal or cultural influence that they have had. If Napoleon has a pastry and Alexander a kebab named after them it's hard to argue that they didn't achieve greatness. Same with Caesar salad. But have you ever eaten a Mussolini or a Nixon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FastestGunAlive posted:

Also billets and commands are assigned for a specific time frame - you don’t get to say “well im just going to stay in charge of fifth fleet for another year” because you were told approximately how long you’d have it when you first took command, and your successor was chosen about a year in advance from that change of command

Absolutely.

This isn't Star Trek, where Riker can say "I just want to stay an XO for a few more years 'cause I like this ship." That would de facto end a career in the real military.

Tomn posted:

Lol, no. Clancy never spent a day in the military and it shows.*

In theory, yes, in the late 80s/early 90s a talented NCO could be selected to go to college and get a commission through a program called "MECEP."

I saw this happen happen exactly once in my entire time in. That was a guy in the same battalion - not once was someone in the same company, let alone platoon, given this, and I served with some smart, talented people.

This is the military equivalent of "well just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and become rich."

* I met Clancy once when I was a curator, we were at the same Naval History conference. He was an embarrassment. There's nothing like watching an insurance salesman who was never in the military, but who read Jane's Fighting Ships, lecture a room full of admirals and PhD historians about how the navy really works.

PittTheElder posted:

Also doesn't the US Army have all sorts of career staff sergeants and warrant officers and such?

Yes.