Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sai-kun posted:

Chicagoons and others...

NIN is now headlining Riot Fest :) (9/17-9/19)

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/riot-fest-2021-tickets-84627686689

what a blessed loving line up man god I'm so jealous

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the middle portion is warped tour any given year lol

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

AFewBricksShy posted:

The podcast "Difficult Artist" has an interview with Reznor this week.
Nothing exactly groundbreaking, but he doesn't seem to do a lot of interviews so I figured it's worth posting.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Podcast/B08JJNJ1LG

Good interview, had a good laugh at the end!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

5.1 fragile deluxe edition when, Trent?!

A 5.1 mix was made and exists, and then the Deviations LP came out. I don't think a deluxe Fragile will be happening anytime soon if ever. :negative:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nin headlining louder than life fest

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 15, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if them doing live shows in the fall means they'll release something in the interrim...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Molestationary Store posted:

A 5.1 mix was made and exists, and then the Deviations LP came out. I don't think a deluxe Fragile will be happening anytime soon if ever. :negative:

I have the 5.1 mixes of TDS and WT plus the fan-made mixes of YZ and TS, and they're all so good.

I guess it's a pretty niche market though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I have the 5.1 mixes of TDS and WT plus the fan-made mixes of YZ and TS, and they're all so good.

I guess it's a pretty niche market though.

What fan remixes are these? I need to hear them

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What fan remixes are these? I need to hear them

I can't remember where I got them, must've been a torrent a decade ago. They were both Isos to burn to DVD.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Listened to the new single today, holy poo poo it kills.

Bought the last two Health records and am just finishing up with Death Magic. Great stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

Bought the last two Health records and am just finishing up with Death Magic. Great stuff.

Get the Max Payne 3 score, it's the best thing they've done yet.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Get the Max Payne 3 score, it's the best thing they've done yet.

This, its also an incredible game too

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Don't skip Get Color! Far superior to volume 4 imo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

theyre all good

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

theyre all good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
E: get color is my fav health album

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Trent is 56 today!

Looking good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Difficult Artist interview is surprisingly candid. I know Trent's never been shy about talking on stuff like addiction etc but it's one of the few times I've heard it in his voice, rather than an article, and it's really fascinating to listen to.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Since we always post ixi in here but nobody posted this one yet -- birthday special, 9 NIN songs for the price of one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAWkLocOmdA

I don't really think BYIT is underrated, but the rest are solid picks. Glad to see "In Two" get some love, it's the highlight of that album for sure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Since we always post ixi in here but nobody posted this one yet -- birthday special, 9 NIN songs for the price of one!

I don't really think BYIT is underrated, but the rest are solid picks. Glad to see "In Two" get some love, it's the highlight of that album for sure.
I'm with ixi, Hesitation Marks is underrated.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

spookygonk posted:

Trent is 56 today!

Looking good.

Keep forgetting how old the guy is but after everything he put his body through I'm still amazed at the physical transformation from when With Teeth came out and the guy was over 40 and looked incredible, especially when that was right after he really went off the rails with addiction. Must have had a hell of a dietician and personal trainer because all the muscle etc. aside he looked younger on that tour as well. Always impresses me when people go through those transformations e.g. Christian Bale & Matthew McConaughey.

Kinda funny as well, I think it was during the original Ghosts sessions at his house that someone took a photo of part of his kitchen that had fruit everywhere for everyone to help themselves to and it was a comically large amount.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

even more is how much energy the guy has, running around during shows sizeable setlists, without blowing his voice out

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

Glad to see "In Two" get some love, it's the highlight of that album for sure.

yeah In Two loving rocks

while i get why Hesitation Marks is generally not the highest-rated NIN album among fans, production-wise it's probably in top 3 for me. it's just so crisp. like TDS that got power-washed. it's quite a unique feel for an album, imo, which is cool

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Ixi just uploaded a video for A Warm Place. Watching it right now. It's nice.

https://youtu.be/VQWUP0K24uc

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nurmie posted:

yeah In Two loving rocks

while i get why Hesitation Marks is generally not the highest-rated NIN album among fans, production-wise it's probably in top 3 for me. it's just so crisp. like TDS that got power-washed. it's quite a unique feel for an album, imo, which is cool

It's an interesting dilemma, because NIN obviously always has great production and more or less mixing as well. Yet there was something about HM's "cleanness" that sounded a little bit wrong. But I'm still not sure if it's the sound itself or the songwriting. It's not like The Slip was an all-timer either, and that arguably had more typical NIN production. In general it feels like TR didn't have much to say during that period.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Macrame_God posted:

Ixi just uploaded a video for A Warm Place. Watching it right now. It's nice.

https://youtu.be/VQWUP0K24uc
God drat, A Warm Place truly is one of the most beautiful NIN songs. That and Leaving Hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yppksBz-JuI

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does she put her piano versions of these up on any streaming services?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

It's not like The Slip was an all-timer either, and that arguably had more typical NIN production. In general it feels like TR didn't have much to say during that period.
yeah, The Slip does feel like a b-side and outtake compilation kind of fare to me. can't agree about Hesitation Marks though - while it's not the strongest NIN album imo, it does have a clear and present concept and a very personal message behind it.

I mean, "being a (recovering) addict sucks and getting old is scary" might not be as engaging of a concept as "chronicling the stripping away of every bit of humanity from oneself until nothing is left" or, say, "a suprisingly accurate prediction of how the world in 15 years is gonna be, bar a giant ghostly hand heralding the apocalypse (who knows though, never say never)". However, Hesitation Marks still definitely says something - quite a lot, actually. Sure, it might be kinda awkward and clunky at times in how it chooses to say what it has to say - but that kind of comes with the territory of its messaging, i suppose

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I remember reading in an interview that hesitation marks deliberately has very little in the way of traditional sequencing to MIDI clock used in it. If Trent wanted two synths to be in time, they'd just hit play and try and time them up manually.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I like Hesitation Marks (I'm pretending 'Everything' doesn't exist here) but some songs feel a bit too restrained. I see what Trent was going for but take 'Copy of a' for example, the live version from the Tension tour is incredible, particularly the VEVO version on YouTube which is extended and has a lot of noise and feels much more NIN-ish than the album version. I really wish that version of the song was what was on the album rather than the restrained version that we got.

Not a sentiment exclusive to NIN either, there's other bands who change up and expand album tracks in a live setting to the point where I wish that they had experimented with live performances and committing those versions to the album rather than discovering afterwards during the tour that the songs could be improved. The added noise and chaos of the live version of 'Copy of a' is excellent however.

As for Hesitation Marks in general, I really like the experimental and fresh approach that he took with the album and I consider 'All Time Low' a highlight of the album. Still crazy to realize how old it is however, I know there's been smaller NIN releases since but Trent really got sucked deep into soundtrack work. I wonder if he's starting to get the itch to make something loud again?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Everything is a fine song.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

As for Hesitation Marks in general, I really like the experimental and fresh approach that he took with the album and I consider 'All Time Low' a highlight of the album. Still crazy to realize how old it is however, I know there's been smaller NIN releases since but Trent really got sucked deep into soundtrack work. I wonder if he's starting to get the itch to make something loud again?

I mean, not to come off all defensive, but it feels crazy to me to write off the trilogy of Not The Actual Events / Add Violence / Bad Witch as "smaller NIN releases". Even though literally, yeah, I guess they are. But in terms of artistic evolution they feel almost as significant to me as Broken. Each of those records feels more carefully crafted than HM did, to me. Plus there are some songs on those that are about as loud and aggressive as he's ever done. (The Idea Of You, Not Anymore, Ahead Of Ourselves)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hesitation Marks loving owns and its still in my regular rotation

E: when that saxophone hit at the end of the album I marked out

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
putting the fun in dysfunctional
Copy of A live is incredible and definitely better than the album version.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, not to come off all defensive, but it feels crazy to me to write off the trilogy of Not The Actual Events / Add Violence / Bad Witch as "smaller NIN releases". Even though literally, yeah, I guess they are. But in terms of artistic evolution they feel almost as significant to me as Broken. Each of those records feels more carefully crafted than HM did, to me. Plus there are some songs on those that are about as loud and aggressive as he's ever done. (The Idea Of You, Not Anymore, Ahead Of Ourselves)

Yeah, I'm just being literal about it, but not dismissing them at all as they have some songs I really like (and I'm very fond of Broken as well).

I know they were released over the course of three years but if all three EPs were combined into a single 16 track album? I think it would be a really great album and follow-up to Hesitation Marks. I think Trent just wanted to get stuff out sooner rather than later and so went the EP route but creating each one in a single year is impressive and if you put them together as one cohesive work you'd have a lot of variety and evolution like you said, which is there anyways but I personally think as an album would be more pronounced.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
HM rules, Everything is a really good song and definitely not the low point of that album. It's a great release, like almost every NIN album

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thank you trent reznor

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

I know they were released over the course of three years but if all three EPs were combined into a single 16 track album? I think it would be a really great album and follow-up to Hesitation Marks. I think Trent just wanted to get stuff out sooner rather than later and so went the EP route but creating each one in a single year is impressive and if you put them together as one cohesive work you'd have a lot of variety and evolution like you said, which is there anyways but I personally think as an album would be more pronounced.

I can't remember if he said this before or after Bad Witch, but he was considering reconstructing them into a long album at some point. But that might have blown up after he decided to change directions on the third one.

It is hard to imagine "The Background World" and "Over and Out" on the same album for sure. They're both really good finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hughesta posted:

HM rules, Everything is a really good song and definitely not the low point of that album. It's a great release, like almost every NIN album

I think Trent has the best batting average of any musician ever with me outside of like, the Beatles who had a perfect run before they exploded.