Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

seems like there's some drama at freenode

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409

https://libera.chat/ has a nice tldr i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

irc drama never changes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, 15 years since levin died, kind of surprising it hadn't imploded in some different way by now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Why does Libreoffice writer still have unbelievably terrible kerning? text in every other linux app looks fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Why does Libreoffice writer still have unbelievably terrible kerning? text in every other linux app looks fine
Maybe it has to for word compatibility or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you cared what your keming looked like, you wouldn't be using linux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just use latex

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have an allergy

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
if you want to know why anything in libreoffice is terrible, just look up its development history

mystes
May 31, 2006

Libreoffice is fine. I mean the UI sucks but so does Word's UI and it's fundamentally impossible to make a processor that's fully compatible with word without the UI sucking.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hasn't "libre" as a concept in general been coopted to mean "free to hate minorities and have sex with children"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

hasn't "libre" as a concept in general been coopted to mean "free to hate minorities and have sex with children"
It's not called libertarianoffice

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

need to upgrade a server from ubuntu 14.04 to 20.04. apparently 14.04 is the last version before they switched to systemd so this could be "fun". anyone have any experience with that? pretty sure it's just running a bunch of apache virtual hosts and maybe an nginx reverse proxy, nothing terribly complex

Tankakern posted:

seems like there's some drama at freenode

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409

https://libera.chat/ has a nice tldr i guess

yeah it's bizarre. the #osdev regulars and ops have set up a channel on libera with the same set of people and so far it's just served to be a good way for us to be able to keep two ongoing conversations separated into two irssi windows

nobody is expecting freenode to collapse anytime soon or start selling chat logs to the PRC or whatever people are concerned about happening but it's nice to have a backup. personally I think one or the other is going to run out of money and whoever's solvent in six months is going to buy the other one

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

need to upgrade a server from ubuntu 14.04 to 20.04. apparently 14.04 is the last version before they switched to systemd so this could be "fun". anyone have any experience with that? pretty sure it's just running a bunch of apache virtual hosts and maybe an nginx reverse proxy, nothing terribly complex

Unless you have custom init scripts, it should be straightforward.

EDIT: also, you may need to configure networking with the new netplan stuff. Netplan is probably going to be your biggest headache, not systemd, most likely.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 21, 2021

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

thinking about a system of d

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

is this a bad pun of "page copy" or what is up with that name

AMD "Beige Goby" GPU Support Targeting Linux 5.14 Inclusion

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

nobody is expecting freenode to collapse anytime soon or start selling chat logs to the PRC or whatever people are concerned about happening but it's nice to have a backup. personally I think one or the other is going to run out of money and whoever's solvent in six months is going to buy the other one

i did some drama research and things got weird fast

the guy who shadily "bought" freenode (*) is a very young bitcoin billionaire who also bought his way into being declared a korean crown prince. no, really! he claims that owning freenode is part of his plan to make irc great again - in his mind irc should've won the internet chat wars and it needs someone like him to push it forward so it can take its rightful place

to give you an idea of the sort of leadership he brings to the table, he hired mark "mt gox" karpeles (who has never done anything wrong) to run some portion of his business empire

imo, the only sane choice is to :frogout: from freenode as soon as you can

* apparently it's unclear whether the person he bought freenode from had the legal rights to sell what he now claims to own, but he's willing to litigate, nobody on the other side has the resources to fight it, and they rightfully came to the conclusion that it's pretty easy to start a new replacement irc network from scratch.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

apparently it's unclear whether the person he bought freenode from had the legal rights to sell what he now claims to own, but he's willing to litigate,

bitcoiners: crypto will provide irrefutable proof of ownership and free us from the tyranny of men with guns

also bitcoiners: I say I own this so I own it, and if you don’t give it to me I’m going to ask the state to force you

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I get the feeling the person who bought access to a monarchy isn't a decentralization purist

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

BobHoward posted:

the guy who shadily "bought" freenode (*) is a very young bitcoin billionaire who also bought his way into being declared a korean crown prince. no, really! he claims that owning freenode is part of his plan to make irc great again - in his mind irc should've won the internet chat wars and it needs someone like him to push it forward so it can take its rightful place

to give you an idea of the sort of leadership he brings to the table, he hired mark "mt gox" karpeles (who has never done anything wrong) to run some portion of his business empire

* apparently it's unclear whether the person he bought freenode from had the legal rights to sell what he now claims to own, but he's willing to litigate, nobody on the other side has the resources to fight it, and they rightfully came to the conclusion that it's pretty easy to start a new replacement irc network from scratch.

This is the same guy right?
https://irc.com/lets-take-irc-further
Saw it linked on mastodon during this whole drama but it wasn't clear to me how it related.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I think it’s just internet drama and freenode isn’t changing. Also sounds like IRC changed that prince guy’s life and he wants to pay it forward. I don’t really care about it but I did run an IRC server once. It was not as glamorous as I thought it would be.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RocketLunatic posted:

I think it’s just internet drama and freenode isn’t changing. Also sounds like IRC changed that prince guy’s life and he wants to pay it forward. I don’t really care about it but I did run an IRC server once. It was not as glamorous as I thought it would be.

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

shoeberto posted:

This is the same guy right?
https://irc.com/lets-take-irc-further
Saw it linked on mastodon during this whole drama but it wasn't clear to me how it related.

yeah that's the one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BobHoward posted:

lmbo, that's a baffling turn of events

I think at this point we're just waiting for the libera folks to put together some servers that don't crash every few hours. been netsplits out the rear end the past few days and a few cases where zncs just can't reconnect properly

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
If only there were a goon run irc network

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the other thing that gets me is that they just had to do a clever domain hack and get a .chat domain for this. y'know, one of those gtlds that every spammer in the universe has beaten to death so hard that the default spam reputation score for newly registered domains is lower than mail.ru

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

let the speculation begin i guess

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty optimistic to guess nvidia or apple when i think it is other arm vendors who are desperate, so qualcomm or powervr.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

im betting on intel, lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

im betting on intel, lol

intels official driver has been in-tree for like a decade hasnt it?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yep, amd is all open as well

nvidia doesn't need to do this from a business perspective. it's most likely one of the mobile vendors who are about to open their horrific code and try to upstream it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sure but there’s their new dedicated cards coming out eventually so intel dropping a clean slate rewrite is not outside the realm of possibility

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why would apple write a linux driver for its gpu at all, much less open-source it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

sure but there’s their new dedicated cards coming out eventually so intel dropping a clean slate rewrite is not outside the realm of possibility

they've been adding dg1 support to their linux driver for a while and the driver as a whole is in good shape, why would they waste time on an internal rewrite that's a total mess?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The_Franz posted:

they've been adding dg1 support to their linux driver for a while and the driver as a whole is in good shape, why would they waste time on an internal rewrite that's a total mess?

intel being intel

raja bringing a team of radeon sweng to show the igp team how its done

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

also because it’d be the funniest outcome

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

it'd be real weird if that is what it is about though. lot of intel lulz going around, but they have historically been so good about open standards and open source that i think it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the new stuff will get something at least best effort.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Probably imagination tech since they were hiring for an in house mesa developer with a view to publishing something this year according to a job posting from a couple years back

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Probably imagination tech since they were hiring for an in house mesa developer with a view to publishing something this year according to a job posting from a couple years back

lookin forward to seeing that abomination of an open source driver for bizarre MIPS chips that are only used in china and in richard stallman's toecheese encrusted netbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gentle Autist posted:

free as in mods