Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

Just read some of the BaT

That's what the owner decided not to fix? :stare:

As if it ever gets driven after dark or anything gets carried in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I loved that car when it came out. It's still badass when it works, even though it's been long surpassed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I can't help but see it as an American attempt at a Ferrari F40.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Midjack posted:

As if it ever gets driven.

ftfy

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The 90's awesomeness, for so cheap.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

Just read some of the BaT

That's what the owner decided not to fix? :stare:

For listing purposes...Just needs a headlight motor for $50 then it will run but haven't gotten to it yet.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I forgot these things existed:

Chevrolet SSR

2004, 20,000 Kms

$31,995

Rare find and only 20,000 kilometers!! Retractable hard top convertible Super Sport Roadster equipped with heated leather seats, power seat, digital air, cruise, power group, hard bed cover, 19 inch alloy wheels in the front, 20 inch alloy wheels in the back, and upgraded exhaust. Very rare and collectable vehicle! Sorry we cannot offer financing on this unti.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sorry we cannot offer financing on this unti.
they know their audience lol

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Nebakenezzer posted:

I forgot these things existed:

Chevrolet SSR

2004, 20,000 Kms

$31,995

Rare find and only 20,000 kilometers!! Retractable hard top convertible Super Sport Roadster equipped with heated leather seats, power seat, digital air, cruise, power group, hard bed cover, 19 inch alloy wheels in the front, 20 inch alloy wheels in the back, and upgraded exhaust. Very rare and collectable vehicle! Sorry we cannot offer financing on this unti.

Friend of mine had one of these things years ago in purple. They're ugly as sin, but actually pretty fast and handle decently well. A fun car to drive, but not fun to look at.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

but actually pretty fast and handle decently well.

Chris, if that statement wasn't coming from you I'd have some questions about "compared to what" but instead I'm just going to remain confused as to how it's possible.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Motronic posted:

Chris, if that statement wasn't coming from you I'd have some questions about "compared to what" but instead I'm just going to remain confused as to how it's possible.

At the time I drove lifted subarus, so the bar was really low...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

400hp in a 4700 pound car is still pretty fast. Mid 5 0-60. Yeah not "fast" compared to some cars but like he said still pretty fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cage posted:

400hp in a 4700 pound car is still pretty fast. Mid 5 0-60. Yeah not "fast" compared to some cars but like he said still pretty fast.

Fast was not my contention. Fast is easy (when you define that as power to weight ratio). Handling (and braking) is a completely different issue. That's what makes actual fast.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

Fast was not my contention. Fast is easy (when you define that as power to weight ratio). Handling (and braking) is a completely different issue. That's what makes actual fast.
My mistake you quoted him about being fast too. :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cage posted:

My mistake you quoted him about being fast too. :shrug:

Oh no, I was just being sloppy.

You know I'm coming from a standpoint of super fun to drive low horse power stuff like 944s and Miatas or my "work truck" 520 HP twin turbo cayenne. Which on a good day might be worth the $4k the 944 is also worth. (in this market who knows though)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gentlemen, I looked up the wiki on the SSR, and the '03 and '04 SSRs used the 5.3L vortec V8, 300 hp. The 2005 used the LS2 (390 hp), standard became an option, and the last year of them used a LS2 with 400 hp.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
So its fast and ugly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nebakenezzer posted:

Gentlemen, I looked up the wiki on the SSR, and the '03 and '04 SSRs used the 5.3L vortec V8, 300 hp. The 2005 used the LS2 (390 hp), standard became an option, and the last year of them used a LS2 with 400 hp.

While circling the drain somebody up high yelled "LS in everything!" Not even that was enough.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

So its fast and ugly.
Include terrible build quality and it could also be chryslers motto.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
GM also figured that the SSR owners would be Harley riders and might want to tow a motorcycle with it. The manuals got upgraded T56s, particularly massive output shafts and 1 piece countershafts.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’ll come out and say it: I like the way they look. I love the idea of a convertible hard top pickup.

The biggest reason I never bought one was the GM interior.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

I’ll come out and say it: I like the way they look. I love the idea of a convertible hard top pickup.

The biggest reason I never bought one was the GM interior.

:hmmyes:

I like that they also kept true to form and made it into the vehicle it should have been at launch, the same model year they axed it.

They’re so loving predictably horrible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

I like that they also kept true to form and made it into the vehicle it should have been at launch, the same model year they axed it.

They’re so loving predictably horrible.

That could be a good game. Name a vehicle gm got just right and then promptly killed it. I can think of a couple off the top of my head but I'll only name one.

1988 Fiero

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

EV1

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But every cars last version year is the best one. The assembly workers get better dealing with debilitating hangovers after 6 or 7 years.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

That could be a good game. Name a vehicle gm got just right and then promptly killed it. I can think of a couple off the top of my head but I'll only name one.

1996 Impala SS

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Volt

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Nebakenezzer posted:

1996 Impala SS

That’s not really fair; the B-Body was decent for a very long time. It was absolutely not a case of ‘they knew how to do it right but didn’t’.

My top choice is the 1965/6 Corvair, which was only kept around longer out of spite for Ralph Nader.

2008/9 H3 & H3T are another choice, with finally getting the 5.3.

2005/6 Saab 9-2x was a pretty sweet car. I have a friend who bought one new for $17,000 because of all the GM discounting.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Advent Horizon posted:

That’s not really fair; the B-Body was decent for a very long time. It was absolutely not a case of ‘they knew how to do it right but didn’t’.

My top choice is the 1965/6 Corvair, which was only kept around longer out of spite for Ralph Nader.

2008/9 H3 & H3T are another choice, with finally getting the 5.3.

2005/6 Saab 9-2x was a pretty sweet car. I have a friend who bought one new for $17,000 because of all the GM discounting.

God I wish I’d have been in a position to buy a saaburu back then, so fuckin nice with the Subaru mechanicals and Saab interior/comforts

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Eh looks just like an Impreza inside to me.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

slidebite posted:

1988 Fiero

Saab 9-5 wagon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

dissss posted:

Eh looks just like an Impreza inside to me.

Because it is. I had one and the dash and interior were identical. Maybe there's more sound deadening but it's still not a super refined car really.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

While true, the ‘96 did have a couple changes that made it notably different from the previous years, including a proper console and moving the shifter off the steering column to the console. Tantalizingly, I’ve heard the rumor multiple times from different sources that engineering work was already mostly complete on Gen III V8s (not that there’d be much) for the whole line, including LS1 for the Impala SS and 9C1, when GM pulled the plug on the entire platform.

Maybe the one time when GM didn’t give something enough time to really mature before shooting it in the head.

:(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is the GNX too obvious? I believe it was for 1 year only, although I suspect it was by design whereas I'm not so sure if the others were being planned only for 1 year when being designed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GNX was also a post-production conversion, not a factory trim. They did only build the intercooled GN/T-Types in ‘86 and ‘87 though, which almost counts.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Advent Horizon posted:

Quite possibly fair. Just to defend it as a pick, was the Impala SS the only one with all disc brakes and the LT1?

Wait, and the Buick Roadmaster lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How does one rank the Typhoon/Syclone?

They never really made much improvements over its short life did they?

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Quite possibly fair. Just to defend it as a pick, was the Impala SS the only one with all disc brakes and the LT1?

Wait, and the Buick Roadmaster lol

They all had the LT1 IIRC, same with the Caddy Fleetwood, but that was a D Body. Big thing with the Impala was the *~leather~* interior and the floor shifter/console. Oh, and super cool vinyl scripts on the rear quarters.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ViolentQuiche posted:

They all had the LT1 IIRC, same with the Caddy Fleetwood, but that was a D Body. Big thing with the Impala was the *~leather~* interior and the floor shifter/console. Oh, and super cool vinyl scripts on the rear quarters.

There was a 4.3L Gen II V-8; The L99.

(Impala and I think the wagon Roadmasters all got the LT1 though. I don’t know if LT1 was standard on Roadmaster sedans or not.)

I’m also suprised that the B-body LT1 was still called that, since it had a different (iron) heads and a different cam compared to the Corvette and F-Body LT1s. The block on B-body engines was the same casting as the others, but only had two-bolt main caps instead of the four bolt mains in the sports cars. (Most of the F-bodies had 2 bolt mains as well, but 4 bolt main engines were pretty common, I suspect whenever they had extra Corvette engines, particularly towards the end of LT1 production.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

There was a 4.3L Gen II V-8; The L99.

(Impala and I think the wagon Roadmasters all got the LT1 though. I don’t know if LT1 was standard on Roadmaster sedans or not.)

I’m also suprised that the B-body LT1 was still called that, since it had a different (iron) heads and a different cam compared to the Corvette and F-Body LT1s. The block on B-body engines was the same casting as the others, but only had two-bolt main caps instead of the four bolt mains in the sports cars. (Most of the F-bodies had 2 bolt mains as well, but 4 bolt main engines were pretty common, I suspect whenever they had extra Corvette engines, particularly towards the end of LT1 production.)

Coworker has a 95 RM sedan...it's got the original non-LT1 SBC in it. Not sure the model.