Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i think the way it worked was that you could take the tethers right now and give up the rights to your missing coins should bitfinex ever get them back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

and they treated tether as this unrelated third party that just wanted to buy up a lot of bitfinex debt and anyone who pointed out that they were the same company was yelled at

then like most bitcoin things at some point there was a switch where obviously tether and bitfinex were always one entity, the crazy conspiracy nocoiners were the ones saying that they weren't

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

somehow my brain didn't connect that tether was the haircut coins until just now, because that seemed too bafflingly stupid even for bitcoin

silly me
it's always stupider than you think

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/caspiancey/status/1386708294278909958

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

a recruiter reached out about a position at Robinhood, they're forming a financial crimes team and honestly it sounds like it would be fun just for the bitcoin crime lulz

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You should double check that they're looking to prevent the crimes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
if they're just making the compliance team now you definitely don't want to be on it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
tether was also a fallback position. the original idea was to issue a "bfx token"

basically bitfinex gave everyone a haircut (cash and btc) to cover the "hack", people flipped their poo poo so they came up with the bfx token. people continued to flip their poo poo because who gives a poo poo about an iou from an exchange that's going under. so at that point tether.io enters the game as a supposed outside investor that was going to cover it to stabilise bitfinex

of course it's all the same guys using a different letterhead but that was the official fiction for like a couple years

this was all in the immediate aftermath of all the chinese exchanges being shut down and taking like 99.7% of all exchange volume with them. the #1 or #2 exchange after the chinese shutdown was btc-e, the guys connected to the mtgox hack. bitfinex was like the #3 exchange when they announced they were "hacked"

btc-e eventually got shut down by the feds when a bunch of the staff got arrested. the btc-e guys who didn't get arrested rebranded as WEX, and their plan for maintaining solvency was...give customers a 40% haircut, cover the difference by issuing a "WEX token" pegged to the dollar. they limped along for awhile until someone started funneling everything from the btc-e/wex accounts to a couple accounts on binance in an apparent exit scam

apparently there's evidence that either bitfinex lost control of their wallets long before the "hack" or someone inside was involved, as addresses that were officially bitfinex's are connected to the earlier bitstamp and later tether hacks, same way btc-e was connected to the mtgox, bitfloor, and bitcoinica hacks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol that's hilarious

*puts on glasses and mustache*

Ah, I see you have been scammed by a most dastardly scoundrel! But fear not! I, Zhatoshnik, shall buy your bad debt for seventy cents on the dollar! A most agreeable proposition, is it not?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

if they're just making the compliance team now you definitely don't want to be on it
I’m not so sure about that. Expectations are probably crazy low and the internet has probably already done your first years’ work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm the cum ex scandal.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
this Harry & Paul sketch is not about crypto and tether, except that it totally is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJa9diJOMk

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

YOSPOS > buttcoin: bafflingly stupid even for bitcoin

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

it's always stupider than you think

No no no you see this is proof that the crypto people are right in that most people just don't understand crypto.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
proof of smirk

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Any good profiles of Binance out there?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok i've got another tether question, do we know how much of the tens of billions of tether are held by retail crypto holders vs the exchanges? so it goes print tether -> offer tether to exchanges for an iou -> exchanges buy bitcoin (?)

i'm not sure about the last part, like what do the middlemen do with all the tethers being printed? for a while i thought it was just tether buying crypto for tethers and that was their reserve, but it just sounds like they just have a promise to pay back the tether loan or something.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ultrafilter posted:

It's really hard to see how Tether could have a bigger effect than Archegos did.

The only tinee-tiny reason imo is that it's just unknown. Novel. Nobody who wasn't a Tulip True Believer was really hurt when the bubble popped. Same for Beanie Babies. But people chasing returns that maybe might just have used a few (all) clients' money could end up a bagholder. Which affects real world money in a direct way. It won't cause a world wide meltdown, but 75 year old persons can't just go re-earn their 401k or savings. So I worry, maybe for no reason (I hope no reason). 30 yr old techbros can afford to lose money as long as they aren't unemployed, but hopefully no one has to make that decision.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

kw0134 posted:

the thing is that a margin loan in that context usually is something that is given as you're buying the security. my broker gives me 4x leverage on certain stocks (which I don't take), but my existing equity in that position is what anchors the trade if i were to exercise the margin. you can't "take a margin loan" and have cash sitting in an account, unless this is some shady bullshit that leaves the user exposed to being forcefully expropriated whenever the "broker" feels like it, which is probably the case.

i think interactive brokers and a few other things like that actually do let you take a margin loan against your equity and have the cash sitting in your account

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessefel...ingawful.com%2F

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the value proposition in tether for other exchanges is that it provides a way to move usd around without moving usd around. moving usd around by actually moving usd is inconvenient because there are laws that actually get enforced involving doing it. moving usd around by moving tether around is something that at least for the moment makes things easier for people who don't exactly have a surfeit of options as far as legit banking goes. i think that'll last exactly until a court somewhere looks seriously at the subject and concludes that this isn't just kinda-sorta money laundering it's more or less a textbook example of according-to-hoyle money laundering in its purest form. at which point presumably a bunch of exchanges will fold and a bunch of people will go to jail but its not like that's ever stopped a bitcoin business before

and it sure looks like the original design spec for tether was that it could be used for shell games to hide losses and so maintain the illusion of solvency and prevent a bank run. to what extent it continues to serve this function, and to what extent it is being used to prop up the books of other exchanges is something that i don't think we could say for sure without seeing the internals of the various exchanges

like i'd be willing to bet that most exchanges are actually insolvent, but i don't know to what extent tether shuffling is a specific strategy they're using to deal with it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the 2nd cultural revolution :getin:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hammerite posted:

Everyone in this thread is about to be super mad at how incredibly smart this thing I;m about to do, is.

Lost fingat

PostNouveau posted:

Send it to me I'll any address incorrectly and it automatically will delete it for you

FTFY

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the government should issue everyone slingshots to use on coin miners imo

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sapozhnik posted:

lol that's hilarious

*puts on glasses and mustache*

Ah, I see you have been scammed by a most dastardly scoundrel! But fear not! I, Zhatoshnik, shall buy your bad debt for seventy cents on the dollar! A most agreeable proposition, is it not?

I'm not sure how long you've been "in the game," as the kids say, but This Exact Thing happened when Gox went under.

Of course, as is common knowledge, Mark did nothing wrong.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mao's new red book

it's just pages upon pages of "buttcoin lol"

屁股硬幣

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:sickos:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SC_Griffith/status/1395576325071585283

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ugh my brother is like that now. In almost every conversation I can see the cogs in his head slowly digesting the thought of "how do I steer this conversation into cryptocurrency?"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

lol it’s all one big SAR okay?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin becomes full of genius 9,999 transactions, maybe a couple pairs of instantaneous 5,000 ones if they want to get really tricky

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Someone finally said crypotcurrency

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone said cryptocurrantcy yet?

*Dries currants using mining rig*

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
*clears throat*

buttcoi--

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Untouched by any thought, the Austrian Post released its third crypto stamp today.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
v happy prof. stolfi knows the real fud definition
https://twitter.com/jorgestolfi/status/1395579221720944640

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It signals a whale market! Austrians are known for understanding economics, they can't be wrong! SELL SELL SELL!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

It signals a whale market! Austrians are known for understanding economics, they can't be wrong! SELL SELL SELL!

They did pick the whale specifically because of crypto whales :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

v happy prof. stolfi knows the real fud definition
https://twitter.com/jorgestolfi/status/1395579221720944640

lol I didn't know other Bitcoin businesses also had their own 'stablecoins'