Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Felipe Vazquez's trial was this week and he was found guilty on most of the charges.

https://twitter.com/TribLIVE/status/1395552077695406085

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Felipe Vazquez's trial was this week and he was found guilty on most of the charges.

The tweet I saw about this just had his name and not that he was a former Pirate and it took me a good minute to remember where that name was from so good job by everyone involved throwing him down the memory hole.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress that guy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
CC Sabathia just unloaded on TLR and baseball's "unwritten rules" bullshit:

https://twitter.com/R2C2/status/1395380726493810691

Captain Cheeseburger posted:

Tony La Russa is out of touch with the game, cuz. He should not be managing one of the best teams in the American League, period. The fact that Tim Anderson, basically the captain of their team, had to go on Instagram and step up for his teammate like, "Yeah, the game wasn't over ..."

If you're going to put a loving position player in there to pitch, guess what? If he's going to lob poo poo over the plate, we going to loving tee off. Put a 10-run rule up there, cuz. If y'all don't want to see people get embarrassed and you don't want to see position players pitch and people swing on 3-0 counts and all that poo poo, then make it a 10-run rule so the loving game will be over and you don't have these stupid rear end unwritten rules.

And now you've got a rookie that's basically been carrying your loving team these last loving first six weeks of the season. This guy has been carrying you. And now you don't have a problem with the loving weird-rear end Minnesota Twins throwing behind one of your biggest hitters? That's just loving stupid. It's stupid. Period. I'm sorry. This poo poo is terrible. He shouldn't be loving managing that team. If you not going to step up and have your players backs, what's the point of being the loving manager of the White Sox?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:hai:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
the loving weird-rear end Minnesota Twins

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Popete posted:

New thread title?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Tranquilo the loving weird-rear end Minnesota Twins

e: drat, beaten lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Popete posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

I read that entire thing in Earl Weaver's voice in my head

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Tranquilo the loving weird-rear end Minnesota Twins

e: drat, beaten lol

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

Did anyone else read that article because it gets totally :wtc: at the end, seriously!

quote:

During his more than two hours of testimony, Vazquez said he “liked” the girl and that her appearance and behavior during their sexual encounter were those of an experienced woman.

He described the way she walked to his car as that of a “fashion model” and balked when asked by Lazar to demonstrate it for the jury. “I don’t want to walk like a woman,” Vazquez said.

At the direction of Westmoreland County Judge Scott Mears, Vazquez — wearing a blue suit — stepped down from the witness stand and smiled as he walked in front of the jury box, swinging his hips back and forth.

“Let the record show Mr. Vazquez was sashaying in front of the jury,” Gerson said.

You have got to be kidding, were they purposely loving with him in court or something? I mean, it's funny in a twisted way, admittedly.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Gonna be honest I only follow baseball peripherally at best and people like Tony La Russa are why I don’t really give a poo poo til the postseason.

Swing at all 3-0 pitches.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
CC is 100% correct. Also, I hadn't seen him since he retired and he looks good!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

no sir you're not going to convince anyone that people complain about overtime playoff hockey

Some radio people and callers were complaining about double OT making the Bruins/Caps game too long

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

habeasdorkus posted:

CC is 100% correct. Also, I hadn't seen him since he retired and he looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYJqhyti50M

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

This is a trend that goes back much further than 30 years. Look at 1920-1965 on that chart. In response to rising strikeouts and pitcher dominance at that time, the league expanded (which tends to dilute pitching more than hitting for whatever reason), lowered the mound, added the DH, and shrunk the zone.

I just picked a random number, I wasn't specifically referring to just then. My point still stands though, older generations of pitchers were pitching to more contact and because relief usage wasn't what it is now weren't going all out every pitch because they were expected to pitch much deeper into the game. Now teams don't care anymore

That being said again I'm not sure this is a problem like other people do and I don't want Manfred of all people mucking with things because he has no idea what he is doing. I could see lowering the mound maybe but stuff like banning the shift and shrinking the strike zone again I don't want them to do. Putting a limit on the number of pitchers teams can carry was stupid and I'd like to see that go away

I get that this style of baseball isn't for everyone, but people have been complaining baseball isn't how it used to be for forever now. When teams stopped stealing bases and bunting people complained about the lack of small ball and fundamentals. When emphasis was put on OBP instead of batting average people complained that walks were dumb and you go up there to swing the bat. When closers and more relief pitchers in general were started to be employed people complained about constant pitching changes and how guys used to go out there and throw 12 innings if they had to, or no one used matchups they just pitched and got guys out like men. Any innovation or forward thinking in baseball has always been met with BACK IN MY DAY or loving nerds ruining sports.

I think baseball has much bigger issues than the lack of balls in play, and it's mostly off the field stuff with the CBA that's about to be renewed. There are a lot of issues that need to be resolved and Manfred is gonna try and screw the players so bad, and I don't know if the PA is up for the task. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that there is a strike or stoppage

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The NFL changed where kickoffs are kicked from just because there was one guy who was really good at returning kickoffs. You can just tweak the dimensions/extents whenever you want.

Also lol at people saying that 60' 6" is sacrosanct in a sport that has inconsistent field dimensions.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Baseball should ban relief pitching.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 21, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

more falafel please posted:

The NFL changed where kickoffs are kicked from just because there was one guy who was really good at returning kickoffs. You can just tweak the dimensions/extents whenever you want.

Also lol at people saying that 60' 6" is sacrosanct in a sport that has inconsistent field dimensions.

They changed the kickoff rule because it's the most dangerous play. Not because of one player.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They changed it because of player safety/concussions

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The NFL changed where kickoffs are kicked from just because there was one guy who was really good at returning kickoffs.

I shouldn't be but I'm legitimately surprised a take this dumb exists

Cordarelle Patterson was really drat good at returning kicks though I agree

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

IcePhoenix posted:

I shouldn't be but I'm legitimately surprised a take this dumb exists

Cordarelle Patterson was really drat good at returning kicks though I agree

If anyone was going to get a rule changed, it's Devin Hester.

Baseball wise, I like it when rules are simpler, not more complex. Banning the shift is dumb. If you really want to increase hitting, then lower the mound, or move it like 6" back. The game changes over time. We don't have to tweak every rule to try and force teams and players to play a certain way. I do like the minimum three hitter rule though. Watching back to back pitching changes is one of the worst things in baseball.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bird in a Blender posted:

I do like the minimum three hitter rule though. Watching back to back pitching changes is one of the worst things in baseball.

I'm genuinely surprised this one made it through, since the endless commercial breaks had to be fairly lucrative.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I do like the minimum three hitter rule though. Watching back to back pitching changes is one of the worst things in baseball.

I agree on this one. I'm in favour of rule changes that force players to be better if that makes any sense, not just arbitrarily limiting what they can/can't do such as banning the shift.

I'd maybe be fine with lowering the mound, moving it back is a bit too drastic for me. I also think moving the mound back would hurt hitters at least initially almost as much as pitchers.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If anyone was going to get a rule changed, it's Devin Hester.

Baseball wise, I like it when rules are simpler, not more complex. Banning the shift is dumb. If you really want to increase hitting, then lower the mound, or move it like 6" back. The game changes over time. We don't have to tweak every rule to try and force teams and players to play a certain way. I do like the minimum three hitter rule though. Watching back to back pitching changes is one of the worst things in baseball.

Yeah, I'm talking about Hester. Safety no doubt had to do with it too, but Hester basically trying to return anything that wasn't already a touchback forced it.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Actually it was because they realized that 250 pound men running into each other at 20MPH each was really good at bursting joints and scrambling brains. Not because the 170 pound man ran behind them to get into the endzone too many times.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea, Hester scoring touchdowns was great for football and super exciting. It’s more the players destroying their bodies that changed the rule, obviously.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Baseball should ban relief pitching.

Do you know how bad the Cubs would be this year? I don't think they have a starter with an ERA under five.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

I just picked a random number, I wasn't specifically referring to just then. My point still stands though, older generations of pitchers were pitching to more contact and because relief usage wasn't what it is now weren't going all out every pitch because they were expected to pitch much deeper into the game. Now teams don't care anymore
This is correct but it's also true at any previous point in baseball history. It isn't a new development. Pitchers in the 20's threw harder and fewer innnings than those in the 19th century. Pitchers in the 50's threw harder and fewer innings than those in the 20's, etc.

In 1884 Old Hoss Radbourn threw 678.2 innnings and won 60 games. Cy Young maxed out at 453 IP and 36 wins in a season in 1892, and that didn't even lead the league that year. By 1903 he led the league with a mere 341 IP. In 1961 the league IP leader threw 283 IP. In 1996 it was 262.2 IP.

The trend towards more effort and shorter/less frequent outings is more than a century old. I don't think there's some stylistic or cultural way to reverse that.

Why are you ok with lowering the mound but not shrinking the zone? Both are changes MLB has implemented in the past.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 21, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

now, in graph form!

(note that I cut the Y-axis at 50% to illustrate the change more)

IMO the league should target a BIP rate of 75% and consider anything between 70-80% acceptable. Alternatively they could target a K% around 15%

This is good information - but what should MLB do to get that BIP number? What steps can they take (not generally what can they do - but what would you as a baseball fan want to see) to increase the amount of balls in play and lower the number of strikeouts?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sab0921 posted:

This is good information - but what should MLB do to get that BIP number? What steps can they take (not generally what can they do - but what would you as a baseball fan want to see) to increase the amount of balls in play and lower the number of strikeouts?

He’s posted about it a bunch recently.

Lower or move back the mound, shrink the strike zone

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like that multiple people actually thought I was being serious about it being Patterson and not Hester but then again the way the conversation started I guess it shouldn't be surprising

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sab0921 posted:

Move the mound back, lower the mound, shrink the size of the strike zone. The first reduces the velo of the ball by the time it gets to the plate, the second reduces perceived velo, the third forces pitchers to throw closer to the heart of the zone. There are other things you could do as well, but those three are pretty easy and would have an immediate and visible effect on the quality of pitching.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Why are you ok with lowering the mound but not shrinking the zone? Both are changes MLB has implemented in the past.

Would shrinking the zone require a smaller home plate? Or would they just make the black bigger and say it's no longer in the zone?

I think changing the zone is the idea I'm probably most in favor of since it doesn't require pitchers to re-learn how to do things but I haven't thought about the practical implementation.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Move the mound back, lower the mound, shrink the size of the strike zone. The first reduces the velo of the ball by the time it gets to the plate, the second reduces perceived velo, the third forces pitchers to throw closer to the heart of the zone. There are other things you could do as well, but those three are pretty easy and would have an immediate and visible effect on the quality of pitching.
Moving the mound back also gives the hitter more time to recognize and react to pitch type, in addition to lowering velo at the plate. This could help with breaking pitches, though the additional time means they will break more so maybe it balances out.

Inspector_666 posted:

Would shrinking the zone require a smaller home plate? Or would they just make the black bigger and say it's no longer in the zone?

I think changing the zone is the idea I'm probably most in favor of since it doesn't require pitchers to re-learn how to do things but I haven't thought about the practical implementation.
no just shrink the vertical boundaries of the zone, which is what they've done in the past

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 21, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just go back to 1800's baseball rules. No called strikes, walks count as hits for the purposes of BA, hitters are allowed to request a low or a high pitch from the pitcher. Boom I've fixed the league wide BA problem, I'll take my money whenever you're ready Manfred.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Just go back to 1800's baseball rules. No called strikes, walks count as hits for the purposes of BA, hitters are allowed to request a low or a high pitch from the pitcher. Boom I've fixed the league wide BA problem, I'll take my money whenever you're ready Manfred.
Also no fouls

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also no fouls

Willie Keeler made his living on bunting pitch after pitch foul until he got one he liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

People have been saying baseball is dying, it's broken, it needs to be fixed, etc etc for as long as I can remember, and yet somehow it keeps chugging along just fine.