Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are all pretty terrible, but Alex from Florida is really trying to be king of the assholes.

Donald Trump was much less controversial than George Floyd. :aaa:

I feel so bad for the kids at her school.

This is almost guaranteed to be a Chud suburb Republican at a Chud run Charter school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Aren't budget proposals essentially pointless? Trump wanted to axe all non-military spending and domestic spending actually increased because the GOP had to get enough Dems to agree. A public option and other initiatives like it would have to go through budget reconciliation on a strict party line so this is probably just a grab bag of things that "might" survive the inevitable shutdown fight.

More bipartisan fronting for public consumption basically.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

zoux posted:

Feels like there's another party in congress that is actually causing the problems. Maybe one with equal or even superior agency to the Democrats.

Democrats have majorities in both houses.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

There really must be something in the water in Illinois.

Republicans, Democrats, men, women, white, black, Latino, establishment, or new to politics all end up doing crazy and/or corrupt things once in office.

Give the state of Illinois, along with Wisconsin, to Canada. Problem solved. That would probably cut back on the number of Packers fans that exist in Minnesota as well!

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 21, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

zoux posted:

Feels like there's another party in congress that is actually causing the problems. Oh well, the Dems just don't want it bad enough I guess.

I get what you're saying here, but wasn't there just a couple of months of all these things being proposed because the Dems could get these things passed if only they could get rid of the filibuster, but damnit, there are two democrats that just can't let that happen.

Yes, it would be great if the GOP would play ball as well, but after all this talk about getting poo poo done because now they have the numbers (and even people campaigning in states by telling people that if they get voted in the Dems will have the numbers) and then being told that sorry, they can't make it happen.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff that is passing is good stuff, but unfulfilled promises stick around in memory.

Also why I said in the top half of my post that I really would like to hear an explanation or justification for their cuts.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Reality Protester posted:

Democrats have majorities in both houses.

Not on all issues, which is why the filibuster isn't dead yet and why $15 min wage was opposed by several senators.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

Aren't budget proposals essentially pointless? Trump wanted to axe all non-military spending and domestic spending actually increased because the GOP had to get enough Dems to agree. A public option and other initiatives like it would have to go through budget reconciliation on a strict party line so this is probably just a grab bag of things that "might" survive the inevitable shutdown fight.

Spending in some areas under Trump increased dramatically (the usual conservative red meat poo poo like military) while other things were cut to the bone to the point that certain fed functions are currently crippled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/05/21/biden-trump-government-rebuilding/

The budget is never what goes into effect word-for-word, but it acts as something of an opening position/dreamboat list to bargain from.

For example, the only Democrat who's thinking small on student loan forgiveness right now seems to be Biden. People are counting on this at this point, and if Biden does nothing he will deserve the consequences.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was pretty clear during the campaign that Biden had no interest in dealing with healthcare whatsoever and was only forced into talking about it by Bernie or Warren.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grammarchist posted:

Yes, budget proposals are pointless. But, they are also a signifier of priorities.

The stated reasoning of "not wanting to seem like they are proposing too much spending in a short period of time" is not a great one.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Further, why should anyone vote FOR Dems ever again with this kind of pattern.

$830 million of campaign spending on the Georgia runoffs turned into $1.3 trillion of additional spending on Covid relief (if you believe McConnell would have passed the $600 billion Republican counteroffer lol) and we haven't even seen the infrastructure bill. A 1600:1 return in 3 months is pretty good imo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grammarchist posted:

Aren't budget proposals essentially pointless?

Correct, the president's budget proposal is not legally binding. Theoretically, it's supposed to be a starting point for Congress to make its own plans, but there's no rule saying any part of it must be carried over into legislation. Sometimes this lets Congress throw away obvious stupid garbage ideas (like with Trump) and sometimes it lets ideas popular with the electorate quietly fall out of the planning process (Biden)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kalit posted:

Give the state of Illinois, along with Wisconsin, to Canada. Problem solved. That would probably cut back on the number of Packers fans that exist in Minnesota as well!

We are not a dump for you to toss garbage at. :mad:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kalit posted:

I also have it on good authority that a northern border wall would be a breeze to build because the trees are of a uniform and ideal height

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

James Garfield posted:

$830 million of campaign spending on the Georgia runoffs turned into $1.3 trillion of additional spending on Covid relief (if you believe McConnell would have passed the $600 billion Republican counteroffer lol) and we haven't even seen the infrastructure bill. A 1600:1 return in 3 months is pretty good imo.

There's also the American Families Plan after the infrastructure bill, which will bring the total to $4.1 trillion on spending in those two bills alone.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

We are not a dump for you to toss garbage at. :mad:

Same to you, we don't want your Gavin McInnes take him back already :mad:

Yes, budget proposals are pointless. But, they are also a signifier of priorities.

The priority of "all of our bridges are loving falling apart" seems pretty important but what do I know.

EDIT: Yes I get the complaint that there needs to be focus on healthcare etc. but the state of our infrastructure in this country is so goddamn hosed and abysmal that I think it's perfectly fine for it to be a priority. Of course, so is the state of a lot of other things in this country.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 21, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1395504627731378177?s=21

So that Ohio vax lottery turned out to be genius

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

zoux posted:

I wonder how many not-quite-antivaxxers looked at Ohio's lottery and thought "oh, well in that case, I'll just get one dose to win that money and then won't get the second so the government won't be able to track me :smug:"

Which would still be a huge improvement.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vorik posted:

Not on all issues, which is why the filibuster isn't dead yet and why $15 min wage was opposed by several senators.
Is the party responsible for how their members votes or not?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

World Famous W posted:

It's just so simple.

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1395829478157258754

Uh, Josh your constituency is almost entirely made up of anti-semites.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1395790089310064651?s=19

This does not seem like a vote winner or even a smart strategy in a post pandemic world. Drug prices are going to be a hot button with the vacciness especially.

Unsurprising, given that the astroturf group Partnership for America's Health Care Future, which is stacked with Obama alumni as well as private insurers & drug makers, came out against both.

Its logo is a good representation of the bipartisanship of regulatory capture.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zoux posted:

It's just so simple.
As is answering "republicans" when asked why the opposing party ain't fulfilling their promises.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

zoux posted:

So all it takes to get people over their irrational fears of vaccination is an extremely thin chance to win a big chunk of cash. What a country.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

World Famous W posted:

What is the benefit of judging every democrat by the worst one? How does that help anyone figure out how to get bills that help people passed?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AhhYes posted:

So my first reaction is it has been a very, very long time since the WH budget has meant anything at all, so meh. But it's also just their priority list for this year, and it's probably a good call to focus on one multi-trillion dollar bill at a time in this environment. If those things aren't in their priority list for next year, then I'll think about being upset about it.

Especially when that multi-trillion dollar bill offers unlimited subsidies to health private insurers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

World Famous W posted:

As is answering "republicans" when asked why the opposing party ain't fulfilling their promises.

I mean, you know what the deal is, I don't have to explain it to you. You know enough about legislative dynamics, about Senate rules, about the filibuster and where members stand on, the fact that Manchin can't be primaried, that there's no leverage there, you know all of this. So yes it is as simple as "They don't have the votes for cloture or to vote to change the rules to drop the filibuster". We have to constantly do this rhetorical dance where people pretend like they're utterly naïve about the political dynamic in congress and reduce all that to utter absurdity and do unironic "I would simply pass the bill by using political pressure, and leverage" arguments. If they had 60 votes, if they had the votes to break the filibuster and leadership wasn't going along and was pursuing bipartisanship instead: then yes you would have a point. But that is not the situation on the ground, and you know it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 21, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

What good is a political party if it cant even whip votes for it's campaign promises.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

What good is a political party if it cant even whip votes for it's campaign promises.

Still pretty good, in some places. Bad in others.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

What political party in modern memory has managed to whip votes for all of it's campaign promises within the first year?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Do you think a party can/should be able to force all it's members to do whatever it wants 100% of the time without thought for their voters? Manchin sucks but the party is a big tent at this point and WV seems to want him.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't think some of the campaign promises can be fulfilled unless there is a change in the makeup of senate, for one. Regardless of year.

Issues beyond that are just the lovely feeling that representatives don't have your back because it looks like they won't put up a fight.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Sarcastr0 posted:

What political party in modern memory has managed to whip votes for all of it's campaign promises within the first year?

Republican party, 2017-2020. Obamacare repeal failed but they passed everything else they tried to pass. Including a ton of 50 vote + Pence judge votes. They got it done.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the stuff that's not going in the appropriations bills isn't getting passed in appropriations (which are filibusterable), it will need to be a reconciliation bill

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Republican party, 2017-2020. Obamacare repeal failed but they passed everything else they tried to pass. Including a ton of 50 vote + Pence judge votes. They got it done.

Your'e confused. They got what they as a party wanted during that time.

Campaign promises? Hahahahahahahahaha no

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again this is “I would simply do politics at Joe Manchin and easily force him to fall in line.” It’s not an argument, it’s not a plan, it’s not a strategy, and it’s not reality.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

socialsecurity posted:

Do you think a party can/should be able to force all it's members to do whatever it wants 100% of the time without thought for their voters? Manchin sucks but the party is a big tent at this point and WV seems to want him.

Yes. It benefits the party to pass things their voters want, ensuring future support of those voters. If someone does not want to vote for things their voters want, they should not be a part of the party.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

your example is a party whiffing on its single biggest part of its legislative platform

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

No new goalposts.

You talked about campaign promises. Trump did not build the wall, Mexico did not pay for it, he did not ban Muslim immigration, he did not build the Keystone Pipeline, he did nothing with opiates, nothing with drug prices, nothing with regulating the press.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

evilweasel posted:

your example is a party whiffing on its single biggest part of its legislative platform

They passed tax cuts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

They passed tax cuts.

like i said, your example is a party whiffing on its single biggest part of its legislative platform. this is not great for your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

They passed tax cuts.

They failed their campaign pledge to repeal and replace Obamacare.