Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah just getting something that outputs a number is really cheap and easy. Getting one that outputs a number that is accurate and precise in lots of different temperatures and conditions? A lot more difficult. Shimano's effort is famously bad, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Banged out another metric.

At 3:59:59 time of hitting 62 miles.

Three day total: 176.8 miles.

Please remove my legs.

(Also Garmin, with only a heart rate strap, said that I burned all of 2k calories on that 80 miler. My rear end I burned only 2k calories)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

the fucker is in so tight I was worried I was going to strip the plastic, gently caress.

and it won't loving budge.

the wrong mounting kit.

I still don't have a decent solution for the downtube hole.

We already know you have a drill and the will to use it. All of these look like proverbial nails for your proverbial hammer.

DRILL BABY DRILL

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

iospace posted:

Banged out another metric.

At 3:59:59 time of hitting 62 miles.

Three day total: 176.8 miles.

Please remove my legs.

(Also Garmin, with only a heart rate strap, said that I burned all of 2k calories on that 80 miler. My rear end I burned only 2k calories)

Maybe if you ended at 0 elevation gain

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HR based calorie estimates are going to be especially horribly wrong if you don’t have HR zones set properly

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Steve French posted:

HR based calorie estimates are going to be especially horribly wrong if you don’t have HR zones set properly

different services seem to calculate it differently as well. I'm pretty sure I have Strava and Garmin setup with the same zones but I get wildly different calorie estimates when it just goes by heart rate. I'm pretty sure Strava is high and Garmin low...when using power Strava just calculates calories based off power but my Garmin watch can't read power and take that into account so it just goes by heart rate and is always lower than my power numbers

So in conclusion just get a power meter

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I’m helping my brother replace his bike that was stolen and I’m wondering if this is a good deal? I’m very aware of the market right now but it being a 7 year old bike gives me pause.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/portland-all-city-macho-king-ltd-gravel/7323208207.html

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

skul-gun posted:

Jagwire makes compatible pads and they're a legit brand that should be in-stock.

Jagwire pads have been great for me. I bought another set as a spare since parts supply is unreliable in hellworld 2021.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

from the rivendell newsletter

quote:

It happened at the end of an all day ride and not in the middle, thankfully. A tiny stick got sucked by the rear tire, hit the fender stays and crumpled it all the way into the rear brake cable, locking up the rear wheel.

Instead of going through the hassle of removing the fender Eric popped open the rear brake and was able to ride home with just the front. All good - stuff happens! He said he wanted to take off the fenders anyway.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Well that's one way to sort out the whole fender clearance issue that sometimes comes with converting a canti bike to mini v.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> crumpled it all the way into the rear brake cable, locking up the rear wheel.
Seems a little academic -- if it had enough purchase to pull the stradle cable up, it would probably have jammed on the seat stays less than a cm further, locking the fender into the tire just as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Levitate posted:

So in conclusion just get a power meter

Done, op

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

yoohoo posted:

I’m helping my brother replace his bike that was stolen and I’m wondering if this is a good deal? I’m very aware of the market right now but it being a 7 year old bike gives me pause.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/portland-all-city-macho-king-ltd-gravel/7323208207.html

I’m not sure how good of a deal it is, but I would buy that bike if it was in my budget and size.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Preordered a ebike https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current for the Costco price of $2600 feel free to tell me how I'm a dumb idiot and should have bought something else.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Preordered a ebike https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current for the Costco price of $2600 feel free to tell me how I'm a dumb idiot and should have bought something else.

im annoyed that in america it's legal to sell a 28mph ebike but police here in the UK are fuckers and keep stealing ebikes here which go above 15mph

throttles aren't even legal :( we're such a backwards poo poo hole

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Duck and Cover posted:

Nah, I think it's probably a perfectly fine ebike. Does it say who makes the motor/battery?

hemale in pain posted:

im annoyed that in america it's legal to sell a 28mph ebike but police here in the UK are fuckers and keep stealing ebikes here which go above 15mph

I'll be honest, I rarely ride above 15 or 16 mph on a normal cyclepath or bike lane anyway. I've never ridden with a throttle. I can see how it'd be nice for a little bomp off the line, but it's never seemed that necessary.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 21, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Nah, I think it's probably a perfectly fine ebike. Does it say who makes the motor/battery?

I'll be honest, I rarely ride above 15 or 16 mph on a normal cyclepath or bike lane anyway. I've never ridden with a throttle. I can see how it'd be nice for a little bomp off the line, but it's never seemed that necessary.

They're fun! quite useful for squeezing between traffic and the pavement (sidewalk?) so you don't pedal strike the curb. I find 17-18 mph the sweet spot on the road personally.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

Not sure about that one in particular, but Priority seems to have a good reputation for its standard bikes. Supposing they put a good motor and battery on an already good bike, it should be a good e-bike

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

hemale in pain posted:

If you want a bike with a throttle that goes 28mph get a moped.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you want a moped, just get a motorcycle. They're so much cooler

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It doesn't but internet does. It's a truckrun which isn't what I'd prefer but I really wanted a belt drive (more than I rationally should) which limits my options without spending over 4k. At $2,600+$30 shipping I'll feel less bad about buying gps/radar/suspension seat.

I presently have a Ride1up LMT'D the throttle is nice but it certainly is a temptation.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A couple of times recently I've seen some guy on what appears to be an electric moped that goes like 40mph

Blasting down the bike lane at 40+ pedaling furiously on something that looks like a dirt bike

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

It doesn't but internet does. It's a truckrun which isn't what I'd prefer but I really wanted a belt drive (more than I rationally should) which limits my options without spending over 4k. At $2,600+$30 shipping I'll feel less bad about buying gps/radar/suspension seat.

I presently have a Ride1up LMT'D the throttle is nice but it certainly is a temptation.

Oh yeah, the belt drive will be real nice. I hope you enjoy it!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

If you want a bike with a throttle that goes 28mph get a moped.

ebikes are better though, you don't have to worry about when you can or can't be in bus lanes or dumb stuff like where you can or can't park.

e: also unless you have crazy wide handlebars it's easier to filter between traffic on a bicycle

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 21, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

isn't this exactly what those plastic breakaway clamps for fender stays are designed to prevent?

e: :doh: I guess if a stick catches the stay it wouldn't help all that much

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Clark Nova posted:

isn't this exactly what those plastic breakaway clamps for fender stays are designed to prevent?

e: :doh: I guess if a stick catches the stay it wouldn't help all that much

Yeah the newsletter addressed this directly, Riv only install SKS, which have the breakaway tabs. Their bikes look way better with silver aluminium fenders tho, it's a shame.

E: the moral of the story is VO parts are on the cheap end of nice. Buy Honjo and cry once, then enjoy forever.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fenders off road, not even once

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, VO is a little pricey, I spent like $15 more and got berthoud fenders from ben's cycle instead :coolfish:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I don't know about any of this stuff that's been posted, but I'm super mad at eBikes because they're pretty quiet and the people riding them have a habit of drifting by you on the left and scaring the poo poo out of you because they don't know riding etiquette.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I set my helmet on the hood of my car for a second today, and the INSTANT my back was turned the loving wind gusted and blew it off onto the concrete.

How religious do I need to be about the one hit rule? Is that enough to require a replacement now? It's a little scuffed but I can't see any cracks or dents.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
I've just found out the hard way that tubeless sealant will happily dissolve your carpet if you leave it there long enough.

I was storing one of my bikes in my spare room and didn't realise it had a hole that hadn't sealed properly, so now my carpet has a bald spot that's almost as unattractive as my own.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

I set my helmet on the hood of my car for a second today, and the INSTANT my back was turned the loving wind gusted and blew it off onto the concrete.

How religious do I need to be about the one hit rule? Is that enough to require a replacement now? It's a little scuffed but I can't see any cracks or dents.

If there's no cracks or deforming of the foam it's probably fine. The testing and impacts it's designed for are when there's something inside that's adding momentum to the blow.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I had this exact same thing happen to an SKS mudguard last year. I popped it back into shape and it's been fine ever since, despite the crack that now runs halfway across it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a Scosche arm band HRM (rechargable, USB, with spare bands) and a CycleOps chest strap HRM (uses disposable CR2032 batteries) - both only used once before I decided I hate wearing HRMs. If you want them and can PM me relatively soon I'll toss one/both in the mail to you.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

90 miles on the bike today. Met two really cool guys on the ride who were going to the same place as me and let me tag along even though they were on carbon fibre and I was on my big landbarge touring bike with racks. I managed to keep up!! Then we all got beers together. Hooray for bikes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think I’ve asked in the past but I’m searching for a direction to head. Quad pain just on one side about midway up the leg. It’s on the side of the quad but not the IT band. Usually starts to hurt 20-30 minutes into the ride. Backing off helps but doesn’t fix it. Also not a great solution since I’m mountain biking and doing long climbs. I’m thinking it’s some sort of overuse thing, it came on last summer when my volume really picked up. The pain does last after I’m done and is quite sore as I sit here.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

n8r posted:

I think I’ve asked in the past but I’m searching for a direction to head. Quad pain just on one side about midway up the leg. It’s on the side of the quad but not the IT band. Usually starts to hurt 20-30 minutes into the ride. Backing off helps but doesn’t fix it. Also not a great solution since I’m mountain biking and doing long climbs. I’m thinking it’s some sort of overuse thing, it came on last summer when my volume really picked up. The pain does last after I’m done and is quite sore as I sit here.

n8r posted:

Given your issues maybe you get a little slack, but honestly this is likely a technique issue. Work on good body position and being in that attack position. If you don’t absorb bumps with your legs you’ll rattle off pedals regardless of disabilities.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

n8r posted:

Have you considered lowering your expectations? Perhaps this is just a new reality of getting older.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I’ve had two bike fittings and it’s been happening for 9 months so that’s unfortunately not a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Welp. Money well spent i guess