Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i watched through the modok show instead of doing work today. it's fine. only a couple jokes really got me to laugh, but none of it made me roll my eyes or want to be dead. 7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

i watched through the modok show instead of doing work today. it's fine. only a couple jokes really got me to laugh, but none of it made me roll my eyes or want to be dead. 7/10

I won't watch it but I am pleased to learn it's actually stop motion, I just assumed it was another CG thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

I won't watch it but I am pleased to learn it's actually stop motion, I just assumed it was another CG thing.

haha, i was thinking about how it's stop motion that's so good that it looks like cg, and an animator i follow on the youtubes called worthikids' whole jam lately has been making 3d animation that's so good looks like old rankin bass stop motion

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Highlander with henry cavill and john wick director

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

highlander 2 with babu frik and suburban sasquatch director

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The William Petersen's Manhunter is better than Silence of the Lambs.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

Oh god yes! That scene where he's working out the crime scene has such an unsettling direction and framing to it - it's one of my favorite shots of all time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vakal posted:

Yup. Manhunter is so loving good. It's one of those movies that just hooked me in immediately and instantly became one of my favorite films.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Manhunter rules, that got me into being a lifelong Michael Mann fan.

The end shootout is so chaotic and wild with the music cranked.

Tom Noonan is one scary loving dude. Also: Stephen Lang (soldier guy from Avatar) was the weaselly tabloid reporter guy aka flaming wheelchair man

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also, on my most recent rewatch I noticed that Chris Elliot is one of the investigators.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vakal posted:

Also, on my most recent rewatch I noticed that Chris Elliot is one of the investigators.

Whoaaaa mind blown

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

Manhunter rules, that got me into being a lifelong Michael Mann fan.

The end shootout is so chaotic and wild with the music cranked.

Tom Noonan is one scary loving dude. Also: Stephen Lang (soldier guy from Avatar) was the weaselly tabloid reporter guy aka flaming wheelchair man

I liked his movies before I saw Manhunter. When I learned that the dude who made Heat and Collateral had a Hannibal Lector movie predating Silence of the Lambs, I was like "I gotta check this out" and I was totally blown away.

That shootout at the end is insane. The music, they repeat some of the sequences and they cut/skip frames in some parts. Just perfect.

Joan Allen is great in it, too.

There's some other Mann regulars that show up in there too like Dennis Farina.

A good movie to pair that with is William Friedkin's To Live and Die in LA.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Manhunter is easily the best of all the Hannibal movies.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Vakal posted:

I wonder if Mann is a big fan, he also showed up in Miami Vice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mallratcal posted:

Absolutely agree, Brian Cox is great as Lecter too. Of course Hopkins was great too but I am a fan of Cox’s in general.

I watched Red Dagon and was constantly comparing it negatively to Manhunter. The only person I felt did a great job was Ralph Fiennes but Tom Noonan still had a better mix of pitiable and monstrous.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Netflix is advising me that the snyder zombie movie contains brief nudity/graphic nudity.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

I watched Red Dagon and was constantly comparing it negatively to Manhunter. The only person I felt did a great job was Ralph Fiennes but Tom Noonan still had a better mix of pitiable and monstrous.

Red Dragon is fuckin dogshit. It's Brett Ratner doing a Demme and Scott impression. Fiennes is great but the Noonan version is the better one for the reasons you mentioned. It's been a while since I watched Red Dragon but I don't really remember being at all terrified of him, even in the scene when he has Lounds tied up (Do you see?)

edit:

Tip posted:

I wonder if Mann is a big fan, he also showed up in Miami Vice.

I'll use this as an opportunity to remind everyone that if you haven't watched at least the first 3 seasons of Miami Vice (or if it's been a while) you should definitely do so.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 21, 2021

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'll use this as an opportunity to remind everyone that if you haven't watched at least the first 3 seasons of Miami Vice (or if it's been a while) you should definitely do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFpRHqK28Q

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Chris Elliot was great in Home Alone. loved when he turned into a skeleton in the second one.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Reality Protester posted:

Chris Elliot was great in Home Alone. loved when he turned into a skeleton in the second one.

Yeah man, totally. :rolleyes:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

DebonaireD posted:

Netflix is advising me that the snyder zombie movie contains brief nudity/graphic nudity.

I just watched it and there is indeed some topless dancers ripping out the throat of a Liberace impersonator

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

is it grey enough?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Boobs in a snyder film? WTF?

That weirdo digitally erased the boob in Dawn of the Dead because he's so mortified by human sexuality.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

It's a tough pick.

Hannibal is so schlocky and fun and endlessly rewatchable.

Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece of the thriller genre and Hopkins, of course, owns.

But Manhunter is Michael Mann as gently caress, and anything that's Michael Mann as gently caress is always god drat fantastic.

And that's it. Those three. There are no other Hannibal movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Well poo poo.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Guess who just bought manhuntter on blue ray guys!!

E: oh whoops this is awkward

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Don’t ever make me choose between the Hannibal TV Show and the good Hannibal movies tho.

I am still flabbergasted something that amazing and daring was ever on network broadcast television

E also lol apparently that snyder zombie movie has obvious dead pixels right in the middle probably from one of the cameras and they didn’t notice or care in post production.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

lol

army of the dead pixels

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Colin and Jay are discussing on twitters

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1395890791944495105

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This Army of Dead is as hard to watch as the trailer. Everything is extremely loving out of focus (digitally) except the faces. It's like Snyder personally smeared vaseline on the camera lens to spike me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

Don’t ever make me choose between the Hannibal TV Show and the good Hannibal movies tho.

I am still flabbergasted something that amazing and daring was ever on network broadcast television

E also lol apparently that snyder zombie movie has obvious dead pixels right in the middle probably from one of the cameras and they didn’t notice or care in post production.

Have you watched Clarice? I watched the first two episodes and it was so loving boring.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I very strongly disliked Army of the Dead, probably the most negative reaction I've had to a movie since Polar. The pacing, framing, editing, focus, camera movement, lens flares... under an average director I'd just think the script was dumb, action dull, and characters unlikeable, but the snydering elevated it to downright unpleasant.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I have this set specifically for Manhunter, it's affordable! I also own the Manhunter vinyl which is baller as gently caress: https://waxworkrecords.com/products/manhunter

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you watched Clarice? I watched the first two episodes and it was so loving boring.

Naw I was not interested in it from the start, it seemed to be incredibly an milquetoast take on it from what little I had heard of it.

I want a new season of “Evil” to come out, that was pretty cool.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's a tough pick.

Hannibal is so schlocky and fun and endlessly rewatchable.

Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece of the thriller genre and Hopkins, of course, owns.

But Manhunter is Michael Mann as gently caress, and anything that's Michael Mann as gently caress is always god drat fantastic.

And that's it. Those three. There are no other Hannibal movies.

I'm no fan of the movie Hannibal but it is hard to hate Anthony Hopkins just having a good time.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I got 3 episodes in before bailing. I was looking forward to the show too, despite knowing the people running the show. Looking at it's ratings and it's likely going to be cancelled.

Sure am glad we got that instead of a final season of Hannibal.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
clarice is another alex kurtzman winner, the man can't be stopped

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So this Snyder guy, does he always have to have a gimmick visual style? Like you either have slowdown speedup slow-mo, or completely confusing blurry background to rile people up. I haven't watched his early movies did he have unwatchable gimmick visual style?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So this Snyder guy, does he always have to have a gimmick visual style? Like you either have slowdown speedup slow-mo, or completely confusing blurry background to rile people up. I haven't watched his early movies did he have unwatchable gimmick visual style?

Yes.

300, Sucker punch, watchmen all had the slo-mo and blurs.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Manhunter [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CM1ICK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[Gary Oldman voice] "Cordell?"