Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CJacobs posted:

Yeah and the coolness comes from the fact that he is surely still scared out of his drat mind, something you're reminded of with each yell of fight, instead of it just being another standard hero's journey steam roller of building confidence.

Edit: imo it genuinely is a pretty unique approach to have him look at that kind of doubt-inspiring fear during cutscenes and say "well gently caress it, when it's over I won't be scared, so I won't be scared now". But it's a half truth, like Shaggy and Scooby Doo or somethin'. RE7 had more of it though, here it's more the follow-through of that.

Why would Ethan be scared out of his mind? He's armed to the teeth, been through worse before, is literally immortal and we know this since the beginning section of RE7, and they stole his bayby. Your character gasping and grunting and acting scared in cutscenes when the context and gameplay is the opposite. I'm not sure if you're joking with that unique approach thing because all horror games cca 2010 - 2016 had you playe as a scared protag that pushes through. Only they didn't give you landmines and pipe bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ethan isn’t immortal, games got plenty of gruesome game overs in it. He can totally be killed.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No those are knockouts :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really think it is hypocritical in that way, though. You're toting around an arsenal which even frequently upgrades in lethality yes, but in between exploding things with that arsenal your dude has to sit on a stump and think about what the gently caress he just did, cool and violent and scarring though it was all at the same time. Horror games, even the ones you mention from that era all about connecting the player to the pulse of the protag, skip that part because well writing ethos is hard. Well RE8 didn't skip it and imo they did a great job. I agree with the post above about the plot's gaps and shortcomings in any case.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He also taunts some of the bosses he kills. The man is not all fear, hes just a dad trying to enjoy a vacation with his family to Europes worst resort

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Barudak posted:

He also taunts some of the bosses he kills. The man is not all fear, hes just a dad trying to enjoy a vacation with his family to Europes worst resort

Yeah but in the absolute worst way. It's a step up from just saying "No, no, you're a stupid idiot. " And it's great. Dude couldn't pull a witty one liner if he got a book 100 Witty One Liners in Life Threatening Situations Where Your Daughter Has Been Kidnapped for Christmas. But he's so earnest in trying to sound like a badass.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ethan being dumb as hell is 100% diagetic.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

"Huh... stupid witch"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but in the absolute worst way. It's a step up from just saying "No, no, you're a stupid idiot. " And it's great. Dude couldn't pull a witty one liner if he got a book 100 Witty One Liners in Life Threatening Situations Where Your Daughter Has Been Kidnapped for Christmas. But he's so earnest in trying to sound like a badass.

" Your right hand comes off?"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RE8 succeeds at doing what it set out to do with flying colors.

Of course what it set out to do was chase half a decade old trends without understanding them, betting on that the next gen graphics will sell the haunted house ride to a wider audience.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

bony tony posted:

" Your right hand comes off?"

The line is “You’re right hand comes off?”

I firmly believe that Leon somehow spoke the wrong homonym of the word.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

One of Starcraft 2’s coop maps has a strict time limit with a character who would yell at you as your approached it. You push up that limit by collecting parts from around the map. So you’d repeatedly hit that warning threshold and get yelled at constantly.

The map also had a time-limited secondary objective to blow up a couple of trains, and unlike the other maps with time-limited secondary objectives, the announcer would yell at you as time ran out on that too.

The secondary objective for the Scythe of Amon map requires you to clear out the enemy from the path for an evacuation shuttle. It was way harder than any other map’s secondary objective, because of the shuttle did not want to wait for you. If left very little room for mistakes when clearing out a huge portion of the map. It also delayed your economic expansion because its first stop was not in the direction of the expansion site.

"STOP GOING THAT WAY! THERE'S A ZERG BASE IN THAT DIRECTION, IDIOT!"

Well, yeah! Why are you bitching at me for having fun wiping out the enemy, game?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ethan is an idiot, but he's mostly a lovable idiot. It's Chris who's the supreme idiot here

"I didn't want to tell you the plan because I knew you'd get involved" Motherfucker, you burst into my house and, as far as I know, murdered my wife in front of me for no reason, you think I'm just going to "stay out of it"? And then you meet him again at the reservoir, after slaughtering a few dozen villagers and half of the Lords, and he still just tells you to stay out of it?
I mean he at least acknowledges that that was stupid later on, but COME ON

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Retro Futurist posted:

Ethan is an idiot, but he's mostly a lovable idiot. It's Chris who's the supreme idiot here

"I didn't want to tell you the plan because I knew you'd get involved" Motherfucker, you burst into my house and, as far as I know, murdered my wife in front of me for no reason, you think I'm just going to "stay out of it"? And then you meet him again at the reservoir, after slaughtering a few dozen villagers and half of the Lords, and he still just tells you to stay out of it?

He still remembers when Wesker tried to explain something to him, and he bullied him to tears. He's terrified of being on the other end of that conversation.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil Village
Previous player of REmakes 1-3 and 7. Never beat 4.
  • The beginning of the game is fairly protracted. First you have a long slog of a walk in the snow, then a grueling hold-the-line segment. Afterwards there's a bunch of cutscenes that build a cast of characters who are immediately killed off. It's only when you enter Castle Dimitrescu does the game begin. At the very least you're not stuck in a garage frantically trying to kill a redneck before you can explore.
  • You should really avoid upgrading your starting weapons. The starting handgun is a piece of poo poo already but it immediately becomes useless after the first level as the next handgun is a straight upgrade. There's a third tier of handguns and shotguns but their power is balanced by their exorbitant upgrade cost.
  • There's a ton of missable collectibles in the Reservoir. There's one point you get off a boat and five seconds later you can enter a tent which triggers the next setpiece. Before entering that tent is your only chance to score some priceless materials that are in limited supply only twenty meters away.
  • Of the five levels I liked the fourth, the stronghold, the least. This zone has no puzzles and is a straight-up slugfest out of DOOM or Far Cry. However you're still the same fragile dude with limited resources and it will be a huge slog if you don't realise you must press on through in the middle of combat because the enemies will keep respawning. By comparison there's another combat setpiece where you're playing as Chris 'Boulder-Fucker' Redfield but he's packed to the gills with ammo and the segment doesn't overstay its welcome.
  • The fifth area is more traditional but it goes overboard with the enemy tiers. First you have cyborg-zombies with weak-points on their chests. Then cyborg-zombies with weak-points on their backs. Then cyborg-zombies with jetpacks. Finally cyborg-zombies wearing full body-armour who ambush you in the dark. Five of the game's nine enemy-types are housed in this factory alone when they'd be better served as optional bosses or challenge room fodder.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

Did Rebecca and Barry retire or something? Surely there's someone left who they can deploy that also understands how human people function too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Did Rebecca and Barry retire or something? Surely there's someone left who they can deploy that also understands how human people function too.

Time for Billy loving Coen to finally make his comeback

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RareAcumen posted:

There's like 8 different organizations who deal with BOWs and they all wind up going corrupt and have their leadership mutate so everyone gets bounced around

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I thought RE8 was pretty fun but I do agree that the story was really weak at points.

I really hated the big reveal of 'You were dead this entire time idiot, didn't you see our amazing foreshadowing of *checks notes* allowing you to heal in a video game?'

Maybe I missed some other foreshadowing but even when you're getting chomped on by the vampire lady and daughters they don't mention anything being off.

I also thought Ethan was an incredibly boring character, but one of my friends is talking him up like he's the best protagonist he's played with in years. I totally don't see it, but power to him.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

moosecow333 posted:

Maybe I missed[...]

Yes, you did.
Lady D takes a sip of Ethan's blood and literally says "hmm, starting to go a little stale." Some of that healing is also super ridiculous. He quickly recovers from having hooks in his hands and legs. And then a bit later he puts his hand back, not even needing to have it stapled on like RE7.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:30 on May 20, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They shouldn't have made this optional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWvwI-ehls

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like the box art and I like the game :colbert:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nice to know Capcom are continuing the tradition of Chris Redfield being just awful whenever he's in a Resi game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Don't really agree with any of this but I do like the deluxe edition art, which is a fairly minimalist shot of some raven wings coming into the frame.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nobody really agrees with Chris Redfield but he gets the job done

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Rebecca realised she was better at puzzles than shooting and aparently retired to do vaccine research at some university.

I appreciate Ethan Winters being a perennially clowned-on actual everyman - slightly out of his depth and pushing forward on a mix of terrified piss, fake bravado, and drugs. Though honestly the amount of punishment he takes borders on the fetishistic; it takes up so much time it doesn't leave mush room for anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lunar Suite posted:

I appreciate Ethan Winters being a perennially clowned-on actual everyman - slightly out of his depth and pushing forward on a mix of terrified piss, fake bravado, and drugs. Though honestly the amount of punishment he takes borders on the fetishistic; it takes up so much time it doesn't leave mush room for anything else.

:golfclap:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I always forget how hard Starcraft 2 did Selendis dirty. In Wings of Liberty, she's a big, imposing, badass protoss who's very alien and inhuman, and takes to battle in a super-carrier.

In Legacy of the Void, her model got redone to make her a half-naked purple human and she spends the entire campaign as a damsel in distress who's the voice of the villain because she got corrupted.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

Rebecca realised she was better at puzzles than shooting and aparently retired to do vaccine research at some university.

It's wild how much torture is inflicted upon him. Like, in the area after the castle, there are enemies that, when attacking, just repeatedly stab through his hands and arms for their animation and it's just like jesus christ

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Hey RareAcumen, spoiler that poo poo and mark it Not Safe For Life. I was eating while reading this thread and I nearly puked. Have a little common sense, for gently caress's sake...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

:allears:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Lunar Suite posted:

You fucker.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Morpheus posted:

It's wild how much torture is inflicted upon him. Like, in the area after the castle, there are enemies that, when attacking, just repeatedly stab through his hands and arms for their animation and it's just like jesus christ

Eh, not that similar to Jesus Christ. He had nails in his hands and feet and spear to his side, yeah, but it was only the one time

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I always forget how hard Starcraft 2 did Selendis dirty. In Wings of Liberty, she's a big, imposing, badass protoss who's very alien and inhuman, and takes to battle in a super-carrier.

In Legacy of the Void, her model got redone to make her a half-naked purple human and she spends the entire campaign as a damsel in distress who's the voice of the villain because she got corrupted.

blizzard.txt

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Has there been a blizzard game that doesn’t revolve around the plot of *someone gets corrupted by evil and then does evil things*

I swear the writers must have a fetish or something for how often it comes up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

Has there been a blizzard game that doesn’t revolve around the plot of *someone gets corrupted by evil and then does evil things*

Rock and Roll Racing

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vic posted:

Rock and Roll Racing

That's only because they ran out of cartridge space and couldn't fit in the betrayal storyline

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

"power corrupts" is a lot more interesting when not taken literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There's a lot of interesting subtext in The Lost Vikings re: Baelog being the only one with a sword.