Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mushroom hooch does not sound delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
“My name is Fester. It means to rot”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mushroom hooch does not sound delicious

It was made by dwarves in the Dragonlance series! :eng101:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's a lady over to the island who comes to the market, a mushroom farmer. I've been kind of curious about her mushroom kits, mostly the lion's mane ones.

https://www.thefungiconnection.com/products/diy-mushroom-grow-kit-local-delivery-option

It's probably wildly expensive per pound but it seems like a neat little thing to do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

It was made by dwarves in the Dragonlance series! :eng101:

I don’t know if that’s an argument for or against it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...I absolutely thought I was in the weed thread, my link was for psilocybin mushrooms. My bad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The Uncle Ben's tech is legit, I can't imagine it wouldn't work for normal mushrooms.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

...I absolutely thought I was in the weed thread, my link was for psilocybin mushrooms. My bad.

However could you have made an error like that?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I was gifted a North Spore lions mane kit last year. It was pretty fun when there was nothing going on with the pandemic. I have a black thumb otherwise but got a good first flush and made some “crab” cakes with it. I enjoyed it so much I bought an oyster kit as a gift for someone else.

If you think you might like a fun little hobby thing like this then you probably will. I’m definitely interested in growing more.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Anyone ever try hot pot or Shabu shabu at home? One of my best dining experiences ever was at a shabu shabu place in San Francisco. Only other ones I've found have been Chinese and it's not my favorite. Wondering if anyone has tried the devices they sell for it on Amazon. Is this the dumbest thing I could attempt at home as a general purpose white person?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hotpot is pretty hard to mess up as long as you have a portable burner, buy a bunch of ingredients and go in

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I haven't personally made it but I know you need very thinly sliced meat for it so that it cooks really quickly when you dunk it in the hot broth.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We do hotpot probably once a week. I have a little induction burner and divided pot so I can do two broths. It’s an easy meal to prep and there’s really no limit to ingredients. Really fond of beech mushroom ms, tofu skins, bean sprouts, tofu puffs, and rice vermicelli. Lately I’ve also started poaching an egg for each of us in the broth, and that’s pretty great too. Pork belly and flounder have been the only things I didn’t really like in it, but ymmv.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Seconding the recommendation for a portable induction cooktop for hotpot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know anything about what brands are good among induction burners. Mine is a Berghoff and it has served me well though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i got one of these last year and it's gotten a lot of use. does nabe, yakiniku, and just a flat griddle for pancakes or w/e. dunno if they've got them outside of japan tho.
got a cast iron takoyaki pan too that's been fun.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We do hotpot probably once a week. I have a little induction burner and divided pot so I can do two broths. It’s an easy meal to prep and there’s really no limit to ingredients. Really fond of beech mushroom ms, tofu skins, bean sprouts, tofu puffs, and rice vermicelli. Lately I’ve also started poaching an egg for each of us in the broth, and that’s pretty great too. Pork belly and flounder have been the only things I didn’t really like in it, but ymmv.

Based on this post I am actually Flash Gordon Ramsay. Tofu skin totally my favorite thing, along with napa cabbage. The Ranch 99 I go to has these great little fuzhou fish balls that are stuffed with pork that we toss in sometimes as well.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Helith posted:

I haven't personally made it but I know you need very thinly sliced meat for it so that it cooks really quickly when you dunk it in the hot broth.

Most asian grocers will have these presliced and frozen, and it's definitely worth getting that over trying to cut thin enough slices yourself (you won't be able to).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

enki42 posted:

Most asian grocers will have these presliced and frozen, and it's definitely worth getting that over trying to cut thin enough slices yourself (you won't be able to).

Just a trick if anyone is going to try to cut it themselves - freeze the meat first (or close to frozen), the stiffness makes it way easier to cut thinly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Just a trick if anyone is going to try to cut it themselves - freeze the meat first (or close to frozen), the stiffness makes it way easier to cut thinly.

And get a band saw.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Can someone who knows what they're talking about make an effortpost thread for pretty cakes? I'm starting to dabble and want to see baker goons talk shop and post pictures of their gorgeous decorated cakes. There is an ancient thread from like 2008 but most of the images were on waffleimages

I would love to contribute to a thread like this, but absolutely don't have time to make it.

I'm not the best cake decorator in the world, but I've gotten paid for it before. :v:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 22, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I would love to contribute to a thread like this, but absolutely don't have time to make it.

I'm not the best cake decorator in the world, but I've gotten paid for it before. :v:

Same

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

enki42 posted:

I'm in an area with lots of asians and the hot pot meat is generally thawed and in the meat case.

Can anyone give me recommendations for hot pot broth? Most places here do "house special spicy" broth. Is this just some sort of mix I should be looking for at 99 Ranch or what?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I don't think I've seen it frozen at markets.

You can buy Sichuan hotpot mix packets or you can just find recipes online (it's not hard or time consuming, but if you're already at an asian market I think they're like $1 so easier to just grab one probably). It's just dried peppers, spices, and stock basically though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 22, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

VelociBacon posted:

different cuts/dishes but i did the same when slicing beef for bulgogi this past week. makes cutting thinner pieces waaaaaaaaaay easier

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I'm in an area with lots of asians and the hot pot meat is generally thawed and in the meat case.

Can anyone give me recommendations for hot pot broth? Most places here do "house special spicy" broth. Is this just some sort of mix I should be looking for at 99 Ranch or what?

I buy the Angry Lady brand mix when I want spicy hot pot, then add extra garlic and stuff on top of it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I buy the Angry Lady brand mix when I want spicy hot pot, then add extra garlic and stuff on top of it.
Yeah LGM hot pot mix is aces, way more of a distinct Sichuan peppercorn note than any of the other hot pot mixes I've tried. I use it more for making dry pot than hot pot but w/e.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Oh! That reminds me. I have a dalemma. I bought some white urad dal out of curiosity. I made dal with them but did not care AT ALL for the weird glutinous texture. Now I have most of a bag still to use. What should I do with them?

Medu vada.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made the king arthur lemon meringue pie recipe on their website which uses a pie crust that's just made with vegetable oil. I knew the crust wasn't going to be good and -surprise- it wasn't good so now I'm complaining about it here because I guess that's my gimmick now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mystes posted:

I made the king arthur lemon meringue pie recipe on their website which uses a pie crust that's just made with vegetable oil. I knew the crust wasn't going to be good and -surprise- it wasn't good so now I'm complaining about it here because I guess that's my gimmick now.
Dunno about vegetable oil but I make most of my pie crusts with olive oil and I have people tell me my pies are the best they've ever eaten, so I'm not sure oil-based crusts are always something to be leery of.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man
i really feel like making some homemade fuckinnnnn chips
like UK chips not US chips (although those are pretty good homemade too)

cut up some potatoes, throw them in the fryer, get a shitload of salt and vinegar on those fuckers
top shelf poo poo

might have a burger too because why not, make the patty myself

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

hbag posted:

man
i really feel like making some homemade fuckinnnnn chips
like UK chips not US chips (although those are pretty good homemade too)

cut up some potatoes, throw them in the fryer, get a shitload of salt and vinegar on those fuckers
top shelf poo poo

might have a burger too because why not, make the patty myself

Once I learned the beauty of putting vinegar on chips I graduated to hot sauce, come with us if you want to live.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bloody ghost titty posted:

Once I learned the beauty of putting vinegar on chips I graduated to hot sauce, come with us if you want to live.

implying i dont already fuckin love hot sauce

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is making french fries really worth the effort? I don't really enjoy deep frying in general because I don't like dealing with the oil.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

Is making french fries really worth the effort? I don't really enjoy deep frying in general because I don't like dealing with the oil.

if you cut the potatoes yourself and youre not just tossing storebought poo poo in a fryer, yes

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Personally I just do wedge-style fries in the oven when I cook them at home.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

Personally I just do wedge-style fries in the oven when I cook them at home.

Same.

I don’t believe I’ve ever deep-fried anything in my life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

Same.

I don’t believe I’ve ever deep-fried anything in my life.

Nobody's perfect.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
My attempts at deep frying were delicious beyond my wildest dreams and I've never done it again because the inevitable oil waste and tidying up put me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made falafel for tonight's dinner and I have to decide if I'm going to deep fry them or just bake them.