Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

moosecow333 posted:

Has there been a blizzard game that doesn’t revolve around the plot of *someone gets corrupted by evil and then does evil things*

I swear the writers must have a fetish or something for how often it comes up.

I'm fairly sure no one in Overwatch got corrupted by evil juice or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

I'm fairly sure no one in Overwatch got corrupted by evil juice or anything.

Widowmaker

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Widowmaker

Also Reaper. Moira might be a more metaphorical edge case.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Plus the original story for Mercy was that she has a big dark secret, but they kinda forgot about that.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Rainbow Six: Siege: The default edition of the game has no operators unlocked. The "deluxe" edition has the first 10 attackers and defenders unlocked, for a bit more money.

If you buy the wrong version, you need to remove it from your account and refund it to buy the other version. There's no option to upgrade and it's not DLC, it's two different versions of the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The final character unlocked in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is unplayable. Not in the 'too gimmicky or terrible to be worth using' way, though--they're actually very strong. It's not glitchy, either. Rather, they're unusable because they basically render it impossible to see anything.

Calamity Ganon's attacks all fill the screen with bright red energy, bright enough to not just eclipse the action but to also be kind of difficult to actually look at (not 'potential health hazard' difficult, just violently bright). I really want to be able to play as him, he's really interesting and strong, but I can't even look at him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

moosecow333 posted:

Has there been a blizzard game that doesn’t revolve around the plot of *someone gets corrupted by evil and then does evil things*

I swear the writers must have a fetish or something for how often it comes up.

It crops up now and again in Hearthstone but the tone is so endearingly silly it doesn't matter.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As others have said, the FOV in Resident Evil Village is way too narrow, I have been bouncing off the game repeatedly (playing on standard) because the initial action setpiece is pretty frustrating when there's that many enemies. I pretty much ran around a bunch because I knew it was a setpiece like the beginning of Resident Evil 4, although I doubt it was intentional the way that more often not being able to see stuff anywhere near the periphery until it's too late and you get attacked.
Now I've got past that I'm enjoying the game a lot more.
Big mobs and lovely weapons at the start of a game are barely ever fun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
RE8 is pretty damned good but I don't know wtf they were going for with the mapping system. Which is odd because this is usually a strength of the series. RE8 doesn't scribble off dead ends for some reason

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

RE8 is pretty damned good but I don't know wtf they were going for with the mapping system. Which is odd because this is usually a strength of the series. RE8 doesn't scribble off dead ends for some reason

Its most annoying in the titular village where there are a ton of roads that are blocked off but show as paths on the map.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah it's weirdly bad in the outdoor areas. It's such an odd contrast because their normal map works really well as soon as you get into the castle.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah it's weirdly bad in the outdoor areas. It's such an odd contrast because their normal map works really well as soon as you get into the castle.

The map sucks and its weird how they've taken the brilliant QoL advances that Remake 2 bought in, but then added a bunch of inconveniences for....aesthetics, I guess. Just add a hand-drawn x in red ink like Silent Hill.

On the other hand, I love the noises that the buttons make as you navigate menus and inventories and maps in this game. They're so distinctively Capcom and make me think of Devil May Cry on the PS2

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The more I play Monster Hunter Rise, the more I'm starting the loathe the camera. It's simple too close, with too small an FoV. If you're in melee range your entire screen is filled with monster rear end, and even a small movement of the monster will transport it out of view entirely. Against the more mobile monsters, it feels like I'm spending half the time just loving around with the camera to keep it in view, as opposed to actually fighting it.

Now, there's an auto tracking mode for the camera that helps some with this, but that one has a whole new set of problems. For one, it is incredibly hyperactive and will track even the smallest movement with minimal smoothing, to the point where it's borderline motion-sickness inducing. Secondly, it really wants the target focus positioned in the upper half of the screen, so when you're fighting against a monster bigger than yourself (i.e. pretty much all of them), the camera is smooshed down against the ground.

What makes this extra annoying is that it seems like the devs recognized these issues, since they put in customizable options addressing them. They are just entirely insufficient. The slider for camera distance goes from "way too loving close" to "still entirely too close". The selector for the minimum camera height of the tracking camera just has two options that work out to either "ankle height" or "knee height".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The more I play Monster Hunter Rise, the more I'm starting the loathe the camera. It's simple too close, with too small an FoV. If you're in melee range your entire screen is filled with monster rear end, and even a small movement of the monster will transport it out of view entirely. Against the more mobile monsters, it feels like I'm spending half the time just loving around with the camera to keep it in view, as opposed to actually fighting it.

Now, there's an auto tracking mode for the camera that helps some with this, but that one has a whole new set of problems. For one, it is incredibly hyperactive and will track even the smallest movement with minimal smoothing, to the point where it's borderline motion-sickness inducing. Secondly, it really wants the target focus positioned in the upper half of the screen, so when you're fighting against a monster bigger than yourself (i.e. pretty much all of them), the camera is smooshed down against the ground.

What makes this extra annoying is that it seems like the devs recognized these issues, since they put in customizable options addressing them. They are just entirely insufficient. The slider for camera distance goes from "way too loving close" to "still entirely too close". The selector for the minimum camera height of the tracking camera just has two options that work out to either "ankle height" or "knee height".

I feel like they made up for the added player mobility by making the new monsters constantly blast around the screen so you're spending half your time moving the camera. It's especially bad with the new flagship monster, the purple laser wolf whose name I forget.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The town butcher?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zil posted:

Plus the original story for Mercy was that she has a big dark secret, but they kinda forgot about that.

I thought her big dark secret was she rezzed Reaper wrong and that's why he's a grimdark tryhard

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought her big dark secret was she rezzed Reaper wrong and that's why he's a grimdark tryhard

I think they had Moira become the person who revives him.

I think Mercy’s terrible secret should be that she’s actually from Wyoming

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rydiafan posted:

The town butcher?

Monster Hunter: Chicago was a bold change for the series after Anatevka, but it really benefited the roofing system it introduced

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Simiain posted:

The map sucks and its weird how they've taken the brilliant QoL advances that Remake 2 bought in, but then added a bunch of inconveniences for....aesthetics, I guess. Just add a hand-drawn x in red ink like Silent Hill.

Seriously, this.

The interior maps, while sprawling a bit, at least clearly mark dead ends and points of interest. I think the village maps were done this way on purpose for some reason I can't figure out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it’s because the dead ends change as the game progresses. Blockages are cleared and new ways are cut off

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been playing Jenny LeClue, a cute murder mystery adventure game with a fun meta take on having the "real world" author/narrator involved in the story as it plays out. It's fun, but one thing I don't like is that a central gimmick involves a prompt appearing for you to move a magnifying glass around the screen to find a hidden object. Fine, but it takes a couple seconds to ID the object once you find it, and 95% of them are art gallery unlocks or sticker collectibles that I don't care about. But every once in a while they throw in a plot relevant item so I feel compelled to search almost every time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There’s a lot I could write about Fallout 4, but I really hate that the lever action rifle reload animation always shows you loading five rounds even if you only fired one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The collectible system in Returnal sucks rear end. You're finding scouting logs and xenoglyph ciphers that help you read alien text, but they're completely random and exist in certain rooms. Except certain rooms are also 'rare' and don't spawn every run. How do you know if you're on a run that will even contain a collectible? You get to search every single loving room on the map. And if you're not? Congratulations you just wasted fifteen minutes.

I was all set to find these things but an hour later and I haven't found a single one, so I'm pretty sure I'm putting this game down.

Housemarque you're good at shooting. Maybe put a bit more work into the other areas of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RandolphCarter posted:

There’s a lot I could write about Fallout 4, but I really hate that the lever action rifle reload animation always shows you loading five rounds even if you only fired one.

I know there's a mod to fix that, because it bothered a lot of people. Especially since it's not a problem in New Vegas, near as I remember anyway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Had I the skill, I'd fix it by having you constantly feeding ammunition into it whenever you weren't shooting, as an idle animation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
feed your gun plenty of gun food to keep it healthy

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Like the doggo minigun from New Vegas

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The last boss of Boktai features a boss that regenerates health by grabbing you.

That's fine. The problem is you have an AI companion it can also grab that runs right into the attack and also heals it.

And you have to play it in the sun.

And if you die there's a long, unskippable cutscene.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 14:57 on May 24, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The constant nihilism of Fallout 4 (and series in general I guess) kinda drags the game down for me. Everyone is trying to kill you and everything is poo poo. At least in other post-apocalyptic games like Horizon Zero Dawn society have been somewhat rebuilt and not everyone you meet is hostile.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My Little Things Dragging This Game Down is: lack of editing, dragging down so many games. Games never know how long a conversation should be or seem to have any desire for brevity, so dialogue exchanges are often repetitive and go on for 2-3 times as long as they need to be. Even games with great writing suffer from this. I'm playing Yakuza 0 now, and loving it, and the writing is a highlight, but even then I so often see long rambling dialogue box spam where a decent editor could have stepped in and tightened things up.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Played through Oddworld: New 'n Tasty on a whim this weekend. It was okay, but I have some gripes:

- The default controls are terrible. There is no dedicated button to do the very important short hops (this is an optional toggle, and I understand that it was patched in later), there is a "check health" button in a game where most everything is a one-hit kill or effectively stunlocks you to death anyways, Abe defaults to running full tilt when it is hardly ever prudent to do so (swapping run/walk is another optional toggle). Speech commands are all done with the D-pad, so you are forced to play this largely precision-based platformer with the stick. Naturally, you can't rebind buttons. There isn't even an option to just use the layout from the original games.

- The roll was changed for zero reason. In Oddysee and Exoddus, it was faster than walking but still let you start and stop on a dime, so it was your go-to maneuver for timing puzzles. They added a brief startup animation and a tiny bit of inertia when you stop, which is incredibly frustrating. Walking is still too slow and running is still too slippery, so you need to roll to get past saws and such, but I died way more to mistimed rolls than everything else combined.

- The number of Mudokons to save is tripled. That's fine, and they backported the "All of you!" command from future games so you don't have to direct them one at a time. But there is a petty annoyance with the end of the first level. In Oddysee, there is a sign at the end informing you that if you leave, all 28 workers there will die. The sign is still up, but doesn't tell you how many workers there are, and there are far more than 28 now. You have to backtrack to a directory to see how many are left, and the nearest directory at that point is a bit of a walk.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Atelier Lydie and Suelle: The player does not get to see any of the puppet shows.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bony tony posted:

Like the doggo minigun from New Vegas

Every time I've ever tried to shoot that gun the game has crashed

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

My Little Things Dragging This Game Down is: lack of editing, dragging down so many games. Games never know how long a conversation should be or seem to have any desire for brevity, so dialogue exchanges are often repetitive and go on for 2-3 times as long as they need to be. Even games with great writing suffer from this. I'm playing Yakuza 0 now, and loving it, and the writing is a highlight, but even then I so often see long rambling dialogue box spam where a decent editor could have stepped in and tightened things up.

Yeah, part of this obviously is that I want to get back to playing the game but I notice redundant dialogue in games a lot more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most video game writing suffers immensely for being overly reliant upon exposition. The number of words in any script dedicated purely to describing something for the player or where they should go next is honestly embarrassing. Death Stranding's dialogue was absolutely infuriating in this regard because every single character spoke in the same flat tone of voice and had perfect knowledge about the world, thus having no reason to discuss it with one another. Yet they did so at length because they were not actual characters, but mouthpieces for completely dry exposition.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I've been playing Miles Morales and there's been a couple points where you have to find a video file on a phone or whatever, watch it, listen to Miles basically summarize it to himself out loud, then call his friend, summarize it to him, and listen to him say like "wow, that's, that's a lot"

yeah Ganke it sure was

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm giving Outer Wilds (not Worlds) another try and something I didn't remember is how happy the autopilot is to kill you. I engaged it to get to a distant planet and it tried to go straight there even though my home planet was blocking the way. Then I remaneuvered myself after bouncing off it and reengaged the autopilot....only for it to send me straight through a tiny lava planet that popped up in the way :rip:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm giving Outer Wilds (not Worlds) another try and something I didn't remember is how happy the autopilot is to kill you. I engaged it to get to a distant planet and it tried to go straight there even though my home planet was blocking the way. Then I remaneuvered myself after bouncing off it and reengaged the autopilot....only for it to send me straight through a tiny lava planet that popped up in the way :rip:

I love that this unlocks a dialogue option to complain about it flying you into the sun and the guy at camp is just like "'yeah lol that happens"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love that this unlocks a dialogue option to complain about it flying you into the sun and the guy at camp is just like "'yeah lol that happens"

That's pretty fun. My other complaint is that there's no way (initially) to intentionally die or otherwise reset your run. Not something you think about at first, then you fall into a black hole that launches you across the solar system and you don't have enough fuel to get anywhere, so you just quietly sit there until your oxygen runs out :rip::hf::rip:
I guess you can find somebody to give you that skill, but it doesn't make much sense to me not to have it from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's pretty fun. My other complaint is that there's no way (initially) to intentionally die or otherwise reset your run. Not something you think about at first, then you fall into a black hole that launches you across the solar system and you don't have enough fuel to get anywhere, so you just quietly sit there until your oxygen runs out :rip::hf::rip:
I guess you can find somebody to give you that skill, but it doesn't make much sense to me not to have it from the start.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can remove your helmet