Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

HoboTech posted:

Yeah, I probably came off more conspiratorial than intended and agree with you. I do think Taliesin wasn't having as much fun with the character as he might have wanted, though. It really did seem like he was having some trouble in combat figuring out how the class worked best. Might be wrong but didn't Matt kind of rework the class a bit afterwards?

Between the design flaws and Molly's character just not synergizing well mechanically with the rest of the group, I really wasn't too sad to see him go once I got past the initial "oh poo poo they killed off a PC" phase.

While I did enjoy his chaotic energy, Cad just works so much better as the sane foil to everyone else's craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Keeping Molly dead also prompted some good character development for other characters. And then Cad came along and ruled. I didn't hate Molly, but his death was better for the story imo.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

HoboTech posted:

"Hello, my name is Hamlet Sasuke. The entire continent I lived on was wiped out and I am the last of my race. No, I will not stop crying, please stop asking."

That I could see him doing. He's just too emo. I know he loves doing it, but it just bugs me after two campaigns. Play some Blades in the Dark if you really want to be edgy as gently caress.

And I still want the Ashley one shot.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

effervescible posted:

Keeping Molly dead also prompted some good character development for other characters. And then Cad came along and ruled. I didn't hate Molly, but and his death was better for the story imo.
Cad really was a perfect addition to the party. The writers really knew what they were doing with that plot twist.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Nemo2342 posted:

Between the design flaws and Molly's character just not synergizing well mechanically with the rest of the group, I really wasn't too sad to see him go once I got past the initial "oh poo poo they killed off a PC" phase.

While I did enjoy his chaotic energy, Cad just works so much better as the sane foil to everyone else's craziness.

It was a melee class with light armor that has to spend its own hitpoints to fuel class features that aren't powerful at all. A glass cannon except without the cannon.

Talison repeatedly using Tiefling racial spells with a +0 charisma modifier was also not helping.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nemo2342 posted:

Yeah, before Cad, the group didn't really have that wholesome element like Pike was for VM. He's such a great grounding force for the group to keep poo poo from constantly spinning out of control and it does feel like he keeps Beau / Fjord / Veth / Caleb from being their worst selves.

Edit ^^^ Don't forget him being the only one who really was acting like a face character early on before Fjord and Jester really got their feet under them with their new characters.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Deuce posted:

It was a melee class with light armor that has to spend its own hitpoints to fuel class features that aren't powerful at all. A glass cannon except without the cannon.

Talison repeatedly using Tiefling racial spells with a +0 charisma modifier was also not helping.

I think the place it became really apparent that Molly fell behind the power curve was the Swamp, the fights where Fjord got the Eye of U'katoa. I think they were level 5ish? That entire fight was Molly getting his poo poo pushed in and Fjord pretty much dancing circles around him both in ranged and in melee combat despite Molly being a straight melee fighter.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Taliesin going from one of the worst classes to one of the best. Grave cleric rules.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I hope campaign 3's early chapters have a million different jokes and an ad read about who'll die first.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jetrauben posted:

I do wonder, at this point, if Molly is even saveable. On the one hand this entire construct is made of nothing but imagination and flesh stretched over a thousand years so I can't imagine manufacturing one (1) tiefling extra would be too hard, but on the other hand...

I think the fact Lucien is reacting so explicitly to Molly's name and the Mighty Nein calling out to Molly's traits means he has to be savable in some form. They may not find that way, but I think they will if they win for the simple reason that Caduceus has talked about just returning home to the Blooming Grove after this as if he's done with that life and I can see Taliesin using Molly in some post game one-shots to explore how the character reacts to the Nein saving him, as well as to explore the class after Matt reworked it in the meantime.

NowonSA posted:

Between Trent and Uka'toa I think there's enough meaty story stuff to be resolved in more depth than just a kind of ephemeral "do whatever you want" epilogue. I could definitely see this coming battle being the big deal final battle of the campaign though, and the rest of the story being resolved by just RPing various chats and actions.

I don''t think Uko'toa is all that major a remaining threat honestly, since he can't do anything himself and the Nein have beat back every force he's sent against them. I think a bigger missed thing for Fjord is Sabian. He asked those mercenaries they met at Rumblecusp to track Sabian down if I recall, and wanted to confront Sabian about the fact he'd sabotaged his old ship after a lifetime of loving Fjord around in general. It's possible Sabian will be an avatar of Uko'toa in a one-shot to fold those two parts of Fjord's character into a neat narrative bow that can be dealt with at once. Jester has that old hag trying to take revenge at some point too. Along with Trent, obvioulsy. I kind of wish we'd gotten more of Yasha at some point too. I'm not really sure how the campaign could do more with her though, beyond maybe coming across her tribe. I feel like there's some unfinished business with the demon summoning portals that they were tracking through the Dynasty's lands at one point too. Lots of fodder for one-shots, basically. Which is discounting the finale seeding more of them, akin to Grog getting lost at the end of campaign one.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

c1e43 motha loving zahra is back! Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is great. I skipped the kashaw stuff but he seems really great too

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 22, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

I think the fact Lucien is reacting so explicitly to Molly's name and the Mighty Nein calling out to Molly's traits means he has to be savable in some form. They may not find that way, but I think they will if they win for the simple reason that Caduceus has talked about just returning home to the Blooming Grove after this as if he's done with that life and I can see Taliesin using Molly in some post game one-shots to explore how the character reacts to the Nein saving him, as well as to explore the class after Matt reworked it in the meantime.

I don''t think Uko'toa is all that major a remaining threat honestly, since he can't do anything himself and the Nein have beat back every force he's sent against them. I think a bigger missed thing for Fjord is Sabian. He asked those mercenaries they met at Rumblecusp to track Sabian down if I recall, and wanted to confront Sabian about the fact he'd sabotaged his old ship after a lifetime of loving Fjord around in general. It's possible Sabian will be an avatar of Uko'toa in a one-shot to fold those two parts of Fjord's character into a neat narrative bow that can be dealt with at once. Jester has that old hag trying to take revenge at some point too. Along with Trent, obvioulsy. I kind of wish we'd gotten more of Yasha at some point too. I'm not really sure how the campaign could do more with her though, beyond maybe coming across her tribe. I feel like there's some unfinished business with the demon summoning portals that they were tracking through the Dynasty's lands at one point too. Lots of fodder for one-shots, basically. Which is discounting the finale seeding more of them, akin to Grog getting lost at the end of campaign one.

I think that might be part of why people are kind of incredulous about this being the endgame of the campaign. With C1, in the runup to the endgame everyone pretty much finished their personal story arcs. Most of the secondary antagonists had been dealt with. With MN, it seems like there are way more personal and secondary plot threads hanging than had been dealt with. I personally reject the idea that U'katoa isn't a threat just because they killed Avantika. The Ocean is huge and there's bound to be more of his cultists out and about. You've got the hag that Jester tricked, not to mention Nott's personal Goblin Shaman Nemesis what reincarnated her to begin with. They are literally marked by the Cerebrus Assembly and their band of Blackops Warcrime Wizards. Beau's personal foil in the Cobalt Soul was found out and expunged pretty much completely independently of what they did.

On the other hand though, the Nein are not Vox Machina, and they never really did the sorts of High Octane Heroics that VM did. VM was a very bombastic group that didn't really shy away from the scenarios they were thrust into and they saved civilization. The Nein's story is a lot more muted and is in a lot of ways about saving themselves and them accidentally saving civilization along the way. Most of the Nein are pretty averse to attention for their own reasons so it makes sense that they didn't become Champions of the Empire / Dynasty and more or less ran shadow ops. They spend large chunks of their time on the run, both metaphorically from their traumas, and literally on the run from an active threat. Maybe it works better this way because I don't think I would of been near as invested in this campaign if it was Vox Machina 2, Electric Boogaloo.

I am really curious about what they do with Campaign 3 though and what sort of group dynamic / style they settle into. I think similar to going from VM -> MN, I'll be disappointed if they have that same sort of dynamic that the Nein had. I'm also curious how much of the new D&D 5th edition splats they work into the campaign and not even in just the new races/archetypes stuff. One of the more recent books, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, came with a pretty explicit rework of how racial stats, abilities, and alignment work. It's a lot easier to be, say, a mountain dwarf who was born with fey blood and became a sorcerer and not be saddled with weird poo poo stat bonuses for a sorcerer. I kind of hope one of them rolls with one of the newer Ranger or Druid variants. Someone taking fighting style for thrown weapons or Unarmed fighting style or any of those other neat weird ones they released with the UAs.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

this would be a really cool thing to see, actually, as much as i did not care about that character originally, seeing tal do it again but in a Recovering Evil God kinda way would actually be interesting

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I just want someone to play a dwarf next campaign cause they haven't done that yet and I can only imagine the voice work fun that might come from that.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

eke out posted:

this would be a really cool thing to see, actually, as much as i did not care about that character originally, seeing tal do it again but in a Recovering Evil God kinda way would actually be interesting

Honestly, I could see that work really well with his character, the whole 'leave a place better than how you found it' philosophy applies very much to Cognoza/Aeor, and even if Molly is very much a devil-may-care on the outside, he'd be very much aware of what would happen if he relinquished the reins on the whole thing and Lucien came back to the forefront.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Keru posted:

Honestly, I could see that work really well with his character, the whole 'leave a place better than how you found it' philosophy applies very much to Cognoza/Aeor, and even if Molly is very much a devil-may-care on the outside, he'd be very much aware of what would happen if he relinquished the reins on the whole thing and Lucien came back to the forefront.

It'd be interesting to see Molly react to how the rest of the party changed in his absence too, embodying his philosophy at least partly because of his passing. As well as to knowing his past, and what it'd mean to him now that he knows it despite himself.

DeathSandwich posted:

I think that might be part of why people are kind of incredulous about this being the endgame of the campaign.

It's certainly why I find it unbelievable. If it is though, then it is. I just hope they get around to all the interesting plot threads they set up, but unless they step up the number of post campaign stuff considerably, then I really doubt it. Any post campaign stuff will presumably be one shots too, which is fairly limiting even with several hours a pop.

I also just realized this essentially means no more stuff exploring the Kryn, and that's really a shame since their whole "not evil, no longer worshipping a dark God, but still culty in a different way" mindset and culture is really cool and there seems like a good bit to mine from the various court factions, the long lives and multiple histories of the various members etc

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 22, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Whoops, double posted by accident.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I also just realized this essentially means no more stuff exploring the Kryn, and that's really a shame since their whole "not evil, no longer worshipping a dark God, but still culty in a different way" mindset and culture is really cool and there seems like a good bit to mine from the various court factions, the long lives and multiple histories of the various members etc

starting the next game in the Dynasty like a decade or two later would be really interesting, we've had enough setup to know some of what their Deal is but not nearly enough

you could also let some people (cough cough Liam) do things like play relatively new consecuted people, who're making the transition from their original lives to remembering their past history, there's tons of potential for drama and brooding

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm assuming Matt is going to transition to a new part of the setting again, rather than using someplace he's already kind of explored that played a big part of the current campaign. Maybe Marketh, since there wasn't much done there despite Vox Machina spending a few episodes in the area, or the southern half of Tal'Dorei, since I don't think Vox Machina did much there either. The Wikia says there's a chain of islands called the "Shattered Teeth" too, even though it's not showing up on the maps of Exandria, which contain a few cities and some civilization and could be an interesting starting point for a new campaign. He might also just go off Exandria altogether, since there's no real requirement he always use Exandria really.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Since this campaign is coming to an end, I've been thinking about my 10 favorite singular moments. In no particular order and spoilered for folks who haven't caught up with C2 yet.

1. Marisha's reaction to realizing they had found Keyleth's mother
2. Jester's modify memory on the hag
3. The group's realization that the Traveler was Artagan
4. The group's first encounter with Pumat Sol
5. The encounter with the armless goblin vendor in the city of beasts
6. Sam's shoulder dance at the start of the first episode. He's so excited!
7. The shopping for books at the Chastity's Nook and finding Tusk Love
8. Fjord dropping the accent in moments of stress and the group catching it
9. Not a single moment but every single Sending spell
10. Yasha's "I smell like crayons"

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I kinda hope we get a Talesin one-shot or short run in Raveloft during the break. It would also be kinda cool if CR gets to be the ones announcing one of the other 2 settings getting released by running a game in it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm assuming Matt is going to transition to a new part of the setting again, rather than using someplace he's already kind of explored that played a big part of the current campaign. Maybe Marketh, since there wasn't much done there despite Vox Machina spending a few episodes in the area, or the southern half of Tal'Dorei, since I don't think Vox Machina did much there either. The Wikia says there's a chain of islands called the "Shattered Teeth" too, even though it's not showing up on the maps of Exandria, which contain a few cities and some civilization and could be an interesting starting point for a new campaign. He might also just go off Exandria altogether, since there's no real requirement he always use Exandria really.

yeah you're probably right, i just also crave more dynasty content. marquet would be cool though, just a little bit defined as a region and still pretty open for expansion

i suspect leaving Exandria would be a poor business decision lol, just because there's such a clear content pipeline right now where hours spent designing lore for the campaign can be translated into books to further build out the world and expand the brand, which can then be re-used later in the campaign, etc etc etc

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Hulk Smash! posted:

Since this campaign is coming to an end, I've been thinking about my 10 favorite singular moments. In no particular order and spoilered for folks who haven't caught up with C2 yet.

when was no. 8?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I don't remember the exact episodes but there was a few time when Fjord went from Texan to English accent and you can see the rest of the cast react to the difference. It always felt very purposeful on Travis' part and a cool backstory beat.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
From a couple of Youtube compilations, episodes 37 and 47 have reactions in character. Can’t help with timestamps though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

queeb posted:

c1e43 motha loving zahra is back! Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is great. I skipped the kashaw stuff but he seems really great too

Among other things, I really appreciate that she played a Warlock without Eldritch Blast. (Even though most of her damage was from a misunderstanding about Witch Bolt.)

Cheston fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 22, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mage_Boy posted:

I kinda hope we get a Talesin one-shot or short run in Raveloft during the break. It would also be kinda cool if CR gets to be the ones announcing one of the other 2 settings getting released by running a game in it.

Spelljammer is what I'm hoping for. I just really, really want them to have to deal with the "No fire in the phologiston, this means you, if you have open flame you all die no saves so pay attention, and don't give me that fire immunity bullshit, you're now stuck in the middle of space with no transport and no way to breath so congrats on dying slow instead of fast" rule.

Plus, space pirates and murder asteroids! Bipedal hippopotami with guns and huge egos!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hulk Smash! posted:

I still think about number 2 sometimes, what a loving goated move

also the entire cathedral fight.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol travis thinking real hard about not taking a long rest to avoid losing his 23 str he built up with craven edge

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Overlord K posted:

I just want someone to play a dwarf next campaign cause they haven't done that yet and I can only imagine the voice work fun that might come from that.

More than a dwarf, I want to see a Lady Dwarf just to see what they'd do with it, since most dwarfy characters tend to be gruff scottish dudes.

Edit - I also want to see the Tasha's ranger revamp because I want to see if they were able to un-gently caress the class. I think a Horizon Walker or a Swarmkeeper would be interesting to see.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 22, 2021

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

More than a dwarf, I want to see a Lady Dwarf just to see what they'd do with it, since most dwarfy characters tend to be gruff scottish dudes.

If you haven't yet, watch the Adventures of the Darington Brigade one-shot to see just that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DeathSandwich posted:

A lot of female Dwarves tend to be gruff Scottish dudes in effect too. Terry Pratchett's Discworld Dwarves having lots of them be fed up with having to wait until they're married to find out their partner's sex and a lot of young Dwarves being clean shaven etc. is fun just because the archetype is so well set at this point, and while a lot of people play around with Elves and Goblins and poo poo, Dwarves are still almost always just Tolkien's Dwarves with little to no effort to differentiate them.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hulk Smash! posted:

I still sometimes just go back and rewatch 1 its such a good moment

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I still sometimes just go back and rewatch 1 its such a good moment

I just rewatched it again now, and yeah, it's still just as amazing to watch. I love how Sam sells his reaction when he's explaining it to the others of "I saw it and I was like...wait, WHAT!" and then you see him at the time and his expression doesn't even change as he's looking at the chat. His poo poo eating grin as he leans forward, bobbing around while Marisha slowly realizes what it means is great too. That must have been one hell of a car-ride home for Matt.

Edit: I'm watching the Jester Cupcake video again now too, and man, Laura does such a great job selling the "helpless little girl" thing so Matt'll underestimate her and miss what she's doing. Taliesin and Beau are really buying her act too, and both react so completely differently to it as well. It's great. Poor Marisha, she was so ready to retire Beau in that moment, and Laura just upends everything so completely that Marisha is just sat back stewing in her brooding and trying to make sense of what it means for her while everyone else is just laughing with shock/joy.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 22, 2021

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think this is what I'm going to miss the most when the campaign ends

tsob posted:

Edit: I'm watching the Jester Cupcake video again now too, and man, Laura does such a great job selling the "helpless little girl" thing so Matt'll underestimate her and miss what she's doing. Taliesin and Beau are really buying her act too, and both react so completely differently to it as well. It's great. Poor Marisha, she was so ready to retire Beau in that moment, and Laura just upends everything so completely that Marisha is just sat back stewing in her brooding and trying to make sense of what it means for her while everyone else is just laughing with shock/joy.

I saw one that had the chat reaction to it and it just exemplifies how bad the chat really is. All the people falling for it and whinging that Laura is about to ruin her character and "if she goes through with it they'll stop watching" and then BAM the perfect example of why they just need to STFU and let the players play the drat game.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

queeb posted:

Will Friedle is such a great dude and I wish he would pop up again. Not only is he a great actor but he's probably the second best tactical genius player they have after Sam.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

xarph posted:

Will Friedle is such a great dude and I wish he would pop up again. Not only is he a great actor but he's probably the second best tactical genius player they have after Sam.

"How's your family" is the sort of precision strike that season 2 is sorely missing

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
C3 is going to be the surprise launch of 5E Spelljammer.

Also C2 really really needed more guest players

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think mine has to be the conversation between Nott and Yasha:

I killed my whole family. I'll throw you under a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Random question: I swear I remember one of Matt's NPCs confirming at some point that there's multiple Prime Material planes but I can't remember who said it or when. Fairly sure it was in C2. Halas maybe?

Does it ring a bell for anyone? There's this episode transcript search tool that could help pinpoint the moment if you remember the right wording.