Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for switching to a sleeveless shirt at my gf’s work party and for talking about all my anime tats to some of her coworkers?

Hot take, this guy is okay for putting on extra deodorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

For real. I have a very distinct memory of my Dad putting on socks with sandals as a joke and going "Hallo, mein name ist Hans" in a bad German accent on holiday once. We were at a campsite and there very well may have been Germans around when he said it.

At least he didn't mention the war I guess. :shrug:

Exactly. It is very comfortable. But not comfortable enough to be seen in public with.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for switching to a sleeveless shirt at my gf’s work party and for talking about all my anime tats to some of her coworkers?

Those are all cool, classic animés so the guy is nta. Woulda been a while different verdict if he'd had worse taste though.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Whorelord posted:

For real. I have a very distinct memory of my Dad putting on socks with sandals as a joke and going "Hallo, mein name ist Hans" in a bad German accent on holiday once. We were at a campsite and there very well may have been Germans around when he said it.

"You started it!"
"No, we did not."
"Yes you did, you invaded Poland!"

Anyway, more content!

AITA for suggesting my sister get a smaller portion of inheritance or none at all?

quote:

I'm a 35 year old woman. I got a younger brother (23 James) and an older sister (38 Jesse). Our father passed away due to an accident when we were small and our mom raised us alone. We didn't struggle or anything. My father left a good sized estate + the insurance money. Recently our mother had a health scare with cancer. It turned out to be benign but she still wanted to make sure her affairs are in order. About a week ago, she sat us all down to tell us how she had divided her estate, our father's estate and all inheritance.

I was a bit outraged to hear Jesse was getting more than James and me. Jesse isn't married and doesn't have any children. She has a rabbit. I have fours kids and James has two. I felt like we needed the money more than Jesse. Mon was even giving her the house. Jesse doesn't need that big house all to herself and rabbit.

I told my mom how I felt and suggested that Jesse get less. James and I have kids, spouses and more expenses than her. I have twins and she has a rabbit! I told mom she shouldn't get the house and all that money. Instead of suggested mom put a clause in her will that states if my sister doesn't get married or has a child within a certain amount of time, she gets nothing. I felt like that was fair. Jesse has a successful small business (makes jewelry). She doesn't need an inheritance. My mom told me I was being very disrespectful and it was her business how she divided up everything! She said she left what she felt was fair to me, my sister and my brother.

I screamed at her that she was clearly playing favorites and if she wants to see her grandkids again, she should reconsider her will! James didn't agree with everything but he thought that Jesse shouldn't get our childhood home. It has more room for a family, not a single woman and rabbit. I haven't spoken to my mom or Jesse since then. Our family members are saying I need to respect our mom's choice and my husband said to let it go.

AITA?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Love that the proposed alternative is that the sister gets nothing so long as she doesn't have any kids and is making the big bucks from her little jewelry store. Tells you everything you need to know about OP.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Love that the proposed alternative is that the sister gets nothing so long as she doesn't have any kids and is making the big bucks from her little jewelry store. Tells you everything you need to know about OP.

OP has that "lol single people go to the back of the line, we're parents" Disneyland energy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also yes but I'm thinking more in the "living beyond their means" heiress sense.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for suggesting my sister get a smaller portion of inheritance or none at all?

I am dreading this poo poo coming up when my own mom dies because all three of my sisters are already talking about inheritance and have some really absurd ideas about how much my mom has to leave to us. Meanwhile I've told my mom that she has spent most of her life earning what she does have and she should spend it all on vacations and a camper or whatever else before she goes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

8one6 posted:

I am dreading this poo poo coming up when my own mom dies because all three of my sisters are already talking about inheritance and have some really absurd ideas about how much my mom has to leave to us. Meanwhile I've told my mom that she has spent most of her life earning what she does have and she should spend it all on vacations and a camper or whatever else before she goes.

This is basically the plot of King Lear. Hope it works out better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

8one6 posted:

I've heard of people who had extremely ironclad wills set up and don't tell their family, and people who have that plus safety deposit boxes or safes that a specific person is the only one trusted to get into if their fall comatose or die.

It's one of those things that brings out the absolute loving worst in people, to the point of relatives showing up to clear out a house before the heirs even aware their parents have died.

My family doesn't have a rare jewelry collection or anything, but once you hit late age high value, small assets like that need to be stored offsite or in secure access conditions so the estate is the owner while the will goes through probate. Some rear end in a top hat cousins showing up to take the TV isn't that big of a deal relative to the long term estate issue.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 22, 2021

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Going to be plenty of relationship thread drama as the boomers die, intergenerational welath transfer is going to be the last chance for a lot of people to get into property or have retirement savings etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Going to be plenty of relationship thread drama as the boomers die, intergenerational welath transfer is going to be the last chance for a lot of people to get into property or have retirement savings etc.

Gonna be a shitload of cases where if it isn't open that all the boomers' money went into hospice care, it turns out they're triple reverse underwater mortgaged their house and gave all their savings away to Trump, televangelists and Nigerian scammers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Unless explicitly discussed and agreed by all parties the only fair way to divide an estate (barring extraordinary circumstances, but even those should be discussed), is equally among all children (and if grandchildren are involved, equal amounts to each of them, although not necessarily as much as the children get).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Only if the spouse predeceases and no will has been left specifying another split.

Rarely happens, though, because a lot of people have their estate's value tied up in property that has sentimental value (like the family house or heriloom jewelry) and would have to be liquidated to split evenly.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

oh jay posted:

Demi Lovato raged against sugar-free froyo.

Some say that them coming out as non-binary a month later generate some good press to erase that.

edit: very bad page snipe. Let's do a quick search for non-binary. Get a load of this secure man.

My (26F) BF (24M) found men's hygiene products in my shower and now thinks I'm cheating. They're mine.

My theory is that mens products are made to smell good to women, and womens are desigened to smell good to men. So I use mens bodywash because I think it smells nicer. My boyfriend thankfully didn't think I was cheating on him though because he's not insane.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Nettle Soup posted:

My theory is that mens products are made to smell good to women, and womens are desigened to smell good to men. So I use mens bodywash because I think it smells nicer. My boyfriend thankfully didn't think I was cheating on him though because he's not insane.

so women naturally like those Sports scents and men naturally like florals.... what scents do nb people get naturally drawn to, do you think

kru
Oct 5, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

so women naturally like those Sports scents and men naturally like florals.... what scents do nb people get naturally drawn to, do you think

flowersports smells

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Only if the spouse predeceases and no will has been left specifying another split.

Rarely happens, though, because a lot of people have their estate's value tied up in property that has sentimental value (like the family house or heriloom jewelry) and would have to be liquidated to split evenly.

My all time favorite was the 5 children who each demanded the property be split into 5 portions so they all got their share, except each portions was basically useless since they wouldn't sell to each other or agree on anything.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Nettle Soup posted:

I’m a cis male and sometimes you just wanna smell like flowers & nice stuff instead of TURBO RUSH SPORTS CLEAN

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

Coffee and edible crayons, just like the rest of us

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pentyne posted:

My all time favorite was the 5 children who each demanded the property be split into 5 portions so they all got their share, except each portions was basically useless since they wouldn't sell to each other or agree on anything.

Ah, the plot of TF2

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

I live on a very built up island where there's very little space and a lot of seemingly abandoned/derelict housing a lot of which is tied up in inheritance disputes exactly like this.

It's poo poo.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I like the one where they leave everything to their PA rather than their lovely kids - who go mental

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite part is when the greedy motherfuckers refuse to comprehend the fact that part of the estate went to end of life care and another part will be going towards the funeral.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I like the one where they leave everything to their PA rather than their lovely kids - who go mental

You're thinking of the movie "Knives Out".

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Elfface posted:

You're thinking of the movie "Knives Out".

:thejoke:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nettle Soup posted:

My theory is that mens products are made to smell good to women, and womens are desigened to smell good to men.

This is my theory for my upcoming line of colognes/perfumes that smell like:

1. Grilled steak
2. Crawfish/Shrimp boil
3. Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies

"They'll be hungry......for YOU"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bolding is OP's
Is this a healthy relationship? How do I go about nicely telling my wife I'm not happy with her being so controlling?

quote:

We've been married for over 20 years. These are the "red flags" I've started noticing in the last few years. I'll try my best to summarize in a concise manner, but it's really scattered when it comes to the concerning things I've noticed.

- My wife seems to feel that she can "police" me when it comes to my doctor/physiotherapist/therapist. This includes "tattletaling" to the healthcare professionals about my habits. She was the one who made me go to physiotherapy and therapy and she's often the one pushing me to go to the doctor when honestly, I've already come to terms that these people can't really help me. For instance, the physiotherapist told me to stop doing certain exercises at the gym with one arm which has not worked out well because my one arm has gotten almost 50% smaller as a result. I'd rather just use that arm, go through the pain and at least look normal. My wife started tattetaling to my physiotherapist, telling her (the PT) that I'm doing "unapproved" gym workouts behind the PT's back. I get it that if my wife was the one going to PT, she'd just follow all their instructions and not do things. That's her style, but its not mine and I just wish she'd respect it.

This isn't a new habit of my wife's, just a few years ago, she took me in for a procedure. When I told her to be quiet because I wanted to get up (and the docs weren't letting me), she started going ballistic and yelled for the nurses to come lay me down again. She tattletales with my doctor, saying that I was up and about the same night after the surgery when I wasn't "supposed to be". It's like she expects me to be a "textbook case" where I must lie down for the prescribed however many days, walk around slowly for the next x number of days etc.

-She follows up this tattletaling with wanting to ignore me if I am complaining of pain. "Well, you didn't want to do what the docs/PT said, so you should have known you would get pain so don't complain about it" is what I am often told. She has no sympathy for me if I 'didn't listen" to the doc and end up with pain. To the point where I try to hide my pain from her because I know I'll get this statement out of her.

-The same issue has cropped up when it comes to foods. I had an issue with my stomach/GI tract and while it is annoying and painful at times, I'm not willing to give up foods or give up my lifestyle that easily. I told her this and I was like, "look, I know this isn't your life; it's mine. Thus, I'm asking for support and love as I do what I choose to with my life and body/health". I don't think it is food related but she does and is determined to "prove" it. She started actually mentally logging down what I was eating and then deciding to come and tell me that she thinks xxx food is causing my issue and that she wants me to stop eating that food. I tell her that no, I won't do that. But that doesn't stop her. She started secretly writing down my eating schedule and then correlating the foods she decided was the 'culprit'. Then she actually started wanting to change what we were eating. The kids and her would get something, but I'd be given something else to eat. It actually got so bad that I didn't even want to eat in front of her because I knew if I got sick from it (even randomly), she'd ban me from eating it because that food would go on the culprit list. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm a grown man who works and has a family and yet I'm hiding from my wife what I'm eating, how I'm working out, and how I'm feeling. That can't be healthy. For instance, I once went out for an outing with friends (pre-pandemic) and I really wanted to try a new Cajun fried chicken at a local eatery. Because I had an interview the same day, my wife started insisting with me that she didn't want me to have it. She wanted me to eat familiar foods before big events/outings. Which, when I complain to friends about her behaviours, they seem to agree with her because is obviously sounds like she is just caring and loving me and makes me simultaneously look like a jerk that won't follow directions. I told her that I'm fine with taking the risk, but she disagreed and told me I could only get the chicken AFTER the interview. And then god forbid if I actually do get sick (even randomly) from that chicken...it goes onto the list of forbidden foods again.

But sometimes I feel like she is hiding her habits under the idea of love and kindness.

-She wants things to be "textbook style". I've noticed this when we raised our kids, she got obsessed reading the books that said "at x months your baby will be able to do blah blah blah" and then she'd get mad if the kid didn't do exactly that. She'd want to rush the kid to a pediatrician because our kid didn't play role-play games as a toddler and she had read it was a sign of autism (btw, all our kids are totally normal)

-She's over corrective, at least to my opinion. If our kids just slightly are out of line, like if they can't sleep for the last few days or so, she starts to get worried and starts talking about whether we should get them to therapy etc. If the kids finish their math homework and there's just a few more errors this day (by random chance), she is "certain" that there is something wrong and she starts interrogating and drilling it out of the kids. If I get too angry about something, she tells me I need therapy. If I'm not saying anything to her about how I'm feeling, she tells me I need therapy. I feel like this is a bit too overcorrecive. I mean, her qualifications are a teacher, so maybe her correctional/fixer habits come from there and I overlooked it for many many years but it is just getting out of hand for me to handle.

-She says some stories that just seem out of whack and not believable. For instance, its weird how everytime I'm NOT around, my dog causes major issues. A little background: We have two dogs, one was hers and one I got last year. She was angry because I told everyone that we dont' have any issues whatsoever with the pets. She wanted me to lie and say that it is so difficult to have pets etc. I'm not sure if this was because she wanted to fit in with her friends or not. She was also mad because she wanted to introduce my dog to her dog using the technique the books had described and I didn't do that. No worries, the dogs get along great. But anyways, I started to notice, that suddenly, she started saying my dog was misbehaving and making huge messes pooping and puking everywhere when I WASN'T around. Then when I'd come home...there's no evidence of an ordeal whatsoever. No smell, no evidence, and miraculously she'd have everything cleaned and dried within less than an hour of me coming home. Even leather and paper goods are magically dry and not soiled. When I ask her why everything is so clean, her answer is that she worked hard. But I mean...how do you un-soil white leather and paper and get the smell out, have everything magically dried within an hour of it happening?

Don't get me wrong, I love my relationship...but is it time for me to say something? Everyone around me tells me she is just very loving and caring and that she's right. But I'm not sure. This doesn't seem normal because I'm not happy being in this life. When you have to hide how you feel and hide from your spouse in order to eat a granola bar...that's an issue IMo. How should I go about something like this?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Bolding is OP's
Is this a healthy relationship? How do I go about nicely telling my wife I'm not happy with her being so controlling?

At first, I was on the wife's side because he really does just sound like he refuses to follow directions and ignores his doctor's advice because he thinks he knows better, but by the end it's clear that they deserve each other.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Bolding is OP's
She follows up this tattletaling with wanting to ignore me if I am complaining of pain. "Well, you didn't want to do what the docs/PT said, so you should have known you would get pain so don't complain about it" is what I am often told. She has no sympathy for me if I 'didn't listen" to the doc and end up with pain.

The wife sounds exhausring but I believe it is a reaction to this shithead because of this right here. If you ignore doctors advice and continue to do the same things they explicity told you to stop doing because its causing your pain you get no sympathy.

That post reads like someone bitching their wife is treating them like a child while they act exactly like a child. Meanwhile the wife mentally snapped while watching her husband intentionally hurt himself and went too far into "overprotecrive mom" territory.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Whorelord posted:

He mentioned it once, but he thinks he got away with it alright.

EDIT: Goddamn it, someone beat me to it.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 22, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

8one6 posted:

All the more reason to be estranged from your whole family! I'm free from needing to deal with any of that as I assume my stepmother has arranged for everything to go to my racist, brainworm illiterate stepbrother.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

The wife sounds exhausring but I believe it is a reaction to this shithead because of this right here. If you ignore doctors advice and continue to do the same things they explicity told you to stop doing because its causing your pain you get no sympathy.

That post reads like someone bitching their wife is treating them like a child while they act exactly like a child. Meanwhile the wife mentally snapped while watching her husband intentionally hurt himself and went too far into "overprotecrive mom" territory.

It’s this. Acting as a parent to your partner will inevitably warp you and your relationship. Now they’re forever exasperated mom and petulant child.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

At first, I was on the wife's side because he really does just sound like he refuses to follow directions and ignores his doctor's advice because he thinks he knows better, but by the end it's clear that they deserve each other.

I can't blame her too much. He whines about it being a problem that their friends take the wife's side whenever they hear about what he does because it makes him look like a jerk. This strongly implies that he knows he's being an rear end in a top hat and just doesn't want to deal with any consequences thereof.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Warbadger posted:

I can't blame her too much. He whines about it being a problem that their friends take the wife's side whenever they hear about what he does because it makes him look like a jerk. This strongly implies that he knows he's being an rear end in a top hat and just doesn't want to deal with any consequences thereof.

I don’t have a problem with the way she’s treating him since he’s pretty much brought it on himself by deliberately ignoring medical instructions. The way he describes her behavior towards the kids and dog is not great though. Freaking out over the kids making mistakes on their homework isn’t cool, and wanting to lie to everyone about how difficult it is having two dogs is just weird. Also, possibly lying to him about the dog misbehaving. Their relationship seems like one half obliviousness and not giving a poo poo, and one half overbearing and high-strung.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don’t have a problem with the way she’s treating him since he’s pretty much brought it on himself by deliberately ignoring medical instructions. The way he describes her behavior towards the kids and dog is not great though. Freaking out over the kids making mistakes on their homework isn’t cool, and wanting to lie to everyone about how difficult it is having two dogs is just weird. Also, possibly lying to him about the dog misbehaving. Their relationship seems like one half obliviousness and not giving a poo poo, and one half overbearing and high-strung.

Oh yeah, from his account she's got her own issues. I just wonder how much of that stems from having to take care of a childish jerk.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Warbadger posted:

Oh yeah, from his account she's got her own issues. I just wonder how much of that stems from having to take care of a childish jerk.

I'm sure at least partly, which wouldn't be too bad if they weren't also inflicting their dysfunctional relationship and behaviors on their kids.

But I guess it's people like them that ensure this thread will go on forever.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

That happens all the time, ALL THE drat TIME. And they really don't give a poo poo about a surveyor suggesting they sell it and then split the proceeds, so they end up with plots that nobody will ever buy and that are completely unusable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Midnight Voyager posted:

That happens all the time, ALL THE drat TIME. And they really don't give a poo poo about a surveyor suggesting they sell it and then split the proceeds, so they end up with plots that nobody will ever buy and that are completely unusable.

There certainly are times when primogeniture makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Whorelord posted:

I used to work for an international company that twice a year we'd have a big meet up / party in one of the cities there was an office. I'd always joke that we could never have it at the Berlin office, 'cuz we'd all go out drinking and next thing you know we'd wake up in Poland again... They were surprisingly good sports about it.