Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I just got a new gaming rig and this game, and the performance isnt good compared to my hardware thats running it.

Which graphics settings are the most taxing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

I just got a new gaming rig and this game, and the performance isnt good compared to my hardware thats running it.

Which graphics settings are the most taxing?
Going to assume you're talking about FS2020. It's hard to tell what would work for you without knowing your rig, but at the same time, keep in mind that the game has a lot of optimization still needed and runs pretty CPU-bound in a lot of cases.

For example I have a 3090, 9700k, and 32 GB of RAM and at 3440x1440 and a mix of Ultra and High settings I get around 25-40 FPS on the ground (GPU usage is like 50-70%, very underused at this point), going up to around 60 FPS at cruise altitude. Of course it depends on what plane you're flying (airliners, especially the A320 with the FlyByWire mod, hit performance really hard in the cockpit - any non-screen cockpits that uses gauges mostly will usually run much better) and what scenery's around you at the moment (if you've got a lot of custom stuff around you like airports then expect it to perform worse). Weather especially is a rough one - if you're flying through clouds and have that setting up to High or Ultra, you'll get hit quite a bit on the GPU end.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I just reinstalled FS2020 onto a dedicated SSD because I wanted just one location for its 420 separate install/package/DLC/cache folders, and boy let me tell you, finding out that the bush trip saves get completely demolished was not a fun discovery

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Shipon posted:

Going to assume you're talking about FS2020. It's hard to tell what would work for you without knowing your rig, but at the same time, keep in mind that the game has a lot of optimization still needed and runs pretty CPU-bound in a lot of cases.

For example I have a 3090, 9700k, and 32 GB of RAM and at 3440x1440 and a mix of Ultra and High settings I get around 25-40 FPS on the ground (GPU usage is like 50-70%, very underused at this point), going up to around 60 FPS at cruise altitude. Of course it depends on what plane you're flying (airliners, especially the A320 with the FlyByWire mod, hit performance really hard in the cockpit - any non-screen cockpits that uses gauges mostly will usually run much better) and what scenery's around you at the moment (if you've got a lot of custom stuff around you like airports then expect it to perform worse). Weather especially is a rough one - if you're flying through clouds and have that setting up to High or Ultra, you'll get hit quite a bit on the GPU end.

Core i7, RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4, SSD.

It could be that im expecting too much, especially after how much the PC costed me. But then again, this guy on youtube has same gpu, cpu, but less ram and slower, and his visuals look better than mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrjoF713k18

I'm flying the cessna, so im staying close to cities, and flying around a lot of objects. I havent even really gone high altitude yet. I'm also trying to do VR with my oculus quest 2, and the performance is unusable. Non VR it's totally useable, just not great.

I think turning down or lowering a few taxing settings will make a big difference for me. You mentioned weather/clouds. If there are any others, please let me know people.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 18, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The video claimed to be 1080p. Was their resolution lower than yours?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft Flight Sim breaks more than just itself.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The video claimed to be 1080p. Was their resolution lower than yours?

Yeah it was. I'm using a 55" tv instead of a monitor. So resolution was pretty high. I'll try again with lower rez.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft Flight Sim breaks more than just itself.

That person has lots of love. So much love.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ChocNitty posted:

Yeah it was. I'm using a 55" tv instead of a monitor. So resolution was pretty high. I'll try again with lower rez.

Download a program called “oculus tray tool” and use that to create a profile for flight simulator. In that profile set ASW to “30hz”

It will run the game at 30FPS but interpolate the frames to make it as smooth as 90fps through some magic. It’s not perfect, sometimes there are visual artifacts from that but they are small and easy to get used to. Once you’ve set that you’ll have lots of headroom to enable more visual enhancements in VR and have a nice smooth experience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lord Stimperor posted:

I did not have the experienec that VR gave me a great edge on other players in sim battles or IL2. In order to ID a plane as an enemy I had to get really close. As a result, the only strategy that I could pull off in VR was to either sneak onto other planes (and hope that no one notices) or look for dogfights that are going on already.

That's exactly what the top-scoring aces did, so don't feel bad !

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Flight simming in VR is a pain for spotting planes in games without labels, yeah, but I do appreciate what it does for the actual flight. Little stuff like being able to tell more easily if my altitude is changing without looking at dials, because I can more easily see that out the window. And it's dope with helicopters, especially when hovering, because those tiny corrections are so much easier to detect and make. Landing aircraft in general is also much easier for me in VR. But yeah, there are tradeoffs, especially if you have notes on your desk (like non-GPS navigation stuff) or are gonna fly for hours, and may be inconvenienced or uncomfortable with a headset on the whole time.

Now racing sims? Holy poo poo I'll never play them outside of VR ever again, if I can help it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That person has lots of love. So much love.

More love than the piece of poo poo who wrote that installer ever deserved.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FYI there is a 777 on the marketplace that is a total scam: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/captainsim-releases-boeing-777-for-msfs-buyer-beware/402470/134

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Download a program called “oculus tray tool” and use that to create a profile for flight simulator. In that profile set ASW to “30hz”

It will run the game at 30FPS but interpolate the frames to make it as smooth as 90fps through some magic. It’s not perfect, sometimes there are visual artifacts from that but they are small and easy to get used to. Once you’ve set that you’ll have lots of headroom to enable more visual enhancements in VR and have a nice smooth experience.

Thanks. I think the game is looking and running good after reducing the resolution. I didn’t know such a basic thing because I just came back from a 10 year break from using PC’s and PC gaming. I made a video, to show others if they think it looks right given my specs:

https://youtu.be/DB4oVaiIwSs

Now the final hurdle is getting it to run decently in VR, wirelessly using airlink with my Quest 2. I should be able to, its just a matter of finding that right tweak. Other games like Half Life Alyx are looking and running great.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So let me get this straight… CS releases a Triple 7 and to keep the development time and COSTS down…they tell you UPFRONT that it uses the 747 gauges so that their is no confusion as to what you are buying. They even include screen shots showing the gauges so buyers can see BEFORE buying it.

One or two people buy it, then don’t like it, and come to the forums to rip the plane apart, rip the developer apart, and basically insult any one and every one who ever bought a CS product…

Give me a break! It is a $30 plane…$30!!! You can’t buy a steak dinner for $30, and for that money with CS you get a fully flyable airliner complete with multiple liveries, not to mention future updates as time permits.

I read every post on this thread and it seems a lot of people’s memories are rather short re: FSX and every single developer back then whose every product (including PMDG) were released with issues and took months (if ever) to correct them.

Simple solution…if you don’t like CS then don’t buy!

I am off to fly my new United 777…see ya on the ramp.

lol

Edit: This one made me chuckle

quote:

New 777 by Captain Sim…ple.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hey all just catching up here. Still don't own a gaming PC anymore. Has it been confirmed yet that MS FS will NOT be available on the Xbox One X, which is what I have? I assume it will just be the Series ones unfortunately.

So I'll have to weigh upgrading from an Xbox One X to a Series JUST for MS FS, or finally taking the plunge on a gaming PC and dropping ~$1.5k.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is maybe the worst time in history to build a gaming pc, so double your budget or hold off on that idea.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Enos Cabell posted:

This is maybe the worst time in history to build a gaming pc, so double your budget or hold off on that idea.

Looks like my budget was indeed off, I would aim to spend around $2k for this : https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-aurora-r12-desktop?~ck=mn

The version 2nd from cheapest with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 11700F and the other associated specs. Good enough for ~30-50 FPS on High in FS 2020? Ultra if I feel like pushing to low FPS?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JayKay posted:

Edit: This one made me chuckle

i liked this part personally

lmao this is eagle dynamics' entire business model. sell an "early access" plane that's barely functional, all the spergs immediately blow their load and buy it, now the company knows they've made 90% of the money they ever will for the module, no incentive to ever finish it.

loving dcs f-16

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Looks like my budget was indeed off, I would aim to spend around $2k for this : https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-aurora-r12-desktop?~ck=mn

The version 2nd from cheapest with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 11700F and the other associated specs. Good enough for ~30-50 FPS on High in FS 2020? Ultra if I feel like pushing to low FPS?

For 1080p that 3060ti build would probably hit your target, 1440p or higher though you might want to temper expectations a bit.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks. I think the game is looking and running good after reducing the resolution. I didn’t know such a basic thing because I just came back from a 10 year break from using PC’s and PC gaming. I made a video, to show others if they think it looks right given my specs:

https://youtu.be/DB4oVaiIwSs

Now the final hurdle is getting it to run decently in VR, wirelessly using airlink with my Quest 2. I should be able to, its just a matter of finding that right tweak. Other games like Half Life Alyx are looking and running great.

For the record, the tweak I suggested is a VR only tweak.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I got extremely lucky on an Amazon drop for a 3080 and have an 8th gen(?) intel processor and the game runs pretty solidly at mostly max graphics - a few heavy hitters on high/medium - at 1440p. I have definitely hit some drops that make me want to optimize and turn things down a little more, because I usually get them on the Airbus/CRJ on final approach, which is when you don't want to lose frames. GA planes that don't have a ton of added system complexity run totally fine except for lots of planes/scenery areas like JFK.

That's all on flat screen - I had some trouble running VR really at all months back and haven't made a new attempt for several patches. It didn't run very high of graphics at all, but it did run. This was with a Reverb G2, so very high res. The plane and screens were all readable/flyable, but its really tough to enjoy the game at that low of graphics when you know how pretty it is on flat screen.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The game is really CPU limited.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Zero One posted:

Yeah. I have an i5 9600k and a 3060ti and I run the game at 4k with 80% scaling, all settings on high with ultra clouds and I get... 45 fps, just like everyone else.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Zero One posted:

IIRC it's not even just CPU limited, it's single thread limited.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am hoping that if the Series X version ever actually releases, that will come with a huge optimization overhaul for the PC version too, including something reaching acceptable load times. :P I know the chances of that happening are like somewhere in the ballpark of 0 - 5% likely.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Scruff McGruff posted:

IIRC it's not even just CPU limited, it's single thread limited.

Yes that's true too.

I did mean that even a 3080 wouldn't be a big improvement if your CPU was old or slow.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

To add to this, they sent a takedown notice threatening legal action to flightsim.to, the biggest MSFS community mod/add-on site, for hosting freeware liveries for their 777. They claim that under the (almost certainly legally unenforceable) terms of their license they own ALL freeware liveries made for the 777, and on top of that they've apparently snagged all the liveries that were on flightsim.to and are rehosting them via their own proprietary add-on software without permission or credit from the original creators.

It's a good old-fashioned simworld trainwreck.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
For such a chill game the community around it sure does seem full of assholes.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

To add to this, they sent a takedown notice threatening legal action to flightsim.to, the biggest MSFS community mod/add-on site, for hosting freeware liveries for their 777. They claim that under the (almost certainly legally unenforceable) terms of their license they own ALL freeware liveries made for the 777, and on top of that they've apparently snagged all the liveries that were on flightsim.to and are rehosting them via their own proprietary add-on software without permission or credit from the original creators.

It's a good old-fashioned simworld trainwreck.

I seem to recall these guys have been dodgy since long before this. Can’t remember specifics other than it seemed doubtful I would ever buy one of their products. Anyone remember details?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mailer posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but you must not know sim communities.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

JayKay posted:

Give me a break! It is a $30 plane…$30!!! You can’t buy a steak dinner for $30, and for that money with CS you get a fully flyable airliner complete with multiple liveries, not to mention future updates as time permits.
Price is always a point of contention, given the existence of a few decent freeware projects and the A32NX. So everyone mounts their high horse when it comes to price.

Similar happened to the DC Design F-15, where the developer straight out said that it's more oriented towards fun and usability than being study level, and then 15$, or whatever I paid, is apparently too much. People ripping into it, bitching about stray low res textures, therefore it being an "overpriced piece of crap". Of course, if you go profile surfing, it's 95% DCS guys that are complaining.

I said come in! posted:

I am hoping that if the Series X version ever actually releases, that will come with a huge optimization overhaul for the PC version too, including something reaching acceptable load times. :P I know the chances of that happening are like somewhere in the ballpark of 0 - 5% likely.
MSFS seems to have the GTA5 problem, where it's parsing trillions of JSONs.

They really have to do something about the loading times, because that's probably not gonna fly (lol) on consoles.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 23, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mailer posted:

Literally for ever.

I remember when Novalogic (of all developers) and Lockheed basically tried to quash anyone from putting any of their fighters in a sim.

IIRC at the end of the day it was decided because the fighters were US taxpayer funded no one company had a right to use their likeness.... or something like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

slidebite posted:

I remember when Novalogic (of all developers) and Lockheed basically tried to quash anyone from putting any of their fighters in a sim.

IIRC at the end of the day it was decided because the fighters were US taxpayer funded no one company had a right to use their likeness.... or something like that.

That loving owns.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I just got a T.16000m HOTAS mostly for Star War Squadrons and Elite Dangerous, and hopefully other stuff. I know those aren't exactly flight sim games but I'm completely lost with how to set this thing up with various keybinds or even what some of the switches are for. Does anyone know of like good general tutorial links for this kind of thing?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Booyah- posted:

I just got a T.16000m HOTAS mostly for Star War Squadrons and Elite Dangerous, and hopefully other stuff. I know those aren't exactly flight sim games but I'm completely lost with how to set this thing up with various keybinds or even what some of the switches are for. Does anyone know of like good general tutorial links for this kind of thing?

It's really something you have to take on a case by case basis per game. Some will have a sensible default setup that you can use as a starting point, and some won't. In some rare instances (like DCS), you can find user profiles to download.

One thing I'd suggest is loading up the windows game controllers control panel.

In there, check out the properties for your stick, and you'll see how all the controls are labeled. Press buttons and move the axes to see them light up. It can be helpful to be a little familiar with what's what when you're poking around in settings.

Beyond that, there isn't much for it beyond trial and error to find what you like. If you find something that has a good default setup, you may get used to that a bit and then try to recreate that in other games.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It definitely depends on how much you know the game or plane when you start it up. Elite you basically want everything bound, probably the same for Star Wars.

I approached elite bindings as simply as “what button would I logically hit to do this” and if it’s a red thumb button on the throttle, boy that sounds good for boosting. Beyond that I tried to keep things logically grouped together. Put all the targeting hot keys on one hat switch. If it has to do with boost or super cruise or whatever stick that all around the throttle. Save the weird reach buttons for things like lights and cargo scoop and heat sinks or whatever.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I'd recommend looking around online for a fillable PDF of button mappings for your stick so that you can have something to document your bindings for each game and throw up on a second monitor or your phone to refer to while in-game until you get used to them. I did this for my Gladiator NXT and it's extremely useful for someone like me that finds the game prompts of "to switch targets press BUTTON 23" useless. Made a big difference both in performance and in memorizing the bindings.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay, for five flights in a row, MSFS crashed when approaching the transition waypoint to a STAR :( Now I have to research why that is; it didn't happen prior to this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

For what it's worth, I've been having issues with constant CTD's on finals.

Seem to be more prevalent when I use the in game flight planner.