Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

WalletBeef posted:

Here's my Agile Story:

I'm a software developer with about 18 years of professional experience. We recently transitioned to Agile, here is my story.

1. If you were a lovely employee before the transition, you are likely fired by now.

2. If you were a project manager before, you're a scrum master now.

3. If you were a manager before , you're probably a product owner now or (gasp) a people leader.

4. If you were a software developer before, you're on the development team now.

5. If you were literally ANYTHING else , congrats , you're on the development team now.

My development team consists of 6 people:

3 are castaways from previous roles , not surprisingly, none of them can write a for loop in JavaScript.

1 is an intern, very smart, got a comp sci degree, likely won't stay with the team after his rotation ends.

Myself and 1 other (both comp sci degrees, senior developers). We are tasked with teaching the skillset. We basically pair up with the other employees to teach them and help them out.

The whole thing is insane at times. We have a huge backlog of work and pressure to deliver , but we also have to pair up and ensure people learn.

Half of the team can't write a for loop in JavaScript, and as one of 2 the senior developers in the group, we're supposed to teach these people when they have no interest in learning it themselves.

So then we get into these situations where someone takes a Jira Card for a work item and has to be told EXACTLY how to do it by a senior developer, then they don't learn enough from it or don't struggle enough, so the next time something comes along, they haven't grown from It. Unless it's a very straightforward thing : it takes 10x as long as it should.

And if it's writing new software (rather than just maintaining old stuff) the new dev team members are helpless.

We keep getting castaways from other teams yet we never hire someone for the team that actually went to school for loving software development and management WONDERS why it takes new developers to come up to speed.

Software development is easy right? Why aren't they learning faster? Why aren't you producing more? You realize your review is based upon how you develop these employees , right?

:11tea:

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WalletBeef posted:

Here's my Agile Story:

I'm a software developer with about 18 years of professional experience. We recently transitioned to Agile, here is my story.

1. If you were a lovely employee before the transition, you are likely fired by now.

2. If you were a project manager before, you're a scrum master now.

3. If you were a manager before , you're probably a product owner now or (gasp) a people leader.

4. If you were a software developer before, you're on the development team now.

5. If you were literally ANYTHING else , congrats , you're on the development team now.

My development team consists of 6 people:

3 are castaways from previous roles , not surprisingly, none of them can write a for loop in JavaScript.

1 is an intern, very smart, got a comp sci degree, likely won't stay with the team after his rotation ends.

Myself and 1 other (both comp sci degrees, senior developers). We are tasked with teaching the skillset. We basically pair up with the other employees to teach them and help them out.

The whole thing is insane at times. We have a huge backlog of work and pressure to deliver , but we also have to pair up and ensure people learn.

Half of the team can't write a for loop in JavaScript, and as one of 2 the senior developers in the group, we're supposed to teach these people when they have no interest in learning it themselves.

So then we get into these situations where someone takes a Jira Card for a work item and has to be told EXACTLY how to do it by a senior developer, then they don't learn enough from it or don't struggle enough, so the next time something comes along, they haven't grown from It. Unless it's a very straightforward thing : it takes 10x as long as it should.

And if it's writing new software (rather than just maintaining old stuff) the new dev team members are helpless.

We keep getting castaways from other teams yet we never hire someone for the team that actually went to school for loving software development and management WONDERS why it takes new developers to come up to speed.

Software development is easy right? Why aren't they learning faster? Why aren't you producing more? You realize your review is based upon how you develop these employees , right?

:11tea:

Producer: "And what do you call this act?"
WalletBeef: "Agile!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Changed my mind. Now I'm fairly sure Agile is a memetic virus that infects companies and fucks them up from the inside out. As the company rots infected upper management move to another company and start the cycle anew.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
agile is bad but to be fair the situation you are describing doesnt seem like it was caused by anything specific to the agile methodology, more just run of the mill idiot leadership managing a team/company into its grave

anyway, yeah, get out of there now. market for even halfway decent software developers is white hot still theres no reason to stick around at a deadend job you hate

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Slayerjerman posted:

WTF#5
Worked at a busy gas station in high-school in Oregon where you can't pump your own gas, I had to do it for you. Job wasn't hard or anything, but one super busy weekend I was the only attendant running the pumps, lots of customers paying cash.

I'd run each sale inside to the cashier, whom was the boss's bitch rear end daughter. This oval office was supposedly putting the cash in the til and closing out each sale. End of the day Manager confronts me about pocketing nearly 2 grand in cash from sales and that whore said I stole it.

I just stop and look at him in the eye, are you for real? I lost my poo poo jumped the counter and grabbed this bitch's purse from under the counter and we were shocked by how much cash she had stuffed in there from the entire day, it was exactly the amount missing from the til, go figure.

I handed him the purse, said gently caress you and rage quit. For 3 days following they kept calling asking when I'm coming back to work.

Turns out she was pocketing cash from other attendants.

Lmao I’m not normally one to come down on gendered language but Jesus man, it’s 2021 lmfao.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I have alot more gender specific words for anyone like her. Or would the PC police perfer I call these people by some cutsey codename like "Beckys" or "Karens" or some poo poo?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

she/her works

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Slayerjerman posted:

I have alot more gender specific words for anyone like her. Or would the PC police perfer I call these people by some cutsey codename like "Beckys" or "Karens" or some poo poo?

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The hard C-word is now getting a week outside of the Australia and U.K. threads in GBS, second time a month, the third time, well good luck you may not be posting here ever again.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

settle down

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Slayerjerman posted:

i would like to hear the other gender specific words. please post them all

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Slayerjerman posted:

WTF#5
Worked at a busy gas station in high-school in Oregon where you can't pump your own gas, I had to do it for you. Job wasn't hard or anything, but one super busy weekend I was the only attendant running the pumps, lots of customers paying cash.

I'd run each sale inside to the cashier, whom was the boss's bitch rear end daughter. This oval office was supposedly putting the cash in the til and closing out each sale. End of the day Manager confronts me about pocketing nearly 2 grand in cash from sales and that whore said I stole it.

I just stop and look at him in the eye, are you for real? I lost my poo poo jumped the counter and grabbed this bitch's purse from under the counter and we were shocked by how much cash she had stuffed in there from the entire day, it was exactly the amount missing from the til, go figure.

I handed him the purse, said gently caress you and rage quit. For 3 days following they kept calling asking when I'm coming back to work.

Turns out she was pocketing cash from other attendants.

Man and you know some innocent guy has caught a criminal charge from the same scenario.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

what part of "and everyone clapped" did you fail to understand?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

what part of "and everyone clapped" did you fail to understand?

Yeah probably but that sort of thing is common.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Pekinduck posted:

Man and you know some innocent guy has caught a criminal charge from the same scenario.

Yeah, which is why it got me all riled up. I know atleast two guys that got fired from that situation because mgmt aka the owner didn't suspect his daughter on the video footage until it came to a conclusion as I mentioned previously. Then suddenly it was like a light bulb went on in his head for all the previous "theives" he kept firing.

I'm not posting to offend anyone. I just feel like I can clear my conscious by getting this off my chest, which is a good thing. I respect that the mods want to keep things in check.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 23, 2021

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

-

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 7, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

:suicide:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
"Aren't we excited to come back to work full time soon" he said, while I was polishing my CV to a mirror finish in another window.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Was remotely connected to someone's computer helping them set up a report. Watched them open their options to print a copy, well that's probably unnecessary but ok. Died a little as they unchecked grayscale and went with color. The report has a blue background... :(

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There's a two day online webinar offered by a industry organization that is interesting to me since it touches on some topics I have gaps in. Another new guy at the company also signed up. My boss who appears to go crazy not micro managing people and who reads every single e-mail he's cc in decided to randomly instruct our assistant to set this up in our biggest conference room, in person.

Why. We're 2 people. It's online. Parts of it is stuff I know already and I won't be able to work efficiently on other stuff on my notebook in this room. Why do I have to come to the office for this. why does he care.

This is the same boss who already said homeoffice only will not happen after the pandemic because it's not 'our company culture'. Half of the company is in another city or travelling anyway, and we've been doing fine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So that you can't work/slack at the same time. Because you cannot be trusted to control your attention.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Son of Rodney posted:

This is the same boss who already said homeoffice only will not happen after the pandemic because it's not 'our company culture'. Half of the company is in another city or travelling anyway, and we've been doing fine.

I fear my boss is going to hit me with this one soon

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was remotely connected to someone's computer helping them set up a report. Watched them open their options to print a copy, well that's probably unnecessary but ok. Died a little as they unchecked grayscale and went with color. The report has a blue background... :(

I’ve asked people why they are printing color for a black and white document, because our printer lease charges like 8˘ a sheet for color vs. half a penny for B&W, and been told that “it’s because the color tray has nicer paper”.

Motherfucker, it all comes from the same tray :doh:

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter, but it kills me that people feel the need to print color constantly just because it’s there.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

our printer just has the color option disabled, thank christ

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Well how else are they going to make the printout blue? It'll just be black on gray otherwise!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Because it costs my cheapskate employer more money and annoys a bean counter, so gently caress em. The real question is why aren't you printing in color? You buying the ink?

And I'm going to print all my RPG manuals in color on the office printer too. And my kid's homework.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Imagined posted:

Because it costs my cheapskate employer more money and annoys a bean counter, so gently caress em. The real question is why aren't you printing in color? You buying the ink?

And I'm going to print all my RPG manuals in color on the office printer too. And my kid's homework.

I was missing copies of cards in a "living card game" (for those that don't know, you buy a box of a set and get four copies of every card so you're not cracking packs). I also needed many copies of the same cards I was using in different decks. I photocopied the cards I did have and printed them in color at work, then just sleeved them up over other cards.

Color printing, baybee!

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006
My work has the option to print single-sided disabled on the printers themselves, so you can freely select single-sided and it appears to work, but when you go to pick up the 800 individually-addressed letters they’re all double-sided. We have high enough turnover that this happens to someone every few weeks, or more frequently, if someone forgets. Then you shred those 400 pages and send the print job to one specific printer in another building (three-years-plus old timers like me can tell you which one) that can print single sided. This is to save paper.

I work at a museum, so our dumb poo poo is sometimes fun dumb poo poo, like:

-Coworker didn’t want to wait for the freight elevator when transporting a mounted bear, so he wedged it into the passenger elevator. It tipped over and slightly mauled him (like four stitches)

-One of the curators realized that the weird sound he’d been hearing for a while was a historic geiger counter in the collections going off and we had to evacuate

-We don’t have nearly enough storage space so access corridors are frequently filled with taxidermy (and other large relatively low-value exhibits: player pianos, etc). Debate continues over whether the moose outside the first aid room constitutes a serious safety risk

-Last year one of the techs fell through the ceiling into a gallery during open hours, stood up, and walked out the main exit. Never came back as far as I know

Sometimes our dumb poo poo is just horrible c-suite people being sexist racist scumbags, terrible policies that make people less productive and managers abusing their employees like anywhere else though! Our ex-CEO once flipped out at my coworker (a fairly regular occurrence), shouted “I’ve taught on twelve continents” and then stormed out. Someone made up a little “Professor of Geography, University of Atlantis” sign but no one was brave enough to do anything with it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mayday mayday posted:

My work has the option to print single-sided disabled on the printers themselves, so you can freely select single-sided and it appears to work, but when you go to pick up the 800 individually-addressed letters they’re all double-sided. We have high enough turnover that this happens to someone every few weeks, or more frequently, if someone forgets. Then you shred those 400 pages and send the print job to one specific printer in another building (three-years-plus old timers like me can tell you which one) that can print single sided. This is to save paper.

Look at this guy, using a printer in some random distant building, and NOT adding a second, blank page to the template as the solution here.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Volmarias posted:

Look at this guy, using a printer in some random distant building, and NOT adding a second, blank page to the template as the solution here.
Why? It’s dumb company policy and company time.

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I mean yeah, that's certainly an option, but it's generally easier to tell Ashley, 18, Marketing Assistant, to walk to the other building than to get her to save a new copy of the template, remove the watermark, header, footer and extremely large corporate logo (which much be in colour) from the second page and add a page break in mail merge. Either way she's shredding the first 400 pages!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The forced duplex thing doesn't even make much sense, because paper is less than a cent per page. (Versus the colour printing thing a few posts up.)
I can understand defaulting to duplex.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

More museum stories please. That bear in the elevator was hilarious.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

~Coxy posted:

The forced duplex thing doesn't even make much sense, because paper is less than a cent per page. (Versus the colour printing thing a few posts up.)
I can understand defaulting to duplex.

Businesses use a FUCKLOAD of paper.

The first result when searching posted:

Despite the technology that exists today, file cabinets and document storage account for more than half of office space in the United States. An average employee uses approximately 10,000 pieces of paper every year, more than 1,400 of which aren’t even needed. For companies, this leads to an additional $80 in expenditures per individual, money that for both large and small companies could be better spent elsewhere.

A printer that can be locked into duplex only is probably used by 100 people. The $80 is more of the worst case scenario, but even the low end of $20 ends up paying for itself almost immediately by cutting a $2000 monthly cost per printer to $1000, on a printer that you might have spent $5k-$10k on. The wasted 400 pages becomes an absolute drop in the bucket.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

There's a two day online webinar offered by a industry organization that is interesting to me since it touches on some topics I have gaps in. Another new guy at the company also signed up. My boss who appears to go crazy not micro managing people and who reads every single e-mail he's cc in decided to randomly instruct our assistant to set this up in our biggest conference room, in person.

Why. We're 2 people. It's online. Parts of it is stuff I know already and I won't be able to work efficiently on other stuff on my notebook in this room. Why do I have to come to the office for this. why does he care.

Try to get him to allow you to order food so you can 100% follow non-stop / make it a working lunch. Order indian or whatever you can find that smells the strongest. Hilarity ensues.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

mayday mayday posted:

I work at a museum, so our dumb poo poo is sometimes fun dumb poo poo, like:

-Coworker didn’t want to wait for the freight elevator when transporting a mounted bear, so he wedged it into the passenger elevator. It tipped over and slightly mauled him (like four stitches)

-One of the curators realized that the weird sound he’d been hearing for a while was a historic geiger counter in the collections going off and we had to evacuate

-We don’t have nearly enough storage space so access corridors are frequently filled with taxidermy (and other large relatively low-value exhibits: player pianos, etc). Debate continues over whether the moose outside the first aid room constitutes a serious safety risk

-Last year one of the techs fell through the ceiling into a gallery during open hours, stood up, and walked out the main exit. Never came back as far as I know

Sometimes our dumb poo poo is just horrible c-suite people being sexist racist scumbags, terrible policies that make people less productive and managers abusing their employees like anywhere else though! Our ex-CEO once flipped out at my coworker (a fairly regular occurrence), shouted “I’ve taught on twelve continents” and then stormed out. Someone made up a little “Professor of Geography, University of Atlantis” sign but no one was brave enough to do anything with it

I love this and I want to believe that there is a vengeful spirit of a bear stalking your museum while everyone is distracted by office politics and arguing about the moose. it sounds like a Neil Gaiman book

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Dongsturm posted:

it sounds like a Neil Gaiman book

Starring Ben Stiller and Robin Williams

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
With Robin Williams playing the unseen spirit of the bear.

Too soon?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

goatface posted:

So that you can't work/slack at the same time. Because you cannot be trusted to control your attention.

Yup, pretty sure it's this. loving hell.

Spatule posted:

Try to get him to allow you to order food so you can 100% follow non-stop / make it a working lunch. Order indian or whatever you can find that smells the strongest. Hilarity ensues.

Unfortunately it's still just going to be me and my coworker in a 20 people conference room, but I should really try to get some free food put of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

Yup, pretty sure it's this. loving hell.
Unfortunately it's still just going to be me and my coworker in a 20 people conference room, but I should really try to get some free food put of it.

Advertise the free lunch and have 20+ppl slack off for the day