Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
That doesn’t allow for negatives right

At least I think that’s the joke. I haven’t done math in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

There are 3 fantastic new titles for this thread just in this one graphic

Edit : I’m voting gently caress YOU MOONBOIS

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alan Smithee posted:

oh it's pegging alright

Bitcoin: Just a lot of pegging each other

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Alan Smithee posted:

That doesn’t allow for negatives right

At least I think that’s the joke. I haven’t done math in a while

Yeah my very poor and old recollection is that a number between vertical pipes is an absolute, negatives are converted to positives.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/day-trader-owns-20-billion-rear end-coins-gamestop-dogecoin-bloomberg-2021-5-1030456785

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

did i miss an indication for what kind of value 20 billion rear end coins represents?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

did i miss an indication for what kind of value 20 billion rear end coins represents?

In now dollars that appears to be about $200.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty interesting that all the people that apparently never take a loss on any coin aren't posting these days. huh!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I hope this overall crash, 2021 itself, is what leads to bitcoin being replaced as the top cryptocurrency. Really dispel those myths that bitcoin is useful and worth all of the money people are paying for it.

my money is on ButtholeGold

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I hope this overall crash, 2021 itself, is what leads to bitcoin being replaced as the top cryptocurrency. Really dispel those myths that bitcoin is useful and worth all of the money people are paying for it.

my money is on ButtholeGold
"wait a minute"
*removes mustache from ButtholeGold*

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
10 tricks degenerate gamblers use to destroy the planet to avoid repaying their debts

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty interesting that all the people that apparently never take a loss on any coin aren't posting these days. huh!
nah they all saw it coming and shorted and they're too busy at the yacht dealership to post just yet

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Wondering how many "I took out a second mortgage and/or all of my spouse's money behind their back and invested all of it into bitcoin 4 days ago now it is all gone and I need to get it back in 24 hours or else I am getting divorced help" stories people are cooking up THIS time

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
looking forward to all this poo poo being worth less than 0 someday

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
if you want to explain to someone why they can't buy a video card or a hard disk these days, I wrote this for the Very Serious People. Ends with a rousing call to ban cryptos.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EorayMel posted:

Wondering how many "I took out a second mortgage and/or all of my spouse's money behind their back and invested all of it into bitcoin 4 days ago now it is all gone and I need to get it back in 24 hours or else I am getting divorced help" stories people are cooking up THIS time

since it's the third time around for those stories, they're not gonna go viral

instead we'll get "I took out a second mortgage and/or all of my spouse's money behind their back and invested all of it buying Pokemon cards to flip on ebay"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm not entirely certain how China possibly cracking down on mining translates to sharp falls in prices. Shouldn't the increased future difficulty in making more coins make the existing ones more valuable?

Did people just go "This is bad news. And it relates to Bitcoin. Therefore it is bad news for Bitcoin and I should sell."?

Or were they banking on China being part of the upcoming switch-over to crypto as the default currency?

Party Boat posted:

the entire crypto marketplace is underpinned by the Tether printer going brrrrrr

Turn it back on! All my holdings are falling apart.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 23, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

I'm not entirely certain how China possibly cracking down on mining translates to sharp falls in prices. Shouldn't the increased future difficulty in making more coins make the existing ones more valuable?

Did people just go "This is bad news. And it relates to Bitcoin. Therefore it is bad news for Bitcoin and I should sell."?

Or were they banking on China being part of the upcoming switch-over to crypto as the default currency?

The frisbee on the roof problem only lasts for a couple weeks, and anyways people trading bits coin are doing the transactions off chain because 7 transactions a second is too loving slow.

The price is entirely speculation, and propped up by Monopoly money. Cryptocurrency is rat poison squared.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Rinkles posted:

That’s a lot of rear end pennies

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

divabot posted:

if you want to explain to someone why they can't buy a video card or a hard disk these days, I wrote this for the Very Serious People. Ends with a rousing call to ban cryptos.

Cheers for this! I have, and read, your Bitcoin book. Good stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/defi100/status/1396361647149633537?s=21

https://twitter.com/defi100/status/1396439015839080449?s=21

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Funds are safe.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

The frisbee on the roof problem only lasts for a couple weeks, and anyways people trading bits coin are doing the transactions off chain because 7 transactions a second is too loving slow.

The price is entirely speculation, and propped up by Monopoly money. Cryptocurrency is rat poison squared.

It could potentially last for way longer than that, because difficulty adjustments are rate limited.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

well im relieved. seems like they have good security in place all around

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Bright Bart posted:

Pretty sure it didn't. A fuckload of margin traders got rekt on Binance, both going down and back up. The rekt appears to have coincided with the deployment of 500m tethers to Binance.

Bitcoin is basically not influenced by external news, current events and so on. The last time it was, was the COVID-19 lockdown. It's pretty much entirely internal market manipulations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

looking forward to all this poo poo being worth less than 0 someday

There is probably a future for cryptocurrency itself. Someone could invent a use for it someday and a lot of money is interested in it.

It's just a future where by a bunch of middle aged bitcoin proponents are going to get laughed at or have people roll their eyes when they ask if they take Bitcoin. Do you also power your car with whale oil old man? That poo poo was popular before I was born.

They will still trade it among themselves so it will have some value it will just be the crypto equivalent of myspace that some people refuse to leave. This is also the optimal scenario for Bitcoin's existence since the blockchain might actually be able to handle that amount of traffic.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There is probably a future for cryptocurrency itself. Someone could invent a use for it someday and a lot of money is interested in it.

It's just a future where by a bunch of middle aged bitcoin proponents are going to get laughed at or have people roll their eyes when they ask if they take Bitcoin. Do you also power your car with whale oil old man? That poo poo was popular before I was born.

They will still trade it among themselves so it will have some value it will just be the crypto equivalent of myspace that some people refuse to leave. This is also the optimal scenario for Bitcoin's existence since the blockchain might actually be able to handle that amount of traffic.

The first Bitcoin block was mined on spare CPU cycles. The very last Bitcoin block will be mined the same way.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Also Divabot it's okay that you capitalized on reading these threads you don't ever credit. Anyone could have written a book in the past ten years of SA cryptocurrency threads by ripping every main thought or theme that has developed here and claiming it as their own. Nobody else thought to and you did. That's fine, congratulations, you are getting paid.

don't also come here to shill your writing almost every time you post. You are not the author of most of your work so at least have some loving class and quit selling it where you stole it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Also Divabot it's okay that you capitalized on reading these threads you don't ever credit. Anyone could have written a book in the past ten years of SA cryptocurrency threads by ripping every main thought or theme that has developed here and claiming it as their own. Nobody else thought to and you did. That's fine, congratulations, you are getting paid.

don't also come here to shill your writing almost every time you post. You are not the author of most of your work so at least have some loving class and quit selling it where you stole it.

Hey uh, if your rage is legitimate, feel free to cite the sources or examples of it because not doing that makes you look very not mad that he put the effort into writing the book/making the website, etc

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lol

the only posts worth attribution are honky dong country's

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

loving lol what is this post

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

loving lol what is this post

divabot/David Gerard is a fraud that needs to stop shilling writing he largely stole from the decade long conversation other people have been having in these threads

not that complicated

nobody is begrudging the impulse to capitalize on something like that, just stop shilling so much

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Is the word 'buttcoin' used in the book? If so, 50% of the profits rightfully belong to YOSPOS.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying he ripped things word for word. I never bothered word searching posts in his books but anyone who has read these threads since 2011 or so has seen the internal narrative develop. Hundreds of people have crowdsourced some really good information and insights on bitcoin.

This guy wants to be the salesman of that information and claim the insights as his own that's fine, just don't be desperate enough to bring it back here for a few extra clicks.

The equivalent would be someone from the Starcitizen thread selling a book filled with anecdotes and insights the people there developed through tens of thousands of posts. I'm sure the time they paid $20,000 for a functional space door in their office and lied about it would be an interesting tidbit for a book. There were still like 50 people involved in discovering and figuring this poo poo out. If the end result of that is five years later one singular rear end in a top hat wants to claim he alone is responsible for knowing all of these weird and unique interesting things while also doing this bit where he got it? nah.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 23, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Divacoin, a new cryptocurrency you buy to purchase divabot article shares

Edit: Original post, do not steal.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

divabot/David Gerard is a fraud that needs to stop shilling writing he largely stole from the decade long conversation other people have been having in these threads

not that complicated

nobody is begrudging the impulse to capitalize on something like that, just stop shilling so much

Strong ham sandwiches impression, 7/10

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with the angry stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I agree with the angry stranger.